Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do I need to lie to get rent allowance?? I hope not!!

• 29-07-2014 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all1 Hoping someone who currently gets rent allowance will be able to answer a few questions for me!!

Here is the situation, I was made redundant about 6 weeks ago, by partner (we've no kids) is a full time mature student so he is on a BTEA (on summer holidays at moment so getting job seekers but will go back on BTEA in Sept) I have borrowed the money for my rent this month from family but I don't wnt to be getting myself into debt with them and I could be waiting months for the redundancy cheque

I am very employable and I am sure I will get working fairly soon (1 or 2 more months max) The rent allowance cap for us is €400, but our rent is currently €600. The landlord is a family friend and a nice man and i dont want putting him in any dodgy situation but to my knowledge he is all above board in regard to tax and PRTB etc as he owns several local businesses. But he is nervous of the whole rent allowance thing as he has never done it before

So my question is this, will I be accepted for rent allowance for the €400 if I can make up the other €200 myself? or will I have to lie/ask landlord to lie and say rent is only €400 (or €440 as they make you pay €40 yourself anyway)

any help on this would be great!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

No, you can't lie and no you're not supposed to make up the balance.
    If the landlord wishes to remain above board then the rent most be the upper limit of the RA.

ModNote: Please don't come on her asking for advice on how to defraud the system.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement