Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speeding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Caliden wrote: »
    I think he means the triple lane section going past Liffey Valley. The speed limit is 80 and you're putting your life at risk driving that slow on there most of the time.

I do 80 there the whole time and never have an issue. Plenty of lane change and junctions going on, its one of the few sections I agree with the limit. Its 80 from the feeder N4 from Chapelizod and from the various ramps from the M50. Theres no reason to be doing 100 as its not as if you were at 100 and have to slow down. Its just a typical 'Ah its 80, thats stupid blah blah blah' The Garda van also lives there.

I make it about 10km is the longest you could possible have to stay at 80km/h (Say coming from town) So that will take you about 7.5 mins at 80km/h. At 100km/h, you'll do it in about 6 mins.

Is 90 seconds worth €80 and 2 points?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I think he means the triple lane section going past Liffey Valley. The speed limit is 80 and you're putting your life at risk driving that slow on there most of the time.

Life at risk?

Get outta here.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

The biggest issue on that section isnt speed, its middle lane hoggers causing choas.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

ShaunieVW wrote: »
    The biggest issue on that section isnt speed, its middle lane hoggers causing choas.
    Can't you get behind them or overtake them? Or just stay in the left lane not overtaking them? Serious question.
    I agree that they are breaking the rules, but is it really dangerous? What do they do to cause chaos?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

ShaunieVW wrote: »
    The m50 is an 80k zone for some retarded reason...

It's not, 120km/h south of Sandyford, 100km/h north.

And I drive the N4 Liffey Valley outbound every day. I sit in the empty inside lane doing 80-85 as the camera van is a regular visitor. (Always open it up past Leixlip for my sanity, though!)

• Advertisement

Gotham wrote: »
    Can't you get behind them or overtake them? Or just stay in the left lane not overtaking them? Serious question.
    I agree that they are breaking the rules, but is it really dangerous? What do they do to cause chaos?

Around Liffey Valley, not really in my opinion. As you have traffic turning left for Liffey Valley and traffic merging from Liffey Valley. A little beyond that, you have the Foxhunter and Lucan off ramps. So realistically, when its busy and there is merging traffic, the middle lane would be where you'd find yourself most of the time even if you constantly swapped lane 1 to 2. Its probably one of the only places, when its busy, that I would consider the middle lane the correct lane for that section.

Of course in an ideal world with everyone doing 80, there would be no hogging as no one would be in position to overtake you without speeding. The chaos is caused by those hammering up lane 1 and 3 in a desperate effort to be a car or two ahead. I catch most if not all of these by the time I hit the motorway and cruise at 120. The concept of progression and average speed is lost on nearly every irish motorist.
    cjt156 wrote: »
    It's not, 120km/h south of Sandyford, 100km/h north.

And I drive the N4 Liffey Valley outbound every day. I sit in the empty inside lane doing 80-85 as the camera van is a regular visitor. (Always open it up past Leixlip for my sanity, though!)

The very end at the M1 / Malahide interchange is 80km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭dodzy

D Trent wrote: »
    I'd imagine it's the Lucan bypass?
    Fine 3 lane road
    D Trent wrote: »
    You wouldn't be a great maths teacher!

Trent was wrong, on 2 counts. But that's ok. Cause its Trent. And Trent killed his Maths Teacher. BANG BANG! He does that, sometimes, because he can. And he made love to the wife of the Maths teacher at the funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Jawgap wrote: »
    Average salary means half are earning less than that.

Graduated fines were tried in the UK and failed - do you link the fine to disposable income or salary? Individual or household? Do you take account of assets and / or savings? Etc etc

It works brilliantly in Finland, for example; Kimi Raikkonen managed to get a 30.000 Euro fine (yes, 30k) based on his income for...ehm, towing three snowmobiles around a motorway. Don't ask, it's Raikkonen, afterall.

http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/43747

Fines as a fixed amount are bound to be unbalanced; 80 Euro have a very different weight in the pockets of a part time call centre operator in Limerick than in those of a solicitor from D4.

As a fitting example, when I still lived in Italy there was a certain football player you could see going around in his Lambo routinely ignoring traffic bans, pedestrian zones and even going through the toll boots without paying - simply because he could afford to rack up and pay 4000-5000 euro per month in fines. Essentially he was paying his way past the rules, all legal and proper...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

CiniO wrote: »
    Points are deterrent, because cash fines are silly low. Sorry to say that, but in country where average salary is over 30k per annume, fine of €80 is like nothing.

Why would a Motorist, especially on a Petrol Head's Fourm, be looking for higher fines for speeding??? :confused:

They're plenty high as they are. (And I've not got a speeding ticket in around 7 years)

ironclaw wrote: »
    I do 80 there the whole time and never have an issue. Plenty of lane change and junctions going on, its one of the few sections I agree with the limit. Its 80 from the feeder N4 from Chapelizod and from the various ramps from the M50. Theres no reason to be doing 100 as its not as if you were at 100 and have to slow down. Its just a typical 'Ah its 80, thats stupid blah blah blah' The Garda van also lives there. I make it about 10km is the longest you could possible have to stay at 80km/h (Say coming from town) So that will take you about 7.5 mins at 80km/h. At 100km/h, you'll do it in about 6 mins.Is 90 seconds worth €80 and 2 points?

I think the point is that its a ridiculous speed limit to have on that stretch. Whether or not he should chance breaking it is another thing altogether.
    Gotham wrote: »

Are you for real?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't object to higher fines on regional/local roads. And a bit more enforcement would be nice.

Mycroft H wrote: »
    I wouldn't object to higher fines on regional/local roads. And a bit more enforcement would be nice.

I'll never understand that tbh. This is the last Board I'd have expected people to be looking for more speed cameras and vans etc.

Don't you think that the enforcement at the moment is a bit of a farce considering that they set up shop in the places where there's been little or no accidents but where they can catch bucket loads of people because the speed limit is ridiculously slow?

An example would be at the top of Exit 16 on the M50 Southbound (Cherrywood). You come to the top of the ramp, go left down a two lane road and the speed limit is 60 (37mph), and they're always hiding in the lay by trying to do people who might be creeping over it. Its a joke mate.

And you want more of that!! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Jesus. wrote: »
    I'll never understand that tbh. This is the last Board I'd have expected people to be looking for more speed cameras and vans etc.

Don't you think that the enforcement at the moment is a bit of a farce considering that they set up shop in the places where there's been little or no accidents but where they can catch bucket loads of people because the speed limit is ridiculously slow?

An example would be at the top of Exit 16 on the M50 Southbound (Cherrywood). You come to the top of the ramp, go left down a two lane road and the speed limit is 60 (37mph), and they're always hiding in the lay by trying to do people who might be creeping over it. Its a joke mate.

And you want more of that!! :confused:

I think it's a bit like the cycling forum - *most* law abiding cyclists welcome proper, objective, safety-oriented enforcement of the laws. Likewise, I think most motorists wouldn't object to a rationally structured programme of speed enforcement if the sites were chosen to boost safety and the speed limits in certain locations had an air of rationality about them.

In my own case, at a community policing forum we once asked the local sergeant if he could ask the Traffic lads to relocate their habitual speed trap to be closer to the local school. His response was telling - he said that if they did that they wouldn't catch people heading for the motorway!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Why would a Motorist, especially on a Petrol Head's Fourm, be looking for higher fines for speeding??? :confused:

They're plenty high as they are. (And I've not got a speeding ticket in around 7 years)

I think his point was that with the average salary in Ireland an 80 euro compared to other countries is very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

Are you for real?
    Yes, what do they do to cause chaos? Surely someone who is driving aggressively, overtaking them, undertaking them, or flashing them has more of a chance of causing chaos. Especially if we assume they are traveling at near the speed limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Someone said that the Lucan bypass (N4) is safe to do 120 on??

It's not. I think statistics have shown it's the second busiest road in the country after the m50. The n4 can come to a hault in seconds if there is any kind of incident on the m50 or further up the road on the N4. You might see this when 30 meters away in heavy traffic. Anyone fancy trying to stop safely while doing 120 on a wet surface?

Whatever about being a few KMPH over, being the like of 50 over is pure reckless.

I'd say a fairer punishment would be to make these lunatics do the test again taking the 12 lessons. Much more constructive than 2 points and a fine.

Someone said that the Lucan bypass (N4) is safe to do 120 on??

It's not. I think statistics have shown it's the second busiest road in the country after the m50. The n4 can come to a hault in seconds if there is any kind of incident on the m50 or further up the road on the N4. You might see this when 30 meters away in heavy traffic. Anyone fancy trying to stop safely while doing 120 on a wet surface?

