Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

machine head problem i think

• 19-12-2004 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,555 ✭✭✭✭

right i bought a nice crafter acoustic just to mess around with and after getting my les paul i was low on funds.

but last night i notice if i play abit hard on the strings i get a hum that seems to come from the machine heads. (i broke E string last night) just wondering is this usual as i think the hum only started after breaking the string.

also a off topic question but what are them screws inside the machine heads for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭-=al=-

it may be ur action and its causig fret buzz, Or the Nut, i doubt its the machine head.... Higher ur action is it the low or high e u broke??

1. Raise the action
    2. use a ligher string gauge
    3. replace/higher the nut

any of those might solve it...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,555 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

-=al=- wrote:
    it may be ur action and its causig fret buzz, Or the Nut, i doubt its the machine head.... Higher ur action is it the low or high e u broke??

1. Raise the action
    2. use a ligher string gauge
    3. replace/higher the nut

any of those might solve it...
    sorry should of mentioned it was the high E string.

what you mean by raise the action?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Did ya replace it with the same guage that was on it ?

i don't know cos i didn't have any high E strings to replace it with,

it's buzzing when i have five strings on the guitar, no guitar shop near me is open on a sunday so i couldn't get any strings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Does it buzz if you hold high e machine head post? It's just that it is a bit loose and has no tension on it. Stick a string on there and there won't be anything to vibrate.

• Advertisement

rob1891 wrote:
    Does it buzz if you hold high e machine head post? It's just that it is a bit loose and has no tension on it. Stick a string on there and there won't be anything to vibrate.
    that's what i think it is, but i can't get strings until tomorrow :(

it doesn't viberate when i hold i think, i can't really try now as my parents are sleeping in the next room.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭-=al=-

the action is just how close the strings are to the fretboard.... But can u make any adjustments to the Machine head? u cud replace it, or if anything i mentioned helps...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

chances are it'll be fine when you get a full set of strings on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

There is nothing keeping the high E machine head under tension, hence the rattle. Get a new string, problem solved.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Or check if there's a little screw on the side of the machine head (holding the knob on). If that's a little loose, a quick tighten should work. Not too tight mind, just tight enough to take out any slack.

• Advertisement

thanks all for your replies it's really **** when you break a string and you've no spares so you gotta wait til the shop is open to buy strings

Advertisement