Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Air rifle

Options
  • 01-07-2012 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Looking into getting air rifle, after a bit of research it wold appear that Weihrauch hw100 is one of the best..... who sells them. In in Cork

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Collioure wrote: »
    Looking into getting air rifle, after a bit of research it wold appear that Weihrauch hw100 is one of the best..... who sells them. In in Cork

Go into cork angling..

the bheys in there will look after ya..

failing that go to mervin..

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

I have a HW100 on the way from Griffin Hawe in Athy, they are supposed to be getting a few of them in.

I hope you're not in a hurry though, I'm waiting about 6 months for mine.

@Hedzball, who is Mervin?

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

murph226 wrote: »
    I have a HW100 on the way from Griffin Hawe in Athy, they are supposed to be getting a few of them in.

I hope you're not in a hurry though, I'm waiting about 6 months for mine.

@Hedzball, who is Mervin?

Mervin Jeffers... Jeffers sports Bandon :)

The best...

'hdz

Has Jeffers got much of a selection of .22 air rifle ammo?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Enda17

Hello. I have been looking online at weihrauch air rifles and was wondering what 100 model is best? Or is it just down to personal preference?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

There is one for sale on here. I have nothing to do with it but it looks like a good rifle.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057296819/1

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭HW100S

Hello

Welcome to the world of airgun hunting.

Yes, you are correct the HW100 is one of the best PCP air rifles out there. But what does 'one of the best' mean? Personally I’m an Air Arms fan and an owner of an S510 PCP. I looked at the HW100 originally but it just didn't do it for me.

I tested two different HW100's and I found it difficult to achieve good groupings, which was disappointing. This was probably down to me and not the rifle but I found it hard to shoot.
    I really wanted to buy the HW100 because it has so many good things - excellent trigger, 14 shot rotary magazine, spare magazine, side lever action, good automatic solid safety catch. I did find the auto safety a bit annoying though as after each shot it automatically goes safe - a good safety feature - just needs getting used to.

However I didn’t like the length of the barrel in the FAC version. At a barrel length of 600mm and an extra 200mm for the moderator you would need a big field to turn it.

Its runs at approx. 30fpe and has an inbuilt regulator which gives over 35 consistent/regulated shots per fill. By consistent shots I mean it produces a flat power curve, so in theory shot 5 for example delivers the same fpe and shot 25. This is not the case with other un-regulated brands such as Air Arms but the power spread in not much and is nothing rally to worry about once you know your rifle.

As I said I really wanted to buy the HW100 because it has so many good things but I couldn’t get over the physical size an weight. (its heavy)

The HW100 comes in a carbine length also - it’s nice and compact with a 410mm barrel, and much lighter. The only down side imo is its runs at about 24fpe and gives barely 25-30 shots per fill. 24FPE is more than capable to take care of rabbits, vermin etc but I’m a power addict so I prefer the extra few Foot pounds the Air Arms offers.

The alternative:

Well there are so many, Air Arms, DayState, Walter, BSA, Webley, the list goes on, its confusing when you start out. To make matters easier, if you want to get your air rifle in a reasonably short time they your choices are Air Arms, Daystate or Weihrauch.

As I said earlier I shoot the AAS510 FAC Carbine length. It’s a great air rifle. Delivers 30FPE with approx. 30 shots per fill. Comes with a 10 shot magazine, side lever cocking, shrouded barrel (an extra moderator is necessary, imo, but you could get away without one), beautiful walnet stock (extra). Lothar Walter barrel which is ver accurate. But the real bonus is I can adjust the power via a small knob on the side. When shooting in sheds I can turn the power down to 8FPE which won’t punch holes in the shed and they turn it back up to 30FPE for long distance rabbits.
    The safety catch is on the trigger, I really disliked this location at first, you get used to it however but still need to be vigilant to remain safe.

Daystate do a really nice PCP called the Regal. Its a bit more expensive than the HW100 or the S510 but its a really nice rifle. It comes in 30FPE and 40FPE. Any of the models I have seen in Ireland are the 40FPE ones, delivering about 30shots per fill again. Also has the Lothar Walter barrel.

Weihrauch manufacutre their own barrel but being Germany the accuracy will be first class.

You didn't mention in your post but based on the fact you mentioned the HW100 I assume you are going the PCP (pre charged pneumatic) route?

What about springers, underlevers. The advantage of these is you don’t need the diving tank/foot pump to refill, the dis advantage - one shot at a time and a learning curve is required to get used of the spring recoil.

So, I didn't expect to write this much and hope I haven’t confused you too much but I would say take your time in choosing your rifle. Go around to different places or find people who have these models and shoot them first - that’s what I did.

Regarding places to buy them: As someone else said Mervyn Jeffers in Bandon does the Air Arms. He is a sound man to deal with, maybe a little more expensive but he is professional and won't mess you about.

Niall Kirwin in Lakelands shooting, Mullingar does Daystate and Webley models - also easy to deal with.

I you need to know anything more, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

The post above is a good review of the fact that there are other rifles out there and that the one that works for you won't necessarily be the one that works for somebody else.

Having said that - there are two HW100's in our household. A .177T-FAC and a .22KT and both of them are surgical. We run JSB exact Heavy & Jumbo in them each respectively.

For field manners though I'd go with the KT-FAC - it leaves you down 5J at full poke over the full length version but the loss of that extra few millimeters makes it a FAR nicer handling rifle if you want to be mobile, whereas the full length version is really only at home shooting from a well positioned hide. I find that it just doesn't settle as well or as quickly as the KT in an unsupported kneeling or sitting position - you really need that something to lean against with it, whereas the KT on the other hand is a real dream to shoot from any position.

Niall Kirwin is the man for Weihrauch so ultimately it'll be well worth the roadtrip to get up to him for a day when you go shopping - he probably has the best selection around on the shelf and you'll be able to handle anything you fancy on a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Kendall Monsoon/Monson is your only man for weihrauch he's in Dun laoighre. Apologies the spelling is woeful, Owner is a shooter called Dave Cooney absolute gent!

extremetaz wrote: »
    The post above is a good review of the fact that there are other rifles out there and that the one that works for you won't necessarily be the one that works for somebody else.

Yes this is the point I was trying to get across. I was fully convinced that I was getting the HW100S. This was based on internet & Magazine reviews, pictures etc. When I had the rifle in my hand and got to shoot it I just knew it wasn't for me so I looked elsewhere and got the AAS510 FAC instead.
    I think the S510 is a great rifle but somebodyelse might pick it up and not like it.
    There are so many excellent PCP rifles out there it just depends on what you classify as being important. If you choose the HW100, I have no doubt will exceed your expectations.
    For field manners though I'd go with the KT-FAC - it leaves you down 5J at full poke over the full length version but the loss of that extra few millimeters makes it a FAR nicer handling rifle if you want to be mobile, whereas the full length version is really only at home shooting from a well positioned hide.

At nearly 200mm between both variants there is a considerable difference. Must agree with the above - I handled the KT version and its very, very comfortable and very pointable but its dog ugly (Sorry to offend all HW owners) - its more a pistol grip than a thumbhole.
    Niall Kirwin is the man for Weihrauch so ultimately it'll be well worth the roadtrip to get up to him for a day when you go shopping - he probably has the best selection around on the shelf and you'll be able to handle anything you fancy on a visit.

Yup, I mentioned that Niall has Webley and Daystate and forgot to mention he also has Weihrauch in both sporter and thumbhole (pistol Grip) versions. He is a sound lad to deal with. Accessibility to lakelands is very good also, about 10mins from junction 4 (Mullingar)on M6 motorway.

• Advertisement

Having said that - there are two HW100's in our household. A .177T-FAC and a .22KT and both of them are surgical. We run JSB exact Heavy & Jumbo in them each respectively.

How does the .17 compare to the 0.22 in FAC in termas of trajectory - is it flatter, more accurate?

Whats the knockdown power like?

My AA is in .22 so just interested in the .17 performance.

Thanks.

The .177 is no more accurate but has a greater MPBR than the .22 owing to it being flatter at any given muzzle energy.
    On the flipside it's not as wind resistant and it is prone to overpenetration so the .22 has far better 'persuasion'.

For fieldwork I'd go for the .22 every time and just take the extra time to get to know your ballistics.
    For targetwork the .177 is the only way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 varmintbill

Before you buy any air rifle take a look at the FX range of guns there serious air rifles, I have the FX gladiator it's deadly accurate with adjustable pose, shooting rabbits out to 50 yds no problem.

Before you buy any air rifle take a look at the FX range of guns there serious air rifles, I have the FX gladiator it's deadly accurate with adjustable pose, shooting rabbits out to 50 yds no problem.

Just out of curiosity, where did you get the FX? Half tempted by the Bobcat.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 varmintbill

amadablam wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, where did you get the FX? Half tempted by the Bobcat.

Bought mine off John Conroy in Portlaois it's the FX Gladiator two cylinders one in the stock the otherin the front 8 shot mag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Reading the forums, there is a lot of debate about accuracy issues in the higher power HW100's. The export models yielding 30ft/lbs come with a polygonal barrel and is 60 cms long. The shot count is pretty low at these levels but you can buy conversion kits to take the bigger buddy bottles. You are then well over a grand so you might as well look at something like a Daystate Airwolf or the FX range.? See www.weihrauchownersforum.com .

This was another concern that I had about the HW100 and another reason that helped me decide against it. However you usually have to draw your own conclusoins from these forums. People tend to focus on the negatives or problems. Its not very often someone will start a thread if they are totally satisfied with something, its more a case when there is a problem they start one. Reading these forums would suggest there are many problems but we arent really hearing from the group who love their Weihrauchs and have no probelms.
    I have an air arms with no problems so far but the AA forums is filled with peopple having problems.

Same can be said for any other brand - they all have their detractors. As I said earlier both of our HW100's are surgical, couldn't be happier with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Same can be said for any other brand - they all have their detractors. As I said earlier both of our HW100's are surgical, couldn't be happier with them.

Agree totally, the lower power ( under 18 ft/lbs ) HW's are tack drivers. Weihrauch have acknowledged that there is a significant problem using 41 cm barrels at higher powers but won't supply the polygonal barrel as an aftermarket fix. Has anyone any idea of the actual power levels of HWs released here ?

Hi. I am thinking of getting a weihrauch hw 100 air rifle but noticed people saying there is "problems" with them. What are these problems? And also what model is best or is it just personal preference. I like the hw100t fsb. Is that a good choice?

• Advertisement

I have my HW100KT a few months now and have had no problems with it.

On Thehuntinglife.com forums I have read about a few problems with barrels, wouldn't put me off though.

If you are buying new there is a gorgeous new laminate stock out for these, check it out!

Okay thanks. Would a longer barrel be a better choice if I was to get an fsb model that's full power?
    Thanks

From what I have read there is no need for the full size/longer barrel, others might disagree.

It would be worth registering on Thehuntinglife forum, loads more info over there.

Okay thanks. I know some people might disagree with long- range air gun hunting but I feel this rifle is powerful enough at 30 fpe to ask. What would be the max you could shoot small game(crows,rabbits) with the fac in .22.
    Thanks

I am only starting out tbh and have only got a couple of rabbits and magpies at around 30 yards.

When I get better and more confident I will push it out further if needed.

Okay thanks. I have a weihrauch hw97k and at the minute and I'm able to take magpies/crows at 40. I want to upgrade to the hw100 as there is pigeons around my house but won't let me get within about 60-70 yards. Just keep practicing until you know your rifle and you are confident in taking long shots. I have my 97k a good while now and I know it well.
    Thanks

Yeah still just getting used to the rifle, scope and trying out different pellets.

Have had little time to get out due to being away with work but I'll have more time in the new year!

Enda17 wrote: »
    Okay thanks. I know some people might disagree with long- range air gun hunting but I feel this rifle is powerful enough at 30 fpe to ask. What would be the max you could shoot small game(crows,rabbits) with the fac in .22.
    Thanks

I shoot a 30ft/lb rifle and although I have not pushed the distance, I know people that have taken crows in excess of 100 yards from a similar setup to mine.

Skill and confidence are probably playing a good part in this.

I remember reading Pete Moore of Shooting Sports magazine taking rabbits at 90 yards with 27ft/lb.

After all, it only takes 5ft/lb of power to take a rabbit with a head shot, well that's the theory anyway :)

amadablam wrote: »
    I shoot a 30ft/lb rifle and although I have not pushed the distance, I know people that have taken crows in excess of 100 yards from a similar setup to mine.

Skill and confidence are probably playing a good part in this.

I remember reading Pete Moore of Shooting Sports magazine taking rabbits at 90 yards with 27ft/lb.

After all, it only takes 5ft/lb of power to take a rabbit with a head shot, well that's the theory anyway :)

Yeah I have seen videos on YouTube of a guy in South Africa shooting a dove in the head at 104 yards, with an air arms S510 xtra fac which has 28ftp. So I would imagine the weihrauch with 30ft, a skilled shooter and practice could do the same. Are the hw100's accurate enough for long range shots?
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Enda17 wrote: »
    Yeah I have seen videos on YouTube of a guy in South Africa shooting a dove in the head at 104 yards, with an air arms S510 xtra fac which has 28ftp. So I would imagine the weihrauch with 30ft, a skilled shooter and practice could do the same. Are the hw100's accurate enough for long range shots?
    Thanks

My s410 puts out 30+ fpe, it all depends on the rifle, pellet chosen, barrel, etc to give you the fpe but the only true way to get it is by trying pellet combination and chrono time to get the best out of the rifle. Quoted fpe from manufacturers is based on a combination of the above. Rifles can exceed that with the right set up but not by much without serious tweaking but they can also fall short of quoted figures.

I've not own a hw100 and I guess it's like anything, we all have our favorite brands in things. I can't see why a hw100 couldn't take the same shot but realistically the majority of air rifle shooters are going to be doing 99% of their shooting well inside 75 yards.

If you feel that the majority of your shooting is above 100 yards, then it might be worth considering a. 22lr.

All you can do is decide on a rifle, spend some time testing it. Invest in a chrono, range finder and wind meter with a good ballistics app and get plenty of time behind the rifle.

The post byHW100S and extremetaz and others before me are very good and knowledgeable.

Advertisement