Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dogs found in Crosserlough (Cavan)

• 21-09-2010 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭

Last Sat morning 2 golden retrievers showed up at out front garden. We live near Kilnaleck in Cavan in a place called Crosserlough. They are both male and are extremely friendly. They hung around the house all day and we decided to feed them as they didnt seem like they were going to leave anytime soon.

We left them outside as we felt that if their owners were looking for them it would be better if they were outside and could be seen.

On top of that we have 2 dogs and 3 cats of our own and to be honest we have not got the room for 2 more dogs inside the house. To get around this we made two beds up in a large shed we have out the back and coaxed the dogs in to it.

However from about midnight on Sat until about 7am Sunday the 2 dogs were howling the place down and I hardly got any sleep. I think they are missing their owners big time so we have put an ad up in the local shop and also rang around a few dog breeders and boarding kennels in the area. So far nobody has claimed them. I dont want to put them in a pound cos I dont want them to be put down if nobody claims them.

My partner thinks they may have been dumped but Im not sure. They both have collars (the same ones) but no id and they are extremely clingy with each other. Where one goes the other goes right by its side

One strange thing about the dogs is that one of the dogs keeps trying to mount the other one. I have never seen this with 2 male dogs before so not sure what is going on there..... perhaps they are gay or is it some other dog trait.

Im hoping that the dogs are chipped so I was planning to bring them down to the local vet to see if they are. Unfortunatley I have at home sick today so not sure if I will get to do that now until tomorrow. We rang the local dog pound but there is a phone message that they are closed until Oct 4th.

I really hope they were not dumped and that their owners are looking frantically for them so I thought I would post a message here on the off chance their owners come onto this site.

One strange thing about the dogs arriving is that they arrived on my birthday :D

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

They could well have been dumped you know, can you see if they are neutered or not?. I would advertise online, I think it's Irishanimals website have a lost and found section, phone the ISPCA and Dogs Trust see what they advise, I've a feeling Dogs Trust won't take from members of the public, I think they might just take from shelters but I'm sure the ISPCA could help, at least they are an 'easily rehomable' breed, I don't mean to sound cold or heartless but if it was Rottie or GSD or other 'restricted breed' you might have more of a prob on your hands trying to rehome them. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭shelly_g

Might be no harm to place details of them on

www.topdog.ie

they have a lost and found section ....

keep us up to date on your progress ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Id put up a few posters also...local vets, supermarket and guarda station.
    ISPCA lost and found

Cavan pound - I.S.P.C.A. Kennels, Legaland, Crossdoney, County Cavan
    Tel: 049 4337545

The "humping" thing is just a dominance issue, even puppies do it. Theyre not "gay" :D

Hope you find their homes. 2 retrievers with collars out wandering by themselves definitely sounds like they legged it out an open gate/door tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

Thanks everybody for the replies. We are going to get an ad put on Northern Sound radio and I have registered with the sites listed here so I can put a message up. I am also going to put some messages on Cavan groups on Facebook.

We were able to get the dogs to the vets last night and one of them is microchipped but unfortunately no details are showing up :confused:

Anyway we got up this morning and the dogs were gone. However they did that yesterday morning and where back before lunch.

I really hope we can find their owners. Its breaking my heart seeing them look in the sitting room window with their big sad eyes. If I could afford to keep them we would but it's really not possible at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Contact http://www.irishretrieverrescue.com/

They might be able to trace the chip even if it's not registered. Sometimes when they are bought in batches the chips can be traced back to a breeder or a vet.

If not then they might be able to help with a fosterer nearby so at least the dogs will be safe.

Don't forget to let the Gardai, Warden and Pound know that you've spotted them just incase someone has reported them missing.

Also post on http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/ and http://www.irishdogs.ie/

Toulouse wrote: »
    Contact http://www.irishretrieverrescue.com/

They might be able to trace the chip even if it's not registered. Sometimes when they are bought in batches the chips can be traced back to a breeder or a vet.

If not then they might be able to help with a fosterer nearby so at least the dogs will be safe.

Don't forget to let the Gardai, Warden and Pound know that you've spotted them just incase someone has reported them missing.

Also post on http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/ and http://www.irishdogs.ie/

Thanks for the info. I have registered on the sites but am just waiting to get the confirmation emails.

I rang the Warden/Pound but they are closed until Oct 4th. I rang the local garda station but got a message that it doesnt open until 3pm :confused:

Thanks to the power of Facebook I may have found the dogs owner. A woman in the village about 3 miles away apparantly lost her dogs on Friday. I had posted a message on a Facebook page and somebody has come back to say that the dogs may be theirs. Hopefully they are

gazzer wrote: »
    Thanks to the power of Facebook I may have found the dogs owner. A woman in the village about 3 miles away apparantly lost her dogs on Friday. I had posted a message on a Facebook page and somebody has come back to say that the dogs may be theirs. Hopefully they are

Fantastic news ...

Really hope it is their owner ...

I have a golden and makes me sad to think of two away from their home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Brilliant! Well done you :)

Please tell her to make sure to register her chip, she may not be aware that it's not registered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Well any further news on this?
    Was this the owner after?

Sorry I didnt reply sooner. My internet was down at home.

Anyway Im delighted to say that the dogs are back home. I was talking to the owners neighbour through Facebook so gave her details of how to get to my house and my phone number.

I got a bit of a fright yesterday when I got home from work at 6 and they were not there. I thought they had run off when it started thundering and lightning so was relieved when the owner rang at 7 to say that she had arrived at the house earlier (we were still in work at this stage) and took the dogs home.

She was delighted to have them home and said that the dogs were fast asleep after their big adventure.

Thanks again everybody for all your information and help.

gazzer wrote: »
    Sorry I didnt reply sooner. My internet was down at home.

Anyway Im delighted to say that the dogs are back home. I was talking to the owners neighbour through Facebook so gave her details of how to get to my house and my phone number.

I got a bit of a fright yesterday when I got home from work at 6 and they were not there. I thought they had run off when it started thundering and lightning so was relieved when the owner rang at 7 to say that she had arrived at the house earlier (we were still in work at this stage) and took the dogs home.

She was delighted to have them home and said that the dogs were fast asleep after their big adventure.

Thanks again everybody for all your information and help.

Great News ..... they were 2 lucky dogs that they had you to look after them and make sure they got home ...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Brilliant...loads of dogs arent as lucky to make it home happy and alive. Well done OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Good news. Hopefully she will now put an id tag on them and get their microchips registered. Simple but effective means of ensuring you are more likely to get your dogs back if they go missing

Vel wrote: »
    Good news. Hopefully she will now put an id tag on them and get their microchips registered. Simple but effective means of ensuring you are more likely to get your dogs back if they go missing

I mentioned that to the lady when she rang so hopefully she will do it.

Advertisement