Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Disability Allowance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Jasssss

That does not sound right I would get on to the Disability allowance section straight away.But the fact that your wife never transferred over to Maternity would make you wonder why there would be any change.Maybe its a banking issue but best to get onto in straight away.While I'm on does anyone know how long the appeal process is now .Has anyone appealed lately and if so how long did it take.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

We found out that they apparently called to our house twice. They never left anything in the letterbox or sent anything by mail. We were not there when they called, my wife spends alot of time down in her parents during the day as she gets alot of help with our small fella off them especially coming to the end of her pregnancy! So, because we were not there, this guy decided to pull the plug on her payments :confused:

She asked the guy on the phone about this and he said that should not have been done but would need to get in contact with the officer or something along those lines and would get back to this but wasn't sure when, told her to go to the clinic in the meantime, Can they do this? This seems absolutely crazy to me :mad:

Tony who called to the door,was it a social welfare inspector that they are talking about if so they must be checking up on something.As far as i know they are only sent out when something is a miss.Now I do stand to be corrected on this.I would get back on the phone and find out who exactly called to your door their name and the reasons behind doing so,if i was not able to get a number of this person i would leave a number for them to contact me on.They have every right to call out when they want Tony and there is nothing you can do about it but it would be the reason behind it that i would be worried about.They where probably expecting your wife to be at home on the two occasions when they called and because they had no way of verifying this they had no option but to suspend the allowance.

We have no worries about them calling as we aren't scamming the system or anything like that, I thought it was strange they called but have not found out why yet. What I think is crazy is the fact there was no letter sent out to let us know they tried to call and they are able to suspend payment without any notification. My wife is actually entitled to work 19.5 hours a week with the allowance so could easily have been out when he called, surely they have a system in place to send a letter out, if not, that is just madness!!

Tony,I know that they arrive just out of the blue and don't have to give any notice .I would have assumed that your wife should of been informed that her allowance was been stopped.That in itself is wrong .I would definitley get back on to them.

• Advertisement

Right, can someone please explain the Disability Allowance to me.The Criteria is as Follows'The Person should be substantially restricted in undertaking work that would otherwise be suited to a person of the same age or experience and The condition is expected to last longer then a year.Now I sent letters from the Hospital and my GP.These Doctors used the exact words in the Criteria to ensure my son was allowed the Allowance and now I'm at the appeal process because my child was refused.Can anyone looking at this please explain why if my child meets the criteria has someone in longford decided to refuse him.Surely there is something wrong here.Where can I go? Who can i turn to ?.Do I just wait and see what happens at this appeal and to be honest there is a huge amount of very sensitive information in this file that is now on the way to Dublin.Is there any way as his mother that I can ensure that his information wont be shared by any joe soap.Sorry for the rant but I am extremely stressed.

Have you spoken with a local TD? It might help or they could guide you in the right direction to sort this out for you.

Tony I spoke with one a couple of weeks ago and he said he would look into it.I did not hear anything back so decided to ring him today,he apologised and said he was caught up with the budget etc but would check it out next week.I am going to see another one on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭livemusic4life

Had a review assessment on the first, Wednesday zero cash in my account. Apparently I'm under review again. So they just stop my money when they feel like it :( its not bad enough that I'm in constant pain and can't go back to work on drs orders but now I'm skint too! What i feel for this government would get me banned if i said it on here!

livemusic4life,just seen your post.Have you got your payment back yet. I really hope so with Christmas around the corner and all.Tony 1980 ,how did your wife get on.

• Advertisement

Jasssss wrote: »
    livemusic4life,just seen your post.Have you got your payment back yet. I really hope so with Christmas around the corner and all.Tony 1980 ,how did your wife get on.

Yes, thankfully, got my payment back on friday. that was only after annoying the crap out of them all week.

No news yet, she went into labour on Thursday and had a baby girl so I have been up the walls since, could really do with finding out something soon as my money is running very low!

Right, can someone please explain the Disability Allowance to me.The Criteria is as Follows'The Person should be substantially restricted in undertaking work that would otherwise be suited to a person of the same age or experience and The condition is expected to last longer then a year.Now I sent letters from the Hospital and my GP.These Doctors used the exact words in the Criteria to ensure my son was allowed the Allowance and now I'm at the appeal process because my child was refused.Can anyone looking at this please explain why if my child meets the criteria has someone in longford decided to refuse him.Surely there is something wrong here.Where can I go? Who can i turn to ?.Do I just wait and see what happens at this appeal and to be honest there is a huge amount of very sensitive information in this file that is now on the way to Dublin.Is there any way as his mother that I can ensure that his information wont be shared by any joe soap.Sorry for the rant but I am extremely stressed.

yes, as long as those words are used. The information is confidential but you do sign a declaration to give permission for the information to be viewed. By whom, i don't know but that would be interesting to find out. If money is an issue then i could guess that you can unofficially ask to submit more information.

i just got lucky as i was having an assessment for occupational injuries after i applied for the review and begged for them to assess me for disability at the same time to cut down waste in the welfare system. I pushed for it but i was lucky with timing

Livemusic4life, I am so glad that you got sorted and Tony I hope your wife is sorted sooner rather then later. Livemusic4life,
    I did not take the decision to apply for Disability Allowance Lightly,it was never a case of just because my son had a Disability that 'oh' I'll apply for this for him.It was solely because of the fact of how much his Disability has affected him up to now.He is going on 16 and has never been able to mix with the other kids on the road,they thought of him as a freak,he has struggled in just about every area of his life.What parent wants their child to claim Disability Allowance at 16 years old unless its a necessity.I would love my son to be out playing,going to movies and doing the things that I see the other lads in the area doing but he cant.It is not fair that any parent of a child with special needs should have to go through this.I understand that money is tight in the country at the moment but why if he meets the criteria should he be treated this way.I know your only too aware because you have been down the whole route of Disability but its not fair.But sure Il have to sit tight and wait for the Appeal process to take its course but thank you for all your help its people like you on the forum that keeps people like me going.

Jasss, i hope i didn't give the impression that your son wasn't deserving, because i certainly didn't mean anything i said to come across like that. Very few people (hopefully) apply for disability who don't deserve it. I do honestly think that they have an unofficial blanket refusal policy, regardless of whats said.

I'd much rather be back at work earning a proper living again and having money to socialize, but like many others I've had to beg for a stupid few euro to keep my head above water. No one would be bothered by the hassle of it all if it wasn't sorely needed. You stick to your guns with your boy. He's a lucky lad to have a mum willing to fight for him. Keep your chin up. Everyone is here to support each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 corkion

can anyone tell me the curennt wating time for disabilty alowance
    i apply in agust 2013 still no reply from them thanks

hi livemusic4life its like begging for a few bob i worked all my life and now have a displaced lower back disc
    was refused invality

corkion wrote: »
    hi livemusic4life its like begging for a few bob i worked all my life and now have a displaced lower back disc
    was refused invality

i think the current wait time is about 6 months, although if you phone the dept they should be able to tell you. Appeal wait time is 18 months. Its a grim situation. As i said several times, the words "unfit for work for at least 12 months" MUST be used. My advice is to just keep hassling them. Let us know how you get on.

if you don't mind me asking, why were you turned down for invalidity? Did you appeal?

Ah god no Livemusic4life I know that post looks as though I am making some sort of point to you I should have worded it differently.What I was trying to say was I just feel like a beggar.Its a horrible way to feel,When You have worked all your life and are then put into a situation that you really would prefer not to be in.I know exactly what you are saying,who in their right mind wants to be depending on this money.I am sorry again for the way that last post came across.

they turned me down on the grounds i was not incapable of work for life .yes i appeal it
    the appeal was disallowed

• Advertisement

corkion wrote: »
    they turned me down on the grounds i was not incapable of work for life .yes i appeal it
    the appeal was disallowed

so sorry to hear that. This country is a joke

corkian, I was only waiting about 8-9 weeks to hear back from Disability Allowance for my son.Do you mind me asking how long your appeal took.

hi jasssss, 8 weeks the appeal took.did ur son get heis disabilty alowance?

In march last year i applied, i phoned to ask a question and the machine said waiting time was 19 weeks. Some tell me its more now, some tell me its less. Best advice i can give is to give them a call :)

Thanks folks ,Corkian no He was refused Disability and now we are appealing the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭timmybob13

Oh lads, I'm scared now.......... I'm on disability myself, and I found this forum after I went to my online banking account and seen that my money hasnt come in!!!!!! Its noticeable because I have next to nothing in my account!!!!
    I thought this forum would be old, but seeing as it was just last month, I'm petrified!
    I live away from home, home is very unstable and can't go back, the accommodation Im currently in is going up for sale (Im renting), and Ive been panicking about saving up a deposit and first months rent for another place while I still have to pay the rent and bills til then on this place!!

So how can they do this to people, especially so close to Christmas, without warning??!?!
    I got no letter, no calls..........and as far as I know, nobodies called to the house!!
    Im terrified!! If my welfare is gone, then I'm in a panic to find work, Id have to find it this week, because otherwise I cant afford the rent and I'm out on my ass with no where to go!!
    Its really sick that they are doing this now....... Has anybody heard back from the social welfare regarding their situation??????

timmybob13 wrote: »
    Oh lads, I'm scared now.......... I'm on disability myself, and I found this forum after I went to my online banking account and seen that my money hasnt come in!!!!!! Its noticeable because I have next to nothing in my account!!!!
    I thought this forum would be old, but seeing as it was just last month, I'm petrified!
    I live away from home, home is very unstable and can't go back, the accommodation Im currently in is going up for sale (Im renting), and Ive been panicking about saving up a deposit and first months rent for another place while I still have to pay the rent and bills til then on this place!!

So how can they do this to people, especially so close to Christmas, without warning??!?!
    I got no letter, no calls..........and as far as I know, nobodies called to the house!!
    Im terrified!! If my welfare is gone, then I'm in a panic to find work, Id have to find it this week, because otherwise I cant afford the rent and I'm out on my ass with no where to go!!
    Its really sick that they are doing this now....... Has anybody heard back from the social welfare regarding their situation??????

Hi Timmybob,

I'm just guessing here, Ulsterbank are the bank that the social welfare deal with to transfer social welfare to peoples accounts BUT ulsterbank have had computer issues for the last few days with people having problems with their account, accessing funds and so on.

I've just checked and the ulsterbank website says that all issues are now resolved. You should be paid tomorrow. If not, phone the social welfare up. Tell them you're stuck for cash. Pop into your bank. And maybe the community welfare officer.

Yes Livemusic4life is right there was a problem with some banks alright so hopefully that will be the case.Well i'm still waiting with my appeal but does anyone know roughly how long the appeals are taking.I am sick ringing them and all I'm been told is its in a queue.

Yes Livemusic4life is right there was a problem with some banks alright so hopefully that will be the case.Well i'm still waiting with my appeal but does anyone know roughly how long the appeals are taking.I am sick ringing them and all I'm been told is its in a queue.

how long have you been waiting now Jasss? Is there not someone who can phone on your behalf? A td or someone? I know i got lucky with SF, not my political cup of tea but they got the job done. It must all feel like clutching at straws now, but you're nearly there.

• Advertisement

Hi Livemusic4life,I made the Application for Disability in May of this year and as you know it was refused.Its with appeal 3 months now but thats only because i asked to speak to a supervisor in longford and basically nagged him to send my sons files to the appeals office in Dublin.But I rang the appeals office and they told me that from looking at my sons appeal no there was 24,000 appeals of all sorts before him.They also said if Im stuck for money to take my Autistic son down to a welfare officer in the meantime and he/she may be able to help.I am sick to the pitt of my stomach.I did contact several TD'S in the area but they are been told the same as myself and that is that his Appeal is in a Queue.I even contacted the Ministers Office and they said they would look into it but at the end of the day he is just another number in the long Queue of people in the same situation.

Advertisement