Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does the church believe in/promote/accept Evolution??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

deman wrote: »
    Where did you come up with this tripe??

Haven't you ever heard of the Orthodox Church? Then there's the restorationist denominations such as Jehovah Witnesses and Mormons.

:mad:

all of which are currently protest-ing against infallible doctrines of the Catholic Church, which is why all are protestant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

all of which are currently protest-ing against infallible doctrines of the Catholic Church, which is why all are protestant.

The Orthodox Church are Protestants now? Good grief!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

If this is what you really believe then how can anyone else believe in anything else that you are saying? Ridiculous comment. You are totally misinformed and misinforming others with your crazy beliefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Below is a conversation between somone and John Salza concerning humani Generis.

Explain to me again why I'm supposed to take John Salza's interpretation as the official position of the Roman Catholic Church?

PDN wrote: »
    The Orthodox Church are Protestants now? Good grief!

I am quite soft with my Orthodox brothers and have many friends who are Orthodox, but they know that when it comes to defending my faith I cut no corners and tell it like it is.

• Advertisement

Wicknight wrote: »
    Explain to me again why I'm supposed to take John Salza's interpretation as the official position of the Roman Catholic Church?

He has been taken on by the Church as an apologist, to correct people in the faith, it is not his interpretation it is the churches stance on it at the moment, but not everyone sees it that way, they'd rather listen to the voices of the PAS-pontifical academy of Science ( which is primarily made up of atheists and agnostics ) and have no infallible teaching authority on the matter.

Pope Benedict: "But it is also true that evolution is not a complete, scientifically proven theory."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭ItisintheSTARS

wow, the first and second source comes from the secular world and are not infallible statements from the Catholic church, the third comes from EWTN a channel that John Salza ( www.scripturecatholic.com) was interviewed on with regards to the subject, people love to read enyclicals and papal documents and impose their own view upon what is said, so your link does not refute in the slightest.

monosharp your imposing your own view upon what the Holy Father is saying in his encyclical no where in monosharps post did the Holy Father say that the theory of evolution was accepted by the church. your reply is elementary and we get it all the time.

in fact the Holy fathers enycyclical states quite the opposite:

1950 – On August 12, Pope Pius XII issues the encyclical Humani Generis which addressed false opinions that were threatening to undermine Catholic doctrine. The pope, in echoing St. Augustine and Providentissimus Deus, declared that the modern exegete’s desire to depart from a literal interpretation of Scripture in favor of a non-literal interpretation was foreign to Catholic teaching: “Further, according to their fictitious opinions, the literal sense of Holy Scripture and its explanation, carefully worked out under the Church's vigilance by so many great exegetes, should yield now to a new exegesis, which they are pleased to call symbolic or spiritual” (no. 23). “Everyone sees how foreign all this is to the principles and norms of interpretation rightly fixed by our predecessors of happy memory, Leo XIII in his Encyclical Providentissimus Deus, and Benedict XV in the Encyclical Spiritus Paraclitus, as also by Ourselves in the Encyclical Divino Afflante Spiritu” (no. 24). The pope also broached the theory of evolution with caution by stating that the Church “does not forbid research and discussions...with regard to evolution,” but warns that “divine revelation demands the greatest moderation and caution” when so discussing, and says we must ultimately “submit to the judgment of the Church” (no. 36). The pope further condemned “polygenism,” the heretical belief that the human race is not the product of a single set of parents (Adam and Eve), but multiple parents, as evolutionary theory maintains.

Below is a conversation between somone and John Salza concerning humani Generis.

18. Authority and the six-day creation account
    Aaron: I have some concerns? regarding the material on 'Evolution' on your website.

You claim that all the Fathers interpreted Genesis in terms of a six-day literal Creation, ruling out evolution entirely.? In view of the Decree of the Council of Trent (which you point out) that Catholics are not permitted to hold an interpretation of the Scripture contrary to the Fathers of the Church, the implication you make quite clearly,?even if it is not explicitly stated, is essentially that a so-called Young Earth Creationist interpretation of Genesis a Dogma of the Catholic Faith.

Yet you also quote from the Encyclical 'Humani Generis' of Ven. Pope Pius XII who permitted 'research and discussion' regarding evolution, provided it was done with 'the greatest moderation and caution'.? the full passage, which you quote rather selectively from, runs as follows:

"For these reasons the Teaching Authority of the Church does not forbid that, in conformity with the present state of human sciences and sacred theology, research and discussions, on the part of men experienced in both fields, take place with regard to the doctrine of evolution, in as far as it inquires into the origin of the human body as coming from pre-existent and living matter - for the Catholic faith obliges us to hold that souls are immediately created by God. However, this must be done in such a way that the reasons for both opinions, that is, those favorable and those unfavorable to evolution, be weighed and judged with the necessary seriousness, moderation and measure, and provided that all are prepared to submit to the judgment of the Church, to whom Christ has given the mission of interpreting authentically the Sacred Scriptures and of defending the dogmas of faith.[11] Some however, rashly transgress this liberty of discussion, when they act as if the origin of the human body from pre-existing and living matter were already completely certain and proved by the facts which have been discovered up to now and by reasoning on those facts, and as if there were nothing in the sources of divine revelation which demands the greatest moderation and caution in this question." (Humani Generis #36)

This passage would seem to make it clear that a particular interpretation of Genesis? is NOT binding on the faithful because if it were, the Pope would not have granted 'liberty of discussion' concerning it. The Church does not give 'liberty of discussion' about whether or not women can be Priests for example, or indeed about the truth of any of its Dogmas, even if such discussion is done with 'moderation and caution'.? IF it were a Dogma of the Faith that God created the world in six days, then the Pope would have not have said that 'the sources of divine revelation [demand] the greatest moderation and caution in this question', rather he would have asserted that the sources of divine revelation exclude such opinions entirely, and warned Catholics who hold such that they would no longer be in communion with the Holy See.? To imply that the Pope would grant a liberty of discussion concerning a Dogma of the Faith binding on all Catholics is to imply that the Pope was a material heretic who failed miserably in his duty of confirming the brethren- an implication which is offensive to pious ears.

At this point it might be fitting to point out that I would concur with your interpretation of Genesis.? A so-called 'Young Earth Creationist' perspective would seem to me to be the most reasonable explanation of both the Scriptural and scientific evidence.? However, to claim that this is a Dogma of the Faith, as your exposition of the matter implies, is clearly an insult to the august memory Pius XII who permitted 'liberty of discussion' concerning the matter.?
    Many Thanks.

Aaron Taylor
    J.Salza: Aaron, there is a difference between infallible definitions of faith and non-infallible teachings. I never said that a six-day creation was dogmatically defined by the Church. If it were, then Pope Pius XII would not have allowed discussions on the topic. However, the implication, based on Trent and Vatican I's directive about the consensus of the Fathers, is that a six-day creation interpretation is the official teaching of the Church. Just because Pope Pius XII invited discussion on the subject does not mean that a six-day interprettion is incorrect. The fact is, Pius XII called the evolutionists' bluff since they couldn't marshal any scientific evidence to rebut the six-day interpretation. That is how clever Pius XII was. Remember, he also invited exegetes to use historical criticism, but also said that he couldn't undermine the literal interpretation of Scripture as understood in light of Tradition. Remember also that the popes invited much discussion about the dogma of the Immaculate Conception, even though Tradition always held Mary as without sin and the doctrine was not really in dispute. That is because the Church was seeking more information from theologians in formulating her dogma. As applied here, the weight of the evidence supports a six-day interpretation as the correct and official position of the Church, even though the Church has not elevated it to a level of dogma. The burden is on our interlocutors to prove otherwise, which they cannot.
    Well I am no expert on Darwinism/Dawkins ,knowing a little bit ,but is there not a problem for them with Age of the earth ,and the appearance of us on the Stage?
    I do not like to make ,take things as facts immediately without further consideration,but am giving it to you lot ,who sound O.K., as it occurs to me on the age of the Earth as in the Creationist belief system and here it is .
    We are not talking about 6000/7000 yrs of earth time but of Space time
    as in the astronomical Great Year,so that would be approx.
    6,000 x25,000 = ?

