Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

satellitetv.ie

• 24-10-2010 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

hi has anyone had any dealings with satellitetv .ie? or preferably <snip>. my experience began august 26th when he installed a motorised system for me. the reciever used was a tm800hd which i had previously told him on the phone I didnt think was fully working. anyway it was installed ok no problem there, I got no information from him about the reciever or if something went wrong or how to rectify it .he just told me that in a couple of months i would learn a lot more as i go, that i would only understand about 10% of what he told me. anyway after trying to update the reciever I lost everything no satellites, no picture, no dish moving, I have nothing , nothing since september 5th, after phoning him numerous times i have been promised he will call.The last time he was contacted was october 2nd and i was promised the week ending the 23rd october, guess what no show .I paid good money for this system i would expect some customer service as is the norm for most companies but maybe not for satellitetv.ie .So thats it sorry about such a long note but thats my experience of <snip> and satellitetv.ie . I would not recommend him I have learnt a lesson about motorised systems

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

hi has anyone had any dealings with satellitetv .ie? or preferably <snip>. my experience began august 26th when he installed a motorised system for me. the reciever used was a tm800hd which i had previously told him on the phone I didnt think was fully working. anyway it was installed ok no problem there, I got no information from him about the reciever or if something went wrong or how to rectify it .he just told me that in a couple of months i would learn a lot more as i go, that i would only understand about 10% of what he told me. anyway after trying to update the reciever I lost everything no satellites, no picture, no dish moving, I have nothing , nothing since september 5th, after phoning him numerous times i have been promised he will call.The last time he was contacted was october 2nd and i was promised the week ending the 23rd october, guess what no show .I paid good money for this system i would expect some customer service as is the norm for most companies but maybe not for satellitetv.ie .So thats it sorry about such a long note but thats my experience of <snip> and satellitetv.ie . I would not recommend him I have learnt a lesson about motorised systems

Let me get this straight.You supplied your own receiver and you mucked it up and you expect <snip> to fix it? :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭pelisor2000

if you update the receiver and lost all the data is not is fault...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Did you buy the box off satellitetv aswell? Updates normally wipe your settings so it may be just a matter of setting the box up again!

We need to hear the full story before we can comment.

Having said that I bought a vu+ duo off him and the scart socket wasn't working. <snip> wasn't too helpful so I got help from a vu+ forum. I changed the original image on the box with the VTI image and the scart worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭fish fingers

They are a bit awkward to get going, are you ever up around Galway? Iv set up one for my cousin, I could set up your one for you.
    Have a look here for help http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/tm800hd.html

• Registered Users Posts: 53,756 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

From my experience Satellite installers hate motorised dishes because the know the customer will expect them to fix the dish when ever its faulty or somthing and they wont get paid for it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Headshot wrote: »
    From my experience Satellite installers hate motorised dishes because the know the customer will expect them to fix the dish when ever its faulty or somthing and they wont get paid for it.
    its not too much to ask a satellite installer to be able to fix what hes selling/fitting is it?
    if the satellite installer did not provide the dish then he should either not have fitted it for him,or if he agreed to fit the system he should have made sure all the components he was fitting were working properly.
    its not good enough to take payment for providing a service and then not explaining how to use the system you have just installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 liammccarthy

carbsy wrote: »
    Let me get this straight.You supplied your own receiver and you mucked it up and you expect <snip> to fix it? :rolleyes:
    he supplied reciever

i rang him a few months back as i seen one of the motorised systems on hes website,i was thinking about buying one.i asked him a few questions the last one being could he send me a channel list of the channels i would get.he couldnt provide one or tell me any channels that would be on it.i didnt buy one.glad now.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

In my experience the company and installer referred to was the ONLY one in 3, I have had in that was able to properly set up a motorised system, which I have had for over 18 months now. I know quite a bit about satellite tv, I can install, and have installed fixed dish systems but do not have the expertise to attempt a motorised setup. When my motorand dish needed adjustment due to very strong winds, this was done for no extra charge. What has been recounted here is very uncharacteristic of this installer but also it is unfair to name explicitly the individual in a post. In my experience the installer in question always tells it how it is, but does not suffer fools gladly. If you have updated your receiver and lost all the settings, it means there is more than likely nothing wrong with the set up of the hardware, i.e. the motor and the dish. You need to use the USALS option, select a satellite and active transponder and the USALS sofware should re calculate the position of the other satellites on the arc. If you have a receiver handbook, it might be worth reading it.

I can only recommend him highly from my dealings.

he supplied reciever

ok... and it was working when the installer left.The only reason it's not working now is down to yourself.Motorised systems are not for the novice user tbh and it's unfair to hold the installer responsible as it sounds like he did his job correctly.

I'd suggest you read up more on the matter and try and fix it yourself.

• Advertisement

Liam, I can try and help you here, or in the link i provided. I have experience with one of these recievers as i said. I also have a motorised dish . My username is Hooley in the other site. Let me know sure.

ok... and it was working when the installer left.The only reason it's not working now is down to yourself.Motorised systems are not for the novice user tbh and it's unfair to hold the installer responsible as it sounds like he did his job correctly.

i am reading up as much as i can . i was left with a reciever as far as i know was not fully working all i was looking was for some after sales support or help.

Liam, I can try and help you here, or in the link i provided. I have experience with one of these recievers as i said. I also have a motorised dish . My username is Hooley in the other site. Let me know sure.

hi can you help? send me a pm please

should <snip> not have explained how to use it before he took hes money?

should <snip> not have explained how to use it before he took hes money?
    <snip> left me with no idea or no user manual how to troubleshoot, ie how to backup any lost data. I am no idiot i am quite well up on things, the reciever i got was a tm 800HD which is still a work in progress with some functions still not working . You would expect a reciever to be fully working out of the box thats why i am not happy.He installed ok no problems there, just no help!. I had asked him to replace the reciever but no, nothing

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

<snip> left me with no idea or no user manual how to troubleshoot, ie how to backup any lost data. I am no idiot i am quite well up on things, the reciever i got was a tm 800HD which is still a work in progress with some functions still not working . You would expect a reciever to be fully working out of the box thats why i am not happy.He installed ok no problems there, just no help!. I had asked him to replace the reciever but no, nothing

Was the receiver New or Second hand. If it was New there should have been an Instruction manual left with it.

scaller wrote: »
    Was the receiver New or Second hand. If it was New there should have been an Instruction manual left with it.

the reciever was new and no there was no manual for it. any idea where i could get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,756 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

the reciever was new and no there was no manual for it. any idea where i could get one?

I find it strange that a new receiver came in a box with no instruction manual.

Try the Technomate website, they may be able to send you one, or email a pdf version or direct you to link to download it. Whatever chance you had of the installer assisting you before, you have no chance now. As I said previously, I had the exact opposite experience, having had a bad experience with a previous installer. However, I did not resort to bad mouthing him and his company on the boards.

• Advertisement

Galway wrote: »
    I had the exact opposite experience, having had a bad experience with a previous installer. However, I did not resort to bad mouthing him and his company on the boards.

That's the very reason that I've come across as a bit of a d1ck.If the OP had come on for advice without the above mentioned bad mouthing I would have glady given the OP all the advice they required.We still don't know the full facts as <snip> himself has not responded yet and until then I'm keeping out of this.

Galway wrote: »
    Try the Technomate website, they may be able to send you one, or email a pdf version or direct you to link to download it. Whatever chance you had of the installer assisting you before, you have no chance now. As I said previously, I had the exact opposite experience, having had a bad experience with a previous installer. However, I did not resort to bad mouthing him and his company on the boards.
    how long should he have waited for the installer to contact him?its quiet simple really,the op paid for a service,he didnt get it.i dont really think the op is bad mouthing him,hes just telling hes experience of the company.
    this could have been avoided if the installer had given him a call back and offered to have a look at the box for him.maybe the op could have sent it by registered mail to him.it would have saved a lot of bad publicity.
    there has to be some after sales service.if not the op should be looking to see if the the goods provided were fit for service.

The problem with instruction manuals for Linux boxes is that with the different images you can flash to your box, the manuals will probably not correspond with what is on screen. I never opened the manual for my tm500,solomend and vu duo. I got my knowledge from messing with the box and different forums. I love tinkering and learning as I go along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

When I had my motorised dish installed I made it clear to the installer that I had a dreambox. The installer told me that he would get the dish working with a standard receiver but would not guarantee a dreambox would work because of the endlessly configurable nature of the dreambox. Since I had a Comag FTA box it was easy enough to get the actual installation up and running using my Comag and the installer also tested the installation out using a spare Technomate he had in his van.

Bottom line is that Dreamboxes are not for novices and the first thing I would do is test the dish using a cheap FTA box that supports USALS. You should have the USALS longitude and lattitude settings from the installer. Failing that get your real longitude and latitude from Google Maps and adjust the FTA box from there until you get a signal.
    In short, get a standard box working on the motor before you tackle something complex like a dreambox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Liam,

I sent you some instructions via pm a while ago and never got any feedback ...
    also a link to where you can get some further help but again nothing ...

So firstly, the TM800 never came with an instruction manual as the TM was forced out onto the marketplace before it was ready due to some retailers twisting Technomates arm ... and so an instruction manual was never produced. Although as has been mentioned before the setup is very similar for any Enigma2 receiver (DM800, VU Plus etc)

anyway, what your current situation Liam, Do you have an image installed on your box ? and from what date was this image ? some of the early images are not great and one or two of the later ones will work ok for your basic needs. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭slegs

Not commenting on this specific scenario but I would 100% agree that Dreamboxes and open Linux receivers in general are not for novices looking for simple TV viewing. At the least you should be technically minded and adventurous enough to get in and learn and change settings etc.

Linux based receivers are basically open computers with almost unlimited flexibility and possibilities so you have to be prepared to treat your ownership of one as parttime hobby/mosttime TV viewing! This is the strength and also the weakness of open Linux receivers in that the featureset is huge but the potential for bugs and issues is also large. The internet is the manual for Linux receivers as the functionality constantly improves/changes and images are different so its pointless formalising a manual.

They work great when you know how to tweak and manage them but can be infuriating for non techie people who expect them to work out of the box. Also, an installer cannot train someone on all the subtleties of a linux receiver in 30 mins. Its like using Windows on a PC for the first time. There are some basics that can be pointed out to you but you yourself need to play with it over time to figure out the more than the very basic features.

All that said a dish issue will have nothing to do with this so as someone else has said take that out the equation first using a bog standard FTA box to move your dish

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No. it's like using 1998 Red hat Linux on a PC for the first time :)

slegs wrote: »
    Not commenting on this specific scenario but I would 100% agree that Dreamboxes and open Linux receivers in general are not for novices looking for simple TV viewing. At the least you should be technically minded and adventurous enough to get in and learn and change settings etc.

Linux based receivers are basically open computers with almost unlimited flexibility and possibilities so you have to be prepared to treat your ownership of one as parttime hobby/mosttime TV viewing! This is the strength and also the weakness of open Linux receivers in that the featureset is huge but the potential for bugs and issues is also large. The internet is the manual for Linux receivers as the functionality constantly improves/changes and images are different so its pointless formalising a manual.

They work great when you know how to tweak and manage them but can be infuriating for non techie people who expect them to work out of the box. Also, an installer cannot train someone on all the subtleties of a linux receiver in 30 mins. Its like using Windows on a PC for the first time. There are some basics that can be pointed out to you but you yourself need to play with it over time to figure out the more than the very basic features.

All that said a dish issue will have nothing to do with this so as someone else has said take that out the equation first using a bog standard FTA box to move your dish

I think Slegs' post shows how unreasonble it is to blame solely the installer. So there was no handbook with the receiver, in fact no handbooks with any,... thats Technomate's fault. I have a TM600 and to be honest the handbook, as most TM handbooks, is pretty useless overall. I learnt more by exploring the receiver's functions myself. If the dish cant be moved connect it to a non linux STB that has Diseqc as most now do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Out of all the Linux recievers the TM's are possibly not the best ones for support at the moment as the big boys of Linux are taking all the limelight, namely, Dreambox and VU+. Personally if you were looking to get into Linux, i would have got a cheap Dreambox500s to start with and found your feet. I for one have been in this game since the early 90's and am just into Linux now (Namely a DM500s) and im not fully up to speed with it. As far as I can see from other forums the TM800 is lacking in support big time compared to the big 2 names in Linux, which is a shame as Technomate is a fantastic brand that has done the satellite industry a world of good.

I supposse at the end of the day its what you want to do with the box, but possiblt to have got you started i'd gone the normal DVBS2 satellite reciever route 1st, found your feet and moved up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

I've only ever had Linux satellite boxes and would say they are very much hobbyist boxes, if you just want plug and play then its not for the average user.

TM Linux do not have the major support of some of the image makers eg Gemini,Nabilo,PLi etc but there are teams out there supporting TM linux if you look close enough :)

I know that there are a couple of teams that are chomping at the bit to provide firmware for the TM800 once the source has been released ... this had been promised for October ..but alas still waiting.

The TM800 chipset means that alot of porting of software is having to be performed whilst utilising the PLi sourcecode, whereas with DM and VU Duo etc the source can be used pretty much from scratch with the right makefile.

So by TM taking the cheaper chipset has it caused a problem ... yes but the chipset does allow the box to do alot more than a DM or VU DUO ... but the full capability of the chipset will not be seen for a good while if it all ... so may not have been the best move.

Anyway TM have said they will refund anyone who are not happy with the box .... thats pretty good customer service (although they did sell a box that couldn't do half the stuff they advertised) ...

Advertisement