Whatever about being a few KMPH over, being the like of 50 over is pure reckless.

I'd say a fairer punishment would be to make these lunatics do the test again taking the 12 lessons. Much more constructive than 2 points and a fine.

Well that's just obvious .. I wouldn't barrel down the A57 to Dusseldorf at 150km/h in the lashing rain + heavy traffic either.

You wouldn't Keith.

How many others would though? That's why we have such "unfaif" deterents such as speed camers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Woodpecker1

Do you think as you get older your attitude to speeding changes?

My attitude certainly has. That with an over protective father instinct.

Knocking on the door of 40 years old now.
    I still attend Mondello track days in bangers and can put in a decent lap time.

But these days on the road, I rarely, if ever go over a posted limit.

I know that well and 60km/h is appropriate. Firstly, its less than 600m long at best and secondly, chances are if you exit from either the north or southbound, your going to be stopped at the lights at the tamps. So are you have to start, accelerate, reach 80km/h and then hit the brakes for a reasonably big roundabout into the Cherrywood estate area. All in the space of 600m or so.

What difference would 20km/h make there? Its seconds. 36s versus 27s actually. So 10 seconds between the two limits, and thats assuming no time for acceleration etc. Net effect, you saving nothing.

I'm all for good progression and safe speed. But in a built up area one bad overtake or light chance will cost you ten times that. And the Gardai are always there. Granted the motives are probably skewed but its a wide, safe, open 60km/h road but you can easily see them if you look. If you get caught there, your frankly an idiot.

• Advertisement

You wouldn't Keith.

How many others would though? That's why we have such "unfaif" deterents such as speed camers etc.

Point was if its not raining or busy the Lucan bypass is completely fine to do 120km/h on.

You're inventing a situation to try and make your point correct in all scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Do you think as you get older your attitude to speeding changes?

My attitude certainly has. That with an over protective father instinct.

Knocking on the door of 40 years old now.
    I still attend Mondello track days in bangers and can put in a decent lap time.

But these days on the road, I rarely, if ever go over a posted limit.

Depends on the person. I've seen older men in what I would class as family wagons (mpv's / minivans / whatever you call them) and they drive like absolute lunatics. It's probably their pent up testosterone (you've an outlet via Mondello).

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Woodpecker1

Depends on the person. I've seen older men in what I would class as family wagons (mpv's / minivans / whatever you call them) and they drive like absolute lunatics. It's probably their pent up testosterone (you've an outlet via Mondello).

Well maybe. it gives one an upper hand for sure having access to a track. (anyone can go there). When I see some ejit fly up the inside of me on the road, I rest assured that if I met him on the proper place of speed, I would hand him his ass on a plate and send him home to his mammy with a ball of scrap. :D

Point was if its not raining or busy the Lucan bypass is completely fine to do 120km/h on.

You're inventing a situation to try and make your point correct in all scenarios.

Keith can you read my post re the lucan by pass please?

It can be flowing fine one second and then come to a complete stop in a second.

So would you like a speed limit sign saying: If it's dry and quiet do 120kmph, but if it's wet and busy do 80kmph.

Variable speed limits are nothing new. In France the speed limits on the Autoroute's drops in the rain down to 100 as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Variable speed limits are nothing new. In France the speed limits on the Autoroute's drops in the rain down to 100 as far as I remember.

yep. 130 km/hr in the dry for a Motorway,. Depending on the road, speed limits are lowered to 80, 100, and 110 km/h.

Do they have as much chancers your people who would abuse the system in France?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Keith can you read my post re the lucan by pass please?

It can be flowing fine one second and then come to a complete stop in a second.

So would you like a speed limit sign saying: If it's dry and quiet do 120kmph, but if it's wet and busy do 80kmph.

If it comes to a complete stop all of a sudden you need to be paying more attention to what's further in front of you rather than the car directly in front.

If it comes to a complete stop all of a sudden you need to be paying more attention to what's further in front of you rather than the car directly in front.

Agree Caliden, but hard to do on a flat surface in bumper to bumper traffic. Probably why precautions are needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cmore123

I was done for well over the odds, 100mph on the motorway. Got 2 points, a fine, and the lecture of my life from the guard...... (Fair enough, hands up...)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement