Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Final Fantasy 7....by a non gamer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Yuffie is the best character.

Full damage from back row, good limits and best date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Don't forget the Morph ability of her Conformer!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Ah but she's a theiving, cocky fecker! Even down to the last few minutes she wanted the ALL THE MATERIA!

I can't wait to read this thread properly tonight, will be an interesting read!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

LadyE wrote: »
    Ah but she's a theiving, cocky fecker! Even down to the last few minutes she wanted the ALL THE MATERIA!

I can't wait to read this thread properly tonight, will be an interesting read!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you, the newest member of the JRPG fan club and my better half :D

RedXIV wrote: »
    Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you, the newest member of the JRPG fan club, my better half and even better gamer :D

FYP :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Once you get the knights of the round materia it's basically an 'I win' move and the last boss hasn't a hope :)

I liked Yuffie as well. Removing your materia for the subquest was a pain but as a character she injected a bit of fun into the game and I liked her subquest of taking on the pagoda, it had some boss fights that you actually had to think about to beat even if they were pretty much the leviathan and asura fights from FF4.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Once you get the knights of the round materia it's basically an 'I win' move and the last boss hasn't a hope :)

I liked Yuffie as well. Removing your materia for the subquest was a pain but as a character she injected a bit of fun into the game and I liked her subquest of taking on the pagoda, it had some boss fights that you actually had to think about to beat even if they were pretty much the leviathan and asura fights from FF4.

I actually held back on using KOTR, I knew from trying to beat the first time (I wasn't asked to split my party, I just played with the three I used all along: cloud, Cid and Barret) that you got a different last boss experience so I saved it until the end because I was afraid of getting my ass whupped again. But yeah it's a brilliant summon. Even better with mime materia. I def wouldn't have best him otherwise.

As for yuffie, I def didn't see her full potential. I wasn't too fond of her or vincent so didn't use them for fighting at all (may have uaed yuffie once or twice pre stealing) so didn't open new limits. I'll play again and use both characters and possibly get a different experience?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As for yuffie, I def didn't see her full potential. I wasn't too fond of her or vincent so didn't use them for fighting at all (may have uaed yuffie once or twice pre stealing) so didn't open new limits. I'll play again and use both characters and possibly get a different experience?

Well you won't really get a different experience. One of the flaws of FFVII is that every character is a blank slate. Other than their limit breaks, all each character is are empty slots for materia. Whether they are long range or not really doesn't make a difference very early in the game. It's made worse by Yuffie and Vincent being optional characters since in the story they have very few lines outside of their subquests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

It's funny but I think the best moments in FFVII are the really linear bits at the start. I'm playing on PC atm and when I reached the Shinra HQ I just decided to run up the stairs for a change, something I never did before. The exchanges between the characters were great, Barret got really f*cking irate about running up 60 floors of stairs. Later on they just give the characters one or two unique lines for each scenario so they lose some of their individuality.

Vincent is rubbish, so you missed nothing. Yuffie is good for morphing, not much else. It's not up to me but a good next title to play would be IX or X. VIII has a lot of depth but it's pretty broken. XII is a very acquired taste. XIII is just boring. VI is ok but it's a lot like VII.

Well you won't really get a different experience. One of the flaws of FFVII is that every character is a blank slate. Other than their limit breaks, all each character is are empty slots for materia. Whether they are long range or not really doesn't make a difference very early in the game. It's made worse by Yuffie and Vincent being optional characters since in the story they have very few lines outside of their subquests.

Sorry, I should have said fighting experience, with the different limits :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Christ almighty that was a fantastic read!

snausages wrote: »
    It's funny but I think the best moments in FFVII are the really linear bits at the start. I'm playing on PC atm and when I reached the Shinra HQ I just decided to run up the stairs for a change, something I never did before. The exchanges between the characters were great, Barret got really f*cking irate about running up 60 floors of stairs. Later on they just give the characters one or two unique lines for each scenario so they lose some of their individuality.

I think I mentioned it early but FFVII started out as a detective story set solely in Midgar. That probably explains why Midgar is so fleshed out and has the most detail in the story. After you leave Midgar I fins the game gets a lot weaker and turns into your common or garden linear globe trotting RPG.
    Vincent is rubbish, so you missed nothing. Yuffie is good for morphing, not much else. It's not up to me but a good next title to play would be IX or X. VIII has a lot of depth but it's pretty broken. XII is a very acquired taste. XIII is just boring. VI is ok but it's a lot like VII.

VI, IX or X would be a good next step. VI is the closest to VII and in my opinion it's a far superior game.
    Sorry, I should have said fighting experience, with the different limits :)

Well I was talking about fighting as well. Other than Limit breaks there's no much to differentiate the characters and limit breaks aren't really that important. There's a few endgame differences like Yuffies morph ability but they only serve a purpose if you are going after the optional bosses.

I myself just used everyone in the game equally. The game auto levels up characters not in your party anyway.

VI is the closest to VII and in my opinion it's a far superior game.

Probably. Speaking personally though as someone who started with the 3D FFs I found VI a difficult game to really enjoy. I definitely appreciate it, but it's not something I'd play again tbh. I guess we're at something of a disadvantage here as the game didn't even get released until the PS1 port with the FFX demo. Like you said, it's a lot like VII so whichever you play first will probably be the one that will affect you the most.

If you only played the PS1 port then I can understand if you didn't enjoy it. The PS1 port is horrendous with terrible loading times that slow the game down and that's made even worse by the European version being even slower again. The SNES version or even the GBA version and much better and are much faster paced games.

Don't bother playing VII again for a long while.

Make him get you a GC or Wii (if you don't have one) and a copy of Skies of Arcadia: Legends.

It's a really fun JRPG.

Don't bother playing VII again for a long while.

Make him get you a GC or Wii (if you don't have one) and a copy of Skies of Arcadia: Legends.

It's a really fun JRPG.

I fully endorse this post except for one small fact. Have you seen the price that that game goes for on Ebay :O

I fully endorse this post except for one small fact. Have you seen the price that that game goes for on Ebay :O

If he truly loves her......

One of my biggest regrets is trading it in!

Grandia might be a better alternative. It's got the same fun free spirited story and atmosphere and probably the best JRPG battle system ever devised all at a cheap PSN price (cheaper again on the US PSN and also doesn't run in crappy 50 Hz mode).

If you only played the PS1 port then I can understand if you didn't enjoy it. The PS1 port is horrendous with terrible loading times that slow the game down and that's made even worse by the European version being even slower again. The SNES version or even the GBA version and much better and are much faster paced games.

I only played the PS1 version very briefly. Mainly only got it for the demo. GBA is the one I completed. I know the SNES version is probably in another league but it didn't have the same appeal for me as Earthbound or Chrono Trigger. Maybe it's because VI has had countless sequels whereas Earthbound and CT have only had one each.

There's three games in the Earthbound/Mother series :)

I'd definitely rank CT and Earthbound far higher than FF6.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,066 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Probably. Speaking personally though as someone who started with the 3D FFs I found VI a difficult game to really enjoy. I definitely appreciate it, but it's not something I'd play again tbh. I guess we're at something of a disadvantage here as the game didn't even get released until the PS1 port with the FFX demo. Like you said, it's a lot like VII so whichever you play first will probably be the one that will affect you the most.

I played VII first and played the PS1 PAL version of FFVI last year and I have no problem saying that FFVI is the superior game. I had no problem with load times either. Then again, I've never played a game at 60Hz.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

The only aspects of VI I really thought were better than VII were the sidequests and the final boss. For everything else VII is the better game imo, even if it lifts entire plot pieces and scenarios from VI.

I thought FFVI was better in every way. The story is a lot better, FFVII's is a messand not particularly good. The esper system while not idea is a lot better than the materia system and the characters have unique abilities while FFVII characters are just materia holders. The soundtrack is on of the series best and it still looks amazing while FFVII is looking very ropey. The game changer that changes how the game is approached in the second half of the game is the series high point for me.

I guess it's all subjective really. I like the World of Ruin as well and it's a shame none of the other games really did anything like that. But I really didn't find the individual skills much more useful than limit breaks. Once you get magicite the only skill you really need to use is Sabin's blitz. At least limits are always somewhat useful.

With espers the characters are even more interchangable as they can learn and equip every single skill in the game whereas at least in VII they limit how many skills you can have unless you use master materia.

I can't really agree that VII is a mess. Tbh I think we hold these games to too high a standard sometimes. People say that VIII's story is awful as well but I really liked it. It's not Joyce or Dosteovsky but then I don't really play games for that kind of stuff.

16-bit stuff definitely dates better than 3D, yet I still have a fondness for very early 3-D. Its blockiness has a charm that the later 'realistic' stuff on PS2 and Dreamcast doesn't have. If they ever remade VII, I'd like to see them keep the weird lego proportions, just smooth them up a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭SilverFox261

Just found this thread today and spent a while going through it. Fantastic idea for a thread and fantastic read. Like many have said before, brought back lots of memories, so cheers for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Still have to beat Ruby and Emerald!!

Sephiroth was easy!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Alactric

Yup. Pretty much. For the price of Legends on GC you could get her a Dreamcast + Skies of Arcadia. It's only pure luck I got my copy back in the day, came out the same week as Windwaker if you can imagine, bought both and got a discount.

I only found out a year or two ago how rare the thing is. If you can get it, you'll adore it though. It's like FFIX-2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

This topic makes me very happy, GJ Mr. and Mrs. Red

The GC version has extra content and most importantly, a hugely reduced encounter rate.

• Advertisement

Still have to beat Ruby and Emerald!!

Sephiroth was easy!:pac:

But how??? Even before my timer hit the end he hit me and the damage they did was always more than the Hp I had!

Advertisement