Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Internet Explorer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

A very inportant part of Oracle SQL Developer Database Express Edition 10g doesn't work in any other browser I'd tried other than IE. IE9 isn't all that bad and as a previous poster pointer out the seperate threads per tab is a good feature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

what the fuq do you nerds do on-line that need all this security??? please tell me how firefox is better than IE for the vast 90% of people who use the internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

seanmc1980 wrote: »
    what the fuq do you nerds do on-line that need all this security??? please tell me how firefox is better than IE for the vast 90% of people who use the internet
    I don't really give a sh!t about the security. I do however give a sh!t about user experience and web design aesthetics. IE does not consider these.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

skinny90 wrote: »
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57424595-92/ie-continues-to-rebound-in-browser-market/?tag=txt;title

I just happend to be reading this aswell as going through the thread
    If the margin of error on those statistics is 3% like in opinion poles then the change is too small to be measured reliably

IE is way better than it used to be but I'm too scared by drive by downloads to use it on any untrusted (by me) site. And even then you have to worry about malicious stuff in things like google ads. If you are going to use IE make sure you have decent anti-malware and some form of web page checking running.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Irrelevant. If all products on offer are free, one should gravitate to the best on offer. Not the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

It's faster you dumb fcuk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm a web developer and tbh if the ad makes current IE users update then I'm a happy guy. It's not like it's going to make non-IE users download IE6 or somethin :pac:

IE9 is still slower than other browsers, so I wouldn't use it, but as long as it renders sites better than the legacy versions I don't care if people use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I'll take IE over Chrome any day. I wouldn't touch it with yours.

As an aside, does anyone know why the fuck AIB internet banking isn't working properly in FF all of a sudden. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Is IE officially still the most the used though or has it been surpassed? Every workplace I've ever gone into, IE is the default. I'd to practically lick the minge off my boss to get FF at work. On my own laptop, FF is a disaster for me, very memory heavy, slow as f***, and very crashy no matter how many reinstalls I do. Chrome is the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭ronjo

It is a bit of a nerdy thread for AH alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

token101 wrote: »
    Is IE officially still the most the used though or has it been surpassed? Every workplace I've ever gone into, IE is the default.

According to Wikimedia, IE is leader just barely, at 27%

according to w3schools, IE is in third place at 18.9%.

the results vary hugely depending on what site you look at. hard to tell. in fairness there'd have to be a lot of the older generation that would just use IE because it's what's on their computer when they get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

According to Wikimedia, IE is leader just barely, at 27%

according to w3schools, IE is in third place at 18.9%.

the results vary hugely depending on what site you look at. hard to tell. in fairness there'd have to be a lot of the older generation that would just use IE because it's what's on their computer when they get it.

I'd say Chrome maybe eating into that market, it being Google and all!

Well the initial surge seemed to be from IE, Firefox seems to be taking a hit lately though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

It's a bit like saying Eircom is the most popular ISP

Exactly. Tech savvy people do not like the idea, but it is true.
    Nulty wrote: »
    A very inportant part of Oracle SQL Developer Database Express Edition 10g doesn't work in any other browser I'd tried other than IE. IE9 isn't all that bad and as a previous poster pointer out the seperate threads per tab is a good feature

I had to use IE for this too, but it was the only time I ever had to use IE. (well besides testing a website in IE of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

You know.....I dont know a thing about browsers or anything so this thread got me thinking.

I was using IE9. I dont really know one thing from another where the differences between it, Firefox, Chrome or any other one for that matter.

Anyway, after reading all about the security thing.....I thought I would do a wee bit of work on this laptop.

I changed my service provider to sky there a week or two ago and I had been using AVG anti virus software that had expired about a month ago. Anyway, I let it be, without renewing it. So with the new sky subscription there was a year's free McAfee (bearing in mind I dont know anything about anti-virus software either).

So I did that tonight.

This thing has been having a lot of pop-ups coming at me and I just normally close them down. Anyway.....McAfee is 54% through the scan and has found 6 files infected by viruses. Which I had absolutely no idea about.

So I have to say to you lot......thanks for this thread. I have downloaded Google Chrome.......not for any special reason.......I havent even read all of the replies on here to be able to determine which one is the best. But I'll go with this for a day or two to see how it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Ubuntu, KDE, Chromium = Beautiful, Rapid, Secure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I've been using Seamonkey since the Firefox interface change (FF 4 I think?).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    I switched to Firefox years ago cause of Ad Block & Download Helper.
    Took a look at chrome once & as I couldn't find bookmarks inside 60 seconds I didn't like it.

If you were on chrome you can import your bookmarks from IE.

You click the wrench tool and click the following:

Settings>> Personal Stuff>> Browsing data>> Import bookmarks and settings>> From Internet Explorer OR Google Toolbar

Import the following (Optional)

- Browsing history
    - Favourites/Bookmarks
    - Saved Passwords
    - Search Engines

Hey Presto; Job Done! ;)

I used FF about three years ago in secondary school and I thought it was still s*ite. Weren't able to access Youtube or other videos or nothing.

