Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alflorex

• 12-05-2014 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi folks. I was at the doc's this morning, and he recommended Alflorex, a new type of probiotic that has just come onto the market here, which can be bought OTC. It's used to treat/manage symptoms of IBS.

Has anyone on here tried it? How have you found it?

I'm on Acidophilus capsules at the moment, but the doc declared them "complete rubbish" this morning! :o

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

How much are they? did the doctor have loads of Alflorex stationery?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭tattykitty

JJayoo wrote: »

Heh, no Alflorex stationery that I could see! :D He's on them himself apparently. No idea how much they are - it's only sold in certain pharmacists in Ireland, Lloyds is one of them, but I can't find the price online anywhere. That's why I figured I'd see if any Boardsies had given them a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Warning: Contains large amounts of Bifidus Emptypocketus

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭tattykitty

Thanks for your input. Have you actually tried it, or do you just disagree with the effectiveness of probiotics in general? As I'm sure you know, having IBS can be pretty miserable while you're still learning to manage it effectively, so I welcome suggestions that might help in some way. I used to be of the mind that a doctor would have my best interests at heart, rather than trying to promote certain products, but perhaps that's a naive opinion nowadays. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭deisedude

If you had IBS you wouldn't be so quick to dismiss anything that could make everyday life easier.

I read about the product in the Indo yesterday, its created in UCC. Going to try it myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jackbetal

Ireland’s been at the forefront of developments in gut health in recent times, particularly the Alimentary Pharmabiotic Centre based at University College Cork. Its new product, Alflorex, is now available in pharmacies across the country, costing €32.95 for a months’ supply. You can find a stockist near you by checking the website here.
    > http://www.alflorexbiotics.com/stockists

http://slaintemagazine.ie/the-secret-to-a-healthy-belly/

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭driftkingire

my mother is on them for the last week but your supposed to take them for at least 3 weeks before you will notice a difference. remind me in 3 weeks and ill let you know if there any good! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 chinkaroo

I'm planning on giving these tablets a chance myself to help my ibs. I happened upon them after reading a charles polequin article championing the type of good bacteria they contain. Up until now the best thing I've used is symprove but that is crazy expensive.

chinkaroo wrote: »
    I'm planning on giving these tablets a chance myself to help my ibs. I happened upon them after reading a charles polequin article championing the type of good bacteria they contain. Up until now the best thing I've used is symprove but that is crazy expensive.

Been taking them for 2 months. Not a miracle drug but have seen a marked improvement in public situations such as going to a gig, going on a bus etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7 a.griffin-flood

JJayoo wrote: »

They cost €32+ in Lloyds Pharmacys. In Rye Pharmacy, Leixlip they are €24.71. Work very well for me so well work it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭candle_wax

Hi, just wondering if any of you have stuck with these and how you're finding them now?

Gastroentorologist recommended them the other day (IBS-D), but not too keen on the €30-ish a month price tag...

Ya I think they're quiet expensive too but I've found them online with free delivery for a little cheaper at inish pharmacy

For me these have worked great. I'm not constantly worrying about an ibs attack anymore. I keep a healthy lifestyle too. Together I'm like a different person.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭candle_wax

Ya I think they're quiet expensive too but I've found them online with free delivery for a little cheaper at inish pharmacy

For me these have worked great. I'm not constantly worrying about an ibs attack anymore. I keep a healthy lifestyle too. Together I'm like a different person.

Hi, thanks for the info - looked at Inish Pharmacy and some really good prices.

I'm going through a pretty good "phase" at the moment, so I'll prob leave it a while before I try them. Good to know some people have found them helpful though - anything that properly eases that horrible constant worry is worth the €€€ in my book anyway.

Thanks again

I'm in the exact same boat.. Think they are working great when combined with eating relatively healthy and exercise

I'm in the exact same boat.. Think they are working great when combined with eating relatively healthy and exercise

This might interest some of you. I got a promotional code sent from the above named pharmacy today for 10% off plus their discount already. 3 packs for €70. The code is ALFSAVER10

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

deisedude wrote: »

5 months later I was wondering if any opinions have since changed regarding this product?

I take these religiously even when I was in South America for 3 weeks. They still work great. I also take some digestive enzymes with my large meals which work great too

SeamusFX wrote: »
    5 months later I was wondering if any opinions have since changed regarding this product?

Nope, I was so bad before I started taking them that I avoided as much as possible going to the shop, going out etc. Also made work very hard and had to miss a few days sick.

Since I've started taking them combined with eating gluten and lactose free and exercise I have been way better. Now don't get me wrong my IBS has not magically disappeared and I think its something I'll always battle with but Alflorex has made my life a lot more manageable

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rmkelly208

Hi, just said i'd post that Alflorex is gone up to €28.99 in The Rye Pharmacy in Leixlip. But this is still cheaper than other places!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Tdoyle

I have been taking them since February and find them really good. If I forget to take them for a few days I know all about it. I also buy them from Inis Pharmacy. I am also following the Fodmap diet which I started with the help and advice of a dietitian and it helps a lot. Like another poster said a combination of healthy diet and exercise works. There are still setbacks and bad days but not as many as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I got these today and took one before reading any reviews. People saying they got bad stints of diarrhoea on them which doesn't help how my bowels work already! Any further reviews?

I got these today and took one before reading any reviews. People saying they got bad stints of diarrhoea on them which doesn't help how my bowels work already! Any further reviews?

It may cause it at the start, the tablets take about a month or so to kick in

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Ive been taking Alforex everyday for the past month it has definitely made a difference.
    I can eat foods that would normally flare up my IBS.

Its no cure still have a minor episode now and again but it has not been as bad since started taking it.

I also irregularly take Charcoal, Digestive Enzymes, and Lepicol. Depending on what I eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Hi everyone,

So I've had this one and off for a couple of years but about 2 months ago bloating started and won't go away. Loss of appetite also. Everything else is normal. The doctor said it's IBS and she believes in my case it's not dietary, but stress-related. I told her my life is good and I'm happy, she says the people who come to her with these symtpoms are typically "high-achievers" and it's basically self-pressure and that excercise helps in addition to a muscle relaxant for the stomach.

So, back to gym. Muscles are getting bigger, but stomach is not getting smaller.

I looked up "IBS success stories" and read about Alforex. I understand people are saying wait a month for some improvement. Just a few days on so far, nothing yet.

I followed up on the research links she offered, e.g. foods that don't help even if not a big trigger. Needle in a haystack doesn't even cover it. I've found a fair bit of quality, reliable research pointing to bacteria in the gut, hence Alflorex. I explained to the doctor that for two summers in a row, 2014/2015, I had some pain in my lower abdomen and in both cases, doctors said I had a "parasite" or "gut infection". One whack of antibiotics and gone, nothing big they said. That means I think it could be related so I hope Alflorex helps. The doctor didn't seem to think that was relevant.

Giant belly today. Grrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 HelKat

Hi everyone,

So I've had this one and off for a couple of years but about 2 months ago bloating started and won't go away. Loss of appetite also. Everything else is normal. The doctor said it's IBS and she believes in my case it's not dietary, but stress-related. I told her my life is good and I'm happy, she says the people who come to her with these symtpoms are typically "high-achievers" and it's basically self-pressure and that excercise helps in addition to a muscle relaxant for the stomach.

So, back to gym. Muscles are getting bigger, but stomach is not getting smaller.

I looked up "IBS success stories" and read about Alforex. I understand people are saying wait a month for some improvement. Just a few days on so far, nothing yet.

I followed up on the research links she offered, e.g. foods that don't help even if not a big trigger. Needle in a haystack doesn't even cover it. I've found a fair bit of quality, reliable research pointing to bacteria in the gut, hence Alflorex. I explained to the doctor that for two summers in a row, 2014/2015, I had some pain in my lower abdomen and in both cases, doctors said I had a "parasite" or "gut infection". One whack of antibiotics and gone, nothing big they said. That means I think it could be related so I hope Alflorex helps. The doctor didn't seem to think that was relevant.

Giant belly today. Grrr.

Hey NewsMeQuick, did the Alfroex help your symptoms? Am considering trying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Adini

HelKat wrote: »
    Hey NewsMeQuick, did the Alfroex help your symptoms? Am considering trying it.

I've been taking it for 5/6 months at this stage and honestly its been life-changing. I had seen multiple doctors, tried every elimination diet, had every test under the sun and had been through a checklist of both prescription and alternative medicines, none of which did a whole lot.

I tried Alflorex based on a recommendation and have found it brilliant. Still have the odd flare up but very infrequently, and I can usually pin it down to having eaten horrendously the days previously.

(FYI It took about 5 or 6 weeks of taking it before I noticed any significant improvements)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 HelKat

Adini wrote: »
    I've been taking it for 5/6 months at this stage and honestly its been life-changing. I had seen multiple doctors, tried every elimination diet, had every test under the sun and had been through a checklist of both prescription and alternative medicines, none of which did a whole lot.

I tried Alflorex based on a recommendation and have found it brilliant. Still have the odd flare up but very infrequently, and I can usually pin it down to having eaten horrendously the days previously.

(FYI It took about 5 or 6 weeks of taking it before I noticed any significant improvements)

Thanks Adini for the info and recommendation. Great to hear it worked so well for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

p.s. it turned out I have coeliac disease, the blood results are positive, therefore bacterial culture like this wouldn't mitigate the immune system labelling and attacking gluten in my case.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057775517

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Upstream

Has anyone tried bone broth soup for IBS?

A quick google seems to indicate it might be helpful.

Advertisement