Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ecigmaster deal

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the main problem with the cigarette looking models is how **** the batteries are, you'll have to recharge it several times a day most likely if you use it any way regularly

15 euro for 45 cartridges though *shrug*
    no harm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The RRP is definitely a load of bollocks, but 15 doesn't seem too bad. As Sir Digby says, you'll be charging it non-stop. But if you wanted something a bit more discreet for the pub, it could be a good option.

I wouldn't be buying replacement cartridges at anywhere near that RRP though - so it could be pretty much a disposable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just bought one of these. I'm guessing the kit is way overvalued but for 15euro i thought i'd give it ago. Did i just waste 15euro?:o

http://www.livingsocial.com/ireland/cities/515-galway/deals/423556-electronic-cigarette-starter-pack-with-cartridges

Doubt you wasted €15, at least you want to try something to get off the smokes.
    A lot of people see the initial cost of setting up as a no no and walk away without trying.
    Hopefully it will help you get off the smokes or significantly reduce what your smoking at the moment per day.

Then you can get yourself setup with a decent kit with a fair idea and hope that it will work more effectively.

For what you paid for, give it a good go even it drives you mad regularly charging etc then come back and see what to get in future as there is far better choices available now to choose.
    So much i wouldn't know where to start.
    Am happy with what i use now and will continue to use the same atomiser for as long as necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Cool, thanks for the replies. Can a spare battery be bought for these so i could possibly make it last the day or is it not worth it? I guess if i get some use out of it and like it, i'll upgrade to a proper one. Not really that bothered about the whole lookalike ecig.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

it depends on the device you get. A lot of them are interchangeable so you can mix & match the different parts. The pre-filled cartridges aren't great in my experience.

It won't cost you a lot to get up and running with a decent device though. I just checked one Irish site and you'll get the following delivered for 35:

2 x Manual BATTERY for JOYE510
    2 x 510 XXL Empty Cartomiser
    USB Charger(with cord) for JOYE510
    Ceramic drip tip for 510/901
    10ml eLiquid PG

I'm sure there are better combinations out there, but that's just off the top of my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Tricky_Dicky

I got this deal too ... I went for the double pack ... 2 x e-cigs & cartridges ... it arrived last week whilst I was away and I am using it right now :D

Initially I had some problems with the deal from Living Social (Looking on Boards.ie it appears that this is not unusual :( ) I got the 'double' deal "For two to share" except it wasn't 'double' it was 2 of the e-cigarettes and 1 set of cartridges ... also when I first tried to get the deal I couldn't make a choice of flavour / strength for the cartridges :mad: I wrote to Living Social to complain and the deal was fixed a week or so later and soon after that they wrote to me asking to follow up on the problem. The two issues combined kind of soured the deal a little and the delay meant that I didn't have the e-cig for my trip which was the point really ...

Now for the product:
    Well I opened up my parcel and found the 4 packs of cartridges and 2 cigarette packs ... in each cigarette pack there was a USB adaptor, a battery unit (the main body of the cigarette), a heater unit and 5 cartridges ... This gave me 50 cartridges in all so I felt slightly better ;)

The cigarette body is quite heavy compared to a normal cigarette and fairly plastic looking at the tip (the glowing part) but once all the pieces are assembled it is quite robust so you can just stick it the pocket of your jeans and not worry that it's going to break.

They say that the battery is good for 300 puffs and that the cartridges are good for 200 puffs and that equals 15 cigs from 1 cartridge but I guess the math will vary here according to how you smoke (I always smoke deep and slow and right down to the tip)

The smoking experience isn''t exactly the same as smoking a normal cigarette, it's similar to when you're trying to smoke a cigarette that has a hole or tear in the paper near to the filter (we've all done it, trying to hold it together with our finger over the gap :o ) I have looked for an ashtray to rest it on but I haven't flicked it or tried to light it (yet) ... The best thing about smoking this thing is that you aren't thinking about the cost so much, I don't have to smoke it all, I can puff what I want and if I'm interrupted I can just slip it in my pocket and pick back up again later.

As far as the law on these things goes I'm not too sure, it's not really clear ... can I smoke in the workplace ... I don't know but no-one would know if I slip into the jacks and take a few puffs ... What about in a bar or on a bus or plane ... I guess I'll find out as I try it out (although the plane will be the Jacks again I think) ... I have seen them used in bars in America (just last week) and that was considered acceptable even though they are sold there to be used in compliance with smoking laws which do outlaw smoking in the bar :D

Personally I have smoked since I was 11 and haven't had a day without cigarettes since I was 16 and I'm over 40 now ... On the flip side of that I usually smoke about 10 to 12 a day unless I'm drinking hard or really stressed :p

I really don't like the fact that I smoke, not really because of my own health but for the fact that I have 4 children who will always hunt me down whenever I'm just trying to have a quiet smoke out of their way, it robs them of my time, I'm conscious of the health impact on them, I know it makes me smell like an ashtray (something that isn't even attractive to other smokers), My teeth are wrecked and my day revolves around thoughts of 'When was my last cigarette, is it time for another one yet?'

I believe that this small device for an outlay of just the cost a few days smoking can actually put me on a different path ... One where I can switch to just feeding my nicotine habit just enough to stop it nagging in my brain, one where my lungs are freed from all the nasty chemicals that make a slight cold linger on for weeks at a time, one where I'm not risking the health of those around me.

If I use an e-cigarette for the remaining days of my life without ever smoking a 'real' cigarette again I will have succeeded

I'd like to put on record that I have no affiliation with any e-cig companies and that I only signed up to Boards.ie after reading this thread because I feel so positive that this is a good start that i wanted to comment so that others may be encouraged to consider their options too, if my post makes just one other smoker try to quit this way when they've never tried before I will have been successful.

may be different for you since you were smoking for so long, but i was a 20 a day man for roughly 10 years (as well as smoking uh... something else) and I noticed my general breathing getting a lot easier after 2-3 weeks. after 2-4 weeks using the ecig I wasn't out of breath climbing the stairs in my apartment any more, taste started coming back as well as the sense of smell. so look forward to that :)

come on down to the vapefest in abbeyleix on 15th september if you're nearby (or even if you're not). if the cigalike models are doing it for you then that's great and that's really all you need, but if you want to have a peek at what else is out there.. even justr for the hobbyist side of things.. should be fun :)

Nice review.

On this question:
    As far as the law on these things goes I'm not too sure, it's not really clear ... can I smoke in the workplace ... I don't know but no-one would know if I slip into the jacks and take a few puffs ... What about in a bar or on a bus or plane ... I guess I'll find out as I try it out (although the plane will be the Jacks again I think) ... I have seen them used in bars in America (just last week) and that was considered acceptable even though they are sold there to be used in compliance with smoking laws which do outlaw smoking in the bar

It is not illegal to use indoors. However, this is obviously subject to whatever policies you your employer has in place. I use mine at my desk all the time.

Most airlines do not allow it.

Some bars and restaurants are OK with it, some aren't. I actually understand their viewpoint if they don't like it. They're the ones who have to deal with other customers who think you're smoking and then have to explain what's going on (while possibly not really understanding it themselves).

There's a good few threads here about it actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tricky_Dicky

Firstly, thanks to Sir Digby Chicken for the positive encouragement :) and to Eoin for the clarification on the Legal side ... I guess the answer is the one that I had hoped for, with a little common sense applied, be discreet and if in doubt ask first :D

I'll add to the post with the experiences of the product (good or bad) and the general responses I get from both friends and the wider public.

One cautionary comment that I have already had from my eldest son (aged 16) ... Do not leave this e-cig lying around where my smaller children could get it ... It's a fully automatic product ... No 'on/off' switch so easy for a smaller child to pick up and play with, emulate daddy :o and get a mouth or lung full of nicotine :eek:

heh, I did that when I was a young one, was the reason dad ended up quitting. woke the whole house up with my coughing and crying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement