Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Small Garden Space Ideas

• 05-06-2014 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I have an average size garden, Its left a bit of a mess from previous owners. I just dont know where to start. Apart from tidying it up and dumping some rubbish, I want some ideas to decorate the garden, something simple but different.

Im not very green fingered so im not interested in flowers all that much apart from the odd potted plant that i will put down.

I am also on a budget of about 600 euro, for an small average garden.

How much it will cost for new fencing, slabs or concrete, as i really dont like grass in a garden as its too messy in winter, Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tiablue

Need some simple ideas for an average garden, want something nice and different. Not a fan of grass, hoping to get rid of it. Basically want some quirky fun ideas

Any shrubs or plants that stay green all year round??

Also how much would wooden fencing be, also cement ground or concrete slabs.

On a budget of about 600 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

any photos of the current state?

no grass = no drainage = potential water sitting in garden

jameshayes wrote: »
    any photos of the current state?

no grass = no drainage = potential water sitting in garden

No photos unfortunately. Im sure we could do it in a way to prevent flooding but im just wondering is it very expensive to buy slabs or concrete :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

What about putting down pebbles instead of concrete or slabs? Will be softer looking, probably better drainage and you could put ornamental grasses around the edges/fence line.

Worth a try i guess, just on a tight budget at the moment, thanks

• Advertisement

tiablue wrote: »
    Worth a try i guess, just on a tight budget at the moment, thanks

Having recently bought a house myself, I completely understand about tight budgets! And I've got no idea how much pebbles actually cost. I just think it would look nicer than looking out the back at a slab of concrete. When you have the money you could get a nice outdoor setting and it would be quite pleasent to sit out there.

mel.b wrote: »
    Having recently bought a house myself, I completely understand about tight budgets! And I've got no idea how much pebbles actually cost. I just think it would look nicer than looking out the back at a slab of concrete. When you have the money you could get a nice outdoor setting and it would be quite pleasent to sit out there.

Money is very tight as we are currently doing up the inside of the house and thats the main focus at the minute, but with summer here Id like to be able to sit out and have barbeques, we have no children so we dont really mind having no grass and it would be easier to maintain in the winter months.
    The people who had the house before us left the garden in a terrible state, cant sit out there at all now

That's such a pity about the previous owners leaving it like that. I don't understand...its pure laziness. I have empty garden beds at the front of the house and the fortunately has a paved patio area and the rest is all lawn. I'll be planting the front garden beds this summer but the back will have to wait until I have the money to do something more to it - it's a fairly decent size. I need some grass though as i have a dog.

Have a look at houzz.com in the outdoor landscape photos - then select compact / small. There are some nice ideas that would be easy to recreate cheaply.

mel.b wrote: »
    That's such a pity about the previous owners leaving it like that. I don't understand...its pure laziness. I have empty garden beds at the front of the house and the fortunately has a paved patio area and the rest is all lawn. I'll be planting the front garden beds this summer but the back will have to wait until I have the money to do something more to it - it's a fairly decent size. I need some grass though as i have a dog.

Have a look at houzz.com in the outdoor landscape photos - then select compact / small. There are some nice ideas that would be easy to recreate cheaply.

Its awful that they'd leave it in that state for us to clean up and sort.
    Thanks a million, looks like a good website il definately be taking some ideas

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Moved from Health and Fitness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Lots of ideas...some of the prettiest gardens I have ever seen were very tiny.
    Also, easy to maintain!

Decades ago when I worked in a library, I loved a book called "The small garden in the city" by Madge Garland. I doubt if it is still in print but some of the ideas in it are influencing my garden imagination to this day.

I suspect that 600 won't go far in fencing or paving, but keep your eyes open...

small shrubs that stay evergreen, yes: Choisya? Lavender? Holly? Buxus? conifer?

On walls or fences - climbers are the way to go: cover those sides with clematis, honeysuckle, Virginia creeper, ivies etc;

Find the warmest spot and place your chair and table there, beside a pretty plant. Have something to look at - bird feeder, small statue, pond. The tiniest "pond" - even a basin - will bring in birds and add tranquillity.

Google "postcard gardens" for some ideas...

best of luck!

• Site Banned Posts: 62 ✭✭Rainwaterman

Need some simple ideas for an average garden, want something nice and different. Not a fan of grass, hoping to get rid of it. Basically want some quirky fun ideas

Any shrubs or plants that stay green all year round??

Also how much would wooden fencing be, also cement ground or concrete slabs.

On a budget of about 600 euro
    If you go into hughes books shops or easons you can buy a book called "gardening for small spaces" for a fiver.Book is written by John Cushnie and its its a fantastic book to read through and look at the colour pictures for inspitation

• Site Banned Posts: 62 ✭✭Rainwaterman

Easons or Hughes books stores.Ask for a book called "gardening for small spaces" Written by John Cushnie and its costs a fiver.Great book full or designs plant lists and pictures of actual gardens completed from design on paper to finished product.Well worth a fiver.

thanks everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I just did my garden last week on a budget of a 1000 Euro so might be able to help a bit on costs. I managed to do most of the labour myself and got it painted , decking , fencing , gates, gravel/stones etc.

Fence - 20 - 25 per panel.
    Gravel/stones - 50 per tonne
    Decking - 16 x 16 480
    Deck lights - 50 Euro
    Decking stain - 50 Euro

If your on budget go with the gravel/stones they are low maintenance and look well , just a bit of labour to get them laid down.

Irishcrx wrote: »
    I just did my garden last week on a budget of a 1000 Euro so might be able to help a bit on costs. I managed to do most of the labour myself and got it painted , decking , fencing , gates, gravel/stones etc.

Fence - 20 - 25 per panel.
    Gravel/stones - 50 per tonne
    Decking - 16 x 16 480
    Deck lights - 50 Euro
    Decking stain - 50 Euro

If your on budget go with the gravel/stones they are low maintenance and look well , just a bit of labour to get them laid down.

Thats quite good actually, and where abouts would i get fencing that cheap, what part of ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Clear out all the rubbish and weeds first. This will give you your blank canvass and you'll know exactly how much area you have.
    If there is a lot of small solid waste, rocks, blocks, metal and stone-items, you may want to keep them as a base to lay concrete, slabs or decking on.
    Then I suggest getting a pencil and paper and making a few sketches of different ideas. Mess around with ideas and allow yourself to make outrageous 'designs', as you can sometimes hit upon a moment of genius when allow the mind to flow.

Thats quite good actually, and where abouts would i get fencing that cheap, what part of ireland

You have ti dig around and see where's offering deals that week, I got mine in Heighton and Buckleys in Dublin , they had a sale on. It was the shiplapped fencing pressure treated and everything, to install it I was lucky I had a small brick wall behind it so I mounted the planks to that nailed it through the concrete, turned out well. Otherwise budget a few quid for wooden or concrete posts. Here's a before and after of how mine turned out attached.

310371.JPG

310372.JPG

One or two potted plants and the place will be looking right.

Well done.

ye did a great job! fair dues

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Nice job on the hardware,but it surely needs at least one plant to be called a garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

A bit of ornamental ivy or clematis etc. on the shed walls would dress it nicely - i suppose roses around the door would be overdoing it ;-)

katemarch wrote: »
    A bit of ornamental ivy or clematis etc. on the shed walls would dress it nicely - i suppose roses around the door would be overdoing it ;-)

Lol big calls for plants in here , we actually have Ivy growing on the opposite wall in the garden which looks nice , can't have potted plants because of the dogs I'm afraid but we are getting a couple of hanging baskets the weekend to go along the fence to finish it off...bit of green , maybe a little bit of purple in between...I also got a parsol for the bench with heaters so I can enjoy a bit beyond the summer =)

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Lol big calls for plants in here , we actually have Ivy growing on the opposite wall in the garden which looks nice , can't have potted plants because of the dogs I'm afraid but we are getting a couple of hanging baskets the weekend to go along the fence to finish it off...bit of green , maybe a little bit of purple in between...I also got a parsol for the bench with heaters so I can enjoy a bit beyond the summer =)

Maybe a little sandbox for the/any sprogs...call it a Mediterranean Garden?

Advertisement