Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v2.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

greecy_joe wrote: »
    home help should not be cut but the state pension is extremley generous in this country , rather than cut the pension , 75 euro should be deducted each week in order to cover the cost of employing home help , the goverment can subsidise the rest
    €75 is an awful lot of money :eek:

The elderly have expenses too. I'm just thinking of my own Granny, she lives in a modest home but she has had to re-wire it, re-roof and insulate her home in the last few years which was a very expensive exercise.

She has free travel but she lives in Clare so public transport is very poor so she never uses her travel pass. She has lots of medical issues so she would also spent alot on health services that are not provided by the HSE. Like the rest of us she has to pay for home insurance, fuel, utilities and groceries.

* I'm aware of the fact she would have a fuel allowance and some free units of electricity but she uses alot of fuel as she is on Warfin and a side effect of this is that she is extremely cold alot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

i understand the borrowers bit but what have you in mind for savers ?

Something like 50% return or there abouts what the rate the bank is lending their money out to borrowers, would seem fair based on them just giving out the money they are taking in with minimal work inbetween.

• Site Banned Posts: 69 ✭✭greecy_joe

That is a lot of money g-j.......that would stress any pensioners head..........They are terrified about rises in everything.........That would put sheer terror the thought of it.....

SNAP MRSD!

the pensioners are nowhere near the shrinking violets many make them out to be , if they were , the goverment wouldnt fear them like they do

the pension in ireland is double what it is in the uk and the added benefits are more generous too , therefore their is no reason why a deduction for home help is unaffordable , call it a joint public - private effort

These American correspondents are so chirpy :D

MrsD007 wrote: »
    €75 is an awful lot of money :eek:

The elderly have expenses too. I'm just thinking of my own Granny, she lives in a modest home but she has had to re-wire it, re-roof and insulate her home in the last few years which was a very expensive exercise.

She has free travel but she lives in Clare so public transport is very poor so she never uses her travel pass. She has lots of medical issues so she would also spent alot on health services that are not provided by the HSE. Like the rest of us she has to pay for home insurance, fuel, utilities and groceries.

* I'm aware of the fact she would have a fuel allowance and some free units of electricity but she uses alot of fuel as she is on Warfin and a side effect of this is that she is extremely cold alot of the time.

fuel and utilities are subsidised for pensioners , the public health system provide all the same services which private providers offer and pensioners are always moved along the quee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I can't understand why anyone would want to vote for Romney. The man is an idiot. A rich idiot but still an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

the pensioners are nowhere near the shrinking violets many make them out to be , if they were , the goverment wouldnt fear them like they do

the pension in ireland is double what it is in the uk and the added benefits are more generous too , therefore their is no reason why a deduction for home help is unaffordable , call it a joint public - private effort

A lot of things cost double here what they do in the UK, there's no relevance in that comparison whatsoever other than to contrast cost of living.

As well as that, the UK's social policies are more commonly used as an example of what not to do.

Something like 50% return or there abouts what the rate the bank is lending their money out to borrowers, would seem fair based on them just giving out the money they are taking in with minimal work inbetween.

banks in ireland pay extremley high rates of interest compared to their counterparts in europe and the usa , you get less than 1% on savings with american banks theese days , the irish banks are so desperate for funds , they have had to hike payments to savers

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I'm guessing you're not "old".............:(

Kurz wrote: »
    A lot of things cost double here what they do in the UK, there's no relevance in that comparison whatsoever other than to contrast cost of living.

As well as that, the UK's social policies are more commonly used as an example of what not to do.

the cost of living is no more than 10% higher in the uk than here , its much higher in the south east of england than here and besides , the state pension in the uk is 102 pound per week , for a couple its 170 , for a couple here , its either 219 by two or 230 by two

• Advertisement

Kurz wrote: »

I agree completely, Ireland may offer higher social welfare rates than the UK but the UK provide better services to their citizens.

Better public transport
    Everyone in the UK has free access to NHS doctors and medicines
    Better childcare provision

fuel and utilities are subsidised for pensioners , the public health system provide all the same services which private providers offer and pensioners are always moved along the quee
    These have been cut in previous budgets.

Me and VB..............Die Hards......................It take's real men to stay up to watch the Debate.......

Wouldn't you think the young ones would have least made an effort - even to make a comment??????

(If you knew you were going to be the telly???)

I'm guessing you're not "old".............:(

mid thirties and very much aware that when i reach the age of sixty eight , whats waiting for me will be nowhere near as generous as what those of that age recieve today , any young person nowadays should prioritise buying a private pension above everything else , including buying a house

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

FF second most popular party.
    Depressing state of Irish politics.

Maybe when our politicians pay themselves salaries commensurate with their counterparts in the UK, then they might have some sort of mandate to take a look at the rest of the social welfare rates.

I agree completely, Ireland may offer higher social welfare rates than the UK but the UK provide better services to their citizens.

Better public transport
    Everyone in the UK has free access to NHS doctors and medicines
    Better childcare provision

health is free to anyone on social wellfare here which includes pensioners , child benefit is much higher here than in the uk , you cant have it everyway

Good Lord, some people have very short memories in this country :mad:

Maybe when our politicians pay themselves salaries commensurate with their counterparts in the UK, then they might have some sort of mandate to take a look at the rest of the social welfare rates.

never heard that one before

I can't understand why anyone would want to vote for Romney. The man is an idiot. A rich idiot but still an idiot.

i wouldnt vote for him but how is he an idiot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Exactly, if the choice was themselves, Bin Laden, Gareth Glitter or James Saville they still wouldn't get my vote.

mid thirties and very much aware that when i reach the age of sixty eight , whats waiting for me will be nowhere near as generous as what those of that age recieve today , any young person nowadays should prioritise buying a private pension above everything else , including buying a house

Basic rights would be a nice starter for Carers.

never heard that one before

When Dermot Ahern was talking about bringing welfare rates in line with Northern Ireland he was conveniently forgetting that his salary and expenses and his obscene pay off was multiples more than a UK MP would receive. I realise your response was nothing more than a glib remark but it's a case of "Do as we say, not as we do" when it comes to Irish politicians. They're a bunch of hypocrites.

When Dermot Ahern was talking about bringing welfare rates in line with Northern Ireland he was conveniently forgetting that his salary and expenses and his obscene pay off was multiples more than a UK MP would receive. I realise your response was nothing more than a glib remark but it's a case of "Do as we say, not as we do" when it comes to Irish politicians. They're a bunch of hypocrites.

a glib reply is about fitting for a cliched unoriginal line about cutting politicans pay , if politicans worked for minimum wage , thier would still be thousands , steadfastly opposed to cuts to the pension , its a meaningless point

i wouldnt vote for him but how is he an idiot

Would you seriously vote for a man who uses the expression "binders full of women"? :rolleyes:

I have a feeling that Minister James Reilly/Minister Joan Burton have been on this thread tonight ;)

a glib reply is about fitting for a cliched unoriginal line about cutting politicans pay , if politicans worked for minimum wage , thier would still be thousands , steadfastly opposed to cuts to the pension , its a meaningless point

That's your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Can we change the thread title to Tonight with Richard Boyd Barrett?

Would you seriously vote for a man who uses the expression "binders full of women"? :rolleyes:

i didnt watch the debate , all i heard was that obama showed up this time

• Advertisement

I have a feeling that Minister James Reilly/Minister Joan Burton have been on this thread tonight ;)

Would they have been as greasy as to do that do you think MrsD????????

Might have a burger drenched in oil and greasy chips tonight............yum yum......:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement