Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice on best route Galway to Belfast?

• 14-08-2012 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi guys going to Belfast next Monday and looking for advice on the best route to go.

I know the motorway is easier but you hit so many tolls and it is boring so was think I might go Athlone - Cavan - Monaghan take that route.

What you guys think?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Cost of fuel would be cheaper on a motorway and safer, lots of farmers using back roads, cutting silage

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

My sister done the cross country route before via Athlone and Cavan and it's hard going at times. If you took a cross country the N 55 from Kilbeggan to Dundalk is a short cut but a poor road for the most part. The M 4, M 50 and M 1 will be quicker but you have 4 toll plaza's en route.

You could also try the N 17 to Sligo and head onwards via the N 16/A 4 across the border into Enniskillen; it's patchy in places and you have Claregalway and Tuam to pass through but the N 17 is generally quite good beyond Ballindine. The road over the border is a straight run and grand once you pass Enniskillen and it becomes the M 1 (NI) around Dungannon.

@Doom, fuel bills are generally higher on motorways per mile as engine rev's are higher due to the better road layouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭richfly

I drove to Monaghan couple years ago and from what I remember it wasn't to bad but what is the road like after Monaghan?

Sligo way is a no go don't like that drive and trying to avoid the tolls.

So I suppose it leave's me with 2 options turn of at Athlone or Mullingar.

Advertisement