Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nitelink Changes Announced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

KD345 wrote: »
    But you could manage just as well with a regular late night 66, 145 or 41. An empty bus traveling in from Bray costs money, if a 145 picked up a handful of people returning to the city at Bray/Stillorgan/Donnybrook it would be more profitable than what is currently in place.

Absolutely. I've always been in favour of regular routes running later.

If Michael O'Leary ran DB there'd be no such thing As Serbhís either.

robd wrote: »
    Unfortunately he is right. 80% of people do better out of a taxi. Public services are aimed at those 80% not the 20%. For the other 20% it's tough luck. The only area where this is changed is in provision of services for the disabled where we are clearly and rightly catering for a minority.
    There are a lot public service transport schemes in this country. Plenty of rural routes that are servicing skeleton populations, school bus routes, and so on.

On the flip side to the provision of affordable transport to citizens there are also thousands of city centre private businesses that benefit from these customers. Businesses that provide employment and pay plenty of rates and taxes back to the state.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

n97 mini wrote: »
    While Brighton puts us to shame, I don't think their system is quite that good. Afaik, only 2 routes are 24/7, and the pricing varies.

Its the size of Cork. Scale that up to Dublin and there'd be 8-10 24/7 routes which is enough.

46A, 41, 25, one to Tallaght, one to Finglas, one to Blanch, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

There are a lot public service transport schemes in this country. Plenty of rural routes that are servicing skeleton populations, school bus routes, and so on.

On the flip side to the provision of affordable transport to citizens there are also thousands of city centre private businesses that benefit from these customers. Businesses that provide employment and pay plenty of rates and taxes back to the state.

You're completely missing the point. You can't take all transport as one and then say that sure that's the 20%. Rural and Urban are totally different. Individually neither of them cater for 100%. They individually try there best to cater for the 80%.

You're completely missing the point. You can't take all transport as one and then say that sure that's the 20%. Rural and Urban are totally different. Individually neither of them cater for 100%. They individually try there best to cater for the 80%.

I'm not sure what your point is tbh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Absolutely. I've always been in favour of regular routes running later.

If Michael O'Leary ran DB there'd be no such thing As Serbhís either.

You will be shocked to hear that airlines, including Ryanair, do have to fly planes empty and out of service a fair bit. There are times when it makes more sense to run a plane or a bus empty to get it somewhere where it's more needed or more versed to make money for it's company.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

well that's one of the benefits of the annual bus pass down the swanny! getting from Dun Laoghaire to Dalkey's going to be a pain now.
    The last few times I used the 46n it wasn't too busy after DL but still annoying as it's a PSO funded service, presumably DB are going to improve services elsewhere to make up for this????

Sharing a taxi isn't an option for everyone when their mates live in different parts of the city.

You will be shocked to hear that airlines, including Ryanair, do have to fly planes empty and out of service a fair bit.
    I'm well aware Ryanair do this.
    There are times when it makes more sense to run a plane or a bus empty to get it somewhere where it's more needed or more versed to make money for it's company.
    And there are plenty of times when it doesn't make sense for DB to be running buses empty. I don't think anyone thinks DB is a shining light of efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Unfortunately he is right. 80% of people do better out of a taxi. Public services are aimed at those 80% not the 20%.

Can you back those claims of yours up with statisics?

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Can you back those claims of yours up with statisics?

I'm referring to a Pareto distribution (80:20 rule).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_distribution

http://www.irishscientist.ie/2001/contents.asp?contentxml=01p161a.xml&contentxsl=IS01pages.xsl

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

I can't help but think we wouldn't be having this discussion if Ireland's draconian licensing laws and dreadful system of taxi (de)regulation were not put in place.

Instead of investing in an excellent night bus service pre de-regulation the powers that be decided to pump our cities full of taxis that we don't really need. To make matters worse the licensing laws ensure that there is only an hours window overnight (2.30am to 3.30am) in which it is possible for taxi or bus companies to make a profit/break even.

As usual we have an Irish solution to a problem that doesn't actually exist:rolleyes:!

So you don't actually have the case to back up your claim that you made about the Nitelink service then? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Does anyone know the exact route the 7N takes? For some reason the DB site doesn't seem to have the bus stops served for the nitelinks only the daytime buses.

Trying to figure out where my nearest bus stop will be following the decision to stop the 46N from stopping outside my door.

And there are plenty of times when it doesn't make sense for DB to be running buses empty. I don't think anyone thinks DB is a shining light of efficiency.

The easy bit is saying that we need them; we all know it's a desirable service. The problem is ensuring that there are enough buses on the road at any one time to cover timetables sufficiently as well as making it economic, if not profitable. Nitelinks may take a labourious route on some routes getting punters home but they usually run into town via a quicker route to make their turnaround quicker. For them to run home back the same route means extra buses to bridge the gap along with extra drivers and hence extra costs overall with minimal realistic returns; this on a service that is barely bone enough as it is.

A possible way to move forward is for the main Network Direct routes to take on late night services in and out of town; that way there is dependable ways into and out of town on regular routes which will get most people within a few KM of home; however even this is years away until the revisions are sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

A possible way to move forward is for the main Network Direct routes to take on late night services in and out of town; that way there is dependable ways into and out of town on regular routes which will get most people within a few KM of home; however even this is years away until the revisions are sorted out.

I would suggest that introducing 24 hour trunk-route operation is one of the easiest and most desireable improvements to the general Bus Service which DB could investigate.

All of the necessary elements are already in-place,save for a bit of managerial interest and enthusiasm.

Why not try it out....????

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

TFor them to run home back the same route means extra buses to bridge the gap along with extra drivers and hence extra costs overall with minimal realistic returns;
    Hmm, not sure I agree with that. Take the 67N. The run takes no more than 45 mins yet services are 2 hours apart. The driver has time for a decent kip between runs, and therefore has plenty of time to pick up on the way back.

66N runs every 30 mins. Run takes 35 minutes, meaning at least 3 buses required to run it, meaning the driver has an hour and a half to do just over an hour's work. Again plenty of time for pick ups.

I'm only arguing the toss here really. In the list of things I find wrong with the Nitelink "service" the running of buses As Serbhís back into the city centre is near the bottom.

Hmm, not sure I agree with that. Take the 67N. The run takes no more than 45 mins yet services are 2 hours apart. The driver has time for a decent kip between runs, and therefore has plenty of time to pick up on the way back.

66N runs every 30 mins. Run takes 35 minutes, meaning at least 3 buses required to run it, meaning the driver has an hour and a half to do just over an hour's work. Again plenty of time for pick ups.

I'm only arguing the toss here really. In the list of things I find wrong with the Nitelink "service" the running of buses As Serbhís back into the city centre is near the bottom.

Does your Nitelink telepath itself back into Dublin again? ;) You need llow time inwards into the city again as well; if it's picking up inwards you need to allow time for this as well which isn't as practical on one route as it is on another. Drivers also are picking up buses before your first 67N and they need time afterwards to return their buses back to garages; time is also needed for a rostered break for as well (You don't want a tired driver, do you? :) ) There may also be a issue with ticket sales out of town as outlying areas won't have many 24 hour shops selling tickets, it will be cash or nothing for most passengers.

Point being, it's not as simple as turn around and pick up on the way back in. The need for a service both ways late on is valid though and it needs to be looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Buses in this country need to be privatised; if this isn't proof of that I don't know what is.

Any routes that need to be sustained and that aren't profitable can be looked at on a case by case basis and if there's going to be people dramatically put out then they can be subvented. But not on the scale it is at present.

Does your Nitelink telepath itself back into Dublin again? ;) You need llow time inwards into the city again as well;
    Read my post again. 45 hours to do a run, by 2, gives 90 minutes, on a service that runs every 120 mins.

It's simple to pick up on the return leg. Brighton's night buses run full service routes. It's only DB that make it hard.

45 hours to do a run,

:eek::eek::eek:

Where you going? :D

• Advertisement

Read my post again. 45 hours to do a run, by 2, gives 90 minutes, on a service that runs every 120 mins.

It's simple to pick up on the return leg. Brighton's night buses run full service routes. It's only DB that make it hard.

I did read it but you don't appreciate that there are more factors at play than just a round trip being arbitrary for the other routes at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭munkifisht

Clowns! Flipping Clowns are running Dublin Bus (I know this because I know a few of them). The major issue with cutting bus services is that the economic effects are not limited to the bus services. A publicly run bus service should not exist to make money, nor should any public service. If a public service is capable of making money it should be open to free competition. The problem is in this country we see any and every public service as a loss making operation. This is not in fact the case.

The major benefit buses provide, other than providing essential services to those with no other means of transport, is that they boost productivity and turnover by
    A) getting customers to and from places of business
    B) removing unnecessary cars and vehicles from the road

This provides as boost in overall revenue, increasing GDP. There is also the social aspect. As Dublin is a sprawling metropolis many people live on the fringes and can only meet many of their friends by travelling into town (I include myself in this category).

This of course is not saying that any spending should be done frivolously, but every time services are looked at the wider implications need to be considered. If nitelink services are cut (which I believe they will be) the effect on publicans in town, and those who work in town late at night will be devastating. For myself the effect would be similar. I for one would find it very hard to justify meeting my friends and spending €50 getting home by taxi every weekend. I do not have many friends where I live, and none I would consider drinking buddies. My social life would effectively cease. I am sure I am not the only one who would be in this situation.

If I were minister for transport (and pray that one day I am, then this country will work) I would slash not increase bus fares, increase services, make the bus a feasible transport solution to many who refuse to use it, remove more cars from the road, improve the environment, save the cheerleader, save the world.

I did read it but you don't appreciate that there are more factors at play than just a round trip being arbitrary for the other routes at all times.
    Look, the only reason it isn't done is because they don't want to make the changes and do it.

munkifisht wrote: »
    The major benefit buses provide, other than providing essential services to those with no other means of transport, is that they boost productivity and turnover by

This provides as boost in overall revenue,

Well said munkifisht.

munkifisht wrote: »
    Clowns! Flipping Clowns are running Dublin Bus (I know this because I know a few of them). The major issue with cutting bus services is that the economic effects are not limited to the bus services. A publicly run bus service should not exist to make money, nor should any public service.

B) removing unnecessary cars and vehicles from the road

This provides as boost in overall revenue, increasing GDP. There is also the social aspect. As Dublin is a sprawling metropolis many people live on the fringes and can only meet many of their friends by travelling into town (I include myself in this category).

This of course is not saying that any spending should be done frivolously, but every time services are looked at the wider implications need to be considered. If nitelink services are cut (which I believe they will be) the effect on publicans in town, and those who work in town late at night will be devastating. For myself the effect would be similar. I for one would find it very hard to justify meeting my friends and spending €50 getting home by taxi every weekend. I do not have many friends where I live, and none I would consider drinking buddies. My social life would effectively cease. I am sure I am not the only one who would be in this situation.

If I were minister for transport (and pray that one day I am, then this country will work) I would slash not increase bus fares, increase services, make the bus a feasible transport solution to many who refuse to use it, remove more cars from the road, improve the environment, save the cheerleader, save the world.

Well said Monkifisht.

I note your familiarlty with Circus folk,may I ask if any of these Clowns are associated with the Network Direct Troupe ?

You see,as a DB driver,I see on a daily basis,something which my senior managerial staff do not.....the faces of my customers.

I also have interaction which my managers do not...I hear my customers.....they tell me conversationally,of their ill`s,their joy`s,their fears and their expectations for their futures and that of their families and friends.

This primal level of interaction is not something understood by the Statisticians or Surveyors who provided the raw data upon which Network Direct was based.

Even subsequent to what amounted to the vandalization of much of the N11 corridor`s services the Network Direct Troupe continued to rely on "Stats" to provide the confirmation that their Emperor was fully clothed,when a brief chat with some of those queuing would have proven the opposite.

Recessions and Depressions should be the very time when PUBLIC Transport comes into it`s own.

Right now,we in Dublin Bus should be in the ascendant,as the reality comes to bear that multiple private car ownership and use in single households is no longer sustainable.

Instead,just as the private-car starts to lose it`s primacy,we take our assets and sell them off in some insane adherence to principles devised by Accountancy Consultants,many of which contributed in no small way to the current financial mess to begin with !!

Oh well...Bring on the Clowns.... :mad:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Right now,we in Dublin Bus should be in the ascendant
    I couldn't disagree more. I agree that public transport should be, but not Dublin Bus. Sack the management and get rid of the unions first, add in a good dose of deregulation, and then we'll talk.

I couldn't disagree more. I agree that public transport should be, but not Dublin Bus. Sack the management and get rid of the unions first, add in a good dose of deregulation, and then we'll talk.

Hmmmm..interesting,if somewhat dated, vision of Public Transport nirvana...particularly the "dose of deregulation" bit.

I`m afraid the preoccupation with some notion that Unions hold some huge degree of power is equally outdated and a red-herring if ever there was one.

Which leaves us with Sacking the Management,not something I would have been generally in favour of prior to Network Direct.....However events since September 17th 2010 have been so poorly administered that even I am reconsidering my opinions :(

Hmmmm..interesting,if somewhat dated, vision of Public Transport nirvana...particularly the "dose of deregulation" bit.
    I don't agree!
    I`m afraid the preoccupation with some notion that Unions hold some huge degree of power is equally outdated and a red-herring if ever there was one.

I worked in the PS until recently. The management did an outsourcing deal meaning staff had considerably less work to do. The unions wanted more money in exchange for agreeing to the changed work practices. They didn't get it, but they got other perks including extra annual leave.

But that's neither here nor there. I don't think anyone feels the management and unions are doing a good job at running DB, or CIE for that matter.

I don't agree!

I worked in the PS until recently. The management did an outsourcing deal meaning staff had considerably less work to do. The unions wanted more money in exchange for agreeing to the changed work practices. They didn't get it, but they got other perks including extra annual leave.

The PS ain`t Dublin Bus,thats for sure.....remember DB never came within Bertie`s "Benchmarking" scam and all that it brought with it.

Every bit of outsourcing within Dublin Bus has been accompanied by a swift reduction of it`s own workforce,particularly in the Maintenance and Administration sectors.

Allied to this was the deferral of the wage increase due under the last element of the "Sustaining Progress" deal,a paymernt which is now unlikely ever to be made.

However what the "Unions" did agree to within Dublin Bus was the introduction of new working conditions with lower wage rates for new staff and new rostering arrangements.

In addition we now have full acceptance of many new-technological working arrangements which not too long ago would have merited work-to-rules or strikes for sure.

This and other examples of DB staff accepting change without the former time-honoured confrontation is,i`m afraid at variance with the perception of some PS Union dominated entity.

• Advertisement

The PS ain`t Dublin Bus,thats for sure....
    The same unions...

Advertisement