Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Attack on female Garda in Dublin

1234568»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

If i was being kicked unconscious and the person kept on kicking me and smashing my skull,

yes i would want a farmer to shoot. If the farmer believed there was no other way in which to save my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sam Kade wrote: »
    No you wouldn't have to kick the **** out of them all that was needed was for a few people to restrain them.
    It can take up to 3 Gardai to properly restrain someone. When restraining someone, you must ensure they don't get hurt, or you may open yourself to civil action. Also, members of the public may get injured whilst holding down scum, by the friends of the scum.

Dont underestimate how hard it is to restrain somebody no matter how small they are.

Or how big or how many of you there is.

And this fella didnt even try and attack the police, he was simply trying to get away.

The pepper spray worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

the_syco wrote: »
    When restraining someone, you must ensure they don't get hurt, or you may open yourself to civil action.

Incorrect. There's no requirement to ensure the other party does not get hurt. Gardaí, and civilians engaged in self-defence, are entitled to use reasonable force. Reasonable force is the degree of force that is appropriate in a given situation and is not excessive.

I have yet to come across a case here where someone has applied reasonable force in a self-defence situation and gotten successfully sued for doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Chief--- wrote: »
    If i was being kicked unconscious and the person kept on kicking me and smashing my skull,

yes i would want a farmer to shoot. If the farmer believed there was no other way in which to save my life.

My point is that the person with the shotgun is not qualified to make the decision as to whether your life is at risk or what is an appropriate response.

And most likely unable to deal with the consequences of having killed someone.

• Advertisement

My point is that the person with the shotgun is not qualified to make the decision as to whether your life is at risk or what is an appropriate response.

Who is??

A brain surgeon??

Not too many of them standing around the streets with guns!

• the_syco wrote: »
    It can take up to 3 Gardai to properly restrain someone. When restraining someone, you must ensure they don't get hurt, or you may open yourself to civil action. Also, members of the public may get injured whilst holding down scum, by the friends of the scum.

Security personnel restrain people all the time. Staff in shops restrain people. They don't have any training. And you may have noticed that there is never a case in the papers about them being sued.

And most of these scum will run a mile if somebody puts it up to them, especially if there is a group of people tackling them. The ones who attacked the garda just saw an opertunity and took it. And as long as people are prepared to stand by and watch without intervening it will happen again.

And Terrontress, we know that you cannot be relied upon to help out in a situation where somebody is being attacked so there is no need for you to keep trying to justify your reasons by throwing up unlikely situations.

If I am ever unlucky enough to be attacked and am outnumbered I would be more than greatful to anybody who stepped in to help.

• My point is that the person with the shotgun is not qualified to make the decision as to whether your life is at risk or what is an appropriate response.

And how are they any different to a Garda who is trained how to shoot? There are probably some private gun owners who are better shots than some Gardai.

And I'm sure the Garda gun training doesn't turn gardai into robots who don't think of the consequences of pulling thier guns on a person never mind choosing to shoot them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

What qualifications do you think a person is supposed to have to make such a decision?

What consequences are you referring to and what makes you think that a Garda is any more capable of dealing with them than anyone else?

tick tick tick....

.....I think this thread has run its course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

cushtac wrote: »
    What qualifications do you think a person is supposed to have to make such a decision?

What consequences are you referring to and what makes you think that a Garda is any more capable of dealing with them than anyone else?

Armed Gardai go through rigorous selection, training, psychological profiling. I know someone who has a gun from a farm and I wouldn't trust him with a catipult never mind a gun. He has told me some crazy stories. He is not capable of making a decision as to whether to kill.

And do you know what happens to an armed Garda when they kill someone? They are taken off duty, debriefed, counselled.

And these are highly trained pros who wake up each morning knowing they might kill someone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,631 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Chief--- wrote: »
    tick tick tick....

.....I think this thread has run its course.
    Armed Gardai go through rigorous selection, training, psychological profiling. I know someone who has a gun from a farm and I wouldn't trust him with a catipult never mind a gun. He has told me some crazy stories. He is not capable of making a decision as to whether to kill.

And do you know what happens to an armed Garda when they kill someone? They are taken off duty, debriefed, counselled.

And these are highly trained pros who wake up each morning knowing they might kill someone.

It certainly has Chief.

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement