Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Fish so Expensive in Ireland?

• 20-02-2012 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

Seriously I cant get my head around this :confused:
    We are an island surrounded by water yet to buy a small piece of fish in a shop or restaurant costs a small fortune.
    Ive travelled a fair bit of the world an even the most landlocked water barren countries sell fish at a fraction of a cost of here.
    Anyone know the reason for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

i'm guessing its something to do with the spanish?

something about selling our rights so we have less to fish in?

i could be completly wrong though.

But you could say that about an awful lot of stuff in this country, we get our wallets raped everytime you go shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

Imigants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Wait wait wait wait wait...........we're an island? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's one of the things that's really piscine me off about this plaice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Because of the dumb commercial fishing laws we have here regarding quotas and waste.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

ICE HOUSE wrote: »
    We are an island surrounded by water yet to buy a small piece of fish in a shop or restaurant costs a small fortune.
    Ive travelled a fair bit of the world an even the most landlocked water barren countries sell fish at a fraction of a cost of here.

fish is so expensive because the mark up on it is so high.

most fishermen get feck all profit from a fish... its the wholesalers that buy it and sell it on that rip us off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

ICE HOUSE wrote: »

The fish doesn't swim to the shop, there are plenty of people to be paid on its journey to your plate!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

stovelid wrote: »
    It's one of things that's really piscene me off about this plaice.

Listen to this man. He doesn't make fish puns just for the halibut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Foreigners are to blame for everything :mad:

The Spanish get the blame over this one

Stealing our fish and our wimmins

Listen to this man. He doesn't make fish puns just for the halibut.

sure it's all a cod anyways :D

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Foreigners are to blame for everything :mad:

The Spanish get the blame over this one

don't be so crabby! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Quotas they are not allowed over fish so the demand for fish is always high.

Cod is rapidly becoming an endangered specie. if it is not already. I never thought I would see that day.

• Coz we've fished it all away and there isn't that much left and what's left is becoming rare and expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Its not really that expensive tbh.

IMO one of the nicest pieces of fish you can get is Smoked Coley, you can pick up a huge piece of this (enough for 2 adults) for a couple of Euro in most places.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The fish caught in your bay goes to Spain and then flown here for your consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

:rolleyes:

A few witty characters with their "hilarious" puns
    Typical of this plaice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Ironically because we eat so little of it, wastage is a huge factor.

Also, unless a fishmonger goes to the auction himself and buys boxes of fish, the bulk of our fish is landed in Killybegs and sold to export to say, Scotland and is reimported through London and Dublin for re-distribution here.

Add in humongous factory ships from Russia and Japan and not a single 'Irish' fish is landed anywhere in Ireland for that particular fishing trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

It is probably because they are so rare, breaded fish seems to be only a delicacy on these islands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

smash wrote: »
    Because of the dumb commercial fishing laws we have here regarding quotas and waste.

Exactly as smash says above. We have ridiculous quotas where after catching perfectly good fish, and after they are already dead, if below a cerain size, it has to be thrown back into the sea DEAD!:eek::confused::mad:

It's ****ing European bureaucracy.

The Norwegians have a quota set on a certain quantity, so instaed of throwing perfectly good fish back into the sea dead, they just sail on home and sell it.

****ing revolutionary idea I know.:rolleyes::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

To be honest if you were to catch the fish yourself it would be a lot dearer...

fish is good food , the fish I purchase is good value.....

but thats me.....

you only need a small amount for a meal, 6 to 8 oz

and there is usually little or no waste if filleted ....

usually have fish two to three times a week....

normally Cod or Plaice....or a Thick Fish Chowder with mix fish pieces:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

44leto wrote: »
    Quotas they are not allowed over fish so the demand for fish is always high.

Cod is rapidly becoming an endangered specie. if it is not already. I never thought I would see that day.
    If cod is becoming endangered, then the quota isn't working and need to be revised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Alot of great fish rarely ends up on restaraunt menus.

Ling tastes like Cod and Haddock

Flounder and Dab taste like Plaice (all flat fish). Flounder is far superior in my opinion.

Gurnard is firm like Monkfish and can be used similarly

Next time you are in a fish market/shop, maybe enquire about these species as they may be cheaper than your cod/haddock.

Mackeral is extremely tasty and swarming our waters in summer. Any fool with a pound shop fishing rod could catch a few off the shore.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

It's just Ireland doing what it does best. Selling assets for a quick buck rather than reaping the rewards in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Go to Asian supermarkets. I think they buy straight off the boat and the prices are amazing.

A while ago I went to my local butcher/fishmonger and was charged €18 for 2 salmon darnes and 500g of pork mince. Going to the Asian supermarket i got 4 mackeral, 4 squid, a bundle of razor clams (which I've never seen in any fishmongers), and 6 prawns for about 7 quid.

Seafood in this country should be dirt cheap, and plentiful but for some reason people don't seem to want to eat anything but overpriced cod and salmon, and maybe an odd bit of trout. Ask them if they eat pollock or gurnard and they'll probably look at you like you've two heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Park Royal wrote: »
    To be honest if you were to catch the fish yourself it would be a lot dearer...

fish is good food , the fish I purchase is good value.....

but thats me.....

you only need a small amount for a meal, 6 to 8 oz

and there is usually little or no waste if filleted ....

usually have fish two to three times a week....

normally Cod or Plaice....or a Thick Fish Chowder with mix fish pieces:

Not really i go out Fishing from Mullaghmore once or twice during the summer it cost 25 and that is all your rods and bait and 2.5-3 hours out at sea.
    Last time i caught
    2 cod
    8 Cuckoo wrasse
    14 Mackerel
    Not bad for 25 euro and i sold one of the cod for 20 so it only cost me a fiver:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

livinsane wrote: »
    Mackeral is extremely tasty and swarming our waters in summer. Any fool with a pound shop fishing rod could catch a few off the shore.

I believe you're allowed 8 Mackerel and they have been scarce for a couple of years already with small shoals and non predictable paths.

If cod is becoming endangered, then the quota isn't working and need to be revised.

They are always revising them and never in the upwards direction. Tuna are also starting to show signs of been in trouble.

I heard a while ago that the Norwegians are experimenting with Cod farming in their Fjords. Seemingly farming Cod is not as straight forward as farming Salmon. But Ireland should get in on that act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

gbee wrote: »
    I believe you're allowed 8 Mackerel and they have been scarce for a couple of years already with small shoals and non predictable paths.
    Your having at laugh anytime time your out at sea all you have to do is cast your rod out 9 times out of ten there will be a mackerel at the end of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Fish isn't too expensive. you should be able to pick 1 up in coppers for about 3 fiddy

• Advertisement

Your having at laugh anytime time your out at sea all you have to do is cast your rod out 9 times out of ten there will be a mackerel at the end of it.

Yeah I have the same experience in Mullaghmore Sligo, I actually get bored catching them and usually put up the rod and sit back and enjoy the view.

Over there our real goal is to catch Mountbatten's boot.

Advertisement