Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Cant connect to this network.....somebody please help!!

• 04-06-2014 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello, for the last week, iv had terrible trouble with my laptop at home. I'm not very computer literate so I really need help!!

Last week for some reason my laptop, a Toshiba Satellite, failed to connect to my home wifi. The wifi works fine as I have an xbox/ phone and ipad that are connected no problem. Everytime I try and connect to my wifi with my laptop I have to type in the security key, it takes a while and then says "can't connect to this network"

I spend the bones of two days searching through the internet for help. Iv tried unistalling my network adapter and re-installing etc. it work briefly for a few hours last night and then today back to square 1.

Somebody please help because its driving me bananas!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Have you tried turning off the router,then back on.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Try deleting the wireless settings you have, here's how.

http://www.tp-link.us/article/?id=281

Then start again. Search for your network, you can use wps (if available) or the wireless key from the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

Anti-Malware and Anti-virus scans need to be done.

is it only this one wifi it's having an issue or is it all wifi points?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tafeehan

Iv tried restarting the router but with no luck. I'll try deleting my wireless settings now, I haven't had a chance to check other hotspots..will try it and report back when I sus it out.

Thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

have you tried connecting the laptop directly to the router with an ethernet cable? if the ethernet connection is working no problem and the laptop connects to other hotspots as you said it will be helpful to further help with the problem

• Advertisement

laptop connects no problem with the ethernet, unfortunately i cant bring the laptop to another hotspot to check the connection there untill the weekend

running a full scan with McAfee....will this be sufficent to check for malware and viruses or would it be better to do another scan?

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

I had this problem a ages ago, after nightmare week or two it turned out a norton a it virus update caused the connection problem. It's a long shot but it took five or six different dudes in India before I found one that had a clue.... Good luck with it.... I would try putting the laptop back in time before the problem, then atleast you can rule out some sort of update or software problem....

how can i put the laptop back in time? I'm useless with computers sorry.....im running a malware and virus scan now so maybe ill get something from that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

ITS usually ,start menu ,programs, system tools, windows restore.
    THIS deletes all your music, photos, that you put on, after the last restore date.

You could go to router menu, security settings, wifi,
    switch off all security for 20 minutes .eg wpa2 security wireless off.
    i had the same problem, so i knocked off router, for 5 minutes and it worked fine since then.
    OR so to control panel ,laptop, security settings, switch off firewall,

• Advertisement

Do you know how to access the command line? if so run an ipconfig /all command and let me know what the output is for the wireless adapter

There is no need to do a system restore or to revert back to a known working config because you cannot connect to the wireless..... it is the last thing you should be doing to be honest

Go to start, menu, programs, acessorys,
    click on command prompt , type ipconfig /all return, or enter key,

wait,

Copy and paste results to your next post here .

right click mouse to copy.

OR try reboot, laptop,press and release, f8 key,for about 7 seconds,
    when safe mode ,menu appears,

use arrows, up,down keys,
    select safe mode with networking, press enter,

SEE does it connect to the wifi network,

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭bluferbl

Is the time and date set correctly on the laptop?

if Time or date on the pc is wrong, the software certificates are invalid,
    eg many websites will not load, for security reasons,
    eg i,m getting a message from a browser in 2009.
    do not give acess to this pc.

Advertisement