Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

I was listening to Newstalk the other morning and apparantley 6000 have applied and only 36 reserves are on the street. They were suggesting that the process is being delayed internally because the full time Gardai were originally against the idea of the reserves. This actually makes sense as my application has dragged on since last september and even though I've been thru the whole recruitment process, any time I e-mail HR to ask about when I'm supposed to be going to Templmore they say that they're still waiting on security clearance and they'll let me know when it clears.

Does anybody here actually know more than one person who is a Reservist? Or is anyone here going to Templmore in Arpil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 69sparkie69

hi bren.
    yeah, i was offered a place in april,but i didn`t go for the medical,cause i`m away next weekend,and i have to lose some weight..but a friend of mine is heading down there this Friday..lucky bas****,...and hopefully i`ll be able to give everybody a load down next week.. i know it can take a while for your gr2 to be checked and cleared.. so keep the faith...
    hard luck odarallo, give it a go again in a couple of months..and be on time..!!
    hi ian..you skinny thing you..ha ha...10`9..your to skinny,,you lucky bas****,the only time i see that ,is twice, when i`m standing on and off the fecking scales flying by...and you jammy whore,,a girlfriend of 3 years,and your 35..ha ha i`ve one too..but if my wife found out ..she kill me..ha ha.. only messing dear..wish. so ian, have you checked you bmi, you must be near perfect, weight to height,etc...
    sparkie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

How old are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

My advise, do not appeal, just re-apply next year.

hi guys.
    great to see so much interest in this subject..and new people expressing an interest and views too..as it was up to myself, my skinny buddy ian and the bren man to keep it going.. anyway,hope everything goes well for you this weekend..was to go myself,but other half booked hols..and have to go to keep the peace, garda reserve or not..ha ha..hope you come back from there with lots of stories, and give us the heads up on whats expected and going on over the two days..and whats the track suit for the evenings about..???..anyway good luck and enjoy yourself,its been a hard long slug..but you made it..jammy whores..and i`ve got to go to spain..!! anyone want to swap..ha ha ..enjoy.
    sparkie

• Advertisement

hi hughdub,
    yeah i`ve been accepted into the reserves,and i`m down west in mayo..just have to pass the medical now,and hopefully that will go OK..as i`ve just passed my medical for the rnli lifeboats..

I like to hear from anyone that's done the medical,as i`m overweight, but i`m fit enough,as i swim and go to the gym..just cant lose the spare tire..so anyone out there done the medical that are overweight..???

Like kieran61 and freddiew i`m in my early forties..how did that go for your medical kieran..??? any special circumstances, ie, been married, having kids, mortgages..etc..and the stress that goes with them..ha ha.. so kieran did they tell you there and then,that you passed the medical..??

Just had a thought there now..being on the lifeboat, we have to have hepatitis injections..all 1st line emergency services personnel have to have them, or recommended to have them..inc. guards..just in case of contact to someone else's body fluids or blood, in case they are a carrier.. so my question is are they going to provide these to the reserves..?? did anyone ask about this..??

Hi Lads, I just said I was older! I am actually 53 this May. I am now waiting to hear about Medical as I have got word that my form is in order. Kieran, I will be interested to hear how you get on in Templemore and what the Self Defence class/session was like. Any ideas on a Fast Diet ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Hughdub

Hey Sparkie, how's things. I'm in Mayo too so may bump into eachother at some stage. I'm at the meeting the Superintendant stage. Have a meeting next Wednesday so fingers crossed. As far as the Medical goes I think, going by other posts, that you will be told on the day whether you pass or not. Let me know how ye get on.

I too work in an area where Hep B screening and immunisation is a must, so I would imagine that those who can't show their Hep B status will have to be tested etc etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭iandromiskin

Hi all. God I'am really envious of you all just from reading all the posts ! I still hav'nt gotton any word yet of anything, so I presume they are still checking me out. But reading about everybodies experiences so far is making me green with envy. Good point about the Heb thing, never thought of that or of the biting thing. Goes with the job, I don't think any of us thought the reserves would be an easy number.

Well good luck to everybody and let us know next week how it all went so that we can go even greener !

hi ian..
    yeah you will just have to wait..i`d say you will hear from them shortly, as they will have to start to arrange the next group for medicals etc.etc..
    Like yourself..cant wait for the feedback from some of the 37 that went down, should be interesting and a bit of craic..!!
    sparkie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 wex

Preusse wrote:
    Hi Guys,

Just a note on the medical. I did mine a couple of weeks ago. Everything went well bar the hearing test. I have no problem in normal day to day work with it, but they noted it anyway and referred me for a professional audiometry test.

As for the eyesight test: Yes, they are very strict, same as with the Reserve Defence Forces. If you are below the requirement stated in the letter you will fail! It happened to some people I met there.

They will test your eyesight without the glasses only I think, whereas in the RDF they test with glasses on and after some minutes with the glasses off.

Body mass index can also be a problem in some cases. As well as hearing.

Best,
    P.

Hi Preusse,

Have you started training yet,
    Do you know where you will be stationed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Hi wex,

no, I haven't heard anything from them yet. That's probably due to the fact that they have not received my audiogram yet. I will send the results off this week and they will make a decision if they let me in or not.

I am really sweating as this is something I always wanted to do but without having to give up my job. Now's the opportunity...

Best,
    P.

Hugh, what stage are you at now. Fred

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

How long does it take from when you first apply on line to getting some kind of response?

freddiew wrote:
    Kieran, I would welcome a chat on the phone if that's possible. How do I give you my number without everyone getting it? Fred

Hi freddiew,

you can send him a private message (PM) that only he can read. Just click on Kierans nickname in this topic und you will get a list of options, the second one is "Send a Private message to..." I think.

Best,
    P.

Thanks P, I tried that clicking on his name and nothing happens on any names for that matter, maybe I am thick this morning! What stage are u at in process. F

freddiew wrote:
    Thanks P, I tried that clicking on his name and nothing happens on any names for that matter, maybe I am thick this morning! What stage are u at in process. F

That's strange, it should work. If everything else fails you can always look his nickname up in the members' list and click on his profiel and send a PM from there. Or he can send you a PM first and you only have to reply to it from your mailbox. Hope it works!

I am actually through everything, just had my last interview with my Super two weeks ago. Today I a sending off the audiogram I was asked to undergo because of my hearing test at the reserve medical examination. Once they have received this report the medical officer will make a decision if I can join or not. Would be a pity not to be able to join after passing everything but this. By the way it is a minor hearing problem which does not affect every day life and doesn't even require correction, i.e. hearing aid or something like that.

Best,
    Preusse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭KIERAN61

Fred I Have Sent You My Work Number

Kieran, I'm sorry but dont know what address you have sent it to. Cannot fond on any. Can you email me on <removed> please

Hi Fred. I'm at the waiting stage still!! Passed the interview/written. GR2 completed returned signed off at local station. Had an interview this morning with a Supt. Very informal (still wore the glad rags though) asked me about myself and my background also why I wanted to join the Reserves and then gave me a scenario and asked how I would deal wit that particular situation. Very nice very relaxed ''chat''. He said he now has to send a report off and wasn't sure how long it would take before I heard anything.

Preusse: Thanks for the reply, if ye remember where ye saw that info let me know..

Hugh

• Advertisement

Hugh, what scenario was it he asked you. F

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 celticlegend03

wex wrote:
    There is presently no limit on the max hours you can do, and you can work any of the existing shifts in which ever station you get attached to, so nights and weekends not a problem.

Hey thanks for the above. Due to have my interview and exam next wk. Is there any documents or sample questions for the exam stage on the public jobs web site or anywhere else?

Also I am hoping to join full time in the near future, should I mention that at the interview? Any views

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 wex

Hey thanks for the above. Due to have my interview and exam next wk. Is there any documents or sample questions for the exam stage on the public jobs web site or anywhere else?

Also I am hoping to join full time in the near future, should I mention that at the interview? Any views

Dont think there are any sample questions available, at least I havnt seen any, but I would mention that you are interested in Full time after, some of the original Reserves are joining full time I think.

Thanks for that Preusse.

Fred, the scenario was, <removed>, how would you deal with the situation ??

How did you deal with it ! and were you correct!!

I heard to day on the news that the 2nd lot of GR graduated today 36 which means only around 70 to date out of the 6000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ultachna

hi everyone, i was oe of the people attested and graduated yesterday from the Garda Reserve, now i joined initially as ive intentions of joining the regular force. Im loving where im station, and all the people im working with, ive met a great bunch of people throught the reserve training and really enjoyed every aspect of it! :) so good luck to anyone applying. PS only bad thing was i was on the TV3 news yesterday recieving my cert and ive had too many texts from people who've seen it! Embarrassing! :o

ultachna wrote:
    hi everyone, i was oe of the people attested and graduated yesterday from the Garda Reserve, now i joined initially as ive intentions of joining the regular force. Im loving where im station, and all the people im working with, ive met a great bunch of people throught the reserve training and really enjoyed every aspect of it! :) so good luck to anyone applying. PS only bad thing was i was on the TV3 news yesterday recieving my cert and ive had too many texts from people who've seen it! Embarrassing! :o

Congratulations! What do you think is the percentage of people joining the reserve in order to apply full-time at some stage compared to people who wouldn't want to give up their day-job?

Best,
    Preusse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭geo1212

Congrats,

Hope things went well for you on the day, I am a Reserve member, passed out with the first batch, stationed in Dublin. At least there are a few more of us now, think there is another phase behind you guys passing out in a couple of months. I have been following the forums on the Reserve for a while, looks like its getting a bit easier to chat about now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Trooper407

Hi, I was wondering how strict are they on colour-blindness in the medical? Is there any exceptions?

Advertisement