Complete waste of my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

IE9's UI is virtually identical to Chrome. I have both open now and the only difference I see is the refresh button in IE is on the left of the address bar whereas chrome has it beside forward/back :eek: Oh and IE9 actually gives more vertical screen space to a page by having tabs on the same row as the address bar.

People tend to go on and on about security issues, speed issues and the UI. I don't know much about the security issues because I'm not a web developer, but I sure would like to know specifically what is unsecure about IE9, rather than vague threats about 'back door malicious code'. I notice a very slight speed increase in chrome on some sites (and I mean miliseconds). Another issue for people is no ad blocker right? Well IE9 has 'tracker protection' turned off by default. Turn it on and hey presto it blocks ads pretty flawlessly in my experience.

All in all to me these browsers are identical, the only thing I've noticed is that IE9 doesn't support webGL and oh look there's a plugin for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

i use ff even though its gone downhill a lot in recent years. is there another good browser besides the data mining wh0re that is chrome?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

IE9's UI is virtually identical to Chrome. I have both open now and the only difference I see is the refresh button in IE is on the left of the address bar whereas chrome has it beside forward/back :eek: Oh and IE9 actually gives more vertical screen space to a page by having tabs on the same row as the address bar.

People tend to go on and on about security issues, speed issues and the UI. I don't know much about the security issues because I'm not a web developer, but I sure would like to know specifically what is unsecure about IE9, rather than vague threats about 'back door malicious code'. I notice a very slight speed increase in chrome on some sites (and I mean miliseconds). Another issue for people is no ad blocker right? Well IE9 has 'tracker protection' turned off by default. Turn it on and hey presto it blocks ads pretty flawlessly in my experience.

All in all to me these browsers are identical, the only thing I've noticed is that IE9 doesn't support webGL and oh look there's a plugin for it.

The perceived security flaw with IE9 is because IE is very tightly coupled with the operating system so people think that poses a threat to your machine because if they hack through they can get to your OS...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I don't have milliseconds to waste, so I use Firefox.

Yakult wrote: »
    I don't have milliseconds to waste, so I use Firefox.

you mean you do? Because Firefox is pretty slow these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Wompa1 wrote: »
    The perceived security flaw with IE9 is because IE is very tightly coupled with the operating system so people think that poses a threat to your machine because if they hack through they can get to your OS...

Okay, makes sense. But thats still IF your machine is hacked, not 'it is easy to hack because it's IE', which is the vibe I think many hipsters and nerds try and give out who haven't a clue what they're talking about. Its also going to be targeted for obvious reasons (user type/volume) by hackers instead of Chrome/FF/Safari

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Dempsey wrote: »
    i use ff even though its gone downhill a lot in recent years. is there another good browser besides the data mining wh0re that is chrome?
    If you like Chrome but don't like selling your soul to Google try Iron. It's based on Chromium same as Chrome but has all the Google shit taken out.

Okay, makes sense. But thats still IF your machine is hacked, not 'it is easy to hack because it's IE', which is the vibe I think many hipsters and nerds try and give out who haven't a clue what they're talking about. Its also going to be targeted for obvious reasons (user type/volume) by hackers instead of Chrome/FF/Safari

Yeah...you are absolutely right. I could have elaborated with but it's a load of BS. Windows 7 is pretty locked down at the OS level and with IE there's been a lot of advancements with security settings like Protected Mode. There's other disabled features you could enable to make your computer even more secure if you were able or willing to do some configuration.

Also on point with the suggestion about market share dictating the attacks. Look at Macs getting targeted more now. When they were only used by Artsy types nobody cared enough to get their BS info..well actually some did because Macs have always been hacked into. But anyway now iPads, Macs and iPhones are getting into Enterprise and have a big overall market share so they will get their asses kicked for the next few years by hackers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Exactly. Tech savvy people do not like the idea, but it is true.
    You are confusing market share with popularity

IE is the most commonly used browse, but of people who have used more than one browser for enough time to get over the initial differences is it the most often chosen one.

remember everyone who uses a windows browser other than IE choose to do so while a huge chunk of IE uses didn't choose it

People tend to go on and on about security issues, speed issues and the UI.
    look at how often there is a patch that prevents an attacker taking complete control of you computer

my understanding is that IE is such an integral part of the OS that it's impossible to sandbox it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

look at how often there is a patch that prevents an attacker taking complete control of you computer

All you have to do is look at the random toolbars that can attach themselves to IE.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I have nothing to add to this discussion, but here's a picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    I've no problems with security - I'm behind a firewall and I don't visit dodgy sites (often). On the matter of security - people go on about how security is so important as if you're going to be hacked the minute you go on the net without security. If you are that worried about security install ubuntu.

I installed Internet Explorer via Wine on Ubuntu for testing purposes once.

I still feel dirty to this day...

Advertisement