Before I finish on that I wish to say that the astrological [true astronomical time ]picture has changed dramatically since just befor Xmas.
    It is getting better ,and it will do so as the year goes on.
    The last year was terrible till then and before that for 18 years
    Neptune[pisces ruled ]was in it's fallen sign and therefore unable to give it's loving ,light bearing qualities.
    The main thing that happens under this sign when it's not functioning like DECEIT FALSE REASONING,SELF DELUSION.
    If it was MARS mal functioning for example it would create wars.Under Neptune it creates LIES.
    As we know a bacteria might kill more and destroy more than wars ,and do it by stealth.
    The idea that the devil work by bombs,guns etc .is not true , he does so by turning the minds of people to be sheep like,and turning truth on it's head.
    The Astronomical /Astrological configuration for this year is excellent for
    boosting the the good energies,turning minds to higher truths,and giving courage,and love.
    God works always through His creation HIs garden,and we are free to choose to take this choice or that ,but we always get another chance,until the last cycle comes ,and then perhaps no more chances.
    In this garden we are the 'fruits' which are most like HIM,and so we must take care of the garden for Him, while He takes care of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

He has been taken on by the Church as an apologist, to correct people in the faith, it is not his interpretation it is the churches stance on it at the moment, but not everyone sees it that way, they'd rather listen to the voices of the PAS-pontifical academy of Science ( which is primarily made up of atheists and agnostics ) and have no infallible teaching authority on the matter.

Pope Benedict: "But it is also true that evolution is not a complete, scientifically proven theory."

It is the nature of science that virtually nothing is proven, experimental or physical evidence is published. Unfortunately, this means that despite a huge bank of evidence in favour of evolution creationist and their ilc can carry one dismissing it.
    As for the Pope's comment - it still amounts to an opinion of a man based on belief. All the various organisations within the RCC handing down dictats, they are men with opinions. God gave us brains to use if he did not expect us to use them he would not have given us such unique an impressive organs.
    Stephenlig - so that you can dismis this post out of hand. I was brought up Anglican, but am at best agnostic now. I am also a scientist.

He has been taken on by the Church as an apologist

Define "taken on by the Church"? The Pope has hired him?
    it is not his interpretation it is the churches stance on it at the moment, but not everyone sees it that way, they'd rather listen to the voices of the PAS-pontifical academy of Science ( which is primarily made up of atheists and agnostics ) and have no infallible teaching authority on the matter.

So we are not supposed to listen to the Vatican's academy of science in matters of science? But we are supposed to listen to John Salza?

The only place I can find that quote is someone claiming the Pope said it on a Catholic discussion forum.

Again turning to these obviously secular protestant atheists unreliable news interviews with actual Vatican members including the Pope, the Pope seems happy to "believe in evolution"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-447930/Pope-Benedict-believes-evolution.html
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19956961/

Notice that the Pope calls Creationism an absurdity. Isn't John Salza a young Earth creationist?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Neptune[pisces ruled ]was in it's fallen sign and therefore unable to give it's loving ,light bearing qualities.
    The main thing that happens under this sign when it's not functioning like DECEIT FALSE REASONING,SELF DELUSION.
    If it was MARS mal functioning for example it would create wars.Under Neptune it creates LIES.
    As we know a bacteria might kill more and destroy more than wars ,and do it by stealth.
    The idea that the devil work by bombs,guns etc .is not true , he does so by turning the minds of people to be sheep like,and turning truth on it's head.
    The Astronomical /Astrological configuration for this year is excellent for
    boosting the the good energies,turning minds to higher truths,and giving courage,and love.
    God works always through His creation HIs garden,and we are free to choose to take this choice or that ,but we always get another chance,until the last cycle comes ,and then perhaps no more chances.
    In this garden we are the 'fruits' which are most like HIM,and so we must take care of the garden for Him, while He takes care of us.

Last warning. Take it to the spirituality forum, please.

• Advertisement

Define "taken on by the Church"? The Pope has hired him?

So we are not supposed to listen to the Vatican's academy of science in matters of science? But we are supposed to listen to John Salza?

The only place I can find that quote is someone claiming the Pope said it on a Catholic discussion forum.

Again turning to these obviously secular protestant atheists unreliable news interviews with actual Vatican members including the Pope, the Pope seems happy to "believe in evolution"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-447930/Pope-Benedict-believes-evolution.html
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19956961/

Notice that the Pope calls Creationism an absurdity. Isn't John Salza a young Earth creationist?

I don't beleive secular sources, but if the pope said that then it can only be dismissed as his private opinion for if it is neither taught in Sacred Scripture nor Tradition it cannot be accepted by the Church.

I dont listen to the PAS if what they say was not taught in the Tradition and Sacred scripture of the church I listen to the perfect exegisis of infallbile dogma such as Sacred Scripture and tradition by apologists such as John Salza whom yes is an official apologist for the faith.

The PAS have no infallible teaching authority when it comes to matters such as evolution, the popes opinions are not infallible, they are his own private ones, and we must obey God before we obey man, just as peter ( the first pope ) requested we do in ( Acts:5:29 ).

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=pontifical+academy+of+science+run+by+atheists&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&cts=1266670495078&aq=f&oq=

the above is a pdf thats proof the academy is run by atheists.

Fluffybums wrote: »
    It is the nature of science that virtually nothing is proven, experimental or physical evidence is published. Unfortunately, this means that despite a huge bank of evidence in favour of evolution creationist and their ilc can carry one dismissing it.
    As for the Pope's comment - it still amounts to an opinion of a man based on belief. All the various organisations within the RCC handing down dictats, they are men with opinions. God gave us brains to use if he did not expect us to use them he would not have given us such unique an impressive organs.
    Stephenlig - so that you can dismis this post out of hand. I was brought up Anglican, but am at best agnostic now. I am also a scientist.

Hi, what evidence? there is no evidence for it...

in my letter of last year to John Salza, he consulted his collegue Dr.Robert sungenis P.h.d on the matter and this is what was said.
    No, it is not true. I have copied my colleauge Robert Sungenis on this to
    see if he has more information for you.

John Salza

stephen mcelligott writes:

>
    > Dear John, I have recently been in a debate and some guy gave me a website leading to transitional fossils and claims it proof for evolution.
    >
    > yet I know that on your site you say that there is no transitional fossils. is it true now that they have found some?
    >
    >
    >
    > God bless
    >
    > Stephen
    Stephen,

Yes, transitional fossils are proof for evolution, but that sad fact for evolutionist is that they haven't been able to find any indisputable transitional fossils. The two leading evolutionists, Stephen Gould and Niles Eldredge, admitted it in a 1971 speech in Chicago to all the world's evolutionists. Subsequently, they invented the theory of Punctuated Equilibrium to replace the absence of transitional fossils. PE is a theory that various species punctuated the landscape instantaneously, without gradual development. Prior to this, Niles Eldredge writes in his books that he used to go out on fossil excavations on a routine basis, but was always frustrated by the fact that he never found any. Many more scientists have admitted that there are no transitional fossils. Some have claimed to have found some, but these are always dubious. You can depend upon the fact that if some scientist found a bona fide transitional fossil, it would make world headlines and be the most stupendous find since the dawn of mankind. But obviously, that has not happened. Everytime the evolutionists have put forward a specimen that they hoped would be a transitional fossil or missing link, it has been discovered that it either belonged to an already known species, or that the specimen was faked, as is the case with Piltdown Man and many others.

There is much more evidence against so-called transitional fossils than what I am giving you here. If you need any more, please let me know.

Robert Sungenis, Ph.D.

There is whole thread just over there that goes into Creationist lies such as the claim that there are no transitional fossils, so I won't waste time debating that sort of nonsense here (though I always fine it funny when Creationists/Geocentrists put their utterly unrelated qualifications after their names as if that lends them weight in the area they are discussing, Robert Sungenis has a Phd in religious studies, which obviously makes him an expert in evolutionary biology :rolleyes:)

I'm pretty close though to dismissing John Salva as just another Creationist nut case. How has he "officially" working for the Catholic Church, and why should we listen to him over the Pope?

Wicknight, M.Sc.

There is whole thread just over there that goes into Creationist lies such as the claim that there are no transitional fossils, so I won't waste time debating that sort of nonsense here (though I always fine it funny when Creationists/Geocentrists put their utterly unrelated qualifications after their names as if that lends them weight in the area they are discussing, Robert Sungenis has a Phd in religious studies, which obviously makes him an expert in evolutionary biology :rolleyes:)

I'm pretty close though to dismissing John Salva as just another Creationist nut case. How has he "officially" working for the Catholic Church, and why should we listen to him over the Pope?

