Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

!! Irish / Gaeilge HL ... predictions, guesses, discussion ...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,072 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Let me advise people again, the SEC have already contacted boards about statements being made regarding exams.
    Be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

spurious wrote: »
    Where exactly the same answers are consistently found in a centre, an examiner should consult their advising examiner about it.

I say that as a previous examiner, not someone guessing about what happens.

I've been giving essays to learn to Irish classes for about 15 years, have reviewed scripts (grade queries) containing the learned material and there's never been an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

For Ordinary level if you learn the summary of the poems, themes, emotions, images and if/why you like the poem is that all you really need to know?? They aren't going to go too hard on the ordinary level am I right in thinking?? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cara15

oktplz wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm currently freaking out over An Triail. I had so much other work to do I kept pushing it to the back, and now the Leaving Certs nearly here and I haven't touched on it since the mocks
    I was just wondering if anyone could break down what I need to know for it, i.e in terms of characters, themes, etc. or is their a certain answer I can learn and apply to everything?
    Also, what's everyone predicting/hoping to come up?

Thanks guys!

There's no need to be worried at all really, you've time yet! 2 weeks of hard work can cover so much, believe me! Anyway, if you think about it this way: An triail takes up only 40 marks out of paper 2, which is 200 marks altogether. Paper 1 is 160 marks while your oral is a total of 240 marks. This means that an triail only covers approx 7% of your paper, and assuming you will be able to get at least half marks in this your grade would not be highly affected if you have the rest of the course covered really well!

However to answer your question there really is a fair bit you do have to know, but it isn't that hard to cover if you do it right. You're going to get one 40 mark question, which will generally ask you about 1 or two characters and the part/role they play in the tragedy of Máire's life(or something along those lines). So really the question is basically Páirt agus Baint! Last year Bean Uí Chathasaigh came up, it won't be coming up again *almost* DEFINITELY! The year before that it was Pádraig, so safe betting it wont be him either. I would always suggest learning a lot on Maire anyway because she applies to every answer.

What you need to do is pick your characters and learn the part they play and the influence they had on Máire. Some characters to keep and eye out for would be;
    larger characters such as
    -Bean Uí Chinsealaigh(not to be mixed up with Máire's mother, a great one to write about)
    -Mailí
    and minor characters including
    -Liam/Sean
    -an bainisteoir
    -Áine ní b
    -colm
    -seanín
    -an sagart

That's it really, what else could you be expected to know! Good luck in June m'dear <3

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭oktplz

cara15 wrote: »
    There's no need to be worried at all really, you've time yet! 2 weeks of hard work can cover so much, believe me! Anyway, if you think about it this way: An triail takes up only 40 marks out of paper 2, which is 200 marks altogether. Paper 1 is 160 marks while your oral is a total of 240 marks. This means that an triail only covers approx 7% of your paper, and assuming you will be able to get at least half marks in this your grade would not be highly affected if you have the rest of the course covered really well!

However to answer your question there really is a fair bit you do have to know, but it isn't that hard to cover if you do it right. You're going to get one 40 mark question, which will generally ask you about 1 or two characters and the part/role they play in the tragedy of Máire's life(or something along those lines). So really the question is basically Páirt agus Baint! Last year Bean Uí Chathasaigh came up, it won't be coming up again *almost* DEFINITELY! The year before that it was Pádraig, so safe betting it wont be him either. I would always suggest learning a lot on Maire anyway because she applies to every answer.

What you need to do is pick your characters and learn the part they play and the influence they had on Máire. Some characters to keep and eye out for would be;
    larger characters such as
    -Bean Uí Chinsealaigh(not to be mixed up with Máire's mother, a great one to write about)
    -Mailí
    and minor characters including
    -Liam/Sean
    -an bainisteoir
    -Áine ní b
    -colm
    -seanín
    -an sagart

That's it really, what else could you be expected to know! Good luck in June m'dear <3

So sound, thank you so much for that! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Stooped

How long should I spend on the comprehensions?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jgirl18

Hi guys,

Can anyone help, i'm a mature student going back to repeat my Irish but i've found no notes whatsoever on A Thig Na Thit Orm. I can see that the pattern over the past number of years has been questions on his humor and about him growing up in the Ghaelteacht. Do you think that is what will come up again this year or could they just decide change it and ask about England and USA? Also, how much would you want to be writing on this question?

Also, is there any chance anyone is studying Lasaire Choille for the pros?

Thanks so much in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Frainc

jgirl18 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Can anyone help, i'm a mature student going back to repeat my Irish but i've found no notes whatsoever on A Thig Na Thit Orm. I can see that the pattern over the past number of years has been questions on his humor and about him growing up in the Ghaelteacht. Do you think that is what will come up again this year or could they just decide change it and ask about England and USA? Also, how much would you want to be writing on this question?

Boards won't let me post a link but if you go to Skoool .ie you will find decent notes on that book, go to examcentre on the website and youll find them or google A Thig Ná Tit Orm and itll be the third link

there are revision books in easons which cost roughly 6 euro to purchase.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

jgirl18, I've moved your post from the 2012 thread to the current thread where you should get more replies. Best of luck.

Im strongly considering only studying Caca Milis, An Gnathrud and Dis for the pros part and
    An Spailpin Fanach, Mo Ghra Sa and An tEarrach Thiar for the poems part of Ordinary Level Irish..
    Is this too risky do you think? I cannot see them throwing too many risks at OL Irish..thoughts???

Don't think Seal i Neipeal/Gnáthrud came up ever, so its likely to come up this year, i wouldn't risk it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Hi guys,

You only have to read the first 8 chapters of the book. That means that all that can come up is stuff about him growing up, school, humour, social/economic situation in the Gaeltacht and the summer of 1958. You don't have to worry about anything after that.

Thanks so much for that, it's hard studying outside of a class so would never have known that:-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Hi guys,

Just know as many events as possible; first day at school, fishing with his dad, the bosa ceoil, stealing the eggs, bit about what he got upto in the ceirdscoil and something about that summer he was playing music in the Irish college.

You know for the poetry questions, how much roughly do they suggest you write for each. I have tones of notes and I feel like i'm bombarding my brain with this and the pros. Thanks guys. :-)

You know for the poetry questions, how much roughly do they suggest you write for each. I have tones of notes and I feel like i'm bombarding my brain with this and the pros. Thanks guys. :-)

Poetry is only worth 30 Marks, so consider that your essay is worth 100 Marks, whatever 30% of your essay is. The poetry question can be three separate questions and you'd judge length based on the value of the question. for example, one of the questions is worth 6 Marks. Obviously they are just looking for a paragraph for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ImRebecca

What part of grammar is 'gur' and 'go' from in Irish? Like what's it called?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

ImRebecca wrote: »
    What part of grammar is 'gur' and 'go' from in Irish? Like what's it called?

Caint Indíreach

Hi guys,

I'm an external candidate repeating and I was wondering if you have any advice on things like pros and poetry, essays. I'm wondering if i'll be ok to just study 3 poems, and 2 pros. Panick stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ThatsTheShtuff

Frainc wrote: »
    Poetry is only worth 30 Marks, so consider that your essay is worth 100 Marks, whatever 30% of your essay is. The poetry question can be three separate questions and you'd judge length based on the value of the question. for example, one of the questions is worth 6 Marks. Obviously they are just looking for a paragraph for that one.

I still think its the most ridiculous thing ever that we could have to write 3/4 pages for the poetry question in the written paper, yet we get the SAME MARKS for reading one of the poems in the oral, that takes a total of about 45 seconds to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

Stooped wrote: »
    How long should I spend on the comprehensions?

do the comphrehensions last definately, many students do it first and have feck all time left for the poetr/prose. Just getting everything out of the way in the other sections, lets say 30 minutes for poetry, 30 prose, then 35-40 for extra literature. calculate rest of time left, minus 10/15 minutes then divide it by 2 and spend that much time on each on, If its not finished in that time move on to next one regardless. Then when time runs out in the other one scramble to write in whatever you can, keep in mind q6 can be quickly dont by skimming.

• Advertisement

I still think its the most ridiculous thing ever that we could have to write 3/4 pages for the poetry question in the written paper, yet we get the SAME MARKS for reading one of the poems in the oral, that takes a total of about 45 seconds to say!

i completely agree with the mark allocation but sure, if anything its a benfit for us, they would only drop the marks for the oral poem and add it the the studied one which noone wants haha. As for 3/4 pages i think that is absolute overkill imo, life of the poet( which should come up, no guaranteed of course) 6 lines lets say. Then the primary theme/emotion, maybe 1/3 - 2/3 of a page for that, and whatever the other question is i plan on just bringing it to a page and a half. Of course the marc allocation may differ thus differing the length but i did that in the mocks and got the majority of the marks. page and a half for poetry and pros and got 23 and 24 which is all im looking for. Now for the extra poems, if anyone is doind them..... First question "should" be main them, how long we talking? should be 20 marks so full a4? then the next question which most likely "what is meant by these lines" that just like 2/3 lines then? is it just directly translate into "easier" irish or must we go into an alalysis of them then?

Great info, thanks. So if you do two questions on the Prose, how much do they want you to write per question? I will definitely be working backwards with the paper 2.

RoRo979 wrote: »
    i completely agree with the mark allocation but sure, if anything its a benfit for us, they would only drop the marks for the oral poem and add it the the studied one which noone wants haha. As for 3/4 pages i think that is absolute overkill imo, life of the poet( which should come up, no guaranteed of course) 6 lines lets say. Then the primary theme/emotion, maybe 1/3 - 2/3 of a page for that, and whatever the other question is i plan on just bringing it to a page and a half. Of course the marc allocation may differ thus differing the length but i did that in the mocks and got the majority of the marks. page and a half for poetry and pros and got 23 and 24 which is all im looking for. Now for the extra poems, if anyone is doind them..... First question "should" be main them, how long we talking? should be 20 marks so full a4? then the next question which most likely "what is meant by these lines" that just like 2/3 lines then? is it just directly translate into "easier" irish or must we go into an alalysis of them then?

'Minigh na linte' (meaning of lines) is pretty much just breaking down the lines asked for into simpler irish, like you would do with an English poem.
    My teacher reckons its between Colmain and Caoineadh for the extra poetry, and she's never wrong, so give them a bit of time! In the case of Colmain, questions would be Metaphors, Feelings, Main Theme, obviously Minigh na Linte, but a very possible Q to look out for is Can you relate to the poem/Does it bring out any feelings in you? In which case, you just make up a personal story about having a pet at home, and how differently you treat him to the cat! :-D

In the case of Caoineadh, a big Q and a likely one, is 'Treithe na gCaointe', traits of a lament. Know about 10 of these, it could be the big mark Q.

Totally get where you're coming from about the marking system for Poetry in the oral, i shouldn't be complaining at all, they're the easiest marks earned of the whole Leaving Cert, if done correctly of course! I happen to have seen the mark my examiner wrote down, and i'm very happy with it ;P

minigh na línte for caoineadh..... that will be some work :( ye if it asks can i relate ill just take some stuff from geibheann and talk about how people feel alienated and trapped in scoiety

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Katezz

How long roughly should an triail answers be?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 neverfinished

I would definitely answer the comprehensions first. Yes they do take a lot of time but they are worth 16.6% for the two of them so they are worth doing well. Next do the extra prose question at 6.6% and follow that with the regular poetry and prose questions as they are worth only 5% each.

I would definitely answer the comprehensions first. Yes they do take a lot of time but they are worth 16.6% for the two of them so they are worth doing well. Next do the extra prose question at 6.6% and follow that with the regular poetry and prose questions as they are worth only 5% each.

when you put it like that, it's actually crazy how little so much study is worth!!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 orangey24

Has anyone got notes on gafa? :) also for essays on seandaoine and the health system possibly?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭nokia211

I know basically what happens in the poem but what exactly happens in the end?
    Who are the croppies? and does he go to france to fight against the english.
    Thanks
    Please help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 rionakearney

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on answering the Question 6s on the comprehensions? So stuck! Thank you ðŸ‘

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement