Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
21-07-2012, 15:52   #196
dodderangler
Registered User
 
dodderangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Quahog sometimes tallaght
Posts: 5,852
So I'm a racist towards the Asians am I? Ya wanna clarify that there mate?
Considering I'm am with a Filipino past 4 years and have a 2 year old child with her so sayin I am racist towards Asians is a bit off topic
I think the Japanese or japs are decent people
The Chinese however I find are the most ignorant people in the world and I can back that up havin spent time in china
So if your sayin our friends from the east involve the Chinese I'm afraid I am not part of that category as I hate them so I guess you could say I am racist towards the Chinese
Also when I put into google Japanese river dolphin it came up Yangtze river dolphin therefore I assumed it was in Japan as it says about the Japanese capturing the dolphin
Don't believe me then put it in yourself
dodderangler is offline  
Advertisement
21-07-2012, 16:11   #197
steddyeddy
Registered User
 
steddyeddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Dublin
Posts: 10,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by old hippy View Post
Plenty of peoples around the world kill whales. Don't agree with it, think it's wrong. Just the same as killing sharks, esp for shark fin soup. But saying a country is backward because they operate a policy you don't like... I disagree. Back in Ireland there's hunting, badger baiting, dog fights and paramilitary activity both sides of the border. There's cronysism, corrupt politicians and people who allow clerical abuse to be brushed under the carpet. All of us, every country had it's low points - sure.
You can judge a civilisation by how they treat their animals. In relation to animal welfare they are a backward culture. In relation to us as far as animal welfare we have been called backward as a nation and I would agree with that.

Last edited by steddyeddy; 21-07-2012 at 20:06.
steddyeddy is online now  
(2) thanks from:
21-07-2012, 18:59   #198
old hippy
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hello, you fool, I love you
Posts: 9,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodderangler View Post
So I'm a racist towards the Asians am I? Ya wanna clarify that there mate?
Considering I'm am with a Filipino past 4 years and have a 2 year old child with her so sayin I am racist towards Asians is a bit off topic
I think the Japanese or japs are decent people
The Chinese however I find are the most ignorant people in the world and I can back that up havin spent time in china
So if your sayin our friends from the east involve the Chinese I'm afraid I am not part of that category as I hate them so I guess you could say I am racist towards the Chinese
Also when I put into google Japanese river dolphin it came up Yangtze river dolphin therefore I assumed it was in Japan as it says about the Japanese capturing the dolphin
Don't believe me then put it in yourself
Without wishing to turn it into a competition, I've spent time in East Asia and my wife is Japanese. I can assure you that the term "Jap" is an offensive one and is much more than just flippancy. If you feel the need to use the term again, that's your path to chose. I just hope you never use it in front of a Japanese person.

I'm sorry you feel hatred towards the Chinese. Is that all Chinese or just Han Chinese? It's a vast country with many different peoples and ethnicities. A country that size is impossible to classify under one generic umbrella.

Not all Japanese are into whaling. In fact, these days it's a minority. Whale was very much a staple part of the Japanese diet, post WW2 when times were tough - the younger crowd are not interested in whale or dolphin and I have no truck with those who are. Having said that, I have eaten whale (in Norway). Also, there are entire communities in parts of Japan who rely on whaling for their livelyhood - not condoning it - but that's the way it is at present.

I can't dismiss entire nations for certain things that are repugnant to me. Otherwise I'd be very much an insular person with no desire to see and meet people in this world of ours. Apologies if you feel I invaded your thread but I've had to put up with various unpleasant dealings out there because of my wife's nationality and it gets to be a bit of a drag - so yeah, when it comes to loved one's - one tends to bristle when one hears certain things being said.

Ignorance is a global thing, I find if we tend to treat people as individuals it goes someway towards understanding (but not necessarily appreciating every aspect) their culture.

That's me off my soapbox now.

Peace.
old hippy is offline  
Thanks from:
21-07-2012, 19:18   #199
steddyeddy
Registered User
 
steddyeddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Dublin
Posts: 10,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by old hippy View Post
Without wishing to turn it into a competition, I've spent time in East Asia and my wife is Japanese. I can assure you that the term "Jap" is an offensive one and is much more than just flippancy. If you feel the need to use the term again, that's your path to chose. I just hope you never use it in front of a Japanese person.

I'm sorry you feel hatred towards the Chinese. Is that all Chinese or just Han Chinese? It's a vast country with many different peoples and ethnicities. A country that size is impossible to classify under one generic umbrella.

Not all Japanese are into whaling. In fact, these days it's a minority. Whale was very much a staple part of the Japanese diet, post WW2 when times were tough - the younger crowd are not interested in whale or dolphin and I have no truck with those who are. Having said that, I have eaten whale (in Norway). Also, there are entire communities in parts of Japan who rely on whaling for their livelyhood - not condoning it - but that's the way it is at present.

I can't dismiss entire nations for certain things that are repugnant to me. Otherwise I'd be very much an insular person with no desire to see and meet people in this world of ours. Apologies if you feel I invaded your thread but I've had to put up with various unpleasant dealings out there because of my wife's nationality and it gets to be a bit of a drag - so yeah, when it comes to loved one's - one tends to bristle when one hears certain things being said.

Ignorance is a global thing, I find if we tend to treat people as individuals it goes someway towards understanding (but not necessarily appreciating every aspect) their culture.

That's me off my soapbox now.

Peace.
The way it is at present is not excuse whatsoever for the barbarisim thats practiced by some cultures.
steddyeddy is online now  
(2) thanks from:
22-07-2012, 09:48   #200
old hippy
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hello, you fool, I love you
Posts: 9,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyeddy View Post
The way it is at present is not excuse whatsoever for the barbarisim thats practiced by some cultures.
I agree. Ireland is in some ways a barbaric country, as well. Hunting, baiting, coursing and all that.

There's no excuse for that, either.

But neither country should be defined by their wrong doing.
old hippy is offline  
Advertisement
22-07-2012, 16:47   #201
OpenYourEyes
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by old hippy View Post
I agree. Ireland is in some ways a barbaric country, as well. Hunting, baiting, coursing and all that.

There's no excuse for that, either.

But neither country should be defined by their wrong doing.
They shouldn't be defined by their wrong doing, but its still very important to both condemn it and highlight it where possible, or there's unlikely to evver be change!
OpenYourEyes is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet