Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

website review for DHTIMBER.ie

Options
  • 28-09-2015 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Hi Guys working on a new website for Timber Suppliers in Dublin - would welcome comments on layout. Its not 100% finished as I need to get pics of them to present the company but as general layouts go eager for feedback.

website is dhtimber

Again appreciate your time.

Regards
    B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

swordsinfo wrote: »
    Hi Guys working on a new website for Timber Suppliers in Dublin - would welcome comments on layout. Its not 100% finished as I need to get pics of them to present the company but as general layouts go eager for feedback.

website is dhtimber

Again appreciate your time.

Regards
    B

Nice job.. love the colour theme running through the site..
    My only comment, and its only a small thing, the font seems easier to read with white font against the dark backgrounds, where the background is white and the font is dark brown its a bit hard on the eye..

Well done..

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭swordsinfo

Cheers for the feedback brian - is there a particular page that you think isn't great with the dark brown or sdo you mean in general all the text on the white. i can increase the spacing in the lettering or darken the brown? which you think would be best? Cheers for the feedback - still a bit to go as need some good images but I think the guys at dhtimber are happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

swordsinfo wrote: »
    Cheers for the feedback brian - is there a particular page that you think isn't great with the dark brown or sdo you mean in general all the text on the white. i can increase the spacing in the lettering or darken the brown? which you think would be best? Cheers for the feedback - still a bit to go as need some good images but I think the guys at dhtimber are happy.

just in general..
    but overall the site looks nice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Agree with Brian, site looks really well, but there is something funny about the font, especially lower case "r". I cant screen shot cause im in work, but the the top part of the r is really long, the word "cherry" looks really odd with it

Using chrome on windows 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Email addresses are @eircom.net, not @dhtimber.ie. They are also not mailtos.

Phone numbers aren't treated with the tel: protocol on desktop version yet the phone icon does in the Responsive Design.

There's other inconsistencies between the desktop and Responsive versions eg. Live Chat (which looks like it has a broken link). Some of these will be fine, some won't, not always obvious.

Treatment of DH Timber text is inconsistent.

Centred aligned text on many pages is poor for readability.

No map integrated with Google's social signals for Business.

The empty pages' Previous links doesn't point correctly to the previous page but just self-links.

There could be issues with using px for font sizes on some devices.

Form needs fixing:
    • Email format is not validated which is trivial if you use the correct html5 input type ('email' funnily enough).
    • Are 2 phone numbers really required.
    • No textarea to make an actual query.
    • That f**kin capctha - murder, death, kill! It's really horrific for a load of reasons but mainly because it will really annoy too many prospective customers just as a really stage in the business process - when they make first contact. Is spam really that much of a problem?

Some other stuff hasn't been properly thought-out and/or tested for snags.
    Eg.
    'Social Platforms
    Stay updated or contact us on our social platforms.
    More to follow'
    Hasn't got any of the expected links in context.
    Not sure of the purpose of the linked link icon in the 3cols area.

Pages with content missing.

Homepage meta description could be better and descriptions are missing from other pages.

Gallery images are being resized using width and height from oversized versions. I checked the file sizes for 2 images and they are over 2MB which is baaaaddd.

There is no feedback from happy customers and no stories on jobs done to give customers an idea of processes. The bit of this type of content that is there is poorly oriented to getting customers to want to do business with this company.

+1 one the typeface's 'r' sucking a bit.

That's enough for now

hth

• Advertisement
Advertisement