Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Taxi Licence Application

• 07-11-2008 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

Hi folks, not sure if this is in the right place, sorry if it's not. Anyway, I'm applying for a taxi driver's licence and was just wondering could anyone help with a few things on the form.
    1. "Driving Licence Serial Number"
      Is this my driver number, or the stock number (the one in red).
    2. "I shall not drive a PSV for more than 11 hours in any one day in any period of 3 consecutive days."
      Surely that part is redundant? Unless maybe there should be an "or" in front of it, in which case that part is redundant instead.
    Maybe this'll all be explained in the training course, but I'd rather understand before I sign it. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

One more thing, anyone know how long I have to wait between applying and being called for the test? I heard it's about 12 weeks, is that right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Richie15 wrote: »
    Hi folks, not sure if this is in the right place, sorry if it's not. Anyway, I'm applying for a taxi driver's licence and was just wondering could anyone help with a few things on the form.
    1. "Driving Licence Serial Number"
      Is this my driver number, or the stock number (the one in red).
    2. "I shall not drive a PSV for more than 11 hours in any one day in any period of 3 consecutive days."
      Surely that part is redundant? Unless maybe there should be an "or" in front of it, in which case that part is redundant instead.
    Maybe this'll all be explained in the training course, but I'd rather understand before I sign it. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

One more thing, anyone know how long I have to wait between applying and being called for the test? I heard it's about 12 weeks, is that right?

AFAIK it's still the law and is designed to prevent overtired drivers from putting the public at risk, it's a difficult one for them to enforce but you can see why full time drivers have a bee in their bonnet about PAYE people driving taxis for the weekend after working all week....

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

"I shall not drive a PSV for more than 11 hours in any one day in any period of 3 consecutive days."

IMO It means that you shouldn't do three consecutive shifts, that are more than eleven hours each. It isn't enforced but in the event of an accident it could be an issue.
    Driving might seem easy but it is tiring and you will be carrying the most valuable cargo in the world. Simplest way is , if you're tired Go Home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

I won't of course dissuade you from driving a taxi, it may well work out to suit you depending on your circumstances.

I would just give one very important piece of advice. Do not invest any money in an expensive or new vehicle at the moment. The earnings are simply not there to sustain it. Start off easy, either by renting a car and plate, or by buying a plate and a cheap, fully depreciated car, until you gauge your earning potential. You should be able to negotiate a deal with another taxi driver who is selling out.

Read the other threads here and inform yourself well. Talk to taxi drivers. It is very easy to land yourself in a debt you simply cannot repay, and an ex-taxi is very hard to sell no matter the age or mileage. Have a look at the ads in the papers, and see how rentals have dropped, and the number of taxis for sale at bargain prices.

Above all, keep your operating costs to an ABSOLUTE minimum. Earnings are low, so you must balance that by as little outgoings as possible. Do not saddle yourself with a €300/month car loan, as you will not be able to repay it. This is vitally important. I am in debt to the tune of over €20,000 at the moment, for my present car and plate. I am pulling out of the industry, and will probably have to sell my plate at a loss. My car I will keep, as it is in perfect order, but worthless on the open market.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

HydeRoad wrote: »
    I would just give one very important piece of advice. Do not invest any money in an expensive or new vehicle at the moment. The earnings are simply not there to sustain it. Start off easy, either by renting a car and plate, or by buying a plate and a cheap, fully depreciated car, until you gauge your earning potential. You should be able to negotiate a deal with another taxi driver who is selling out.

Thanks for that, I have thought about it alright and have settled on renting the full cab, at least for the start. That way if I don't take to it, I've nothing to loose, and if I do, well and good I can save up for my own. I certainly couldn't convert my own car or afford a new one, not yet.
    Spook_ie wrote: »
    AFAIK it's still the law and is designed to prevent overtired drivers from putting the public at risk, it's a difficult one for them to enforce but you can see why full time drivers have a bee in their bonnet about PAYE people driving taxis for the weekend after working all week....
    Ahh yeh, I understand it's the law and it's there for safety an that, it's just the actual wording of it I don't understand. Does it mean you can't work more than 11 hours any day, or does it just mean if you do you have to take the next day off?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Ahh yeh, I understand it's the law and it's there for safety an that, it's just the actual wording of it I don't understand. Does it mean you can't work more than 11 hours any day, or does it just mean if you do you have to take the next day off?

It means that you don't drive a PSV a total of three 11 hour days in a row without taking the fourth day off; ie if you drive Monday Tuesday and Wednesday from 1PM til midnight then you take the Thursday off.

In relation to the "Training Course", they won't explain to you in any depth the laws relating to driving a taxi. The course is the biggest waste of money (€300+) and essentially just gives/grinds you the answers required to pass the PSV test for Dublin. As it is, the test for Dublin is fairly straightforward and the test will not show you the quickest routes; for what it is, you would buy a Garmin for less and it would be more help for you. Save yourself the cash, head out and buy the OSI street map (€12) and you will be better off for it, man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

Hamndegger wrote: »
    It means that you don't drive a PSV a total of three 11 hour days in a row without taking the fourth day off; ie if you drive Monday Tuesday and Wednesday from 1PM til midnight then you take the Thursday off.

In relation to the "Training Course", they won't explain to you in any depth the laws relating to driving a taxi. The course is the biggest waste of money (€300+) and essentially just gives/grinds you the answers required to pass the PSV test for Dublin. As it is, the test for Dublin is fairly straightforward and the test will not show you the quickest routes; for what it is, you would buy a Garmin for less and it would be more help for you. Save yourself the cash, head out and buy the OSI street map (€12) and you will be better off for it, man.
    Ahh yeh thanks, I understand now. Yeh I expected the course would be a waste alright, I was gonna do the test and if I failed I'd only be wasting €12, rather than do the course and if I don't need it it's a waste of €300 or so. I wouldn't mind spending that if I had to of course, but I'd rather not! :)

Speaking of Garmins, by the way, I get the impression they're frowned upon. I'm a bit of a traditionalist, I will be getting one but I'd say it's the type of thing I'd keep in the glove box in case of emergency. ;)

Ahh yeh thanks, I understand now. Yeh I expected the course would be a waste alright, I was gonna do the test and if I failed I'd only be wasting €12, rather than do the course and if I don't need it it's a waste of €300 or so. I wouldn't mind spending that if I had to of course, but I'd rather not! :)

Speaking of Garmins, by the way, I get the impression they're frowned upon. I'm a bit of a traditionalist, I will be getting one but I'd say it's the type of thing I'd keep in the glove box in case of emergency. ;)

I look on a Garmin like this;

When I am working I have to keep my eye on 4 passengers, a speedometer, a meter, a taxi data head/radio, a front window, a rear view window, two blind spots and two side mirrors while working. A GPS takes up space on my front screen and it's another thing to take my eyes off the road; hardly ideal when driving around the city.

Hamndegger wrote: »
    I look on a Garmin like this;

When I am working I have to keep my eye on 4 passengers, a speedometer, a meter, a taxi data head/radio, a front window, a rear view window, two blind spots and two side mirrors while working. A GPS takes up space on my front screen and it's another thing to take my eyes off the road; hardly ideal when driving around the city.

Give you a tip to make things easier, the meter will do it's own job without being watched as you drive :P

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Give you a tip to make things easier, the meter will do it's own job without being watched as you drive :P

The punters I seem to get, they almost know how to wind it back on me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 frank d sociopa

ahh anudder wun tryin te mak hiz fortune in de pyramid skeem o de taxiy
    biz
    dis wun won lissen eider
    he will bye a luvvly jammer an cule weels
    an wen he gits hiz furst vommer
    den he will wunder is it all wurt it

frank d sociopath

• Advertisement

Ah jeez Frankie, you did better than me, 3 posts and you got a red card..

I has to bow down to a champ when I sees one....:cool:

dis lot heer onny heer wat de agree wit im probbley gonna get fukked offa
    heer gaz part is dat nun o dem heer wud haz de bottel de say dees tings te me fase in me kar
    no matter id sey a lode of dem heer will be gittin de chop wit de resseshion
    an mite end up drivin a taxi
    wudnt dat be funney

slan
    frank d sociopath

an be de way karila moderater ladey
    i kant spell im an illiderate man frum a dizadvantiged area
    its not me falt coz i had te leeve skule an go te wurk ye cud sey dat me an my kind
    made diz cuntry fer ye an yer lik
    i espekt a apollogey frum ye
    missey

frank d sociopath

Advertisement