Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Make your own Christmas Prezzies!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

laurah wrote: »
    She is type 2.
    I actually get on with my MIL dont want to kill her by giving her fudge :D
    Will do trial and error, she does eat alot of sweet stuff/junk food but I dont want to encourage it.

You're right too. If she's the type to eat a lot of sweet stuff then you're right not to encourage it. Good luck with the trial and error. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

If you google recipes for diabetics there are quite a few websites that might be worth a look.

http://www.cooksrecipes.com/category/diabetic.html has a festive section. It has some lovely sounding cookies and also festive drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 laurah

Thanks Namurt, will check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spidermany

Does the Aldi beetroot get added to the apple, vinegar etc and cooked for half hour, or is it mixed in separately at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

@ Spidermany, you would cook it again at the end, as the beetroot is cooked twice in this recipe, cos initally you cook it and then you add the rest of the ingredients & cook it again I would say.

I've never used cooked beetroot in it only fresh but that's what i'd presume.

Bobblehead is it a chocolate fudge cake or just chocolate fudge you wanted as sumone gave me a recipe for a vv tasty fudge cake lately. I haven't used it yet myself but I have tasted it so I can put it up if you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭sassa

Really keen to make my own gift baskets this year using some of the recipes on the thread. Although I'm trying to work out costs first would anyone know the cheapest place to buy baskets or boxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

sassa wrote: »
    Really keen to make my own gift baskets this year using some of the recipes on the thread. Although I'm trying to work out costs first would anyone know the cheapest place to buy baskets or boxes?

I have always sourced the baskets I use on eBay. It takes a bit of searching (you'll get alot of hits for 'wicker basket'!) but I usually manage to find packs of light 12 inch baskets that work out at around €2/basket (incl delivery). I get plain baskets as they are the cheapest, and then decorate with ribbon/bows. You can find some lovely, fancy baskets on eBay, but they can work out very expensive, especially with postage costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

Last year we were at the Christmas market on George's dock and saw gorgeous baskets that we just couldn't pass up, I think they were from Hampers & Co but don't know if they normally sell them empty or if it was just for the market. The previous year though I just went to the local charity shop and got a lovely basket for a couple of euro.
    I also managed to pick up lovely boxes that we used for cookies in Homestore and More. They had baubles in them but still worked out cheaper than any other boxes I had seen.
    Himself picked up everything else in the likes of Kitchen Compliments so probably could have gotten stuff much cheaper if we'd been more organised.

To be honest money is so tight this year that as much as I hate Christmassy stuff this early in the year I've decided that I'm going to keep an eye out for cheap containers from now on rather than trying to buy everything at the last minute. I've already got nice big cookie jars in Tesco for €2 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭sassa

Thanks for the tips guys think I 'll have a good look through ebay later and keep an eye out for the christmas market :D

Was thinking of making special cookies that santa leaves as a thank you for the kids and found this great template for making your own card boxes. my plan is to do add a nice christmas pattern to the template and a little message from santa on the inside here's the links for the templates if anyone else would be interested.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/57257

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/57258

have made a plain one already just to see how it looks. I just used a laminated sheet for the window. will post a pic later when i try out the christmas pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

Hi everyone, hope you don't mind if I join. I tried your lemon curd recipe last night and my God it is divine and turned out gorgeous I also made red onion marmalade from Neven and its beautiful. This is such a great thread, I've never done anything like this before but just find it so much fun and tasty. By the way Shaws have a 20% sale on at the moment and have the Kilner jars in it. I got 10 jars yesterday for about 16 euro. As we have our own apples here I am hoping to find a really nice festive apple chutney recipe and nice tomatoe relish as well. If I discover any nice ones I'll let you know. Oh by the way try the simple lemon drizzle cake over on the cooking club, its absolutely divine!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

Hi SlimCi,

Lorraine Pascal on her new show made an Apple chutney, my friend made it the other night and she said that it was devine and cheap to make too:

This wintry chutney recipe is utterly delicious and a great accompaniment to meat dishes.
    Ingredients
    1kg/2.2lb Bramley apples, peeled, cored, cut into large chunks
    300g/10½oz onions, peeled, thinly sliced
    275g/10oz granulated sugar
    150ml/5fl oz balsamic vinegar
    2 tsp ground cinnamon
    freshly ground black pepper
    300g/10½oz blackberries

Preparation method

Sterilise the jars by putting them into the dishwasher on the hottest cycle to wash and dry. Take them out when you are about ready to use them and don’t touch any of the inside of the jars with your hands. (Alternatively, put the jars in a very large pan of boiling water. You will also need to sterilise the equipment you use to take the jars out of the pan.)

Place the jars into the oven set at a low temperature until completely dry inside.

Put the apples, onions, sugar, balsamic vinegar, cinnamon and freshly ground black pepper into a large saucepan. Place over a medium heat and gently stir together until well combined.

Once the mixture has reached boiling point, turn down the heat and leave to simmer for 45–55 minutes, stirring occasionally. The apples and onions should become lovely and soft, and the liquid should be thick and syrupy.

Add the blackberries and cook for a further 10–12 minutes.

Spoon the chutney into a sterilised jug and fill the jars. Seal and store in a dark place. The chutney will keep for up to four months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

If you have your own apples you should try apple butter

I can't find my own recipe jsut now but you get the idea. It's christmas in a jar imo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Guys - does anyone have recipes for mini christmas puds or mini christmas cakes? Or maybe some mince pies? I could google this but want to get the tried and tested recipes. I trust you folk.;)

Also - does anyone have ideas for savoury items to put in the hampers? Im gonna make the chili jam and the beetroot chutney. Any other ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Trí wrote: »
    Guys - does anyone have recipes for mini christmas puds or mini christmas cakes? Or maybe some mince pies? I could google this but want to get the tried and tested recipes. I trust you folk.;)

Also - does anyone have ideas for savoury items to put in the hampers? Im gonna make the chili jam and the beetroot chutney. Any other ideas?

I made some harissa, dukka and some of the pickled cucumber from a recipe someone gave earlier in the thread. I saw a recipe for cheese crackers somewhere also (as well as a recipe for mozzerella if your feeling v. creative).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Dinkie wrote: »
    I made some harissa, dukka and some of the pickled cucumber from a recipe someone gave earlier in the thread. I saw a recipe for cheese crackers somewhere also (as well as a recipe for mozzerella if your feeling v. creative).
    Hey - thanks a million for this. To be honest, I don't want it to be chili overkill by making the harissa. I'm already putting in chili jam.

Don't really like the sound of the cucumber thing... nor the dukka.. No offence to the recipe providers.;)

Really interested in the mozzarella and cheese crackers.. Were they listed in this thread? I cant find it at all. If not, do you have a linky?

Any other ideas anyone. Cheers.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

Gingerbread cookies and the lemon curd turned out really gorgeous!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Hi all,

is there a substitute for sugar that I could use in these recipes in general?
    Would love to make up a hamper for my OH's parents as we are spending Christmas with them this year, but my OH's father is diabetic :(

I think the diabetes issue was addressed in the last couple of pages? I don't think there is a suger substitute suitable for the chilli jam. Maybe I am wrong but I thought that diabetic jam relies heavily on the natural sugars in fruit that would not be present in chilli.

I just made a batch of the ginger cookies from the first page. Certainly smell nice.

EDIT: Om nom nom!!! Think I'm going to be putting on my christmas weight early this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Howdy folks! I've been away for a while lately and it's great to be back and see one of my favourite threads resurrected :)

Last year the contribution to this thread actually made my Christmas, and this year I'll definitely be making the chilli jam, gingerbread house, baileys fudge and a few new ones!

For those looking for a festive recipe for diabetics, my OH's grandad was diabetic and I used to make the following fruit cake for him which he loved:

Sugarless Fruit Bars
    Servings: 20
    "A fruity and flavorful bar without the sugar."
    INGREDIENTS:
    1/2 cup pitted dates
    1/2 cup pitted prunes
    1/2 cup chopped raisins
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup margarine
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    DIRECTIONS:
    1. Cut dates and prunes into small pieces. Boil dates, prunes, raisins, and water for 5 minutes. Add margarine. Mix and set aside to cool.
    2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
    3. Mix the eggs, vanilla and nuts. Add to the fruit mixture. Sift the flour, baking soda and salt and add to the fruit mixture. (If you want a spicy bar add 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon and 1/4 tsp. Nutmeg to the flour.)
    4. Spread in 7 x 11 inch pan and bake for 25-30 mins

This could easily be used as a Christmas cake too. Sadly my OH's grandad passed away two years ago and he is missed every day. This recipe gave me great joy, making him a sweet treat which he longed for.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ballymac676

Read the whole thread with great interest. Ideas are really good. If you get a chance could you please post the recipe for Pickled beetroot. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

For those thinking of doing quite a few hampers and who have a registered business, this crowd seem to have very good prices for baskets and related packaging - cellophane, wood shred etc if you are buying a lot. Also decorations and nice touches like little wooden spoons to go with your jars of preserves! Some instructions on how to create some nice presented hampers too. Trade only - not sure how strict they are on this. Shipping £19 stg.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

I have nothing to do with this company but have heard from someone in a business that these guys http://www.doyledist.com/ are very reasonable for gift baskets. Just looking at the site and it doesn't say if they sell to the public but the photos on the site look like it is laid out as a shop, so if someone needed baskets etc, this might be the place.

I personally are not going to use baskets etc for my stuff as I have picked up a few dinky jars in shops over the last while but someone might be interested

Trí wrote: »
    Hey - thanks a million for this. To be honest, I don't want it to be chili overkill by making the harissa. I'm already putting in chili jam.

Don't really like the sound of the cucumber thing... nor the dukka.. No offence to the recipe providers.;)

Really interested in the mozzarella and cheese crackers.. Were they listed in this thread? I cant find it at all. If not, do you have a linky?

Any other ideas anyone. Cheers.:)
    Read the whole thread with great interest. Ideas are really good. If you get a chance could you please post the recipe for Pickled beetroot. Thanks

Sorry, I was meant to do this ages ago. I'm away for work at the moment, but will post links / recipe this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Got started on my presents for this year.

I'm making chilli jam, pomegranate vodka, tomato ketchup, mulled pears, rhubarb pear and ginger jam, cranberry and apple chutney, lemon curd, mango chutney and apple, cider and sage jelly.

That's the plan - the number of items will, inevitably, be revised downwards!

I started with the apple jelly.

The ingredients are 450g cooking apples, 1 lemon, granulated sugar, 600ml cider and 25g sage.

Chop the apples and lemon. Put them in a large pan and add 600ml of water. Bring to the boil, half cover and simmer for 20 minutes until the apples have pulped. Mash gently with a potato masher.

Tip the pulp into a sieve lined with muslin and leave to drip over night. Don't force the pulp at all, as this will make the jelly cloudy.

The next day, measure the juice. For every 600ml of juice you will need 450g of granulated sugar. Add the juice to a clean pan with the cider and the sage. Bring to a simmer. Add the sugar and stir until it dissolves. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 minutes or until it reaches setting point.

Remove from the heat and leave to cool for 10 minutes before ladling into sterilised jars and sealing.

The yield was a little disappointing given that the recipe said I would get 1.25 kg. The jars pictured are only 380ml jars and I didn't even get 2 full ones. That said, it smells amazing.

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=10847

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Trackguy, I've made apple jelly since childhood and have always used more than one muslin draining overnight. Obviously there is less pulp in each, but you get more liquid yield in total. I also double strain them-there is always more juice!!

shinikins wrote: »
    Trackguy, I've made apple jelly since childhood and have always used more than one muslin draining overnight. Obviously there is less pulp in each, but you get more liquid yield in total. I also double strain them-there is always more juice!!

My lack of patience got the better of me yet again!

Thanks for the advice :)

Finally made the chilli jam from the first page, I half the recipe but only got one jar out of it. I think to make it set you need to reduce it more. It tastes nice and all but I think I'm going to stick to Jamie Olivers chilli pepper chutney, I think it has more flavour.

Was going to make up a batch of apple butter but I have no more jars.

Also was told a good tip for how to tell if your jam is ready. Put a saucer in the freezer an hour before cooking. When the jam has been boiling for its allotted time, spoon a small amount onto the saucer. Run your finger through it and if it crinkles it is ready.

Finally - This is the recipe for the beetroot chutney. Its really easy to make and goes down well with most people. I buy the beetroot in the vacuum packs (it save on price and the effort of having to cook it).

It makes 3 full smaller size kilner jars (bought in ikea and tesco).

1kg (2lb) cooked beetroot
    500g (1lb) onions
    500g (1lb) sugar
    1 teasp allspice berries crushed
    1 teasp mustard seeds
    1 teasp coriander seeds
    5 peppercorns (I use about 1/2 teasp ground black pepper as I don't have corns)
    1 tablesp salt
    500ml vinegar (I use cider vinegar)
    60g (2oz) flour

Put beetroot and onions in a blender and pulse until chopped finely (not pureed).

Combine beetroot and onion iwth sugar, allspice, mustard seeds, coriander seeds, peppercorns, salt and enough vinegar to cover.
    Bring to boil
    and then simmer 25 mins
    Mix flour to a paste with water
    Add to beetroot and stir in
    Boil for 5mins to thicken.
    Pour chutney into sterile jars and cover when cool

I'll add a pic of the finished product tomorrow when I can find my camera.

Mozzerella

I have never made this, but am definately going to buy the ingredients to at least try it soon. Making mozzerella was mentioned in another thread and have been dying to make it ever since. You can use whole milk, but I'm planning on getting unpasturised milk from a friends farm to try it.

This is the link to the recipe I'm going to use:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2189956_make-mozzarella-cheese.html

Good luck and let me know how you get on if you try it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Milkymoo

Selenra could you post up or pm me your plum an apple preserve recipe please? I've been looking for something similar to use up our plum crop.

• Advertisement

Made tomato ketchup tonight. It's from The Preserving Book by Lynda Brown. It turned out very well, I was tasting it with a teaspoon and was yearning for some chips!

1kg tomatoes, chopped
    1 carrot, chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    1 stick of celery, chopped
    a good pinch of ground cloves
    1 tsp of ground mace
    1 bay leaf
    1 tsp salt
    60g soft light brown sugar
    150ml red wine vinegar

Put all the ingredients except the sugar into a large pan and bring to a boil. Put on the lid, reduce to a simmer and leave for 20 minutes. Take off the lid and cook for another 15 minutes.

Blitz in a food processor and pass through a nylon sieve. Return to the cleaned-out pan and add the sugar. Bring to the boil and boil for 5 minutes until it has thickened slightly.

Immediately funnel into sterilized jars. I got 2 x 380ml jars from this recipe.

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=10907

Advertisement