Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Make your own Christmas Prezzies!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 catlover2010

Delighted I came across this thread! I am planning on making little foodie hampers as gifts for my family this year and really inspired by some of the suggestions on here :)

I also came across these websites which have nice gift ideas too

http://thestonesoup.com/blog/2010/11/9-christmas-gifts-to-make-at-home-5-ingredients-a-new-virtual-cooking-class/

http://www.chsugar.com/giftideas/gift-mixes/

I'm going to make the BBQ Sauce as my Dad loves it and I'm also going to make up some of the cookie mix/drinks mix in a jar for my sister. I love the little printable labels on that website.

I'll be checking back for more ideas and if the result of my efforts are respectable I'll post some pics :D

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

I have made 3 lots of this Chilli Jam in the past few weeks but cannot get it to set.
    It remains very runny - but yummy :D

Has anyone any tips on how to make it set s bit more?

I put it on everything - I'm that addicted to it, I doubt there will be any left for gifts

Lemon Curd
    Ingredients:
    2 eggs plus one egg yolk
    3 lemons
    175g caster sugar
    100g butter (the recipe states unsalted, but we just used regular)

Hey Senelra,
    Just wondering about the Lemon Curd recipe, is the list of ingredients given for one lot or is that what made the 6 batches? Sorry if this is a silly question :P but I would like to make it and I really only need around 6 jars. Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

35notout wrote: »
    I have made 3 lots of this Chilli Jam in the past few weeks but cannot get it to set.
    It remains very runny - but yummy :D

Has anyone any tips on how to make it set s bit more?

I put it on everything - I'm that addicted to it, I doubt there will be any left for gifts

At first I was perplexed with this as well, but having researched it I have found that it is supposed to be a very soft set, as said by nigella herself! Also there is insufficient solid material to make it set hard, so even by adding even more pectin from a bottle, it still doesn't set that hard. I suppose you could try adding even more chillis and peppers, double the amount perhaps, but it would involve re-calculating the other variables in the recipe.

Any jam/preserving experts out there willing to help?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I made chilli jam last year and it was very runny alright.

I'm so inspired by this thread! I just wish I had more people to get gifts for now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

Hey Senelra,
    Just wondering about the Lemon Curd recipe, is the list of ingredients given for one lot or is that what made the 6 batches? Sorry if this is a silly question :P but I would like to make it and I really only need around 6 jars. Thanks,

That's the basic recipe, which we made 6 times (if that makes sense!). So each batch leaves you with one extra egg white. We made 6 batches, filled 16 jars (of various sizes) and had 6 egg whites over.
    :)

Eviledna wrote: »
    At first I was perplexed with this as well, but having researched it I have found that it is supposed to be a very soft set, as said by nigella herself! Also there is insufficient solid material to make it set hard, so even by adding even more pectin from a bottle, it still doesn't set that hard. I suppose you could try adding even more chillis and peppers, double the amount perhaps, but it would involve re-calculating the other variables in the recipe.

Any jam/preserving experts out there willing to help?

Yeah the jam I make is quite runny too. I thought it was odd at first, and that I would prefer it to be more set. But the more I make it (and eat it!) the more I prefer that consistency. Just dip in a teaspoon and dollop onto whatever I'm eating.

I realise that's no help, but just my 2c! :D

hehee, yup I think runny chilli jam is the new cocaine, once you have it you can't stop eating it! The OH is after polishing off one of the gift jars!! :eek:
    It's chilli rehab for him!

@Senelra, so do you think one batch of the lemon curd would fill a .5L kilner jar?

As for the extra egg whites, you could make these adorable christmas meringue snowflakes! Recipe From Here

meringue-snowflakes-christmas-recipe-photo-160-FF1203KITCHA04.jpg

Ingredients
    • 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
    • 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
    • 1 cup confectioner's sugar
    • 1/4 teaspoon flavored extract, such as lemon, peppermint, orange, or almond
    • 2 tablespoons colored sugar or edible glitter

Instructions
    1. Heat the oven to 200º. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until frothy, about 3 minutes. Set the mixer speed to high and beat another 3 minutes or so until the eggs whites are fluffy.
    2. Add the confectioner's sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, and continue beating until the egg whites are stiff and glossy, about 5 minutes. Then beat in the extract.
    3. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Use a pencil to draw snowflake patterns on the paper. The meringues will not spread, so they can be drawn fairly close together. Turn the papers printed-side down and stick them to the baking sheets by dabbing a little meringue in each corner.
    4. Spoon the meringue into a large pastry bag fitted with a 1/4-inch round tip and pipe it, erring on the thick side so the snowflakes will be less fragile, onto the paper-lined sheets following the patterns. Sprinkle the meringues with colored sugar or edible glitter.
    5. Bake the snowflakes until dry but not browned, about 1 hour. Carefully slide the parchment paper from the baking sheets to wire racks and let the meringues cool completely.
    6. Using scissors, cut the paper between the meringues to separate them. Then gently peel away the paper from each one, keeping one hand under the snowflake to support the edges. The meringues will stay crisp for up to 2 weeks if stored in an airtight container at room temperature (do not refrigerate them). Makes about 20.

By the way, I'm typing out/copying the recipe texts so that people on smart phones can read the recipe in the kitchen. Saves our beloved laptops from getting splattered with mixture (:onot that that has ever happened to me...:o)

So if anyone is posting a recipe, please link and copy the shortest version of the recipe, if that's ok with the Mods? :)

@Senelra, so do you think one batch of the lemon curd would fill a .5L kilner jar?

Those snowflakes are the cutest! :)

Um, I think one batch could do it..... I'm afraid to say yes in case you make just one batch and it falls short! :o

We made double-batches, and that filled about 5 jars each time. The jars were various sizes, but mostly about the size of a Patak's curry paste jar, or a jar of salsa/Ballymaloe relish. Are they about 250ml?? So I guess one batch might just make it.

Of course, you could just make a double batch and eat any leftovers with a spoon (not that I would do that. ahem). :D

Edit: Just after checking the original recipe (for one batch) and it says it makes 'one jar'. I guess that's a 1lb jar. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

Does anyone have a nice Rocky Road recipe the one i tried this evening wasn't great...

• Advertisement

senelra wrote: »
    That's the basic recipe, which we made 6 times (if that makes sense!). So each batch leaves you with one extra egg white. We made 6 batches, filled 16 jars (of various sizes) and had 6 egg whites over.
    :)

Thanks for clarifying that for me Senelra :)

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

Runny jam it is so :D

I'm not complaining, its easier to eat - just thought I was doing something wrong.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Hey guys, sorry if this is a dumb question :o I made some microwave fudge with the idea of putting into jars or packets as gifts. The trial batch turned out nice, tastes good. I have a few questions though.

Firstly how long does fudge actually keep for? Do I have to make it the day before giving it?

The fudge I made is *very* slightly sticky. I'm afraid that if I put it in a jar that it will clump together into a big mess.

Any advice for a complete dessert novice?

Fudge should last for at least a month with all that sugar preserving it. Keep it in an airtight bag, or box/tin in a cool but not damp place.

If it's sticky try dusting it/rolling it with icing sugar to give it grab-able edges. Or nuts, or cocoa depending on the flavour and stickiness.
    Icing sugar should work best though.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Countdown1982

Thanks so much for all the great ideas. I am well inspired. Will try the lemon curd over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Tried the biscotti and it turned out really well! I'm going to make more for a few people next week.

Thanks for the recipe! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

I'm making all sorts of treats for friends and family this year. Done a few trial runs to see if a) it's easy and b) it's not going to poison someone.

Made fudge, brownies, caramel slices, and have done pecan pie, cinnamon rolls and truffles before so I shouldn't mess them up. Also going to have a stab at Baileys cheese cake. And I might give mince pies ago if I have time. Here's the recipes and my experience doing them.

Fudge
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/peanutbutterfudge_93630
    Very very rich stuff, cut up into chunks the size of an oxo cube. Going to put some in small mason jars with other stuff as pressies. I used a round rubber "tin" and let it cool before firming up in the fridge before slicing up. I got very dark brown sugar for a euro in supervalu. I also used the peanut butter without the added vegetable oil.

Brownies
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chocolate-recipes/bloomin-brilliant-brownies
    Easy to do and very nice. Very moreish. Make sure you butter the greaseproof paper on both sides so it doesn't stick when your're cutting it. Square or rectangular tins are the best. I topped mine with mini marshmallows but these flattened as they cooked. Still nice to eat. Couldn't find soured cherries so used normal ones. EDIT Recipe called for 4 large free range I used 5 small aldi eggs

Caramel Slices
    http://www.rte.ie/food/2009/0129/caramelshortbread.html
    My shortbread was a bit hard but I added the sugar to the flour and butter rather than separately. It could be that I used a loaf tin and the shortbread base was too thick. Very nice though.

Pecan Pie
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/pecanpie_12453
    Cheapest place for pecans was tesco think it was the 100g purple packs. The crust will darken a lot as you cook so use a ring of tinfoil to cover it from burning. I love this stuff. Great on its own hot or cold or with whipped cream.

Cinnamon rolls
    http://recipesireland.com/baking/347-cinnamon-rolls
    Got addicted to these in tesco. Great with a mug of tea. I got the yeast in superquinn but dunnes have the sachet variety too. The pastry can be pre-made and takes away alot of the work once done. Don't roll them too tight as they'll turn into spires of pastry. If you love the filling use more as they sugar melts out of them into the bottom into the tray and you'll lament all the sugary goodness. I added som raisans also. Same goes for the icing topping. It's very easy to make lots of little ones depending on how you roll the dough.

Truffles
    I didn't use a recipe for these just read loads of recipes and winged it with the ingredients. This probably makes about 40-50 depending on size.

300g of 70% choc,
    227ml (i think thats what it is) bottle of double cream,
    Honey to sweeten to taste
    Cocoa powder (drinking chocolate)
    Coconut flakes (chopped nuts or whatever you fancy as the outer coating)

Double cream and 200g of chocolate in pyrex bowl over pot of warm water on a gentle heat. Melt it all together and add honey to sweeten. Stir well if it looks oily just keep stirring EDIT and add a drop of milk at a time and it'll come good. Chill in fridge till slightly hard and use 2 teaspoons to make balls, roll in cocoa powder and dunk in melted 100g of 70% choc and finally your coating. I used toasted coconut flakes for a snowball look but be creative. I got fancy cases in kitchen compliments to round it off. They also freeze a treat.
    http://www.kitchencomplements.ie/kc/Main/Category.asp?iCategoryID=121

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

So today I got started on these and made the stuff that will keep well. I've made chilli jam, lemon curd, fudge (didn't quite work out but it's stil tasty) and cranberry nut biscotti. Now I'm exhausted but happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

senelra wrote: »
    Yeah the jam I make is quite runny too. I thought it was odd at first, and that I would prefer it to be more set. But the more I make it (and eat it!) the more I prefer that consistency. Just dip in a teaspoon and dollop onto whatever I'm eating.

I realise that's no help, but just my 2c! :D

I made the chilli jam for gifts a few weeks ago and it has set really quite firm. When I tip the jar it moves around in one lump. The jam sugar makes it set no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I was just reading Nigella website and she says to make sure it is jam sugar you use as it contains added pectin to help make it set. I'm going to buy the ingredients for the some of the stuff tomorrow...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

LOVING this thread, it's really inspiring.
    Those of you who have made the lemon curd and chilli jam, did you "can" the jars afterwards to preserve them? Some websites I've looked at have instructions to boil the filled jars in water to preserve them for longer.

I didn't, only for the fact that it won't last long enough to spoil through conventional pre-steralization!! :D

I didn't, only for the fact that it won't last long enough to spoil through conventional pre-steralization!! :D

This is what I went with too. I'll mention to family and friends when I drop the baskets off that they should try to use everything sooner rather than later, and to store in the fridge once opened.

Planning to make a few batches of biscotti tomorrow, and my friend is making mince pies (using our homemade mincemeat). We're assembling the baskets on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Made a batch of Avoca lemon curd and it curdled, despite my being careful.
    So I found a method on the net to prevent curdling and used the recipe on page 1 here...
    Creamed the butter and suger, beat in eggs one at a time, then added the lemon juice.
    Put it in a pyrex bowl over a pan of simmering water and whisked it till it thickened. its gorgeous and looks beautiful!

I gotta say...a "bain marie" or pot of simmering water is also the ONLY way to safely melt chocolate, especially white chocolate.

Alas the many microwaved ramekins with burnt chocolate wasted...until I discovered patience :)

Gotta say thanks again to everyone for keeping this thread alive and contributing, I really hope that it saves peeps some money this christmas...the best gift is home-made :D

We gave this recipe for Mulling Syrup a go, and tried it out last weekend. The mulled wine made with it tasted lovely (we threw in some clove-studded pieces of orange for effect too). This would be a nice gift if you were visiting someone over Christmas, you could even throw in a bottle of plonk to mull with it. We just couldn't source enough good-sized bottles (on the cheap!) to make this for the hampers we're putting together. Any nice 400 - 500ml bottle would do, and decorate with a cinnamon stick tied on with ribbon. Also, include a label with instructions on how to use it, suggested below.

The recipe is from bbcgoodfood.com, but I'll write it out here.

Mulling Syrup
    Ingredients:

250g caster or granulated sugar
    2 oranges, halved
    6 whole cloves
    6 whole allspice (We didn't have this, so substituted 1 tsp ground allspice. Any ideas where to get allspice berries??)
    2 cinnamon sticks
    1/4 nutmeg, freshly grated
    small piece of ginger, sliced

What To Do:

Put all the ingredients into a saucepan along with 1 litre of water. Bring slowly to a simmer, making sure all the sugar dissolves. Turn down the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Leave to cool and then pass through a very fine sieve.

attachment.php?attachmentid=139848&stc=1&d=1292604278
    Sterilise your bottles by washing them in hot soapy water, rinsing well, then drying them in a warm oven. Meanwhile, rewarm the syrup until just hot, then pour into the bottles while still hot and seal.

attachment.php?attachmentid=139849&stc=1&d=1292604303

Before giving away, add labels with serving instructions: Heat 400ml syrup with 750ml red wine or cider and some slices of orange or apple. Syrup will keep in a cool, dark place for up to 3 months.

It is stated that this recipe makes about 800ml (2x400ml) bottles, and this is pretty close to what we got out.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jendafer1

So I've been scouring the internet for ages now looking for ideas for presents, came up with nothing and then it occured to me to look up boards.ie and hey presto - the perfect thread!! I was actually looking for an idea for a dairy-free treat so am gonna try the biscotti recipe - looks yum! and in return - my recipe for marzipan sweets that I've been making for my Dad since I was v little:

soak glace cherries in sherry overnight
    wrap cherries in ready-bought marzipan
    cover with dark chocolate
    place blanched almond on top

yum :)

So simple but a real treat for those ppl that cant get enough of marzipan!

Well I started making my gifts today. I've made the Lemon Curd from this thread, Chilli Jam from this recipe http://www.thegoodmoodfoodblog.com/2008/11/chilli-jam.html and BBQ sauce from this site http://thestonesoup.com/blog/2010/11/9-christmas-gifts-to-make-at-home-5-ingredients-a-new-virtual-cooking-class/. I have to say it gives a great sense of achievement and it's great to see all the yummy looking jars :) More to do tomorrow!

Anyone give me ideas on where to get nice paper or something to cover the lids of the jars with?

Well I started making my gifts today. I've made the Lemon Curd from this thread, Chilli Jam from this recipe http://www.thegoodmoodfoodblog.com/2008/11/chilli-jam.html and BBQ sauce from this site http://thestonesoup.com/blog/2010/11/9-christmas-gifts-to-make-at-home-5-ingredients-a-new-virtual-cooking-class/. I have to say it gives a great sense of achievement and it's great to see all the yummy looking jars :) More to do tomorrow!

Anyone give me ideas on where to get nice paper or something to cover the lids of the jars with?

Yay for you! :D

We picked up a big piece of red and white gingham in Hickeys last week (think it was about €5) to cover the jar lids. Have to track down some pinking shears tomorrow to cut it into squares. A dab of glue on the lid will hold the fabric in place and some nice ribbon or twine (the stuff you often get in packs with wrapping paper) to tie around it. I'll post some pics when we put it all together. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭nothing

I'm planning on making truffles, chocolates, fudge, caramels, marshmallows and honeycomb. The only one I've tried out so far is the honeycomb (picture attached), and it came out really well, using Nigella's recipe (also named Hokey Pokey or Cinder Toffee if you're looking for it). Going to trial run everything else tonight/tomorrow.

But I'm waiting til Tuesday to make them proper, since I'm posting most of them, and most of the recipes say they'll keep about a week. Eeee.

Honeycomb

Ingredients
    1/2 cup white sugar
    4 tablespoons golden syrup or 4 tablespoons dark corn syrup
    1/2 tablespoon baking soda

Directions

Stir sugar and syrup together in a cold pan.
    Put over medium-high heat; from this point, do NOT stir, but only swirl the pan.
    Cook until golden and thick, and bubbles are beginning to mount. (or 155 degrees celcius if you have a candy thermometer)
    Turn off heat and add baking soda.
    Whisk vigorously.
    Pour onto a silicone liner (Silpat), or pan covered in greaseproof paper, and let stand 15 minutes.
    Smash into large pieces.

Planning to use Alton Brown's recipes for Marshmallows and Fudge, a Daring Bakers recipe for the caramels, and found some random recipes online for truffles and chocolates.

Will post them if they work out :D

Advertisement