Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Medicine333

Paralysis wrote: »
    It just says "registration has closed" :(

It's mocking us!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Paralysis

It's mocking us!!!!

Now my computer won't even recognise it! It's so tempting to believe that that's because the results are going up early haha

Now my computer won't even recognise it! It's so tempting to believe that that's because the results are going up early haha

It's hard not to be paranoid in this situation:pac: I had my CAO account up yesterday and kept refreshing it:(

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

HPAT is back next year, apparently.

0mega wrote: »
    HPAT is back next year, apparently.

Link?

• Advertisement

Link?

I went to Maynooth yesterday for a talk in the university there and the woman giving the one for medicine (from RCSI) says that the guidance departments would've have to been informed by now if it wasn't going ahead, so that we should start having a look at it now. No confirmation yet, which is why I said apparently. :P

It's hard not to be paranoid in this situation:pac: I had my CAO account up yesterday and kept refreshing it:(

I think I may just give that a go now...

0mega wrote: »
    I went to Maynooth yesterday for a talk in the university there and the woman giving the one for medicine (from RCSI) says that the guidance departments would've have to been informed by now if it wasn't going ahead, so that we should start having a look at it now. No confirmation yet, which is why I said apparently. :P

I wouldn't read too much into that. They're not going to tell them until they carry out the full review and that isn't complete yet. Also, they will wait on how the percentiles go this year before they make a decision.
    I think I may just give that a go now...

No, don't do it Paralysis! I can just imagine you in 12 hours-bleary-eyed and unblinking, refreshing the page over and over again until you cause the CAO site to crash and you're mistaken for a hacker!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

Now that the orals are finished I have nothing to distract myself from HPAT results. Complete and utter carnage.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭brownstone

How exactly do we get our results? I know its online but?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

email with link, then you put in your email address and candidate id (for hpat) and u get a pdf of your score.

brownstone wrote: »
    How exactly do we get our results? I know its online but?

You get an e-mail with a link to a page where you have to put in your Candidate I.D. and password!

Don't worry, it will be very clear to you in the e-mail:)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭brownstone

Oh thank you :)

How's everyone feeling about it? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 40 drbtrenier

Terrified... That's pretty much it! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭skinny malinky

Same way I feel about death: it's inevitable and we can only pray there's life after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭spasmaster

id say if you got over the 80th percentile you'd get galway. over 85th you might get tcd.

spasmaster wrote: »
    id say if you got over the 80th percentile you'd get galway. over 85th you might get tcd.

Well, I think it's pointless talking about percentiles because we don't know how many points to which it corresponds. Also, how many L.C. points you get is important also.

You'll drive yourself nuts calculating what percentile you'll need!

Anyone going to attept to guess their scores ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I can't bring myself to :P

Is it possible to get a minus score? :D

• Advertisement

Well, I think it's pointless talking about percentiles because we don't know how many points to which it corresponds. Also, how many L.C. points you get is important also.

You'll drive yourself nuts calculating what percentile you'll need!

ok, you at least need 80th percentile then.

ok, you at least need 80th percentile then.

Not necessarily, but I see your reasoning there. Some people might get very high HPAT scores but fail to do as well in the L.C.

Hence, they're no longer considered for Medicine because they haven't enough points.

Don't want to pressurise anyone but I think h-pat will be more important this year than ever. The 25 extra points for Maths are gonna push a heap of people into the 550-565 group (and remember people from previous years can add 25 points to their scores too) so the h-pat will determine who gets in.

Someone with 520 in the LC could beat someone with 600, if he/she got for example 21 points higher in the h-pat and did higher level Maths (520+25+21 > 565). All seems a bit ridiculous to me.

My advice would be that you can't change your h-pat score now so focus on getting as high in your LC as is physically possible, without stressing too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 drbtrenier

No way... of course in my head I like to be hopeful, but there's no way I'm saying anthing to anyone about my hopeful score in case I'm horribly wrong since it's so hard to judge!

Did anyone here do any mock exams for the HPAT, through ********, grinds schools etc? If so, are the scores in any way compatible to the real thing (repeat students especially)? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 nomnomnomnom

i did ******** and got 85th percentile... really interested to see how that corresponds with the real thing...

drbtrenier wrote: »
    No way... of course in my head I like to be hopeful, but there's no way I'm saying anthing to anyone about my hopeful score in case I'm horribly wrong since it's so hard to judge!

Did anyone here do any mock exams for the HPAT, through ********, grinds schools etc? If so, are the scores in any way compatible to the real thing (repeat students especially)? :)

Hmmm that would be interesting, because I did med entry and got predicted 95th to 100th percentile, but I Highly doubt I'll get anywhere near that in the real thing! I'm just praying I scrape in!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

Enough for Science in Trinity hopefully. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I wonder what the correlation between IQ scores and HPAT scores is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

I was predicted 70-80th percentile with med-entry. I wouldn't pay much heed to that though. The med-entry practise test section 1 was very heavy on the maths, stats, and probabilities, whereas this years hpat had pretty much no questions of that type at all, so I don't think they are even comparable.

In some of their practise tests I was 100th percentile, in others I was 30-40th percentile. It's all down to how you performed on the day, or more importantly, how you did compared to everyone else. Speculating is nothing better than complete guesswork, many overconfidants will be eating humble pie in two days time..

• Advertisement

I'm not doing my HPAT until next year, but good luck to you all anyway. I can't imagine how nerve-wrecking this is going to be..

Advertisement