Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Police Staff Jobs

• 16-06-2011 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭pastiesupper

Some of you mentioned that you were interested in police staff jobs - see below link from PSNI Facebook page......

http://www.facebook.com/PoliceServiceNI

Career news: We are currently recruiting for Fingerprint Officers and a Website & Digital Communication Officer. Check the support team website for more information.

safe_image.php?d=b10ade5f6ddc8fdaffb4f43809979b37&w=90&h=90&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.grecruit.co.uk%2Ferecruitacm%2Fimage%2Fhome_28.gif
    The Support Team

http://thesupportteam.erecruit.co.uk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Wonderful

Does anyone know what course/qualification you have to do in Northern Ireland to become eligible to apply for a Fingerprint Officer? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Wonderful wrote: »
    Does anyone know what course/qualification you have to do in Northern Ireland to become eligible to apply for a Fingerprint Officer? Thanks.

Unless you have three years experience you cant get the job, check out the belfast telegraph today or the sunday life to see the advert, will more then likely be in the irish news as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

One of the jobs is looking for experience in a customer facing role, I have worked in the same place since I left college and have never had a customer facing role, how important do you reckon that part is?

I might just apply for it anyway, it's not like they'll shoot me.........hopefully!:D:o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,631 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I suppose it would depend on which one it is and how important customer facing experience would be to the role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Shield wrote: »
    I suppose it would depend on which one it is and how important customer facing experience would be to the role.

Well I've read the description and it appears the main role is to provide assistance to a department, it doesn't sound too customer facing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭pastiesupper

There are a few more roles just added: Assistant Investigator, Administrative Support Officer (ASO) and Forensic Accountant.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭rookie_boarder

There are a few more roles just added: Assistant Investigator, Administrative Support Officer (ASO) and Forensic Accountant.

assistant investigator...i would think you would need to be in the police for this role, read the criteria, sure some people not in the police could have the skills, what i'm saying...is this not a type of detective role...?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,631 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Reminder:

For those of you who have already, or will be applying for any PSNI civilian role, please bear in mind that the threat from dissidents extends to civilian staff as well as officers. With that in mind, I would advise that you only discuss your application with those who need to know what you're doing. You must be mindful of your personal security from the moment you apply, so for your own good, keep the number of people you tell to an absolute minimum.

Having said that, I wish anyone who has applied the best of luck with your application.

• I'll be putting in for the ASO one anyways, it's finally one that doesn't require any strange and unusual experience or qualifications :D Sure it may be basically an office job and nowhere near the ultimate goal that is wearing the green...but I'd be pretty happy I reckon! Disappointed to see there's no interview involved once again though, talking the talk is what I do best :rolleyes:

Assistant investigator would be pretty cool though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Perish the thought that I sound in any way cynical , however I can't help but feel that Assistant Investigator role is designed to be one that only ex Police Officers can realistically apply for.
    The job spec states that experience of criminal investigation is required - well where is a ' civilian ' supposed to have gained this experience ?

This really sounds like a ' jobs for the boys ' exercise , it would be most illuminating for someone to submit an FOI request in 6 or 8 months time to enquire what % of these positions went to former Police Officers.

Like I said , forgive my apparent cynicism :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Delancey wrote: »
    Perish the thought that I sound in any way cynical , however I can't help but feel that Assistant Investigator role is designed to be one that only ex Police Officers can realistically apply for.
    The job spec states that experience of criminal investigation is required - well where is a ' civilian ' supposed to have gained this experience ?

This really sounds like a ' jobs for the boys ' exercise , it would be most illuminating for someone to submit an FOI request in 6 or 8 months time to enquire what % of these positions went to former Police Officers.

Like I said , forgive my apparent cynicism :rolleyes:
    To make things even more interesting, in your FOI request, why not ask how many successful applicants are ex-FTR. The smart people out there will realise exactly what this job is.

If you need a little help, think about there not being any campaign this year and possibly next. Now have a look at the 12 weeks training in Garnerville, followed by driving, personal safety, first ai... wait a minute!

*clink*

I think I just heard a penny drop in many heads.

Not to mention of course the fact that as former Police officers ( regular or FTR ) they are permitted to carry a PPW - thus neatly overcoming the Policing Boards resistance to the Chief Constables idea of armed ' civilian ' roles - brilliant !

No likey no lighty! 'stealth' recruitment as its previously been described as, grinds my gears. Forget about the politics and just say we need more officers (you could still make a few intakes using 5050 of course from the list thats at the bottom of your drawer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 life_of_west

has anyone had a reply from any of the positions they applied for yet?

I am such a tool, I thought the closing date for applications was the 18th not the 8th. doh

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kitchensink

Haven't heard a thing. I would imagine that they were inundated with applications.

• Had my app for the ASO pretty much all done, left it for a bit, forgot all about it for a while, remembered about it again the day after the closing date :rolleyes: Aw shucks...ah well I'd imagine there would be a fierce amount in for it so probably nothing lost in the end!

I'd be interested to hear about those who applied for the Investigator role and were not from an FTR background.

I'd be interested to hear about those who applied for the Investigator role and were not from an FTR background.
    Don't hold your breath! Look at the spec. I personally believe they were deliberately specced for either those who either took Patten or are ex-FTR.

Absolutely agree . Requiring applicants to have experience of criminal investigations at a stroke rules out anyone not ex-Police , I would be interested though to learn if those without the required background even get to assessment stage or will they be ' screened out ' ?
    In due course an FOI request will confirm if our suspicions are well-founded or not.

Mind you , I have heard that some FTR have never even taken a statement in their careers.

• Advertisement

I applied for the assistant investigator role and I don't have any policing experience. I work as a civilian investigator carrying out criminal investigations for a non policing agency. If I ddn't get short listed, be assured that I will be asking questions.

Given that you have criminal investigation experience kitchensink ( something very few civilians would have ) then you may well be in with a shot . The fact that ex-Police are permitted to carry a PPW may prove significant in the scheme of things.
    I remain convinced the vast majority appointed to the role will be ex-Police but I wish you the very best of luck with your application.

Cheers, I will keep you's informed in my progress.

I do agree with your view that it seems to be jobs for the boys but then again would they want to spend the money training ex police who may only do the job for a few years.

Time will only tell.

I heard today of someone with a non-Police investigative background who applied to the investigator role , they got ' Dear John'd ' without being invited for any tests , assessment or interview :rolleyes:.

I got a letter stating that the short listing won't be completed until mid August.

I got a letter stating that the short listing won't be completed until mid August.

Good , still hope for you then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 siv4444

I too received a letter saying currently shortlisting and would hear by mid august. Im from a non police background.
    If someone has already got a 'Dear John' would that imply they have done a 1st round of short listing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭sydnor

I also got a letter about shortlisting a few days ago.

In the case of the applicant I am aware of he also got the shortlisting letter ( which made mention of a very large volume of applications I understand ) followed a few days later by a Dear John - hang in there I say !

• Advertisement

In the case of the applicant I am aware of he also got the shortlisting letter ( which made mention of a very large volume of applications I understand ) followed a few days later by a Dear John - hang in there I say !

Still haven't heard anything. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing. What about anyone else?

Advertisement