Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Debate on the Working Group on Review of Firearms Licensing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Still fuming over Deputy Kenny's remarks

Deputy Kenny should also have asked the Garda spokesman about the likelihood of police shootings, chokings and general brutality happening here in the future, as it is getting a lot of media coverage in the USA right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

From the remarks that the politicians have made so far, it seems like we aren't going to get fair play.

There'll be consultation alright, meaningful consultation - I don't think so.

It'll be along the lines of "thanks for your input but now you can fcuk off. We have our minds made up already". :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

1.12 on the clip....

Chief Super Fergus Healy "The more of these guns (he means Licensed) that are on license the greater the risk of something happening"

Meanwhile the Murder rate in Ireland is up 66% in 2014. Its already happening Fergus with illegally held guns.

knockon wrote: »
    1.12 on the clip....

Chief Super Fergus Healy "The more of these guns (he means Licensed) that are on license the greater the risk of something happening"

Meanwhile the Murder rate in Ireland is up 66% in 2014. Its already happening Fergus with illegally held guns.

The higher echelons of An Garda Siochana know well that these crimes are being committed by scumbags with illegal firearms. They know full well we aren't misusing our firearms.

They are going after us because they keep getting their bottoms spanked in court because they aren't applying the legislation properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭SVI40

BattleCorp wrote: »
    The higher echelons of An Garda Siochana know well that these crimes are being committed by scumbags with illegal firearms. They know full well we aren't misusing our firearms.

They are going after us because they keep getting their bottoms spanked in court because they aren't applying the legislation properly.

Of course they are, and any submission sent to the Committee must emphasise that nothing in the Garda proposals is based on evidence or fact. This must be made abundantly clear to the members of the Justice Committee, and our local TDs. It is pure scare mongering on behalf of a select few in AGS. From what I am led to believe, you cannot pass a law for something that may happen (I stand to be corrected).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭clivej

Just going back in my head that did the Chef Super say about pump & semi shotguns.

"There are only 47 of these type of weapons". Which would imply that there are only 47 semi/pump shotguns licensed.

I would think that this was Restricted semi/pump shotguns licensed but the implication is was that He wanted to ban them all as these was only a few licensed in total

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I think he was referring to restricted shotguns clive, but I think it's fair to say he wasn't being terribly concerned at giving clear explanations of what he was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Emailed Deputy Kenny. For all the good it'll do.... :rolleyes:

clivej wrote: »
    Just going back in my head that did the Chef Super say about pump & semi shotguns.

"There are only 47 of these type of weapons". Which would imply that there are only 47 semi/pump shotguns licensed.

I would think that this was Restricted semi/pump shotguns licensed but the implication is was that He wanted to ban them all as these was only a few licensed in total
    Sparks wrote: »
    I think he was referring to restricted shotguns clive, but I think it's fair to say he wasn't being terribly concerned at giving clear explanations of what he was talking about.

This should be fun as I have just this week applied for a Restricted Shotgun license on my Mossberg Maverick 88, 7 +1, 24" barrel.

Reason for use is vermin control & target shooting in International competitions.

332147.jpg

Look on the bright side Clive, if this goes through, you'll have several thousand people doing the same thing with you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Gormley85

(Note: anyone can make a submission, not just NGBs - you've all got something written, right?)

Who do you make a submission to..???

Gormley85 wrote: »
    Who do you make a submission to..???

The committee are taking submissions and so are the department.
    Instructions for the committee submissions are attached:

clivej wrote: »
    This should be fun as I have just this week applied for a Restricted Shotgun license on my Mossberg Maverick 88, 7 +1, 24" barrel.

Reason for use is vermin control & target shooting in International competitions.

332147.jpg

You might get the licence, pay for the gun and then have it taken back off of you with no compensation. That's what they are proposing anyway.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    You might get the licence, pay for the gun and then have it taken back off of you with no compensation. That's what they are proposing anyway.

I already own this shotgun as is and have the plug in to limit the mag to two shells. So I have a loss anyway if this goes thru. Unless someone wants to buy it. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Wadi14

clivej, as the man says if it walks like a duck, looks like a duck , the barrel looks a bit long u could take and inch or 2 off it eh lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

https://www.facebook.com/associationofhuntsaboteurs.

BTW whats face book policy on publishing information on making weaponry or info likely to be of help to extremists and terrorists,as they have a nice link to their "how to make firebombs" manual "Arson around with Auntie ALF"..
    This BTW is the Irish website run by Bernie Wright not the UK or international version.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Watched the full justice committee on firearms meet today:

AGS were very short on stats - pretty hamfisted to go in unprepared like that. They did mention that 3 handguns were stolen in the latest year available, out of 300-odd, 88 of which were airguns, starter pistols, humane killers and the like and they were forced to concede that 2 firearms dealers robberies contributed to the total.

Also mentioned that they were aware of an instance when a rifle and shotgun were left behind and a handgun stolen, so what is the underlying reason for AGS concern about theft from licensed firearm holders? Genuine question.

Also, three committee members - MacLochlainn SF, Kenny Lab and the FG guy with vision impairment voiced their support for the AGS proposals, before they have heard our submissions, which are due in by 9 Jan 2015.

And the threat of atrocity is the major Garda concern with licensed firearms. Funny that, because they can refuse/revoke a licence on those very grounds right now.

Oh, almost forgot the absence of ballistic data linking licensed firearms to crime - you would think that after 10 years of licensing handguns here that at least a few licensed firearms used in crime would start to show up.......but they don't have the info at hand.

Got pieces of paper clogging up the house with all my thoughts for the committee..

yubabill1 wrote: »
    And the threat of atrocity is the major Garda concern with licensed firearms. Funny that, because they can refuse/revoke a licence on those very grounds right now.
    Not quite, it's worse - they are legally not allowed to grant if they have that concern. They don't actually have any choice in the matter. So to say that they have that concern on the basis of licenced firearms is a statement that either says they're breaking the Firearms Act and endangering the public; or they're overstating their concern to the point of misleading the Dail Committee on Justice.

Either way, non-trivial.

It's section 4 in case anyone's wondering:
    4.—(1) An issuing person shall not grant a firearm certificate unless he or she is satisfied that the applicant complies with the conditions referred to in subsection (2) and will continue to comply with them during the currency of the certificate.

(2) The conditions subject to which a firearm certificate may be granted are that, in the opinion of the issuing person, the applicant—

(b) can be permitted to possess, use and carry the firearm and ammunition without danger to the public safety or security or the peace,
    Read the bold bits in particular...

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hrcbob

It has all the signs of the death of shooting sports as we know it.

It makes for hard watching to see the future of the legislation in the hands of people who have no interest in our sport and who will gladly sacrifice it to make themselves look good,,

Is there a case to be had to send a copy of the firearms licence application form as it currently stands to some of these people and see if they feel that the effort and detail of information required to fill it out really and truely means that we have an unrestrictive gun licencing system here,

Maybe get them to apply for some of the firearms that they are so obsessed with talking about like the "assault type" centre fire rifles and 9mm military type handguns and see how far they get before they run into a brick wall..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

yubabill1 wrote: »
    Watched the full justice committee on firearms meet today:

AGS were very short on stats - pretty hamfisted to go in unprepared like that. They did mention that 3 handguns were stolen in the latest year available, out of 300-odd, 88 of which were airguns, starter pistols, humane killers and the like and they were forced to concede that 2 firearms dealers robberies contributed to the total.

Also mentioned that they were aware of an instance when a rifle and shotgun were left behind and a handgun stolen, so what is the underlying reason for AGS concern about theft from licensed firearm holders? Genuine question.

Also, three committee members - MacLochlainn SF, Kenny Lab and the FG guy with vision impairment voiced their support for the AGS proposals, before they have heard our submissions, which are due in by 9 Jan 2015.

Oh, almost forgot the absence of ballistic data linking licensed firearms to crime - you would think that after 10 years of licensing handguns here that at least a few licensed firearms used in crime would start to show up.......but they don't have the info at hand.

Got pieces of paper clogging up the house with all my thoughts for the committee..

Is the full recording available? I couldn't find it online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Suffering Jbox

Not quite, it's worse - they are legally not allowed to grant if they have that concern. They don't actually have any choice in the matter. So to say that they have that concern on the basis of licenced firearms is a statement that either says they're breaking the Firearms Act and endangering the public; or they're overstating their concern to the point of misleading the Dail Committee on Justice.

Either way, non-trivial.

It's section 4 in case anyone's wondering:

Read the bold bits in particular...

What he's saying is that the Gardaí are not granting them - the applicant can appeal to the District Court and will get them.

What he's saying is that the Gardaí are not granting them - the applicant can appeal to the District Court and will get them.

And that's also wrong because the DC can't just ignore Section Four; if it did, the case would just wind up appealed for judicial review and the verdict thrown out. The law is the law; it doesn't apply only to Gardai, but to "An issuing person" which is the DC in an appeals case.

The committee are taking submissions and so are the department.
    Instructions for the committee submissions are attached:

The main document should contain the following information:
    (i) A brief introduction, for example, explaining your area of expertise;
    (ii) Any factual information that you have to offer from which the Committee might be able to draw conclusions, or which could be put to other parties for their reactions;
    (iii) Any recommendations to the Committee which should be as specific as possible and should be summarised at the end of the document; and

in order

i) Im not an expert
    ii) What kind of facts do they want.. crime statistics is it?
    iii) Im not sure what recommendations I have, just leave the law the way it is I suppose would be good. Or if they could give us reloading that would be nice.

i) Im not an expert
    How long have you been shooting?
    ii) What kind of facts do they want.. crime statistics is it?
    If you had them, that'd be a fact, yes, but mostly they mean that they don't want opinions without something backing them up.
    iii) Im not sure what recommendations I have, just leave the law the way it is I suppose would be good. Or if they could give us reloading that would be nice.
    Reloading's going to come in off the explosives act, so they'd just dismiss that as being a problem for another review. But "do nothing" is still a valid recommendation.

How long have you been shooting?

Since I was a teenager. But I dont believe X amount of years of shooting automatically makes me an expert. How long have you been driving cars.... do you think you are a driving expert?
    If you had them, that'd be a fact, yes, but mostly they mean that they don't want opinions without something backing them up.

Ok but what facts do they want? I mean what facts can I tell them... or what facts do you reckon I should tell them?

www . gunfacts.info/
    But "do nothing" is still a valid recommendation.

Ok well I think I'll go with that then.

Since I was a teenager. But I dont believe X amount of years of shooting automatically makes me an expert.
    Makes you an expert compared to people who haven't spent X amount of years shooting.
    Certainly puts you ahead of half the people who were in that room this week...
    And expertise doesn't have to be in every area of a field don't forget. I'm okay with rifle and pistol, for example, but I have trouble hitting the broad side of a barn with a shotgun, even if I'm inside the barn at the time.
    Ok but what facts do they want? I mean what facts can I tell them... or what facts do you reckon I should tell them?
    It's not about what facts they want, or they'd ask for them. It's about what facts you know that you think they should also know.
    Ok well I think I'll go with that then.
    Good man.

Makes you an expert compared to people who haven't spent X amount of years shooting.
    Certainly puts you ahead of half the people who were in that room this week...
    And expertise doesn't have to be in every area of a field don't forget. I'm okay with rifle and pistol, for example, but I have trouble hitting the broad side of a barn with a shotgun, even if I'm inside the barn at the time.

It's not about what facts they want, or they'd ask for them. It's about what facts you know that you think they should also know.

Good man.

I had this typed before I saw your reply. Im going to post this of to them.

Sir,

Im not an expert shooter or an expert in anything to do with shooting or ballicistics or crime etc. But this my sport and these new laws affect me too so I think my opinion should still count.

I think in Ireland if a gangster can take in kilos of cocaine and heroin then they can probably also take in guns themselves without stealing them from us. I wonder was Martin Cahill killed with a licenced pisol? Or Veronica Geurin? Or was John Gilligans recent shooting by a legal pistol- or stolen legal pistol?

You mention the school shooting by the taliban this week. That shooting was very political. That was a planned military style attack. That was not something that happened when a few people with licenced guns decided to go on a shooting spree.

I read that we have had target shooting in Ireland since 1800's and havent ever had an incident and is one of the safest sports in the country. To me that says something.

So why are you trying to change the law? I dont see a problem with it the way it is. If you want to prevent a school shooting then the best way is to make sure the Garda do a good job on background checks. You have to give a reference in the application form and this refernece can be a family member, of course they arent going to say anything bad. Maybe let Garda contact your place of work and pick a random person there and see what reference they give.

To shorten all that and put it simple. Leave the law as it is. Dont change it or you will kill our sport.

All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Steve012

Excuse my ignorance lads an lassies, Would a say, Ruger 10/22 come under the cosh?, In this proposed nonsense..
    I'm aware of plugged shottys that can hold more than 3 rounds, and .22 pistols. Might be on the chop, Which I have myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Under this proposal a super would be able to refuse any application on the basis that they believe crime rates are too high in their district. Everyone's firearms are under threat no matter what they are.

Should this go through, even if a super was willing to grant licences I'm sure there will be pressure from above to refuse them.

Imagine it;

'Crime rates are too high in your district super'

'No not really, they're actually down a bit'

'No, you didn't hear me...your crime rates are too high..sort it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Yup,that policy is already in existance albeit unofficaly.
    Example
    Limerick Leader May 2013 Garda Chief Super and state pathologist stating that gun crime in Limerick is down by 95%. In that same year the Chief refused over a dozen CF handgun liscenses and then stated in the witnes box in Oct 2014 that they were refused on the basis of "public saftey and rising gun crime."

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement