Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Black Keys - 22nd August 2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

dr gonzo wrote: »
    I've been looking forward to this for a while and have been meaning to pick up my ticket but like the rest of you I'm extremely wary of this new turn of events...

Ive been listening to them since Thickfreakness and I must admit (in as unsnobbish a way as I can muster) the level they've shot to with El Camino, particularly Lonely Boy, has me a little put out. Not that I dont wish the guys every success, which they absolutely deserve, but I wasnt able to scrounge a ticket for Tripod and the nails been hit on the head here, Its gonna be a huge venue filled with young lads who like one song.

That's the truth but what can you do when it is a nation of children who only hear the most mainstream of the stream and the biggest hits on the radio etc. They then proceed to call it their favourite band. I'm 16 btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Will be keeping a close eye on this thread to see when people start getting their tickets. I had to order through their automated system by telephone and I'm definitely worried that my Oirish accent could have fudged up things a bit! Didn't even get to take down the confirmation number!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

Serious amount of snobbery in this thread guys. I've been a fan for a good few years now also but really looking forward to seeing them in August ( I'm going to Belfast as well as this gig).
    El camino was a monster, they are more popular now as a result, get over it !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭DylanJames

s8n wrote: »
    Serious amount of snobbery in this thread guys. I've been a fan for a good few years now also but really looking forward to seeing them in August ( I'm going to Belfast as well as this gig).

I'm sick of people being automatically labelled a music snob if they criticise the direction a band is going in, people are entitled to their opinions. El Camino was nowhere near the standard you'd exepct from them, too many 'pop' songs and not enough of the dirty blues they're known for. They're now popular because of 'Lonely Boy' etc and to be honest, that song is pretty piss poor.

I'll still be at the gig come August but compared to Tripod 2 years ago, I can't see the O2 gig holding a candle to it, especially as has already been said, the fact there'll be thousands of one-song fans who'll stand and chat for the other 14-15 songs, waiting for the one they heard on the radio

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

DylanJames wrote: »
    I'm sick of people being automatically labelled a music snob if they criticise the direction a band is going in, people are entitled to their opinions.
    It's more the fact that people are dimissing anyone who got into them since they got more popular. Because they weren't into them before, there's no way they could like their older stuff.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

It's more the fact that people are dimissing anyone who got into them since they got more popular. Because they weren't into them before, there's no way they could like their older stuff.

Actually i am 1 of those people who got into them after Lonely Boy (i had heard of them before but never listened to them) . When i get into a band like this i will actually start working my way through their back catalogue and ive recently bought Brothers which i really like and will over the next while start getting more older material so when i see them in Belfast i wont be just one of these one of "thousands of one-song fans who'll stand and chat for the other 14-15 songs, waiting for the one they heard on the radio"

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

I'm really looking forward to seeing The Black Keys in the O2. They really deserve their success. It will be my third time seeing them after seeing in the old TBMC after Magic Potion was released and then again in Tripod on their Brothers tour, which was a crackin gig. I've loved their stuff ever since I discovered Rubber Factory when it first came out. I appreciate they will have gained a lot of new fans with their latest sound, but to be honest I do like El Camino. It's not as good as 'Brothers' or 'Rubber Factory' but still a damn good album and miles better than stuff being produced by other bands of similar popularity. No band can stand still and just churn out more of the same as they just run out of ideas and produce mediocrity. It's no surprise they went with this route after hearing Dan Aurbach's solo album and the work they did on the Blakroc colloboration album.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Who cares if some of the crowd will be there just because of Lonely Boy? The die hard fans will still be there, and the Keys are one of the best live bands around. That's all that matters to me. I can't wait to see them again.

I'm sick of people being automatically labelled a music snob if they criticise the direction a band is going in, people are entitled to their opinions. El Camino was nowhere near the standard you'd exepct from them, too many 'pop' songs and not enough of the dirty blues they're known for. They're now popular because of 'Lonely Boy' etc and to be honest, that song is pretty piss poor.

I'll still be at the gig come August but compared to Tripod 2 years ago, I can't see the O2 gig holding a candle to it, especially as has already been said, the fact there'll be thousands of one-song fans who'll stand and chat for the other 14-15 songs, waiting for the one they heard on the radio

By definition, you are being a snob. This is very similar to Arcade Fire when they blew up, lots of people claim to have seen them when they were nobodies at EP. I think there was even an "I saw Arcade Fire before you" T-shirt !!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

seen them in tripod and oxegen . flew over to see them twice in alexandra palace in february.

noticable change in clientele and setlist. crowd went mad for lonely boy and didnt pay much attention to the old stuff.
    didnt play half the stuff i expected.

ill be there in august but i look back to the halcyon days of that tripod gig where they blew the roof off the place with misty eyes......

one of my favourite bands but itll never be the same. its kings of leon all over again.

call it snobbery,call it hipsterish. i dont care. its the ****ing truth

• Advertisement

The song hooker with a p3nis by Tool springs to mind !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

The song hooker with a p3nis by Tool springs to mind !!

Hell, they even admit it themselves:

On the topic of the type of crowd there, I really don't think you'll get many people shelling out €40-odd on the back of liking one song, and sure even if they've only heard El Camino, so what? This will be the perfect place for them to be introduced to more Black Keys material, and dig deeper into their catalog. Black Keys have gotten bigger after their last album, maybe young teenagers like them, so fucking what? Would you be happier if these kids liked manufactured soulless pop rather than them enjoying actual good music? There's no pleasing some people!

I'm going to see them with the Foo fightters in Belfast too! We're acting as groupies :P

Hell, they even admit it themselves:

On the topic of the type of crowd there, I really don't think you'll get many people shelling out €40-odd on the back of liking one song, and sure even if they've only heard El Camino, so what? This will be the perfect place for them to be introduced to more Black Keys material, and dig deeper into their catalog. Black Keys have gotten bigger after their last album, maybe young teenagers like them, so fucking what? Would you be happier if these kids liked manufactured soulless pop rather than them enjoying actual good music? There's no pleasing some people!

+100000000000000000000

Actually Cypress Hill have made a good point on their new EP and the negativity surrounding it , It kinda applies to a lot of bands like Black Keys
    you older fans get too emotional about this.. an artist can't repeat and do the same old music over and over.. you would get tired of that.. each album or record has to evvolve.. black sunday sounded nothin like cypress 1.. temple of boom sounded nothin like black sunday or cypress one.. they all evolved.. even or later work after the first 3 albums.. we've taken chances and done things different thry the course of our whole career and we will always take chances. you may not like it but then again you may but remember this an an ep not a full length album so if you are worried that this is what we're doing for the rest, it is not. the cypress album will be hip hop as always mix with the cypress touch. and we didn't not kick out bobo. how would you think we would kick our brother to the curb.. foolish thinking.. anyway love it or hate it, we ****in did it.. get over it the next album will follow with thunderous track from the grandmaster himself dj muggs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

its kings of leon all over again.

Oh yes it will "I liked their first six albums, but then they went mainstream so they're s*** now".

I still don't know whether or not to go to this gig myself, maybe when they get bigger and they end up playing stadiums, and increased ticket prices makes the gig only appeal to the die hard fans, but then again that could equate to 60,000 Lonely Boy fans to 10,000 other fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Ticketmaster telling me my tickets are being processed, should have them soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I'm sorry, but you have to be an almighty wanker to decide not to go to a gig (of a ****ing great band) on the basis that "there will be other people there who haven't been listening to them as long as I have!"

Boo-****ing hoo. Their music is still great. If you don't like El Camino or Brothers, that's your opinion. But you know what you can always do? Listen to The Big Come Up, or Thickfreakness, instead of whining about their new stuff-they should still be immensely enjoyable, and if they're not, then you're a bandwagon hipster **** yourself!

Personally, I love it all, been enjoying them for years, and I will be there in August. And I will also enjoy Band of Skulls.

I'm sorry, but you have to be an almighty wanker to decide not to go to a gig (of a ****ing great band) on the basis that "there will be other people there who haven't been listening to them as long as I have!"

Boo-****ing hoo. Their music is still great. If you don't like El Camino or Brothers, that's your opinion. But you know what you can always do? Listen to The Big Come Up, or Thickfreakness, instead of whining about their new stuff-they should still be immensely enjoyable, and if they're not, then you're a bandwagon hipster **** yourself!

Personally, I love it all, been enjoying them for years, and I will be there in August. And I will also enjoy Band of Skulls.

That complete S***, i don't care how long people have been listening to them, or if they're only going for one song, but what I do care about is if they talk for the rest of the gig because they don't 'know' the other songs, ruining it for the people who are there to enjoy the whole set.

And it's not whining about the new stuff, the problem with it is it's taking up a massive percentage of the setlist, which is the same every night, while other great songs don't get a look in, a bit of variation would be nice

And it's not whining about the new stuff, the problem with it is it's taking up a massive percentage of the setlist, which is the same every night, while other great songs don't get a look in, a bit of variation would be nice

So would you rather they played just the old songs and became a tribute band of themselves? Yes, you might like the older stuff, but guess what? Its the band who wrote the new stuff, not the new fans, and they're probably excited to play more relatively new material rather than hashing out the same old tunes time and again with only a token new one thrown in.

I always thought when bands tour/record new music they want to keep getting bigger and bigger? And by the looks of it , it has started to pay off for BK

• Advertisement

So would you rather they played just the old songs and became a tribute band of themselves? Yes, you might like the older stuff, but guess what? Its the band who wrote the new stuff, not the new fans, and they're probably excited to play more relatively new material rather than hashing out the same old tunes time and again with only a token new one thrown in.

I never said I want them to just play the old stuff, I said it would be nice if they had more variation in the set. I enjoy some the new stuff and I'm always up for hearing newer stuff live but the key is variation, and just not churning out the same set every night which is what they've been doing since the new album

It's all about balance, they have older stuff they've never played live and some of the newer stuff that also hasn't been played yet either, so it would be nice to see some chopping and changing

I never said I want them to just play the old stuff, I said it would be nice if they had more variation in the set. I enjoy some the new stuff and I'm always up for hearing newer stuff live but the key is variation, and just not churning out the same set every night which is what they've been doing since the new album

It's all about balance, they have older stuff they've never played live and some of the newer stuff that also hasn't been played yet either, so it would be nice to see some chopping and changing

No worries, you just came off as one of those over-protective fans who don't want anyone to like their band, or who feels like new fans aren't real fans.

I can see you point though, for example take Metallica and Pearl Jam, both two excellent bands who have been around for donkeys years. Now in the case of Metallica, their set is pretty much set in stone, and while they might rotate two songs on a set-to-set basis, you can pretty easily work out what they're going to play at which set on the tour after they've got a couple of shows under their belt. Pearl Jam, on the other hand, play nearly a completely different set each night, and in fact only write the set on the day of the show itself. I much prefer this approach, it means every time you see them, there'll be a few "surprise" songs, but also, they are much more relaxed and free in their playing of the songs, it's not a regimented two hour slot that they've been going though every day for the last 9 months. It leads to the band themselves being much more relaxed looking and they seem to enjoy it more, hence giving the crowd a better experience.

For the black keys though, maybe they're just not mad on the older stuff they've never played, or feel it doesn't work live (it happens). I can see where you're coming from, but I still think you shouldn't whinge about them playing new stuff, just be thankful that there's still amazing musicians out there making whopper music, and we get to see them in a few weeks time :D

I personally enjoy all of their songs. Their older works being my favorite. In particular "Keep Me" And the Album Rubber factory.

I have only been listening to them since before Christmas but they have quickly became my favorite artists. On to the point, I agree with the above, I don't mind new fans or "One song fans" But I do mind them influencing what is being played too much, I.e. no variance, only the newer works being played, and then when the older songs are being played, they talk. That ruins it for everyone else. Anyway, I'll get to see pleanty if I'm going to Tenants and then the 02 the next day!

so it would be nice to see some chopping and changing

no hassle.sorted:cool:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Seeing as How we're all about the older stuff in this thread, what album would be recommended for someone unfamiliar with it? I currently have Brothers, El Camino and Attack & Release.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

Seeing as How we're all about the older stuff in this thread, what album would be recommended for someone unfamiliar with it? I currently have Brothers, El Camino and Attack & Release.

Rubber Factory is superb. Songs like Stack Shot Billy and 10 AM Automatic are amoung their best songs.

Thickfreakness and Magic potion are also great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Rubber Factory is superb. Songs like Stack Shot Billy and 10 AM Automatic are amoung their best songs.
    Yuss, this was the first song by them that I ever heard. It's awesome

10 am automatic is epic and they arnt even playing it on this tour:mad:

• Advertisement

10 am automatic is epic and they arnt even playing it on this tour:mad:
    How do you know?

Also, Got me ticket today!

Advertisement