Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All ye oul wans and oul fellas out there! Wakey wakey, rise and shine!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

looksee wrote: »
    Two hours JB? You suffered for two hours? :D

I'm ready, willing and anxious to be comprehensively offended. Links and / or pics required.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Girls?!! You should see OG :eek:
    picture.php?albumid=1474&pictureid=9038

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I gave that a 'thanks' and then I removed it 'cos I didn't want to encourage 'that sort of thing'. As my old friend Fr Ted said, 'Careful now'.........'Down with that sort of thing'.......and......steady on chaps!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Grandson #2 is deciding to make his entrance tonight. Not due for another month.
    Momma's as cool as a breeze...Nana is having palpitations :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

Someone needs to boil some water QUICK .. And towels we need towels.... *panics*. .

• Advertisement

Thanks Rammy. I could do with a cuppa and a shower! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Congrats Chucken. Remember keep breathing, deep breaths, you'll be fine.....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mod note: I have started a new thread on age related illnesses and issues. I moved Brensbenz's posts about problems relating to a friend in hospital, there must be similar problems and it would be a good idea to have a dedicated thread for them.

Meanwhile Brens was saying that he was on the mend, so we raised a glass (and a cup of tea) to him!

Somebody mention raising a glass or two???

Count me in, this calls for the good fizzy stuff (no not Lucozade) and a big pot of tea.

Ramette wrote: »
    Someone needs to boil some water QUICK .. And towels we need towels.... *panics*. .

Pant, pant, pant. Stop. Pant, pant, pant. Stop. Pant, pant, pant. Stop. Pa

Gosh, the memories are flooding back! Happy days! :)

• Advertisement

Panic averted for the time being. Hospital sent her home again. False alarm.
    I can't keep doing this, I'm a nervous wreck :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

Passes Chucken a wet flannel....

Pours large drink for Chucken.......................and the rest of us;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

why do all the films say to boil water? Mad urge for tea? To sterilise the mother? To get the panic stricken over acting extra out of the shot?

Where is everybody body body body?

Some pretty good rain here lately, although BrensBenz manor hasn't flooded yet. The Woof (the waterdog / spaniel) put one paw outside this morning, immediately withdrew it and went back to bed. He didn't even want to supervise the placement of goodies on the bird tables. One amazing bladder!

Am I allowed to say that I'll be polishing brasses later today without all sorts of innuendos being beamed at me? These are brass brasses, made of brass and not brass bras made of lacy stuff. My brurder-in-law's boat has a load of brass fittings needing a lot of attention and, in my secret boatshed, I have the machinery for such tasks. Looking forward to seeing them come back to life.

Hmmm! I wonder if I might have time to work on bras first? The ones in the drawer are fine as they are but I know of one, actually in use at the moment, that might appreciate some TLC, especially if the work can be done without having to go to the boatshed.

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's BrensBenz, in his SuperMan dressing gown and gorilla-faced slippers, rushing to offer "support" to an overworked, under-appreciated bra, with the theme music of "Match of the Day" in his head, i.e. DD DD DD DDD, DD DD DD....

You know, darker, rainy weekend mornings have their advantages!

Good question BrensBenz. Very quiet in here. Also still in dressing gown, meandering around the interwebs in the hope of finding something mildly interesting, and drinking coffee. Studiously ignoring the absolute tip that exists around me as kitchen is re-done. There is a mess that only plasterers can create and I really should do something about sorting it a bit. I am sitting in a sea of boxes and kitchen debris, and crockery that will have to be washed up in a bowl of water fetched from the bathroom. Such fun!

Only consolation is that hubby has been despatched to the son's house and attentive care of daughter in law, who is spoiling him rotten. So I only have to sort myself. He said he didn't want to leave, but then they started taking tiles off the walls with a jackhammer! :D

Looking forward to the end result though and I have someone sorting the job for me so all i have to do is offer opinions occasionally, and pay up! Trouble is a nice shiny new kitchen is going to make the rest of the house look scruffy. Hmmm

Good question BrensBenz. Very quiet in here. Also still in dressing gown, meandering around the interwebs in the hope of finding something mildly interesting, and drinking coffee. Studiously ignoring the absolute tip that exists around me as kitchen is re-done. There is a mess that only plasterers can create and I really should do something about sorting it a bit. I am sitting in a sea of boxes and kitchen debris, and crockery that will have to be washed up in a bowl of water fetched from the bathroom. Such fun!

Only consolation is that hubby has been despatched to the son's house and attentive care of daughter in law, who is spoiling him rotten. So I only have to sort myself. He said he didn't want to leave, but then they started taking tiles off the walls with a jackhammer! :D

Looking forward to the end result though and I have someone sorting the job for me so all i have to do is offer opinions occasionally, and pay up! Trouble is a nice shiny new kitchen is going to make the rest of the house look scruffy. Hmmm

Absolutely correct about plasterers' mess being unique but, you know, plastering is almost a lost art. They make it look so easy but try it! It's impossible!

Another, generally under-appreciated craft is plumbing. I can spot a leak, no problem, but when I tighten the leaking joint, the fitting breaks. When I remove the newly broken fitting, the next fitting moves, leaks, gets tightened and breaks; the room floods; the Woof leaves home; severe earache ensues... Plumbers make it look so easy but try it! It's impossible!

Unlike many lady-type people, I find it easy to ignore a mess and simply enjoy watching a craftsman at work. I remember (pre-Health and Safety) spending time in Holy Cross Abbey, near Thurles, during its restoration. The men were shaping huge oak beams for the roof with a precision that would put a boat-builder to shame. And, oh, the smell of oak! Wonderful.
    I was given some off-cuts for wood carving - they almost broke my car's suspension!

Regarding clearing up a mess, may I let you into the secret of THE most irritating thing that lady-type people do? Tidying BEFORE the job is finished, usually while work is being performed. Oh, how many times has my saw been struck by the hoover, mid-stroke, because "this sawdust is ghastly!" And then there's the "where the .....is my screwdriver bit?" "Oh, it might be in the hoover."

It's not as if builders' mess contains berry-berry, typhoid or cholera so chillax! Your new kitchen will be fabbalus....all in good time! Then you can bakes cakes, which I can inspect for you, free of charge.

You are too good Brens! And while I enjoy a home made cake, if I made one I would eat it, which would not improve my - um - waistline? So I let my daughter in law do the baking, because I am a liberated and generous minded mother in law, and help eat the proceeds.

Now as to the clearing up. I have just washed the hall floor, and it looks much better, but more important the plaster is not migrating round the rest of the house. Work persons don't think of these things.

If you went and looked in my woodworking area though, there is sawdust and wood chips all over the floor and mounding in corners. You see, I do have priorities, and anyway, standing in a pile of woodchips makes me feel like a real woodworker :-) I also like the smell. I was told yesterday of a friendly small woodyard where they have all sorts of real, interesting wood (as against synthetic whitewood that the DIY shops sell) and you can root among the offcuts and find pieces to do interesting stuff with. So I think that a visit will have to be organised, sooner rather than later, like Monday, for example.

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Where is everybody body body body?........
    Unlike many lady-type people, I find it easy to ignore a mess and simply enjoy watching a craftsman at work...
    ......the secret of THE most irritating thing that lady-type people do? Tidying BEFORE the job is finished, usually while work is being performed.

Not me, Brens, I am happy to sit in any mess until those 'wunnerful' tradesmen leave the house. But usually, I am counting the minutes until they do. I hate having workmen around and they are only invited in as a last resort but that's because they usually diddle me and pull wool over my eyes, a lot. I only see things wrong, the day after they leave, and then I can't get them to come back. That's my tale of woe.
    ...I was told yesterday of a friendly small woodyard where they have all sorts of real, interesting wood (as against synthetic whitewood that the DIY shops sell) and you can root among the offcuts and find pieces to do interesting stuff with. So I think that a visit will have to be organised, sooner rather than later, like Monday, for example.

Watcha gonna do wiv all dat wud Looksee?

By the way, every time I come in here, there is no-one around, so I leave again. What's happening to us? Sniff, has our relationship...sniff...broken down or whaw? I knew it would come to this one day....sniffle!

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Watcha gonna do wiv all dat wud Looksee?

Ah well now. At the moment I need a nice tidy piece to make a warping board. Then if I could get some smaller, sturdy pieces I could use them for tops for 3 legged stools. Well maybe that should read, a piece to make a stool. But as my mother used to say, my eyes are bigger than my belly. :p

• Advertisement

A warping board. Ah yes, a warping board, of course, I should have known. (warping board??!! :confused::confused::confused:)

Ah well now. At the moment I need a nice tidy piece to make a warping board. Then if I could get some smaller, sturdy pieces I could use them for tops for 3 legged stools. :p
    Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    A warping board. Ah yes, a warping board, of course, I should have known. (warping board??!! :confused::confused::confused:)

A warping board, as opposed to a wefting board?

I remember once going to a woodshop and asking if they had hardwood. "Oh yes, of course! We have chipboard, MDF, Plywood....all sorts of hardwood."

I still carve and turn (hard)wood but find it difficult to get good pieces so, if your visit to the friendly woodyard is successful, I would be interested to know their address. I might even be persuaded to turn seats for your three-legged stools.

And a new cottage industry rises from the depths of unemployment! A new business opportunity for Brens and Looksee!

Weather is awful but I got out of bed early so I could go and look at a new car for myself. I had booked a test drive last week.

Got to the sales room and the car was still boxed in between other cars it was blowing a gale and the rain was hammering down. There was nobody there.

SO ... I called it a day and went to another dealer to see what they had on offer.

Would have liked the original car though purely as a treat for myself.

What type of car Rubes?????

Tell us all, plenty of useless advice available here.......

Personally I highly recommend the Jaguar F Type:):)

(Go on, it's only money!!!!!)

Ok a Jag XKR would be perfectly acceptable as well :D:D

Yes Brens, exactly, as against a wefting board (except there is no such thing, whereas there is a warping board) And of course you all want to know what a warping board is don't you....no? oh well!

I will take note of the wood situation for you Brens. Thank you for the very kind offer to turn seats, but the kind of stools i am thinking of were quite basic and not turned. However I have taken very keen note of the fact that you do wood turning :-) I like to keep track of people with those kind of skills. Have you ever used a pole lathe?

Layinghen wrote: »
    What type of car Rubes?????

Tell us all, plenty of useless advice available here.......

Personally I highly recommend the Jaguar F Type:):)

(Go on, it's only money!!!!!)

Ok a Jag XKR would be perfectly acceptable as well :D:D

It was a Mercedes CLK Kompressor (supercharged) Coupe in dark blue with full leather interior. Jelly

Pole dancing now! :eek: What next!

Latvia dancing?

• Advertisement

Rubecula wrote: »
    It was a Mercedes CLK Kompressor (supercharged) Coupe in dark blue with full leather interior. Jelly

Cream or grey leather???? And I'm not Jelly:(:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement