Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 hurlerford

hardybuck wrote: »
    Well it looks like about 2005 since anyone won a game below senior. Considering that we're putting out 4 teams a year into junior and intermediate competitions, that's totally unacceptable.

Its a very bad indictment of our club structures outside of senior. But i'm sure the waterford county board couldn't give a ****. With this rate of going I dont think waterford will ever be in a position to win an all ireland if it relies only on players coming from senior clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

hurlerford wrote: »
    Its a very bad indictment of our club structures outside of senior. But i'm sure the waterford county board couldn't give a ****. With this rate of going I dont think waterford will ever be in a position to win an all ireland if it relies only on players coming from senior clubs.

If you look at the Cork footballers, most of the squad are junior or intermediate footballers - literally only a handful of senior club players.

There are a number of reasons for this. More junior clubs, junior and inter players all have the opportunity to play senior via divisional teams etc. They also have a very good county junior team, and a lot of players were blooded through this team first before stepping up to senior.

I reckon for young lads coming through from small clubs, you're either hoping to be on a good school team and captured into the development squads early or you're in real trouble.

If you were a member of a junior hurling club in 2012, chances are you got a mere 5 games to play in this year. Chances are they were played sporadically as well, with long gaps between games.

If you were a member of a county side you'd get regular high quality training and games you'd be ok, but otherwise you'd be on the scrap heap with few routes out.

I think it's very unfair to think that two lads could be sitting together in school and have similar levels of ability, but be members of different clubs. One lad may be from a senior club, and play regular (ish) games, have good facilities and good training to aid his development, while his neighbour will probably drift further and further away every year due to poor structures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

If you look at the Cork footballers, most of the squad are junior or intermediate footballers - literally only a handful of senior club players.

There are a number of reasons for this. More junior clubs, junior and inter players all have the opportunity to play senior via divisional teams etc. They also have a very good county junior team, and a lot of players were blooded through this team first before stepping up to senior.

I reckon for young lads coming through from small clubs, you're either hoping to be on a good school team and captured into the development squads early or you're in real trouble.

If you were a member of a junior hurling club in 2012, chances are you got a mere 5 games to play in this year. Chances are they were played sporadically as well, with long gaps between games.

If you were a member of a county side you'd get regular high quality training and games you'd be ok, but otherwise you'd be on the scrap heap with few routes out.

I think it's very unfair to think that two lads could be sitting together in school and have similar levels of ability, but be members of different clubs. One lad may be from a senior club, and play regular (ish) games, have good facilities and good training to aid his development, while his neighbour will probably drift further and further away every year due to poor structures.

...And importantly, the fact that they have 250 clubs!

We are not Cork. Compare us to Kilkenny or Clare, or another County of a similar size.

...And importantly, the fact that they have 250 clubs!

We are not Cork. Compare us to Kilkenny or Clare, or another County of a similar size.

Yeah please read line two or three of my statement there, we all know we're not Cork, but it's a very interesting comparison.

The main part of my point is the plight of the junior player, and perhaps intermediate also. If you're unlucky to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, i.e. a junior club right now, things are going to be tougher for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Terrible decision, no continuation of management from the minor panels. Clare do the opposite and improve further at U21 while we bring in new people and the team put in a poor performance.

Did any of the former managers/selectors actually put themselves forward for it?

• Advertisement

Darragh is from Ballygunner, Shane's brother. He has managed ballygunner minor, u21s and seniors in the past. Very astute. My question would be over Macdara's inclusion!

Mac Dara was in charge of the co. minors a few years back and has experience with coaching a number of clubs in the west including FMW.

I hope hes a better selector than he is commentator

Did any of the former managers/selectors actually put themselves forward for it?

Chuck O Connor and Jimmy Meaney were meant to be interested, both managed the county minors in 2011 and 2010. I guess the county board overlooked them due to requests for better funding or something when they were managers of the minors. Next year expect the u21's to put in another poor showing, if former respected county players cant get the best out of players at this level who are only introduced to the players at this age level then expect more of the same performances.

Chuck O Connor and Jimmy Meaney were meant to be interested, both managed the county minors in 2011 and 2010. I guess the county board overlooked them due to requests for better funding or something when they were managers of the minors. Next year expect the u21's to put in another poor showing, if former respected county players cant get the best out of players at this level who are only introduced to the players at this age level then expect more of the same performances.

