Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me an album/Name an album.

• 03-05-2010 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

Ok from talking to Jeff Lebowski, we're going to try this for a while, instead of starting a new thread asking for some new music, this one is to be used.

THIS IS NOT A LIST ALBUMS POINTLESSLY THREAD. THIS IS NOT A LIST ALBUMS POINTLESSLY THREAD.

This will hopefully encompass people looking for:

I like 'band x' recommend something similar.

Recommend me an album with no filler.

Name an album with no filler/Name an album that grew on you.

Basically all that really happens is people list there favourite albums, we're hoping this will put all queries in one thread and generate more discussion and less of band lists.

Feed back appreciated but do it by pm, thanks.

Good anyone advise me on any bands today who play indie music like these bands, i think the saying for it is Jangle indie(probably wrong on that).

The Smiths
    R.E.M(there 80's stuff)
    Go -Betweens
    The Sundays
    House of Love
    teenage fanclub

any bands today you could suggest that plays this type of indie rock

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Good anyone advise me on any bands today who play indie music like these bands, i think the saying for it is Jangle indie(probably wrong on that).

The Smiths
    R.E.M(there 80's stuff)
    Go -Betweens
    The Sundays
    House of Love
    teenage fanclub

any bands today you could suggest that plays this type of indie rock
    Lemonheads would be right up your street. You tube Its a shame about Ray. They also did a great version of Please Mrs Robinson. Also The National are well worth checking out. Draw on both the Smiths and REM but a terrific band in their own right.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It may be just me in my impatient old age, but I struggle to remember the last album I could listed to from beginning to end without feeling the urge to press 'skip' on at least one or two songs.

Back in about 95-96 I remember listening to whole albums like The Holy Bible, The Bends and Different Class over and over and looking forward to each song but apart from maybe Mezzanine and Bring It On I don't think I've had that feeling about an album since.

Is it just my (or our collective) attention span or are there really no albums out there which don't have a few tracks of filler?

• The Strokes: Is this it.

Perfect.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

It may be just me in my impatient old age, but I struggle to remember the last album I could listed to from beginning to end without feeling the urge to press 'skip' on at least one or two songs.

Back in about 95-96 I remember listening to whole albums like The Holy Bible, The Bends and Different Class over and over and looking forward to each song but apart from maybe Mezzanine and Bring It On I don't think I've had that feeling about an album since.

Is it just my (or our collective) attention span or are there really no albums out there which don't have a few tracks of filler?

it's a little of both

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Contemporary or old?

BLK JKS After Robots
    Rokia Traore Tchamantche
    The Very Best Warm Heart of Africa
    Buika Nina de Fuego

I can't find any filler on the above - maybe that's just my personal taste, mind :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Just from this year:

The National - High Violet
    Joanna Newsom - Have One on Me
    Beach House - Teen Dream

Other honourable mentions from recent years: Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes, Bon Iver - For Emma Forever Ago, Grizzly Bear - Yellow House, Arcade Fire - Funeral, Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake Its Morning, The National - Boxer/Alligator, Deerhunter - Microcastles, TV On The Radio - Dear Science...

There's been quite a few, just off the top of my head.

Papa Smut wrote: »
    The Strokes: Is this it.

Perfect.

It's been a few years since I listened to it but it's true that I don't remember furiously zapping through to Last Nite and Hard To Explain.
    It's almost 10 years old though :eek:
    old hippy wrote: »
    Contemporary or old?

BLK JKS After Robots
    Rokia Traore Tchamantche
    The Very Best Warm Heart of Africa
    Buika Nina de Fuego

I can't find any filler on the above - maybe that's just my personal taste, mind :)

I have never heard of any of them... until now. Listening to Rokia Traoré now; it seems very familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Some albums I think are that good are Kid A by Radiohead, The Soft Bulletin and Clouds Taste Metallic by The Flaming Lips, Holiday by The Magnetic Fields, Come To Daddy by Aphex Twin... Just off the top of my head!

I hate it when you listen to an album with one or two great tracks, which is let down by a lot of mediocrity.

Just from this year:

Beach House - Teen Dream

Other honourable mentions from recent years: Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes, Bon Iver - For Emma Forever Ago, Grizzly Bear - Yellow House, Arcade Fire - Funeral, Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake Its Morning, The National - Boxer/Alligator, Deerhunter - Microcastles, TV On The Radio - Dear Science...

You've definitely got a higher threshold for averageness than I :D

There are a few tracks on Funeral which are... junk, basically, made to look worse by the excellent songs aroung them.

Fleet Foxes album all seems to run together, but I've only listened to it twice.

I've been listening to Boxer a lot of late and initially I thought it was a solid album with no stand-out tracks and no duffers (it was probably this album that prompted the question in my mind actually) but now a few tracks have really grown on me, to the expense of others. Obviously not the band's fault in this case!

I think I missed the window on High Violet streaming for free, but will keep an ear out for it. I've not listened to any of the others, but will give them a shot.

Just from this year:

Beach House - Teen Dream

Horses for courses... there's a lot I skip on most of these.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Horses for courses... there's a lot I skip on most of these.
    I didn't think Different Class was exceptional to be fair. I think Revolver as an album would be as close to the complete album that you will get.

I didn't think Different Class was exceptional to be fair. I think Revolver as an album would be as close to the complete album that you will get.

Well that's certainly going back a bit!

The Stone Roses (21 years old, yikes!) qualifies by dint of Elizabeth My Dear being too short to bother reaching for the 'Next' button :D

I'd be more interested to know if younger listeners these days still have (new release) albums that they love from tip to toe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

You've definitely got a higher threshold for averageness than I :D

There are a few tracks on Funeral which are... junk, basically, made to look worse by the excellent songs aroung them.

Fleet Foxes album all seems to run together, but I've only listened to it twice.

I've been listening to Boxer a lot of late and initially I thought it was a solid album with no stand-out tracks and no duffers (it was probably this album that prompted the question in my mind actually) but now a few tracks have really grown on me, to the expense of others. Obviously not the band's fault in this case!

I think I missed the window on High Violet streaming for free, but will keep an ear out for it. I've not listened to any of the others, but will give them a shot.

Please, please name me one track on Funeral that constitutes 'junk'. I've listened to that record thousands of times and there ain't a weak moment on it.

Maybe you just don't have enough patience to let the less immediate tunes reveal themselves?

Couldn't argue that.

If you're going sixties:

Abbey Road (even OG is great in context, thanks GH).

Pet Sounds

Seventies:

PF - Animals
    Wire - Pink Flag/Chairs Missing

Eighties

Roky Erickson - TEO
    REM - Murmur

There's tons really, but those sprint to mind

Please, please name me one track on Funeral that constitutes 'junk'. I've listened to that record thousands of times and there ain't a weak moment on it.

Maybe you just don't have enough patience to let the less immediate tunes reveal themselves?

The shouty bits on 'Laika' are pure pish, since you asked my opinion. But I don't expect you to respect it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Lads - less of the bickering please.

• It may have been played to death, but 'Nevermind' has nary a weak moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Dante

Muse - Origin of Symmetry
    Arctic Monkeys - What Ever People Say I am, That's What I'm Not
    Trivium - Ascendancy

The only 3 albums off the top of my head that I could listen to start to finish....I'm sure many will disagree.

It may have been played to death, but 'Nevermind' has nary a weak moment.

Even 19 years on it's a pleasure to listen to all the way through.

But would someone who picked it up for the first time in 2010 think the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Laika was the first Arcade Fire song I ever heard, and I bought Funeral purely off the back of it. It's still one of my favourites.

Bloc Party's Silent Alarm is a humdinger right through, and I definitely agree with High Violet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Lemonheads would be right up your street. You tube Its a shame about Ray. They also did a great version of Please Mrs Robinson. Also The National are well worth checking out. Draw on both the Smiths and REM but a terrific band in their own right.

The National are nothing like the Smiths! More Joy Division, at times, than anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

monkey9 wrote: »
    The National are nothing like the Smiths! More Joy Division, at times, than anything!

Besides the deep singing voice there's not really much there that puts them in league with Joy Division.

Also spiritoftheseventies said they draw on The Smiths, no that they were like them.

Being influenced by a group and sounding like them are too very different things.

For instance, Alex Chilton influenced REM but I'd never mistake an REM track for a Big Star track.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Muse - Origin of Symmetry
    Arctic Monkeys - What Ever People Say I am, That's What I'm Not
    Trivium - Ascendancy

The only 3 albums off the top of my head that I could listen to start to finish....I'm sure many will disagree.
    Tough one. I think I'd have to say 'The Best of the Beatles. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭gav240

Papa Smut wrote: »
    The Strokes: Is this it.

Perfect.

hit the nail on the head. has to be in my top 5

also Stereophonics word gets around.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭martingore

violator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

yep got there records Come on feel the Lemonheads is great too:)
    Its a Shame about ray is one of my favourite records ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

martingore wrote: »
    violator

Do you mean the Depeche Mode album?

Oasis definitely maybe
    Stone Roses stone roses
    The smiths Queen is dead
    Arctic Monkets WPSIATWIN

• Advertisement