Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running the red line

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

....well to continue that thought, it wasn't a cold winter after all. But the power of that negative thought prevailed and I didn't run in the last 3 months anyway. Went out this evening and did 3.73k, 22'52".

I started reading Time Warrior last night - its about curing procrastination amongst other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

....well to continue that thought, it wasn't a cold winter after all. But the power of that negative thought prevailed and I didn't run in the last 3 months anyway. Went out this evening and did 3.73k, 22'52".

I started reading Time Warrior last night - its about curing procrastination amongst other things.

welcome back :)

that book seems interesting, i might try get around to read it myself......someday!

5k, 30 min.
    Legs were a bit sore all week. It will take a few more runs to feel comfortable again and to get the pace and distance up.

5k, 30'39".
    Yikes. Several small micro-walking-breaks. Legs and breathing weren't great.

Ankle is quite swollen and sore. I've been limping around all day like Dinny from Glenroe.

• Advertisement

That sprained ankle in February had me limping for a week, and I haven't run since, except for a couple of 10 minute efforts on the treadmill lately. (I've joined the gym in Parkwest 3 weeks ago.)

Signed up today for the Donadea 10k on October 13th, to give myself something to aim for over the next 2 months. If it stops bucketing down outside I might start tonight.

Edit:
    2km, 12'32". Legs were ok but breathing was quite uncomfortable for the last 500 metres.

2k on the treadmill, 12'51". The treadmill can be very uncomfortable after about 10 minutes - I wonder if its static buildup that causes it - maybe I need to ground myself with the handrail.

The gym routine I've been given is quite good - its a circuit of about 8 machines, repeated 3 times. It only takes an hour because there's no need to rest between sets, because the same muscle group isn't used twice in a row.

2.2k, 14'05".

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Evening Lionel! Good log... appreciated by this similarly tall dude shuffling through the streets at a snail's pace (not that you are any more! :)) Keep it up and good luck with the 10k in October.

Thanks Dave. I'm glad I've kept this log, because I can look back at the progress I made in August and September last year and I know it doesn't matter too much that I'm back at square 1. It shouldn't take too long I hope before I'm back up to speed again.

Gym last night. 3k tonight, 19'13".

• Advertisement

Gym this evening, including 3k on treadmill, 19'10". Last night and tonight felt much easier than earlier in the week.

4k, 26'06". Was keeping the pace quite slow for most of it so that I could do a full 4k without struggling. I'll save the struggling for a week or two.

Gym last night (Monday).

5k tonight, 33'33".

The pace that I can comfortably sustain is definintely a good bit slower than 12 months ago.

Got a letter in the door for the Simon Fun Run in the Phoenix Park on October 6th - 5 miles this year - last year it was 5k, due to roadworks I think.

I was just thinking the other day that if I want to get benefit from the gym in particular and the jogging as well then I have to make sure I'm getting enought cardbohydrate, & protein etc., so I started logging my food intake on www.fitday.com.

On Sunday and Monday I ate what I normally eat, and it was only 1800 calories, so I ate a bit more before bed each night to bring it up to 2200 or so, even though I wasn't that hungry. I can't understand how I've been getting by on so little and yet maintaining the same weight for the last 2 years (87kg; 14 stone in old money). I'm 6 foot 5, so I would have thought that eating under 2000 calories is a big deficit for me. On the other hand, it might explain why I sometimes don't get out of bed on the weekend. So today I've been snacking on cereal bars, and had a couple of extra things to eat at various times and took in 3500 calories. I'll have to find a happy medium at around 2800 to 3000 calories and see how it feels.

Gym last night, 5k tonight, 33'23".

Gym Friday, rest yesterday, 5.35km today, 34'48".
    Took a different route and included Griffith Park in Drumcondra to see what its like - its a nice spot.

Ah, over in my neck of the woods I see! If you're around again drop me a PM and I might see you there!

Maybe we've crossed paths, Dave! All my runs start and end in Mountjoy Square. Can you still get Boards.ie running vests, I wonder? It would be good to be able to spot other boardsies out and about.

Tonight was a 6k loop via a street I was never on before called Philipsburgh Avenue, and Griffith Avenue, 38'51". It felt better than the recent runs and the downhill stretch from Griffith Avenue to the Tolka is compensation for the uphill bit on the way out.

I'm happy enough to see that my speed is creeping up on the last 4 runs; 8.9kph, 9.0kph, 9.2kph, 9.3kph. I'd like to keep increasing the distance and be running at 10kph in a month's time.

Gym last night; 6k tonight, 38'00". First run after dark this year. Am listening to BBC4's Ulysses podcasts on my iPod. It makes me want to tackle the book again.

6.5k, 41'09".
    Running in the afternoon is definitely tougher than the evening. Today was a loop that included some of Drumcondra Rd, Griffith Avenue, St Mobhi Rd, and back to Mountjoy Square by the canal. There are a good few inclines. I'm tired - just out of the shower now and have to resist the temptation to lie down on the bed or I won't get up again.

6.5k, 41'20". Same route as yesterday. I don't normally run 2 days in a row but I forgot to pack a towel in my gym bag, so the gym didn't happen this evening. The plan is to use the gym tomorrow and Wednesday and do 7k on Thursday night.

• Advertisement

7k, 46'54".
    Really slow going. I had lunch at midday, an apple at 4pm, and then ran at 8.30pm. Won't be making that mistake again. My legs were tired after 5 minutes.

9k, 57'40".
    Along the canal to St Mobhi Road and downhill to the Tolka, and a 1.5k uphill to Collins Avenue. Then along Collins Avenue and down again to the Tolka and Fagan's pub; no sign of Bertie; and a bit of uphill to get me back home to Mountjoy Square. The paths around Drumcondra, Fairview, and so on are great for jogging - there is hardly ever any need to wait at a junction.

I took a load of carbohydrate powder about 1 hour before - don't know if it really sustained me or if I really needed it.

You're flying :)

You sometimes have to wait a few seconds if running on Griffith Ave and wanting to cross Mobhi Rd or Drumcondra Rd, but you never have to stand still for too long... d'oh! :D

Must run a few km with you in September... not sure I'd stretch to 9 tho! :)

10k, 1h03'41".
    My motivation disappeared last week, so I've only been in the gym once in the last 2 weeks, and this was the first run in over 10 days. Have to be careful here that I don't lapse, or I'll be starting from scratch again in 6 months for the fifth time or whatever.

5k, 29'24".

5k, 30'00". Thinking about the Rathfarnham 5k on Sunday morning. Good possibility that I'll feel differently when the alarm clock goes off though.

4.8km, 28'24". Couldn't get any further because the Croke Park crowd was earlier than I expected. I can feel a couple of niggles in my legs that I think is because of pushing the pace in the last week.

Donadea forest 10k yesterday, 1 hour 3 minutes, 6 minutes slower than last year.

I've had an annoying ache in my left foot since about 4 days after my last run in September, so I didn't run at all before yesterday, just to give it the maximum amount of time to heal. By about halfway through the run, it felt ok, except for a few occasional little stabs of pain from the uneven surface. My legs felt very heavy during the race and are sore today, either through lack of preparation or maybe because I'm favouring the left foot and putting strain elsewhere. I was having a hard enough job getting motivated before the foot pain so this might be it for a couple of months.

Next year I want to do the same race in 50 minutes.

So that 10k was 18 months ago, and I didn't even try and jog for a few months after, but the sharp pain in my big toe wasn't completely fixed. Then in May I went hillwalking in Scotland and totally overdid it, dehydrated and shattered by the end of the day. Two days later I had excruciating pain in my left big toe. Long story short it turned out to be gout, but I've been on a daily tablet since last summer and haven't had an attack in a good few months.

Did 15 minutes of "walk 2 minutes jog 3 minutes" this morning. Felt fairly uncomfortable in places. Hopefully won't be too long before I make some progress.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Welcome back and good luck! I'll be following with interest!

Advertisement