I wouldnt be as pessimistic.
    Just because Chuck O'Connor and Jimmy Meaney were mangers at minor dosent necessarily mean they are automatically the right men for the job at u21 level aswell. Fair enough you need certain continuity but I can remember both Chuck and Meaney coming in for a lot of criticism on this very board aswell.
    Sometimes a fresh voice is whats needed and it could wipe the slate clean if there is any baggage between players and previous management. Id be happy enough with the guys that are picked. Peter Queally is respected as a coach/manager and has good experience at this stage. Its very important that we right the wrongs of this year. They key is here I think is to get a system going where the 21s are training regularly with the seniors, given that so many 21s are going to be on the senior panel more than likely. A lot of stories last year that the 21s were having poor numbers at training and not having access to their lads on the senior panel for challenge games ect.
    That defeat in Ennis was a big setback. The challenge is there weve got Clare in our own backyard again after what happened last year if there is real metal in these young talented Waterford players were sure to see it in that game next summer.

De la Salle are playing in the Dean Ryan U161/2 munster A final tomorrow. They're playing Gaelcholiste Mhuire from cork city. Were they known as North Mon in years gone by or is this a seperate school?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 needcar1

Fairly sure ballyduff won some munster junior football game in 2008

• Advertisement

needcar1 wrote: »
    Fairly sure ballyduff won some munster junior football game in 2008

jaysus were clutching at straws now

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

jaysus were clutching at straws now

LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Just saw the draws for the 2013 U21 and minor championships, didn't realise they'd been done already. Tough draws I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Judging by the average defeats from our u21 and Minor over last few years in both codes, every draw is a tough draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,552 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

so what does everyone think of the Appointment of Kildare man Niall Carew as the new Waterford Senoir Football Manager.

Comes from a very good Kildare Setup.

Really thought they we would appoint a Waterford man to the job.

Best of Luck to him anyway, hopefully he can get promotion in the league and we go far in the championship

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

PTH2009 wrote: »
    so what does everyone think of the Appointment of Kildare man Niall Carew as the new Waterford Senoir Football Manager.

Best of Luck to him anyway, hopefully he can get promotion in the league and we go far in the championship
    Surprised, delighted. Thought they'd be settling for a manager as opposed to getting one with such experience.

solarith wrote: »
    Judging by the average defeats from our u21 and Minor over last few years in both codes, every draw is a tough draw.

We'll pump the money into the senior footballers instead!! For a county so much in debt i'd love to know how much the 2 kildare boys are costing?? Then if we get out of div 4 that will be deemed as"success"!! Will Niall head the fundraising campaign for his panel as Michael Ryan is doing for his?

zol 2 wrote: »
    We'll pump the money into the senior footballers instead!! For a county so much in debt i'd love to know how much the 2 kildare boys are costing?? Then if we get out of div 4 that will be deemed as"success"!! Will Niall head the fundraising campaign for his panel as Michael Ryan is doing for his?

Id imagine its not that much I think Carew is in it for the experience of intercounty football management as opposed to the money. Its a great appointment hes young, fresh, eager and has experienced a professional setup in Kildare, hes the perfect candidate really. I can guarantee he comes a damn sight cheaper than Micko does to Clare.

Were led to believe that the financial tide has been stemmed to an extent and this appointment dosent stink of the kind of desperation that previous appointments in various other teams have

Id imagine its not that much I think Carew is in it for the experience of intercounty football management as opposed to the money. Its a great appointment hes young, fresh, eager and has experienced a professional setup in Kildare, hes the perfect candidate really. I can guarantee he comes a damn sight cheaper than Micko does to Clare.

Were led to believe that the financial tide has been stemmed to an extent and this appointment dosent stink of the kind of desperation that previous appointments in various other teams have[/QUO

But something isn't adding up then as i spoke to an ex player that was approached for the position and he was told that very limited resources would only be available to him and that fundraising would have to be done if more finances were needed? Can't imagine the new gaffer buying in to this somehow?
    Maybe a backer was found?

I would agree though,Micko wouldn't be cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MikemacC

A huge and very well deserved “Comhgairdeachas “to the “bhoys “ of Waterford’s, De La Salle college , who ,this afternoon, in the Fraher field in Dungarvan, overcame a tough , Gaelcholáiste Mhuire outfit from the North Monastery in Cork to secure, the Dean Ryan cup for only the third time in the colleges history , since the inauguration of this U/16 ½ Munster college's hurling tournament, way back in in 1936.

In a tough fought encounter the Déise squad's hurling superiority was too much for the Leesiders . A goal each from Dessie Hutchinson and Craig Browne provided the perfect platform for DLS to run out comfortable winners with a score of 2.15 to 10 points.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

Pity for waterford hurling that Dessie is going accross the water after xmas playing soccer. Best of luck to him, will be a big blow to his club and to waterford to lose a talent like his but really is too good an opportunity for the young lad to turn down!

So do anyone think De la Salle have a chance against Thurles Sarsfields this Sunday. Thurles appear to be strong favourites with impressive wins against Drum & Inch in their county final and against cork champions Sarsfields from Glanmire. They have a rake of experienced county players in their team like Padraig Maher, Lar Corbert, Pa Bourke, Michael Gleeson, Johnny Enright and good up and coming young hurlers. I was very surprised to learn they have been Tipperary champions 32 times and have yet to win munster. Their like the mount sion of tipp but even mount sion have won it twice. This year they seem destined to break that streak in munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭thesultan

Sars only started back winning Tipperary championships after a long absence recentley. They seem to have some very fine forwards.

PTH2009 wrote: »

I'm very surprised. Same as you I thought it would be someone local. Apparently the guy Kelly he has brought with him as selector is well respected as well. I think he might have won a Junior All Ireland with Kildare.

I hope he's coming in with his eyes open though. He'll be used to full co-operation in Kildare, and a terrific local support. JHopefully he doesn't get frustrated and disheartened with what he finds in Waterford.

MikemacC wrote: »
    A huge and very well deserved “Comhgairdeachas “to the “bhoys “ of Waterford’s, De La Salle college , who ,this afternoon, in the Fraher field in Dungarvan, overcame a tough , Gaelcholáiste Mhuire outfit from the North Monastery in Cork to secure, the Dean Ryan cup for only the third time in the colleges history , since the inauguration of this U/16 ½ Munster college's hurling tournament, way back in in 1936.

In a tough fought encounter the Déise squad's hurling superiority was too much for the Leesiders . A goal each from Dessie Hutchinson and Craig Browne provided the perfect platform for DLS to run out comfortable winners with a score of 2.15 to 10 points.

Positive signs for Waterford in bleak times. Last year Blackwater defeated Dungarvan CBS in the final so Waterford schools will be looking strong at colleges level for the next couple years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭Cake Man

MikemacC wrote: »

Great stuff, well done to all involved. Best of luck to DLS on Sunday, hopefully they can secure a third Munster club and keep the momentum train going.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

I'm very surprised. Same as you I thought it would be someone local. Apparently the guy Kelly he has brought with him as selector is well respected as well. I think he might have won a Junior All Ireland with Kildare.
    To the best of my knowledge Kildare have never won a Junior or Minor All Ireland. Terrible record for a strong football county. Carew is a good appointment by Waterford, but underage football has fallen way behind all the other Munster counties and needs to be seriously improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

So do anyone think De la Salle have a chance against Thurles Sarsfields this Sunday. Thurles appear to be strong favourites with impressive wins against Drum & Inch in their county final and against cork champions Sarsfields from Glanmire. They have a rake of experienced county players in their team like Padraig Maher, Lar Corbert, Pa Bourke, Michael Gleeson, Johnny Enright and good up and coming young hurlers. I was very surprised to learn they have been Tipperary champions 32 times and have yet to win munster. Their like the mount sion of tipp but even mount sion have won it twice. This year they seem destined to break that streak in munster.

In fairness it's really 7 times the other 25 times they won the tipp championship they won it prior to the interduction of the munster championship.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

So do anyone think De la Salle have a chance against Thurles Sarsfields this Sunday.

Lets hope they win, but I have come up with a recent stat which hopefully De La Salle can do something about reversing. http://deiseabu.blogspot.ie/

• Advertisement

Best of luck to both De la Salle and Kilmacthomas today. Anyone know if the Salle game is on TG4

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement