Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Used Saab 95 (2011) v A5 Sportback

• 24-07-2014 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Looking to upgrade and buy my first decent car. Do about 20 K km/yr so would like something that's comfortable and reasonably efficient. From a pure aesthetics POV I've settled on either the SAAB 95 or A5 Sportback. Would welcome any opinions/comments on both. I know Saab are no more so I presume this may throw up some issues,

Have about 20K to spend so pointers to any other cars would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Looking to upgrade and buy my first decent car. Do about 20 K km/yr so would like something that's comfortable and reasonably efficient. From a pure aesthetics POV I've settled on either the SAAB 95 or A5 Sportback. Would welcome any opinions/comments on both. I know Saab are no more so I presume this may throw up some issues,

Have about 20K to spend so pointers to any other cars would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

M

Saab parts are still going strong, trust me i know :pac: I can't comment on the 2011 version, but my one, 00, shouldn't be too different I've a 9-5 estate, so the boot is massive, similar on the saloon too, I've fitted a bathroom in the car with the rear seats down, to give you an idea of the size, the 2011 won't have the sludge issue or any other of the saab horrors, if at all try get an aero model, which is the top spec and should have a bit of power,fun things and a lot more advanced stuff in it. I think it's a 2 litre engine in the 2011, in mine it's a 2.3, I've a heavy foot so i get around 29/35 mpg, depending on how i drive, on another note, they are stupidly comfy, they handle rather well, and they're one of the safest cars on the road, and if you want something different by all means get a saab :)

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I drove a new 9-5 when they were launched in 2010, and thought it was pretty bloody awful. My review:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67983873&postcount=73

It is a cracking looking car, and I still see an unusually high number of them on the roads, in comparison to how many could have been sold.

The A5 isn't exactly the pinnacle of driving pleasure either, in FWD form. Much better with quattro, but they are few and far between, and demand a high cost premium over the FWD models.

If you are stuck on the 2, then probably the A5 would be the better bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,098 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 2011 9-5 shares alot of DNA with the Insignia, even the steering wheel is the same except it has a Saab centre badge instead of Opel. Diesel engine is the same Fiat derived engine from the Insignia too. Heard build quality on the 9-5 is not great though as this car was launched around the time Saab were close to going bust.

A5 Sportback specs are odd especially UK ones where some of them have things like leather heated seats, Sat Nav, etc but then are missing lesser but more useful things like Bluetooth or cruise control.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Hammer Time

Thanks for the feedback. Would it be worth looking at a decent A4 or A6 in comparison to the A5?

You will buy a decent spec VW Passat CC for similar money as a A5 Sportback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

If you could swing a new model A6 in for around the budget it would be a superior car to the A4 or A5.

A6 is a better bet than the A5 Sportback. A5 Sportback is really just and A4 Hatch, but it is very pretty.

You wont get a new model A6 in budget though. Most of the old models are pretty decent specification, generally have Leather, Nav, BOSE and decent wheels, but they are a bit long in the tooth now, and the new model is streets ahead, and has a decent engine (2.0Tdi 177ps) whereas most of the old models are 2.0Tdi 136ps versions. Not terrible, but not as good as the new model.

If you don't need much rear seat space, the new model Volvo S60 is a much better drive than both the 9-5 and any of the FWD Audi's - generally a higher standard specification as well.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volvo/S60/D3-160BH/58814045627710780/advert?channel=CARS

Or if you fancy a 2010, don't mind €570 a year road tax, and could get over the colour combo:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volvo/S60/D5-2.4D-/39713902202575450/advert?channel=CARS

Over 200 horses from a twin turbo 2.4 5 cylinder diesel. Auto gearbox, distance cruise control, lane departure, blind spot warning, Heated Electric Memory seats etc.

I couldn't get over that colour though. Shame there's no R-Design models with a proper engine (D3 or higher) showing for sale around your budget.

They have that D5 for sale a long time, that colour does nothing for the S60 and the interior colour is a constant reminder too.

bazz26 wrote: »
    They have that D5 for sale a long time, that colour does nothing for the S60 and the interior colour is a constant reminder too.

The interior I could live with, with a black exterior.

She'd be some yoke to go though. That would have been one of Volvo's demo models in late 2010. Never driven a D5 S60 (they disappeared off the price list not long after launch), but the 163ps D3 is pretty damn peppy anyway.

The seats I could live with, but the Tango jokes would be a different matter. Thanks for the links lads, appreciate it.

Will have a look at a few more of the S60s.

• Advertisement

I'm beginning to tempt myself:
    315851.jpg

Wonder how cheap they'd let it go for if it's been there for a while.

€1,500 or so would see it wrapped in Polestar/Rebel Blue (much better job than my effort), and lob a decent set of wheels on........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Don't know if you watched this Top Gear episode where they discussed Saab's demise. They reckoned the latest Saab 9-5 was going to be quite different to the Insignia that it was based on, but Saab folded, was then taken over by some venture capitalist and it was rushed out the door to try to save the company .. so their advice was AVOID, AVOID, AVOID.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/a-tribute-to-saab-part-1-series-18-episode-5 (watch part 2 for the latest 9-5 blurb)

A5 Sportback.. good looking cars..but Audi have plenty of horror stories too. Poor reliability and expensive repairs.

Have owned a Volvo with the 'old' D5 engine. Its a crackin engine... savage power. Cars themselves don't drive very well .. FWD torque steer makes them horrific on a roundabout or T junction, and they are not as reliable as you might think.

Two bits of advice.

1). No point in buying a powerful Front Wheel drive car (>150bhp) even rear drive cars with big power are a handful...always go 4wd if you have that option... otherwise you can never safely use the power .. especially in Ireland with bad weather and bad roads.

2). You sound like you are looking for a good motor for fairly high mileage but you are also image conscious and looking to make a statement. Good compromise .. some type of SUV... maybe even able to stretch to BMW X5 or similar type of luxury SUV if you don't mind going back to 08/09

Lol, 150bhp is powerful? Your average diesel mile muncher has 150bhp these days. FWD chassis' these days are well engineered and capable of handling alot more than 150bhp through the front wheels.

I have to admit image does come into it as I'm only buying for myself. Any views on the Kia Sportage SUV? Nice to look at, have driven one once and found it enjoyable enough but that was comparing it to my current piece of scrap.

Not a fan of the Q5/Q7/X5/Volvo SUV tbh.

Thanks

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭littlevillage

bazz26 wrote: »
    Lol, 150bhp is powerful? Your average diesel mile muncher has 150bhp these days. FWD chassis' these days are well engineered and capable of handling alot more than 150bhp through the front wheels.

150bhp is not powerful in relation to say a Bugatti Veyron .. but in relation to what a FWD chassis can safely put onto a wet road, its lot.

and my point applies especially to Turbo charged Diesels .. where all the power comes in a narrow band.. if you don't believe me, put them to the test coming onto a wet roundabout or T-Junction ;)

one of three things will happen

1). If you are not on the power, it will stall or crawl
    2). If you give it too much beans, you will spin the wheels and could end up anywhere
    3). If the wheels spin for long enough, the Traction control will cut in and cut your power, in which case see (1).

I've been driving 170bhp diesel cars for a number of years now, both rwd and fwd, so I am well aware of how they behave. Modern diesel engines have a broader more linear power curve than diesel engines made over a decade ago too along with other driver aids. I've yet to spin out on a wet roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Interesting discussion. Maybe no longer on point, but I have owned a couple of powerful front drive cars .. Rover 600ti, Saab 9-5 HOT turbo, Volvo T-5, all had over 200bhp. Yep its true, could never really get the power down onto the road without lurching all over the place and you need to be careful in the wet. Maybe modern cars have more sophisticated traction control etc.

Regarding the SAAB 9-5. It was a class car, really comfortable and beautiful interior, never gave me much trouble. Tyres the big expense. Avoid the big alloys with low profile tyres .. they can 'tramline' a bit when they get worn, so you are constantly replacing them and they cost big $$

Advertisement