Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's your area of interest?

• 09-12-2007 1:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hey folks,

just wondering which aspect of the ES ye are all interested in :) I'm sure some people will be specifically interested in one area as a career, some people just reading on all of them out of interest, others deciding between them all.

Me, I'm gonna get through college and then going to try get into the fire services :) Also interested in the Gardaí and to a lesser extent the ambulance service.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

I'm a final yr med student, half thinking of doing Emergency Medicine as a career so I guess that counts!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,631 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Serving PSNI Officer here. Lovin' each day as if it's the last!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

im interested in them all!! my dads a gard, so interested there but would love to be paramedic in a few years(medicine never interested me so i like the front line but i have basic life support, aed certs and first aid, all that kinda thing) and i picked up some interest in fire services from reading about dfb etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Hospital doctor interested in critical care.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I'm in the fire service and CD currently, was a special constable in the UK in the dim and distant past.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Volunteer First Responder With the Order of Malta Ambulance Corps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Cool, a nice broad (and experienced) group here :) Should make for some interesting discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

In the guards meself and only 6 months I love it, despite all my moaning on other posts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭source

Just about to start phase 2 in the gardai, can't wait to get on the street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Waiting for the physical for the Guards at the moment. Also have a brother in the army, dad a retired policeman and grandad was a fireman.

Apart from that I was working as a journo back home for 4 years, covering crime so I know it from this side too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

One of the boys in Blue, working in the Dublin region

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

Interested in the gardai myself....My dad and uncle are retired from it and another uncle is currently serving! Love to join....... always from an early age wanted to join! must look into it!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Plan on joining Garda next year after my LC!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Mountain Rescue here....

Gil

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Doing research in forensics and member of Civil Defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

Voluntary member of SJAB, emergency cardiac responder. hard to get time off from work in order to upgrade to Emergency First responder (if you're reading this boss!!!):rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Stevem

Voluntary member of the Order of Malta,training as a Emergency First Responder and in the Civil Defence (Auxiliary Fire service) also....hopefully il be able to add firefighter to that some day! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Tango Alpha 51

Paramedic with the HSE National Ambulance Service. Have been in the Svce for nearly 6yrs. Love every minute of it. Prior to that was involved in the vols for nearly 20yrs or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Volunteer First Responder With the Order of Malta Ambulance Corps

Eighter guards or dfb after college where hopefully im doing nursing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Elessar

Emergency First Responder with OMAC.

Would like to eventually get to Paramedic but don't know if I want a career in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭coyote6

I'm a (soon to be) retired cop from the states. I've been involved as an instructor and SWAT officer and would love to return to Ireland to instruct firearms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Forensics, particularly in Drug Analysis. Read a bit on Fire Investigation, but that's it.

Hoping to hit an GS within 2 years, if not sooner. Not really aiming for the Technical Bureau, just wanna get in and see where the career brings me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 ChunkyManSkinny

Trained nurse (no reg due to past disability, missed out on my last clinical placement but passed everything else :rolleyes:), CFR with a vol ambulance service. Working in an office at the moment looking to work on ambulances either private or HSE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭watsgone

First Responder with OMAC

Though I do like the education side as in instructing classes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 scott22

Active member of the civil defence. Emergency medical technician 'trainee' with Lifeline ambulance service and paneled for Paramedic training in the recent HSE national recruitment drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Emergency Medical First Responder with St John Ambulance, and medical student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

Police Officer currently serving on a response team, moving to a public order and tactical unit later in the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭santosubito

I write about crime. Wonder who ojewriej is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Serving Guard-almost 20 years. Never promoted, not particularly interested. Have great family life with kids etc. and that keeps me sane. Still like going to work 'cos I love the craic it brings. Despite what others may say or think I still believe most of my colleagues are A1. Don't want to sound negative with the no promotion thing but the field I am in I know the bit I do helps the public, however little that might be. That brings the reward to me-not money (although that helps too).

Just reading over that it looks a bit holy joeish. Not meant to just my 2c worth. Hopefully I can keep this frame of mind till I can retire in 12 years!!! It's also nice in the current climate that they can't sack me (no offence intended to anyone in such bother ATM-it's just the way it is). In fact I'm only in the job due to the last recession!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭patrickrushe

Emergency First Responder in St John Ambulance, Dundrum Division.

Trained with St John Ambulance Brigade of Ireland, Cork City First Aid and Ambulance Division.

I like volunteering in my spare time. Hats off to anyone who does EMS the full time. Tough job.

Advertisement