Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Haven't touched a drop in...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Just over 9 years for me. In the end I was drinking on my own mid-week and missed a lot of work. In the last stages I had a couple of rock bottom incidents (Got done for drink driving, got sent home from a group holiday for being out of control) I more or less shamed myself into quitting. I'm so so glad that that pernicious influence has gone from my life. I'm happy to say that I no longer know the price of a pint, nor do I care. Christmas is fine as I normally spend it with family and they saw some of the worst of me in drink and are totally supportive. I was hanging around an old friend who is in active addiction out of a missed placed sense of loyalty but I've stopped doing that now as I simply can't bear to be around someone who has no intention of quitting destroying himself anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭E.S.T.

I drank heavily pretty much daily for a few years and have been off alcohol 160 days tonight. It feels weird because this is normally the night that I would be planning to get sober in the in the new year before failing within a few days. I really have no desire to drink and even over Christmas I was happy to to be awake early and not have a sore head. I now work out pretty much every day and have lost 2 1/2 stone and my anxiety has really decreased. The Allen Carr book I seen talked about on here helped when I first quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

exactly 5 years today. although i did have a mouthfull of fosters last week..choked on some popcorn chicken while watching a darts match in the local!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Exactly six years ago, nearly to to minute, I had my last mouthful of alcohol. Have achieved a lot in that time, that I never would have been able to do if I continued drinking.

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

Wattle wrote: »
    Just over 9 years for me. In the end I was drinking on my own mid-week and missed a lot of work. In the last stages I had a couple of rock bottom incidents (Got done for drink driving, got sent home from a group holiday for being out of control) I more or less shamed myself into quitting. I'm so so glad that that pernicious influence has gone from my life. I'm happy to say that I no longer know the price of a pint, nor do I care. Christmas is fine as I normally spend it with family and they saw some of the worst of me in drink and are totally supportive. I was hanging around an old friend who is in active addiction out of a missed placed sense of loyalty but I've stopped doing that now as I simply can't bear to be around someone who has no intention of quitting destroying himself anytime soon.

Fair play, i know how u feel (i'm not as far down the road as you) but this would have been a new start for me!............but never came.

I'm sober now and a happy man.

Happy sober new year to all, if i can, anyone can. best of luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

3 years tomorrow! I'm very bloody proud to say I'm a 28 year old and a non drinker in Ireland. The best decision I ever made was to give it up. I love soberity :D

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Fantastic, well done Wingman2010. It's so great to see people so proud of being teetotal when most of the time we have to keep it quiet or drinkers think we are preaching or smug or just plain weird (in my experience in any case).

So hats off to all who manage to remain teetotal in this country and have a great sober 2013 everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

...17 days. Doesn't sound like a lot perhaps, but given that I've been through Christmas and New Years it feels longer :)... not that I am missing the hangover headaches, nausea, lethargy, eating like a pig etc. etc. Not one bit. Went out to the pub with a few mates for a few hours last night and drove home a happy man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Athena86

105 days (15 weeks) and counting, I was told I had to abstain from alcohol for at least 6 months so im over half way however while I do miss drink I really think when my 26th week comes I wont want to drink and that Ill want to go a full year...only time will tell I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 buzzz88

Hi all,

It's been 164 days for me. The worst part so far for me was a couple of months into my sobriety - the effects of the last session I had had more-or-less wore off and I was starting to think "maybe I can just have one or two" again. However I realised that I had tried that and failed miserably at it for too long, that it was not worth the torture battling to stop at that first or second drink.

I made up my mind to go tee-total for good and my life is all the better for it! It is, for me, much easier to abstain outright and not need to "hmm" and "haw" over a second drink.

I find it frustrating being a 24-year old in this country who doesn't drink - it does seem to alarm and, for whatever reason, even make some others who do drink uncomfortable, but hopefully that attitude will change soon.

And I have to say, it's forums like this that remind me that I'm not alone. Although I don't post often, I read them quite often, and thank you to all who contribute! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭JonBon27

311 days, looking forward to the 1yr celebration!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

You lads/ladies are deadly!

I've given it up now after Christmas & New Years for the rest of the year. I need to get in shape and fit into a suit I own by August. Great incentive! I can see by the time that comes I won't want to drink at all as I'll have been off it for ages. That's the plan anyway. Off it a week and feeling young and fresh. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

9 months today

It feels great to look back at how much has changed in my life, how much more positive and up-beat I am in general. I love how free I feel with not drinking, can hop in the car whenever I want - i have become a lot more reliable with my commitments and wake up every morning with a clear head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Four years today, and for me the best decision I have made,One all round happy living person here,thanks all for the support :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

6 years and 3.5 months for me..... would say that alcohol had never suited me. Was mouthy with it, so made the decision on the 28th august 2006 to quit it and have never touched a drop since.....

And I have never missed it either.... Gave up the fags a year before as well....

Everyone can fio it... Its just a case of mind over matter ;)

15 months now, like you all a much happier content person. Not to mention about 100 times more useful ha :D . 2nd Christmas went by in a flash not even the thought of a drink entered my head and that's a long way from a week of a total blackout since my teens.

Another thing that sobriety has given me is I was 107KG(just under 17 stone) when I gave up in Oct2011. Through an improved diet, no drinking and a good/strict exercising schedule I'm a happy 80KGs which is nearly a 4 stone loss. The change of my frame of mind in exercising, sports, work & other aspects of my life has totally changed. I would have had a lot of self doubt, laziness and self pity during my boozing but since getting sober they are rarely a factor. Whenever they do pop up I just push through them and say to myself if it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you.

As I've said before it doesn't matter what age you are, if you feel you have a drinking problem or if you just want to give up it is possible. I couldn't go a few days without getting out of my mind at the end of my drinking, now I don't even think about it. It's just not an answers for any problem that I come across. So if I can do it at 25 years of age(now 26) anyone can. Good luck all

That's fantastic, KaG, and thanks for sharing with everyone. Who knows who you might help with your positive example. And well done on the weight loss too. It sounds like your whole life has been transformed. Or rather, YOU have transformed your whole life.

Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Is it ever to late or to much damage been done to give it up? Sometimes it does feel like that.

Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    Is it ever to late or to much damage been done to give it up? Sometimes it does feel like that.

Its never to late ,Go for it you be amazed in the change in your mind and body in no time.

buzzz88 wrote: »
    Hi all,

It's been 164 days for me. The worst part so far for me was a couple of months into my sobriety - the effects of the last session I had had more-or-less wore off and I was starting to think "maybe I can just have one or two" again. However I realised that I had tried that and failed miserably at it for too long, that it was not worth the torture battling to stop at that first or second drink.

I made up my mind to go tee-total for good and my life is all the better for it! It is, for me, much easier to abstain outright and not need to "hmm" and "haw" over a second drink.

I find it frustrating being a 24-year old in this country who doesn't drink - it does seem to alarm and, for whatever reason, even make some others who do drink uncomfortable, but hopefully that attitude will change soon.

And I have to say, it's forums like this that remind me that I'm not alone. Although I don't post often, I read them quite often, and thank you to all who contribute! :)

Well done, I was a similar age when I gave it up and I'm 3 years off drink now. I'm so proud to say I'm 28 and don't drink! My life has only started the last three years. Keep up the good work :-)

• Advertisement

realies wrote: »
    Four years today, and for me the best decision I have made,One all round happy living person here,thanks all for the support :-)

well done realise. That's brilliant!

Tom_Cruise wrote: »

No, it's never too late to discover the real you, clear from under the confusing and depressing veil of booze. Family and friends learn to respect and trust you again. And even your body forgives you - it is an amazing thing - it heals itself, even the memory and cognitive processes improve over time as you rid yourself of the poison from your system.

And, if you are of the nervous variety and think you can't live without it, studies have shown that consuming alcohol on a regular basis actually increases anxiety and when you quit completely, after a relatively short period of adjustment, your anxiety levels reduce substantially. Alchohol is a depressant too so when you quit, your mood improves also.

Too late? You'll wish you did it earlier ...

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KDII

5 months today.

I'm a pretty anxious person too. While my anxiety levels generally have improved, I often find it harder to switch off. I miss sitting down with a bottle of wine and kind of switching off for the night..accepting there was nothing I could do about something until the next day and having that feeling of down time. I know I need to fill this time with something else.. at the moment I'm pretty obsessed with finding masters courses and applying for them and I know once I kind of know my plans for the next while it will be easier to commit to new hobbies etc.

I think what tipped my drinking into something I couldn't manage was shift work. I went through a phase of working until midnight most nights a week last year. I would come home, make dinner, pour some wine and it felt justified and normal. It was "my dinner time". Also working most days then clocking off on a Tuesday or something for a few days is lonely and you end up drinking alone and it was so unhealthy.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

KDII wrote: »
    5 months today.

I miss sitting down with a bottle of wine and kind of switching off for the night..accepting there was nothing I could do about something until the next day and having that feeling of down time.

Fair play to you KDII..

Might not be of interest to you but, I find herbal teas fantastic for relaxing your body and mind.. there are some great concoctions to be got in the Health Shops.. I find Chamomile and Valerian tea a great combo.. something to 'cap' the day, so to speak.. I sleep great after it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KDII

Valerian tea! Will give it a go definitely. Cheers.

KDII wrote: »
    5 months today.

I'm a pretty anxious person too. While my anxiety levels generally have improved, I often find it harder to switch off. I miss sitting down with a bottle of wine and kind of switching off for the night..accepting there was nothing I could do about something until the next day and having that feeling of down time. I know I need to fill this time with something else.. at the moment I'm pretty obsessed with finding masters courses and applying for them and I know once I kind of know my plans for the next while it will be easier to commit to new hobbies etc.

I think what tipped my drinking into something I couldn't manage was shift work. I went through a phase of working until midnight most nights a week last year. I would come home, make dinner, pour some wine and it felt justified and normal. It was "my dinner time". Also working most days then clocking off on a Tuesday or something for a few days is lonely and you end up drinking alone and it was so unhealthy.

Well done, as xzanti said Herbal teas are actually great my room mate introduced me to a few fancier ones recently and I never drank them during my boozing. Don't know the brand but it was €20 for a small little container of green tea but it's great stuff. Helps works the metabolism among other things.

On the hobby thing don't worry once you're doing things for the right reasons everything falls into place well that is my experience anyway. Good luck

Where do you buy your herbal teas ? thanks.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

realies wrote: »
    Where do you buy your herbal teas ? thanks.

Believe it or not I'm a big fan of Aldi's Chamomile tea.. it's strongest of all the brands I've tried.. and I buy Dr. Stuart's Valerian tea bags in Holland & Barrett, quite cheap.. get a box of 15 for €2.75.

There's also one called Yogi Bedtime Tea, it's got Chamomile, Fennel and Valerian Root in it.. although that one seems to give me a headache :/ might be fine for others though.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭libnation

9 months (well before midnight it was exactly 9 months). Don't miss it at all. Christmas was annoying however (non family parts). January is fun because people want to do sober stuff. Ha.

• Advertisement

libnation wrote: »
    9 months (well before midnight it was exactly 9 months). Don't miss it at all. Christmas was annoying however (non family parts). January is fun because people want to do sober stuff. Ha.

Indeed, January is crazy . my gym's carpark is literally twice as full on a week night now!

Well done on the 9 months and getting by Xmas.

That green tea is called matcha it's Japanese, really good stuff

Advertisement