Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Inspectorate Recommendations

• 16-12-2015 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Would welcome any opinions on the recommendations set out by the recent report

Recommendation 4.4 The Inspectorate recommends that the Garda Síochána develops a strategic plan for maximising the operational effectiveness and contribution of the Garda Reserve. (Short term)
    To achieve the above recommendation, the following key actions need to be taken:
    • Re-establish the Reserve Management Unit to provide a central point of contact and coordination. • Provide training for all staff on the role, responsibility and use of the Reserve. (Medium term) • Establish a Reserve command structure with consistent reporting and assignment frameworks for all Reserve members. • Create a skills inventory for all reserves. • Provide PALF performance reviews for reserves and opportunities for development through the same programmes provided to full-time members. (Medium term)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

tg123 wrote: »
    Would welcome any opinions on the recommendations set out by the recent report

Recommendation 4.4 The Inspectorate recommends that the Garda Síochána develops a strategic plan for maximising the operational effectiveness and contribution of the Garda Reserve. (Short term)
    To achieve the above recommendation, the following key actions need to be taken:
    • Re-establish the Reserve Management Unit to provide a central point of contact and coordination. • Provide training for all staff on the role, responsibility and use of the Reserve. (Medium term) • Establish a Reserve command structure with consistent reporting and assignment frameworks for all Reserve members. • Create a skills inventory for all reserves. • Provide PALF performance reviews for reserves and opportunities for development through the same programmes provided to full-time members. (Medium term)

Provide training is important - retrained in handcuff and baton is done every two years, a lot of reserves don't get calls for retraining - just left in the dark..

PALF.. I'm up for that! It's go time guys...are hands are not tied anymore.
    Get involved...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

They should come up with a plan for the minimum use also. All these reports, nothing has changed. I have been in it 3 years now and no one thing has changed at all. It's an odd one the Reserves, Garda don't want it and Governments don't want to be seen to get rid of it either, cause of the extra bump in policing hours it gives there stat sheets.

Mind you it would be great if someone did put some oil back on the wheels get it back in motion and give us a purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tg123

TallGlass wrote: »
    They should come up with a plan for the minimum use also. All these reports, nothing has changed. I have been in it 3 years now and no one thing has changed at all. It's an odd one the Reserves, Garda don't want it and Governments don't want to be seen to get rid of it either, cause of the extra bump in policing hours it gives there stat sheets.

Mind you it would be great if someone did put some oil back on the wheels get it back in motion and give us a purpose.

I suppose that each Reserve have their own opinions based on their individual experiences. For myself, I have seen changes slowly but surely we are moving in the right direction. My experience with full time members has been great. Yes, you do come across some who dont like reserves but they are in the minority and no matter how good you perform your duties they will never accept you but then that is their problem and not yours. The majority of full time members help you in anway they can and visa versa. Remember you will only get out of it what you put in. If you are failing to get your 208 hours per year and not attending for duty on a regular basis then your experience will not be as extensive and rewarding as those reserves who appear on a weekly or fortnightly basis and who complete in excess of the 208 hours required.
    More time means more experience , more time spend with your unit allows you to get to know them and them to get to know you. More time will boost your competence level and allow your full time colleagues to have faith in your abilities. This will allow your sgts and cigs to allocate you more responsibilities and thus become a supporting and stand alone element within your unit.
    Yes there are changes required but as long as Reserves attend for duty and carry out their duties to the best of their abilities then the closer we move to an appreciation of the support we give to our full time colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

tg123 wrote: »
    I suppose that each Reserve have their own opinions based on their individual experiences. For myself, I have seen changes slowly but surely we are moving in the right direction. My experience with full time members has been great. Yes, you do come across some who dont like reserves but they are in the minority and no matter how good you perform your duties they will never accept you but then that is their problem and not yours. The majority of full time members help you in anway they can and visa versa. Remember you will only get out of it what you put in. If you are failing to get your 208 hours per year and not attending for duty on a regular basis then your experience will not be as extensive and rewarding as those reserves who appear on a weekly or fortnightly basis and who complete in excess of the 208 hours required.
    More time means more experience , more time spend with your unit allows you to get to know them and them to get to know you. More time will boost your competence level and allow your full time colleagues to have faith in your abilities. This will allow your sgts and cigs to allocate you more responsibilities and thus become a supporting and stand alone element within your unit.
    Yes there are changes required but as long as Reserves attend for duty and carry out their duties to the best of their abilities then the closer we move to an appreciation of the support we give to our full time colleagues.

Just a question off topic but I see you mention reserves who do not turn up regularly, my question would be how do you get on the roster ? Who do you inform of your availability and also could two days at the weekends be done ?
    I am waiting on the next training intake but just curious about hours. As for full timers not being welcoming the one guard I know has no time for reserves but like you said he would be a minority, his problem is he can't understand why someone would do it for free and there is no talking to people like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tg123

Cedric87 wrote: »
    Just a question off topic but I see you mention reserves who do not turn up regularly, my question would be how do you get on the roster ? Who do you inform of your availability and also could two days at the weekends be done ?
    I am waiting on the next training intake but just curious about hours. As for full timers not being welcoming the one guard I know has no time for reserves but like you said he would be a minority, his problem is he can't understand why someone would do it for free and there is no talking to people like that.

Answer: This is done by contacting your unit Sgt and agreeing days that you are available for duty. Some Reserves complete a 10 or 5 hour shift depending on their availability. As for two days at the weekend. I am fortunate in the fact that my working time is flexible and manage to complete 1 to 2 days per week. There are some reserves completing in excess of 600 hours per year (60 days).

Answer: He is indeed in the minority and again this is his problem and not yours. In my opinion some full timers will never understand the volunteer mentality because it is not in their own nature to volunteer for anything. I myself have come across this type of individual not very often but my view is should they find themsleves outnumbered in a public order incident and in need of urgent assistance they will not care whether it is full time member or a Reserve coming to their aid and is standing shoulder to shoulder with them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement