Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

peli double rifle case.

• 18-10-2014 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Am thinking of a peli case.are they worth the money?? Would there be any second hand ones about.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Am thinking of a peli case.are they worth the money?? Would there be any second hand ones about.

What do you want it for?

I have a one gun that demands a big, sturdy, well built case and use a peli for the job.

However, most of my guns are in soft cases for travel to the field or range.

Not much use, aside from air travel, for hard cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭freddieot

These things really are the business. They are ideal for air travel as they meet all airline requirements for transporting firearms.

I've had mine for the last 7 years and it has no dings or dents even though it's used most weekends and has been through the caring hands of Aer Lingus and friends on many occasions.

On the downside, I have a big case and it is quite heavy even without the rifle. Really only useful for use in the car and the short trot from car to firing point.
    If you are getting any of these type of cases make sure you get one with a set of wheels.

Another factor is that you can run a steel cable(s) through the child seat mounting cables on the back of most car seats or floor mounting points and if you padlock it to the case then you can secure it reasonably well in the boot of the car.

If you also use a heavy duty soft case then you can dispense with part of the foam insert and just put the cased rifle in instead. This means you also have a soft case to use when you get to where you are going and don't have to drag the peli everywhere (different range points etc.). I learned this the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Are they worth the money??Most certainly! When you consider the amount of chucking and abuse that case will get when you are on air travel.Around this time last year between Nurnberg and Dublin ground staff managed to actually BREAK a big hunk out of mine!:mad: Fortunatly the main dealer for Ireland lives three minutes up the road from me,and under the lifetime warranty replaced it there and then.They were amazed to see that damage to a case that is designed to withstand the most heftiest abuse that any military organisation can dole out to its equipment.:eek:
    So consider this ,are you willing to let your expensive rifle get damaged by a bunch of clowns who take perverse joy of chucking anything around that looks tough as nails or is marked FRAGILE in airline baggage? I worked in airline baggage handling and the stories of abuse to peoples bags I could tell you is unbeliveable be times.:(
    Buy one and spend the bobs.You wont regret it.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have lots of peli products, they are great with warranty.
    Last time my torch broke the warranty stated, lifetime no exclusions except sharkbite, bear attack or children under 3.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If you're going to bring the rifle anywhere abroad, the answer is yes, without doubt or question. However, there are competing makes of case with Peli (Storm and SBS) whose cases are just as good at protecting your rifle. All three see a lot of use by shooters on the international circuit, and they're all equally good at the job (and it's truly impressive how much abuse you have to put those cases through to make them fail).

On the other hand, if you're only ever carrying it about in the car... well, I just use the Peli for everything anyway but I used to use soft cases for the job and for just car trips, they're okay.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Your thread title mentions a "double rifle case". Are you looking for a case for a double rifle or a case that holds two rifles?

If you're looking for a case that holds two rifles (e.g. a Peli 1750) then there are two main problems with it. First, the 1750 doesn't fit in the boot of a lot of cars or if it does you can't fit anything else in the boot. The second problem is that if you're buying the case to fly with rifles then some airlines won't allow you to have more than one gun in each case.

Unless you're flying with your gun, save your money and use a soft case or a cheaper hard plastic case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I have a peli storm im3300 and it is great i picked it up here second hand for 180 which was a bargin. i will never get rid of it. I would recomend them but as said they wont fit in the boot of a normal car.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Not too bad

Am heading to Germany next month for the IGRF shoot in leitmar. would love a peli but they are fairly expensive was hoping sum1 had a link for a cheaper yet sturdy case my two rifles .38 and 10/22 have cost a nice few pound so don't want them to get damaged.Doubt I'd get a peli at this short notice..Thanks for your comments much appreciated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Have seen these for around €250. Cheaper than Peli and seems to be as sturdy. It's a Plano all weather rifle case.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Not too bad

They are the ones I've had my eye on but can't seem to get my hands on one.i know that sum dealers sell them with the anchutz target rifles.But yet can't get them in.

• Advertisement

Sean Harding in Stakelums had two, last time i was down. About 4 weeks ago.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

Cass wrote: »
    Have seen these for around €250. Cheaper than Peli and seems to be as sturdy. It's a Plano all weather rifle case.

Use a lot of peli cases at work, all shapes and sizes. Be amazed at the instruments you find in the models we think of as rifle cases.

Came across a few of what seems to be the one you have shown with the outfit I'm working with at the moment.

About a year old, some cracks and each have one or more of the closing clips broken off. To be fair they already have seen more service than the average shooters rifle case would in 10 years or more but apart from skuff marks the peli cases bought for the same project all seem to be holding up fine.

For a wee bit more would stick with the peli or a bit more again the Irish made Storm case which seems almost indestructible.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭archerforever

Is storm Irish made? Where ?

323 wrote: »
    For a wee bit more would stick with the peli or a bit more again the Irish made Storm case which seems almost indestructible.
    You're right, but the OP wanted the same or close to the same quality for less money:
    would love a peli but they are fairly expensive was hoping sum1 had a link for a cheaper yet sturdy case
    Hence the recommendation for the Plano.

Advertisement