Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Well done to Cootehill on winning the intermediate this evening, sounds like Hessin had one hell of a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Serious 2nd half from cootehill . They moved the ball at breakneck speed ballyhaise really had no answer to them . Hessan scored around 1-08 . A serious talent . Would love to see him in around the senior panel soon .
    Good luck to the 2 teams in junior final today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

arva had a handy win in the Junior Final yesterday. Ballymachugh never showed up, Thats 7 finals in a row they have lost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

willabur wrote: »
    arva had a handy win in the Junior Final yesterday. Ballymachugh never showed up, Thats 7 finals in a row they have lost

Very dissapointing effort from Ballymachugh alright but Arva did what they had to and have some nice footballers.

Kinsgscourt and Gaels final in the Senior - I had fancied Ballinagh to get through yesterday and had a chance to level the match up. Not sure Kingscourt have enough firepower to beat the Gaels but stranger things have happened.

not so sure the gaels are as strong as the replay result against lacken would suggest
    should be a decent game

nice to see arva getting their title after coming so close last year

saw somewhere cootehill play portglenone of antrim in ulster , its down for the 19th of october in kbp @2 30 , will this be before the senior final or is it this weekend ?

• Advertisement

cavan4sam wrote: »
    not so sure the gaels are as strong as the replay result against lacken would suggest
    should be a decent game

nice to see arva getting their title after coming so close last year

saw somewhere cootehill play portglenone of antrim in ulster , its down for the 19th of october in kbp @2 30 , will this be before the senior final or is it this weekend ?

Lacken game really told nothing about where the Gaels are at - Lacken were awful and didn't show up. It's really hard to know where the Gaels are at to be honest as Cuchuallains were never going to trouble them.

Final is set for this coming Sunday at 4 pm. Winners play Derry champions (Ballinderry) a fortnight later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Dixon1983

I see SJ kicked 1-8 to get player of the week. Must be due a recall to the squad if that form keeps up. Hyland always said if a player playing well at club level he would consider him. Has Terence the balls now to bring Seanie back in? Or is he just a mouthpiece spouting ****e that he thinks ppl want to hear? Time will tell

Dixon1983 wrote: »
    I see SJ kicked 1-8 to get player of the week. Must be due a recall to the squad if that form keeps up. Hyland always said if a player playing well at club level he would consider him. Has Terence the balls now to bring Seanie back in? Or is he just a mouthpiece spouting ****e that he thinks ppl want to hear? Time will tell

grabs popcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

willabur wrote: »
    grabs popcorn

Can open. Worms Everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Has he the balls? I'd say so yes.
    Is he stupid enough to bring in an overrated arrogant turncoat that we were blessed to get rid of in the first place? No, I don't think so.

• Advertisement

Has he the balls? I'd say so yes.
    Is he stupid enough to bring in an overrated arrogant turncoat that we were blessed to get rid of in the first place? No, I don't think so.
    it's quiet possible our Terence could also be overrated as a Senior inter county manager. What's his claim to fame? A win against Derry in the qualifiers? Well even Longford achieved that. If Hyland is serious about giving everyone a chance well that means everybody doesn't it? Otherwise there is no incentive for club footballers to improve .

So Seanie scores 1-8 against Cuchullains and he deserves a call up. If Thomas Wakely lets Seanie out of his pocket in the final and he gets near the same it might be a debate worth having. Until then I'll reserve judgement.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    So Seanie scores 1-8 against Cuchullains and he deserves a call up. If Thomas Wakely lets Seanie out of his pocket in the final and he gets near the same it might be a debate worth having. Until then I'll reserve judgement.
    . Thomas who? Johnstone has nothing to prove to anyone in Cavan regarding his ability. There are plenty of doughnuts already in the senior panel who can't take a score from 30m.,but Terence has a soft spot for them because they his former u21s. That's no way to run a county team. That panel is harder to get off than to get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

. Thomas who? Johnstone has nothing to prove to anyone in Cavan regarding his ability. There are plenty of doughnuts already in the senior panel who can't take a score from 30m.,but Terence has a soft spot for them because they his former u21s. That's no way to run a county team. That panel is harder to get off than to get on.

Who is Johnstone?

celt262 wrote: »
    Who is Johnstone?

wristy hurler from kildare i'm told

celt262 wrote: »
    Who is Johnstone?

Who is Terence??

Terence is suppose to be the saviour of our senior setup!

OMG I hear McHales name being mentioned as maybe joining the back room team. His own county didn't seem to want him nor Westmeath!.. I hear he is a very good basketball coach. That might suit us as we don't kick the ball anyway.!! I can see things going from bad to worse here. A quick return to Div 3 a first round championship loss and bang out goes Terence and in comes Saint Peter Reilly! The script has already been written. And get your money on Tom "no all" Reilly being Central Council Rep next year. Cos he won't go quietly!

OMG I hear McHales name being mentioned as maybe joining the back room team. His own county didn't seem to want him nor Westmeath!.. I hear he is a very good basketball coach. That might suit us as we don't kick the ball anyway.!! I can see things going from bad to worse here. A quick return to Div 3 a first round championship loss and bang out goes Terence and in comes Saint Peter Reilly! The script has already been written. And get your money on Tom "no all" Reilly being Central Council Rep next year. Cos he won't go quietly!

ouch we have a few issues dont we ????
    I'll reserve judgement until I see what kind of football we play this year but I'd hoping we can rattle monaghan in the 1st round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

ouch we have a few issues dont we ????
    I'll reserve judgement until I see what kind of football we play this year but I'd hoping we can rattle monaghan in the 1st round

In all fairness I can see the winner of the cavan/monaghan match getting to the ulster final with a 50/50 chance of winning it. Any idea if that match is in Cavan?

• Advertisement

lycan238 wrote: »
    In all fairness I can see the winner of the cavan/monaghan match getting to the ulster final with a 50/50 chance of winning it. Any idea if that match is in Cavan?

Yes it is in kbp as cavan were first team out

Yes it is in kbp as cavan were first team out
    Look we got 9 months to prepare for Monaghan . To be honest they are fairly predictable in the way they play. This year mcGuinness knew if won Ulster he would meet the Dubs hence the jumping for joy after the Ulster final win. His 9 months perpetration to beat the Dubs then paid off. Questions will really be asked of this set of players and management if we can't put it up to an ageing Monaghan team.

This is it now boys a real chance for this group of players and management to get to an Ulster Final. The time for excuses is over and if things don't go well it will be time for some to move on.

I think if we could handpick the 3 teams to be in our half that's the 3 I would pick. Monaghan are limited .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

I think if we could handpick the 3 teams to be in our half that's the 3 I would pick. Monaghan are limited .

Limited yes but their full back line is pretty good. Keating and Dunne got absolutely nothing off them last year, and unless the gameplan changes it will be the same again this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

His ability is not in question. Its his attitude thats the problem

Limited yes but their full back line is pretty good. Keating and Dunne got absolutely nothing off them last year, and unless the gameplan changes it will be the same again this year

It the game plan doesn't change it will be relegation in the league and difficult times for Terry.

Gameplan has to change . We can't keep playing this defensive ****e football where we don't even kick the ****ing ball. There is so real experience needed to be added to the back room team. Hyland can't do it all himself and I honestly don't think Forde is up to the task. We seemed to be lacking tactical know how during games thus relying on the usual late substitutions to change games that were already lost. I think Terry needs an experienced outsider who can give a fair and balanced view someone like mc Hugh or Boylan or mcEniff who have experience of match day situations who also won't be a threat to Terry's position either.their is no real inter county management experience in the set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Seriously? You'd pick Monaghan over Derry or Down, even Armagh or Tyrone?

I think the local derby aspect will mean it's a tough, tight game, but I'd still have Monaghan as second behind Donegal in Ulster. They may be limited, but their defence is excellent and McManus up front can do damage on his own.

Winners of that tie surely into the final, should be great motivation for both sides.

P.S. Also your aging remark about the Monaghan team is way off the mark, looking through their age profile shows a young enough side with 2-3 exceptions.

• Advertisement

shrewdness wrote: »
    Seriously? You'd pick Monaghan over Derry or Down, even Armagh or Tyrone?

I think the local derby aspect will mean it's a tough, tight game, but I'd still have Monaghan as second behind Donegal in Ulster. They may be limited, but their defence is excellent and McManus up front can do damage on his own.
    Winners of that tie surely into the final, should be great motivation for both sides.

P.S. Also your aging remark about the Monaghan team is way off the mark, looking through their age profile shows a young enough side with 2-3 exceptions.
    We could have and should have beaten Monaghan last year with a bit of luck. Monaghan certainly haven't got any better since their Ulster win and we have the potential to greatly improve if we get our back room and game plan right. Throw in the fact that's it's a local derby where form goes out the window and it's also in Breffni. I'd rather gave monaghan any day for those reasons before any team in the other half. Also Their average age is way higher than ours.

Advertisement