Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SD card hell

• 08-08-2013 11:54am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is it just me or are Android phones just not really designed for micros SD cards?
    I've never had one that didn't constantly have problems with the card randomly showing up as blank or corrupted and spending forever fiddling around until they start working again. The same cards seem to work fine in cameras and PCs.

It might be my imagination but it seems to have got worse since ICS, on phones across the board. Is Google deliberately crippling SD cards in order to move people away from them and towards their phones with their small storage space and the cloud?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

Is it just me or are Android phones just not really designed for micros SD cards?
    I've never had one that didn't constantly have problems with the card randomly showing up as blank or corrupted and spending forever fiddling around until they start working again. The same cards seem to work fine in cameras and PCs.

It might be my imagination but it seems to have got worse since ICS, on phones across the board. Is Google deliberately crippling SD cards in order to move people away from them and towards their phones with their small storage space and the cloud?

I've just sent back an aData card that kept becoming unreadable.

I have come to hate SD cards in general.

I wonder do they use a higher quality of card for the internal disk - if they went bad at the same rate as the external cards the bins would be full of expensive handsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Alot of people buy cheap cards thinking there is no difference with them. I've high end cards for years and have never had a problem with them, i find them very reliable.

Guess i'm lucky to have never had a problem with them before

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Alot of people buy cheap cards thinking there is no difference with them. I've high end cards for years and have never had a problem with them, i find them very reliable.

Guess i'm lucky to have never had a problem with them before

Can you recommend a brand? I've tried most of the major ones but found no real difference. The Kingston one in my tablet has never gien me any grief but I'm almost sure I had a Kingston one act the mick after only a week in a phone before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Can you recommend a brand? I've tried most of the major ones but found no real difference. The Kingston one in my tablet has never gien me any grief but I'm almost sure I had a Kingston one act the mick after only a week in a phone before.

Where are you buying the cards.

eBay?? China??

There are fakes everywhere, but I think there is s/w available to check them....

I'll look up and paste... Asap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

If you look at the devices you see Google put out i think you will find your answer. They try to distance themselves from SD storage for a couple of reasons but alot of their customers want that option. Id have to agree with the other posters id try a decent brand from a known source theres way to much fakes or cheap SD cards going around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

To echo the rest, cheap cards(especially fakes) will cause you loads of trouble like that.

Currently using a Lexar 32GB Class10 MicroSD. Works a treat, never any issues.

1. Dont buy from ebay!
    2. If its too cheap, its fake
    3. Buy good brands, eg Sandisk, Kingston, Lexar
    4. Pick a good class, 6 or 10, no point having superfast NAND storage if half your apps are on sluggish SD cards

Mine:
    http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDHC/Lexar/Lexar-32GB-Class-10-10MB_s-High-Speed-Micro-SDHC-Memory-Card-with-Reader

Option 2
    http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDHC/SanDisk/SanDisk-32GB-Mobile-Ultra-Micro-SD-%28SDHC%29-Card---Class-10-UHS-1-%2B-SD-Adapter

Or Amamzon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=32gb%20micro%20sdhc&sprefix=32GB+mic%2Caps%2C139&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A32gb%20micro%20sdhc

Have a Samsung 32GB regular C10 SD for my cameras, very happy with that too. Considering they lead the world for NAND they cant be a bad choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-microSDHC-Ultra-adapter-Mobile/dp/B007JTKLEK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1376060468&sr=8-6&keywords=sd+card+micro+32gb

This is my current SD Card (Thats used in my phone)

Had no problems since i bought it (4 months)

Kenno90 wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-microSDHC-Ultra-adapter-Mobile/dp/B007JTKLEK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1376060468&sr=8-6&keywords=sd+card+micro+32gb

This is my current SD Card (Thats used in my phone)

Had no problems since i bought it (4 months)

Hi, you can register this card, if you have not already done so, with Sandisk, at MySandisk

I did it when I bought a 16GB, see here, it gives warranty, for 5 years, and it confirms that you have a genuine SD card.....see my details.

MySandisk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Oh, thats interesting...*tries it out*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Bought a Kingston one from Amazon and now it's dead, surely Amazon wouldn't be selling fakes? Highly frustrating anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

Unfortunately not everything that's sold on Amazon is being sold bt Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

long_b wrote: »
    Unfortunately not everything that's sold on Amazon is being sold bt Amazon.

It was sold by Amazon EU S.a.r.L? Would that not be Amazon as well?

Its not even the fact my card has failed, grand if I bought a new one and it was guaranteed it worked but it seems like there is no guarantee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

my 32gb class10 from memoryc.com failed within 10 days in my gs3.

poxy ****ing phone.

RMA'd and was gonna get a replacement, guy said check online that the gs3 is known to **** over sd cards so got a refund.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

niallo24 wrote: »
    Bought a Kingston one from Amazon and now it's dead, surely Amazon wouldn't be selling fakes? Highly frustrating anyway.

My card was forever wiping itself clean aswell. I hooked it uo to my laptop and formatted it, it has ben fine since! Might be worth a try.

My card was forever wiping itself clean aswell. I hooked it uo to my laptop and formatted it, it has ben fine since! Might be worth a try.

If formatting SD, use the SD Association official formatter.....

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

• We have 4 smart phones in the house, all with Sandisk cards in then and have never had a problem (touch wood!).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

my sandisk 32gb died in a s3. theres no guarantees it wont happen.

Advertisement