Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tired of paying 29.99€ for 12 protein bars ? TRY THIS!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

can anyone think of a good alternative to the whey protein?
    i've never bought WP before and don't want to buy it just for something experimental like this.
    I was thinking something along the lines of wheat bran/wheatgerm , as that's still 30% protein?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭muffinn

This thread still alive ? Amazing!

Can one of the mods change the amount of water needed from 150-200ml to 100-150ml, please ? I can't edit it myself.

It is actually a bit too much, that is why people were having the mixture turn into sludge.

@the groutch

Not sure if it would be that good taste wise. You could try it with wheatgerm and pure cocoa powder for that extra chocolate kick and tell us how it went. You may want to add in some sweetener as well if you won't be using whey powder.

@frag420

Try to add more flaxseed. It contains mucilage which is natural glue that holds those bars together.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Fitseeker

These taste amazing, I wrap them seperately in grease-proof paper, store them in my freezer and pretty much just take one out 10mins before I plan to eat them. They do tend to go quite mushy so I probably wouldn't take them around with me anywhere.. Also in the mixing stage I wouldn't use my hands ever again, lost some of the batter as it was so sticky I couldn't remove it without alot of soap and water :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

In the original post, about the oats, what does WPC stand for? (i'm brain dead at this time)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

can anyone think of a good alternative to the whey protein?
    i've never bought WP before and don't want to buy it just for something experimental like this.
    I was thinking something along the lines of wheat bran/wheatgerm , as that's still 30% protein?
    30% protein isn't really high enough for a proten bar.

Just buy the WP. Even you you don't like the bars, you'll still ahve a use for it
    n1ck wrote: »
    In the original post, about the oats, what does WPC stand for? (i'm brain dead at this time)

Whey Protein Concentrate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Bramabull81

I made mine with "gold standard cookies and cream", quite similar to the taste of a snickers bar when you bit into the almonds and that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Just made a batch of these! Can't wait for them to set to try them out.

Followed the instructions almost exactly, but substituted choc flavored whey for strawberry 'cause it's all I had. I also threw in a tablespoon of crushed hazelnuts and a pinch or two of desiccated coconut powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

made these just there. really wish id read the full thread instead of just the instructions! Sticky hands everywhere!

Should be ready to go for 9pm though

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Hailhail1967

Just came across this thread. They lok amazing. Cant wait to get some made the weekend.

Was wondering about the fact protein is meant to be used fairly quickly once mixed, does that not effect keep these for long? Or are they meant to be kept in the freezer all the time?

fair play OP too. Great post. After years.

Just came across this thread. They lok amazing. Cant wait to get some made the weekend.

Was wondering about the fact protein is meant to be used fairly quickly once mixed, does that not effect keep these for long? Or are they meant to be kept in the freezer all the time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,487 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Saw this thread at 22:50 and read the OP. Suddenly realised I had most of the ingredients and that I wouldn't be able to sleep unless I tried making them. By 23:20, I had a batch in the freezer :)

I had all ingredients except the almonds, so replaced them with raisins. Also added in sesame seeds for no good reason except I bought a pack today and wanted to use them for something. Also just had strawberry whey instead of chocolate, so added a teaspoon of bourneville cocoa.

Mixture turned out fine and dying to taste it in the morning. At least my fingers tasted nice after I mixed everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

I store mine in the freezer and take them out before I go to the gym. When I'm finished in the gym they're nice and defrosted. In fact I've just finished eating one now!

I have found that the better you mix the ingredients the nicer the bars are.

i just eat them straight out of the freezer. takes less than a minute for the to start thawing out and by the time ive eaten it the last few bits are mush.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 polymath

Thanks for sharing these home recipes. It really means a lot. You don't need to waste good money on something you can make for yourself at home

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭double GG

Love these bars. Very cheap to make and delicious!

made my second batch today.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Are rolled oats different from porridge oats?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭kingcharles82

Made my first batch last night and I'm very impressed,very easy and taste great,very little cost aswell
    Cheers

On my third batch now. Just a tip for storing/eating these as they are so sticky.

I put each individual bar into tesco cheapo food/freezer bags they are about 90cent for 50 or something like that. Take out a bag as you need a bar from the freezer and eat it straight from the bag when its soft enough, it doesn't really stick to the bag at all and as they cheap you can just bin em each time.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

On the stickyness front, you could freeze them and dip them into melted dark chocolate. The chocolate would freeze instantly and form a shell which might make them easier to handle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

After watching this thread pop up on my radar for many years I finally made these on Friday night since I was shopping for a cooking session as I was doing Sunday Lunch!

Well impressed [and that is with me having to get creative with some of the ingredients!]. Great work! Deffo cant see me every buying bars again, and look forward to playing with the recipe a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I still have yet to try this, are people using whey or casein? how mad are people playing with flavors?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,487 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I avoid chocolate flavour whey because I think anything chocolate flavour that isn't chocolate is... wrong.

I use vanilla flavour, but I go all out with the nuttiness. Aside from the ingredients mentioned, I throw in dessicated coconut, sesame seeds, tahini and a little bourneville powder :) I had some almond shavings left over from a korma I made and threw them into my last batch.

Again, well played OP

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭muffinn

I'm glad you all enjoyed it!

Seeing as the thread is alive again I'd like to ask one of the mods to change the amount of water from 150-200ml to 100-150ml. The original amount is way too much, the reason why some people ended up with a mush instead of a firm batter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

would they still be tasty if you used unflavoured whey powder?

guess I could throw some nesquik in there or something

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Thats what I used and they were great..

Will try flavoured powder next time :)

cool, might try them this week :) been saying I'll make them for ages now but just haven't bothered

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

guess I could throw some nesquik in there or something

I do a slightly bastardised version of this recepie with unflavoured, off the top of my head the mix I use is -

6 Scoops Unflavoured Whey
    2 Table Spoons Peanut Butter
    1 Table Spoon Honey
    40g Oats
    50g Dessicated Coconut

Mix Together in bowl, adding water slowly until a solid "ball" is reached

Mix in the following (crush first if you like) -
    30g Hazelnuts
    30g Almonds
    15g Pumpkin Seeds

Flatten in a freezer bag, freeze and cut into 8

guess I'll need to buy a food scale too.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

guess I'll need to buy a food scale too.. :)

I just make it up as I go along and then add water slowly so as not to get mush. It depends on what ingredients I happen to have on the day.

Advertisement