Wicknight, M.Sc.

Let's not turn this into a Creationist thread. One of them is enough.

PDN, MTh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

so I won't waste time debating that sort of nonsense here

Appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭mindundalk

Evolution is a theory and although the church may respect the views of science it does not necessarily support this.

Wicknight, M.Sc.

and I'm sick of people who put ''I am a scientist'' after theirs and request that we put our faith into their theories and explanations.

nobody is asking anyone to listen to him over the Pope, but asking them to stick to the infallible dogma of the church, the Popes opinions must be respected, but they can be challenged respectfully by apologists and theologians for his private opinions are not infallible, if the Pope asked me to worship a can of coca cola, I wouldnt, for his request contradicts the Church on faith ( doctrine) and morals ( discipline ) Sacred scripture and Tradition does not allow us to interpret scriptures any other way, the council of trent and and council of Vatican I make it clear that we must not leave the unanimous intepretation of the fathers, evolution is not taught in Sacred Scripture or tradition, and Catholics are only permitted to believe in the possibility of the theistic theory, put still to remember that its only a theory.

This thread is not on debate of creationism, I am not a creationist though I am a Catholic, unless its contained in Sacred Scripture and Tradition, it is nothing but a fairy tale, I put my faith into my One Holy Catholic Churches doctrine, not the doctrines of the world, who make ridiculous claims that evolution is true.

to end it, I love our Holy Father Pope Benedict XVI and his efforts to tackle every left wing theologian in the church so far has been great, he was doing this even prior to his Papal office when he was Cardinal Jospeh ratzinger and head of the CDF.

I'm ending the discussion now, and I will let people look into it more and decide for themselves.

God bless and take care
    Stephen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

and I'm sick of people who put ''I am a scientist'' after theirs and request that we put our faith into their theories and explanations.

Not a fan of facts then ?
    This thread is not on debate of creationism, I am not a creationist though I am a Catholic, unless its contained in Sacred Scripture and Tradition, it is nothing but a fairy tale, I put my faith into my One Holy Catholic Churches doctrine, not the doctrines of the world, who make ridiculous claims that evolution is true.

We cannot say: creation or evolution, inasmuch as these two things respond to two different realities. The story of the dust of the earth and the breath of God, which we just heard, does not in fact explain how human persons come to be but rather what they are. It explains their inmost origin and casts light on the project that they are. And, vice versa, the theory of evolution seeks to understand and describe biological developments. But in so doing it cannot explain where the 'project' of human persons comes from, nor their inner origin, nor their particular nature. To that extent we are faced here with two complementary -- rather than mutually exclusive -- realities.
    Cardinal Ratzinger, In the Beginning: A Catholic Understanding of the Story of Creation and the Fall [Eerdmans, 1986, 1995], see especially pages 41-58)

Cardinal Paul Poupard added that "the faithful have the obligation to listen to that which secular modern science has to offer, just as we ask that knowledge of the faith be taken in consideration as an expert voice in humanity." He also warned of the permanent lesson we have learned from the Galileo affair, and that "we also know the dangers of a religion that severs its links with reason and becomes prey to fundamentalism."

Stephen, are you officially the first fundamentalist Catholic that I have ever met ? Because the kind of tripe and nonsense your repeating here regarding Evolution is in the realm of American red necks who can barely read the bible, never mind understand it.

I'd seriously suggest you take a step back here and listen to what the actual Vatican says on this issue, on things like the age of the earth etc.

monosharp wrote: »
    Not a fan of facts then ?

We cannot say: creation or evolution, inasmuch as these two things respond to two different realities. The story of the dust of the earth and the breath of God, which we just heard, does not in fact explain how human persons come to be but rather what they are. It explains their inmost origin and casts light on the project that they are. And, vice versa, the theory of evolution seeks to understand and describe biological developments. But in so doing it cannot explain where the 'project' of human persons comes from, nor their inner origin, nor their particular nature. To that extent we are faced here with two complementary -- rather than mutually exclusive -- realities.
    Cardinal Ratzinger, In the Beginning: A Catholic Understanding of the Story of Creation and the Fall [Eerdmans, 1986, 1995], see especially pages 41-58)

Cardinal Paul Poupard added that "the faithful have the obligation to listen to that which secular modern science has to offer, just as we ask that knowledge of the faith be taken in consideration as an expert voice in humanity." He also warned of the permanent lesson we have learned from the Galileo affair, and that "we also know the dangers of a religion that severs its links with reason and becomes prey to fundamentalism."

Stephen, are you officially the first fundamentalist Catholic that I have ever met ? Because the kind of tripe and nonsense your repeating here regarding Evolution is in the realm of American red necks who can barely read the bible, never mind understand it.

I'd seriously suggest you take a step back here and listen to what the actual Vatican says on this issue, on things like the age of the earth etc.

Your still imposing your own view on the text, and your reply is still evidence of how elementary you are in exegeting text its not an infallible statement and can only be dismissed as private opinion. I listen to modern science no problem, but when that science contradicts the infallibility of the Church such as the infallible Council of trents request that we do not depart from the unanimous interpretation of the fathers then I am not bound to believe in it.

especially if it contradicts the word of God. I am not fundamentalist, I'm Catholic ( haha think I'll put that on a t-shirt ) :pac:

The Lord told the mystics that evolution is wrong, maria valtorta in 1940's and Vassula Ryden from the 80's up.

but of course the church permits us to believe in the possibility of theistic evolution but thats it its just a theory ( my goodness how many times have I said that ). it does not permit us to believe in all the other theorys which completely are not compatible with Sacred Scripture and Tradition. also the above does not tell us what type of evolution Cardinal Raztinger is responding/ speaking of.

Your still imposing your own view on the text, and your reply is still evidence of how elementary you are in exegeting text its not an infallible statement and can only be dismissed as private opinion.

I do not care. That was not my point. I don't care what is 'infallible' according to the church or not. My point was about the churches position. The church has positions on more things then it has declared 'infallible'.
    I listen to modern science no problem, but when that science contradicts the infallibility of the Church such as the infallible Council of trents request that we do not depart from the unanimous interpretation of the fathers then I am not bound to believe in it.

And what exactly is being contradicted by evolution according to you ?
    especially if it contradicts the word of God. I am not fundamentalist, I'm Catholic ( haha think I'll put that on a t-shirt ) :pac:

What part of evolution contradicts the word of God ? Because the pope seems to think it doesn't contradict the word of God.
    The Lord told the mystics that evolution is wrong, maria valtorta in 1940's and Vassula Ryden from the 80's up.

What ?
    but of course the church permits us to believe in the possibility of theistic evolution but thats it its just a theory ( my goodness how many times have I said that ).

I don't know but it sounds just as ignorant the xth time as it did the first time.

Gravity is just a theory, the computer your using right now works because of theories. A theory in Science does not have the same meaning as the word theory in the English language.

A theory in science is an explanation (how) of some fact (what) that is so strongly supported by evidence that it is accepted as 'true'.

The theory of general relativity (a theory of gravitation) explains the fact of gravity.
    The theory of evolution explains the fact of evolution.
    it does not permit us to believe in all the other theorys which completely are not compatible with Sacred Scripture and Tradition. also the above does not tell us what type of evolution Cardinal Raztinger is responding/ speaking of.

What 'kinds' of evolution are there ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

Based on the information here, what I have seen and read elsewhere and linked to, I would say that the Church of Rome does accept evolution. The Anglican church also accepts evolution (a certain poster on this thread will dismiss this church because it is not the Church of Rome). I guess it would be more accurate to say that the theory of evolution does not contradict the teachings of the church.

As for some of the weirder, in my opinion, churches primarily based in the US....:eek:

Of course that is just my interpretation is the information presented here and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Fluffybums wrote: »
    Based on the information here, what I have seen and read elsewhere and linked to, I would say that the Church of Rome does accept evolution. The Anglican church also accepts evolution (a certain poster on this thread will dismiss this church because it is not the Church of Rome). I guess it would be more accurate to say that the theory of evolution does not contradict the teachings of the church.

As for some of the weirder, in my opinion, churches primarily based in the US....:eek:

Of course that is just my interpretation is the information presented here and elsewhere.
    Sorry I have not been able to follow the posts.

As far as I can gather, the RCC can accept evolution, but not the standard version. It still requires a sinless Adam and Eve as the original humans. Quite how they fit that with the scientific version, I don't know.

While many Christians today do accept evolution, the historic position of Christianity would not allow for it. That position is still held today by many churches and individual Christians. Christians of all types - theologians and scientists included - have publicly rejected evolution.

Here's a recent example I posted on the Creation thread:
    Should Christians Embrace Evolution?
    Biblical and scientific responses
    Norman C Nevin (Editor)
    http://www.ivpbooks.com/9781844744060

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

35% each!! It'll have to go to extra time!! butter my arse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Are you asking these questions and giving your responses out of the will to know the answer Grrrrrrrrrr or are you just trolling? A genuine question, because I honestly can't tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

Firstly, the Pope is meant to be infallible is he not?
    So his comments on the validity of Evolution has to be taken as truth.

Looking back though, Pope JPII did admit to the church being wrong about the Earth being the centre of the universe so maybe the current Pope isn't infallible...

smokingman wrote: »

No, you haven't understood the concept of papal infallibility (a concept by the way, that I profoundly disagree with). Papal infallibility asserts that the Pope is infallible when he solemnly declares or promulgates to the Church a dogmatic teaching on faith or morals as being contained in divine revelation.

However, in all other pronouncements (for example if he says that peanut butter is nicer than Marmite) the Pope's opinion is not considered by Catholics to be infallible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

smokingman wrote: »

Looking back though, Pope JPII did admit to the church being wrong about the Earth being the centre of the universe so maybe the current Pope isn't infallible...

you should look into the history. It is less than 150 years old. Since the solemn declaration of Papal Infallibility by Vatican I on July 18, 1870, this power has been used only once ex cathedra.

and on the Earth being the centre thing yu are also wrong. The position on galileo was changed for centuries but only formally accepted recently. Just like say Gorbachev visited the UK but was still at war with Berwick upon Tweed because a formal declaration of peace was not made since WWI.

Adn you are wrong about the centre thing too. the suspicion of heresy was that of the Earth moving and the Earth going round the Sun ratehr than Sun going round Earth. Even today under General Relativity we can claim anywhere is at the centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

monosharp wrote: »
    Congratulations on your award winning sentence.

This made me lol. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

Sorry i had a week ban. ok so ill take it the church does believe in evolution. thanks

• Advertisement

The two leading evolutionists, Stephen Gould and Niles Eldredge, admitted it in a 1971 speech in Chicago to all the world's evolutionists.

May I just point out how absolutely ironic it is that for creationists to get any kind of credit at all they need to misquote real scientists :pac:

Stephen J Gould was a great evolutionary biologist and absolutely accepted evolution as fact.

The quote your Mr Salza is referring to is this;
    "The extreme rarity of transitional forms in the fossil record persist as the trade secret of paleontology. The evolutionary trees that adorn our textbooks have data only at the tips and nodes of their branches; the rest is inference, however reasonable, not the evidence of fossils ….We fancy ourselves as the only true students of life's history, yet to preserve our favored account of evolution by natural selection we view our data as so bad that we never see the very process we profess to study."

Mr Gould is not saying there are no transitional fossils, he was saying that they are rare and if you actually read the paper this quote is taken from you would see that he believes this is exactly right because of the rarity of fossilisation.

Anyways this isn't the thread.
    Subsequently, they invented the theory of Punctuated Equilibrium to replace the absence of transitional fossils.
    wikipedia wrote:
    Punctuated equilibrium is a theory in evolutionary biology which proposes that most sexually reproducing species will experience little evolutionary change for most of their geological history (in an extended state called stasis). When evolution occurs, it is localized in rare, rapid events of branching speciation (called cladogenesis). Cladogenesis is simply the process by which species split into two distinct species, rather than one species gradually transforming into another. Thus, "punctuated equilibria is a model for discontinuous tempos of change (in) the process of speciation and the deployment of species in geological time."
    PE is a theory that various species punctuated the landscape instantaneously, without gradual development.

You know lying is a sin ? You should tell that to your Mr Salza.

Advertisement