Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda reserve

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Dr_Champion

I'm actually amazed people keep interest for that long . How do they get anyone in if they make them wait that long, so many people could of moved away or lost interest.
    Well with the full time going maybe not then? But I thought there was a Garda Reserve unit set up for the management and running of the Reserve gardai with a super watching over it ,if that is true how are they still in jobs ?r do they just not care?,iv read all this info online some of it was years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

I'm actually amazed people keep interest for that long . How do they get anyone in if they make them wait that long, so many people could of moved away or lost interest.
    Well with the full time going maybe not then? But I thought there was a Garda Reserve unit set up for the management and running of the Reserve gardai with a super watching over it ,if that is true how are they still in jobs ?r do they just not care?,iv read all this info online some of it was years old.

They are too tied up with full time to even care about those waiting for the reserves. After this recruitment they will need more reserves so maybe late summer we might hear something but even then it won't be till 2017 that a class be set up.

Sad times when the college and HQ can't keep the 2 going and when I mean going just take on 1 r 2 classes of Reserve Gardai a year so that it doesn't stop altogether. In the UK they have a much better set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Its Ireland ! we are ten years behind the UK in so many ways, be jaysus be garra.
    sad but true.

I just thought I would enquirer about the Garda Reserve recruitment and what I was told is what you lads said here that it is a long process ,but while I was talking to the lady I asked when the next time they where going to train GR and she said Middle of this year hopefully, which is only a 2 and abit months away . so to the guys that answered my question maybe a little good news for ya, she didn't sound 100% but maybe of ye gave a call yourself or Something.

• Advertisement

two months away for the next influx, who could be waiting two or more years, you most likely will not get this influx, in fairness its a good life experience thing to do, but you will see the force inn a very different way, trust me.

two months away for the next influx, who could be waiting two or more years, you most likely will not get this influx, in fairness its a good life experience thing to do, but you will see the force inn a very different way, trust me.

Ahhh no I didn't think I would. I just wanted to pass on the info. But would love to try it, maybe Ina few years might get faster recruitment process

Bloody priceless, I needed the training to start last September as I knew my company was going under after Christmas, low and behold it did in February and now I'm starting a new job on Monday and there's not a hope of getting the time needed off for training.

just ask, most employers will think its a good sign of you, explain the long delays, maybe they or someone they know applied also.

I'd say they would give you the time off. You should ring HQ yourself and see , they didn't seem to bothered about it . They may not even do it she just said they were hoping to do something mid year and iv read through a fair few comments on the Garda reserve forums and I can see they don't seem to care a about the Garda Reserve a whole lot. Let us know if you get your training date ,i am curious to see will there be any movement or will the GR be forgotten about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭donman

Just saw this.In my opinion,if the Garda Reserve is not given urgent attention,then it will have stepped back instead of moved forward.14 months since my medical,and no sign of a training date.

Dublin West sees biggest drop in Garda reserve numbers in Ireland

13:16, 24 Jul 2016
    By Claire Scott

A Fianna Fail spokesperson believes the gardai are in "denial" about the problem

Shares Comments

The number of Garda reserves in Ireland have dropped by 26% in the last two years with the Dublin West division seeing the biggest fall in the country.

The division saw their member numbers drop from 62 in 2014 to a shocking low of 44 this year - just over 30%.

The numbers in Dublin Metropolitan South Central have also suffered a loss of 20%, falling from 78 in 2014 to 63 this year.

Read More

Rose Kenny livid as her attacker was allowed to leave Thailand despite murder charges

Dublin hasn't been the only city to take the hit as figures released by Fianna Fail's Jim O'Callaghan have revealed.

There was 1,179 total in the reserves as of May 2014 but this has gone down to a low of 870.

One of the biggest declines was seen in Galway city where numbers have gone down by 45% and Cork city's reserves have fallen from 75 in 2014 to just 59 this year.

Fianna Fail justice spokesman, Jim O' Callaghan told the Irish Mirror: "These figures are deeply alarming and must be acted upon urgently.

"It's possible the gardai are in denial about this problem."

donman wrote: »
    Just saw this.In my opinion,if the Garda Reserve is not given urgent attention,then it will have stepped back instead of moved forward.14 months since my medical,and no sign of a training date.

Dublin West sees biggest drop in Garda reserve numbers in Ireland

13:16, 24 Jul 2016
    By Claire Scott

A Fianna Fail spokesperson believes the gardai are in "denial" about the problem

Shares Comments

The number of Garda reserves in Ireland have dropped by 26% in the last two years with the Dublin West division seeing the biggest fall in the country.

The division saw their member numbers drop from 62 in 2014 to a shocking low of 44 this year - just over 30%.

The numbers in Dublin Metropolitan South Central have also suffered a loss of 20%, falling from 78 in 2014 to 63 this year.

Read More

Rose Kenny livid as her attacker was allowed to leave Thailand despite murder charges

Dublin hasn't been the only city to take the hit as figures released by Fianna Fail's Jim O'Callaghan have revealed.

There was 1,179 total in the reserves as of May 2014 but this has gone down to a low of 870.

One of the biggest declines was seen in Galway city where numbers have gone down by 45% and Cork city's reserves have fallen from 75 in 2014 to just 59 this year.

Fianna Fail justice spokesman, Jim O' Callaghan told the Irish Mirror: "These figures are deeply alarming and must be acted upon urgently.

"It's possible the gardai are in denial about this problem."

I am following all the Garda reserve forums hoping to here some good news on a fresh recruitment ,but its always negative.

14 months ? That medical would be nearly a year out of date 6 months max is all a medical cert lasts, so you would have to go again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

With all the figures going around, not many of these GR's are active.. Maybe 1 in 20 is doing proper active duty.

With all the figures going around, not many of these GR's are active.. Maybe 1 in 20 is doing proper active duty.

When you say they are not active do you mean they don't do any duty or very little? Does a Garda reserve not have to do adleast 208 hours a year?

Apparently so Dr Champion.A waste of time last year having all the hopes built up and thought I had it done and dusted.A day off work,a 7 hour round trip to Dublin for a medical,and lost my 2 weeks holidays in work,due to holding them for September and then November training dates,which ended up cancelled.Now to have to wait and do it all again,and the possibilty of failing(Which could happen) the medical when it was passed first time round.Very frustrating.

Apparently so Dr Champion.A waste of time last year having all the hopes built up and thought I had it done and dusted.A day off work,a 7 hour round trip to Dublin for a medical,and lost my 2 weeks holidays in work,due to holding them for September and then November training dates,which ended up cancelled.Now to have to wait and do it all again,and the possibilty of failing(Which could happen) the medical when it was passed first time round.Very frustrating.

So you had training and it got cancelled ,and there has been nothing set since September? That absolute madness that will soon be a year and they have done nothing. Fair play to you for sticking with it tho.

Out of curiosity I wonder how many want to join.? Because recently with the new Garda Reserve stream recruitment its more appealing. I herd they haven't done interviews since 2013.
    I want to send an application in but is there any point until they announce a recruitment drive?

The commissioner has said tho that a fresh recruitment drive will be this year but this year isn't far from being over.

When you say they are not active do you mean they don't do any duty or very little? Does a Garda reserve not have to do adleast 208 hours a year?

There is a large number that don't do many hours..
    At this stage letters will be sent out to see your intentions to stay in or out!
    It's a long road to get in, but when you do!
    It's worth it if your willing to assist.
    There is a few hard core lads and lassies that do the required hours and many more!... GR's don't get enough credit for what they do, no head leadership just GR's networking amongst them selfs...

Yes,there were 2 Training dates last year,both of which got cancelled.

I always wanted to be a Garda,but sadly,just couldn't get in,so when the Garda Reserve was setup,I thought fantastic,I still have an apportunity to become a Garda in a Reserve role.I applied twice before,and got turned down,and gave it a final 3rd go.Did my Interview in February of 2012,and after a very long wait,finally got called for the medical in 2015.Passed the medical,and couldn't believe that the dream was finally going to become a reality,after all the disappointments.Then,sadly,all the euphoria,began to get taken away,to the stage i'm at now.I didn't expect to be taking steps back in the process.

If you have plenty of patience,then put in an application.I'm sure it will be worth it,when you get in and are willing to put in the effort to support your fulltime members and your community.

Will there be an intake this year?Well,looking at the Fulltime forum,and the figures and months they are talking about,it looks like there won't,but things can change out of the blue.It's a watch this space scenario.

Well that's real commitment right their folks.. Well done!!! its a proud moment when you get into the college and you will soon... I'd say maybe later this Year... They are making calls at the moment asking are you still interested, more the people who have got to Medical stage..
    Guys, you have to get on with your life's... The GR aways takes a back seat, the system will drive you mad! If your not already mad for joining in the first place lol...

I always wanted to be a Garda,but sadly,just couldn't get in,so when the Garda Reserve was setup,I thought fantastic,I still have an apportunity to become a Garda in a Reserve role.I applied twice before,and got turned down,and gave it a final 3rd go.Did my Interview in February of 2012,and after a very long wait,finally got called for the medical in 2015.Passed the medical,and couldn't believe that the dream was finally going to become a reality,after all the disappointments.Then,sadly,all the euphoria,began to get taken away,to the stage i'm at now.I didn't expect to be taking steps back in the process.

If you have plenty of patience,then put in an application.I'm sure it will be worth it,when you get in and are willing to put in the effort to support your fulltime members and your community.

Will there be an intake this year?Well,looking at the Fulltime forum,and the figures and months they are talking about,it looks like there won't,but things can change out of the blue.It's a watch this space scenario.

Well hopefully this is your year pal. By the looks of it something may happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭rookie1470

Well that's real commitment right their folks.. Well done!!! its a proud moment when you get into the college and you will soon... I'd say maybe later this Year... They are making calls at the moment asking are you still interested, more the people who have got to Medical stage..
    Guys, you have to get on with your life's... The GR aways takes a back seat, the system will drive you mad! If your not already mad for joining in the first place lol...

Can you confirm that applicants are getting calls from Garda HQ asking if they are still interested?? I did my medical back in mid 2015 and passed. I got no correspondents to say when training will start back then and only when I emailed them I was advised that training intake had been cancelled.

I read another article today that said that they are going to push for a fresh recruitment.

http://www.clare.fm/news/head-clare-garda-division-confident-banner-garda-reserve-high-standard

More about the lack of Reserve but still nothing on recruitment?

I'll leave these links here for you to read, note the dates and the discrepancy in reserve numbers in training.

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2016-05-24a.150

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2016-03-22a.739

Who are these 18/19 reserves training ? Not one of them on boards which is strange as most reserves use boards to communicate. Are these reserves who are awaiting graduation or are they you and me who have complete the medical and had our training cancelled ?

Are they using us to make themselves look good when asked about reserve recruitment ? Those 18/19 reserves have been claimed to be training since September last year and if you were in my boat in September 2015 you know what happened to that training class.

https://youtu.be/L61I1V9OVjk

Hopefully a bit of inspiration for those currently waiting.

Tbh with the new full time recruitment I just think the Garda reserve going to be forgotten about for a long time, which is a shame

Completely different, they can drive, they have more authority, plenty freedom.

Yes indeed,they do have alot of independance as a Volunteer part of the Force,but that was probably through time that came about.With a new recruitment campaign announced for fulltime force,and no mention of Garda Reserve numbers increasing,I feel,unless they take drastic action,then this plays into the hands of those who called for it to be disbanded etc.I'm sure numbers are at a low at the moment,and to get numbers to the promised 3000,which was announced by the new government,would need to take on a simailar recruitment drive that the Full time force are seeing.I can't see,why at the very minimum,that the college,can't have 1 intake per year,of a decent number of Garda Reserve Recruits.This being done,along side Full time Recruitment,would allow for both sides of the force,to sustain and increase the numbers.Now,as I don't know the issues the Trainers or AGS face with recruitment,to me,it just seems like a sensible and logical method or system.What I do know,is the current one isn't working,when a number of us were called for Medicals last year,and had 2 Training dates cancelled,and have not heard anything since,so we are now in limbo,and don't know have we stepped back in the process,do we have to redo another medical etc etc.I after 3 attempts to get in,and wait 4.5 years on this 3rd attempt,ever expect,that this would be where I am today.Seriously frustrated,as I should have my first year completed this month,if things had of gone right.

Any news on when your getting training yet lads?

• Advertisement

Not a word.

Advertisement