Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Yes. Big anticyclones that wouldn't budge.

Rrea00119890115.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Rrea00119890115.gif

look at the strat warming thread , we wont end up in that situation I think :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Rrea00119890115.gif

I wish I knew more about weather but from what I see and know we just allways seem to be on the edge of both extremes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

archives-1947-1-30-0-1.png

Could this happen again in jan 2012 ,Lets hope so:mad::)

video here on the blocking which may happen in jan 2012
    http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-video/model-and-analog-war-for-early/1324646333001?channel=pastep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Tindie

Tindie wrote: »
    Just saw the weather for west midlands and it going to SNOW! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    on Friday , so happy, I Can not wait for Friday now!

And end up with bit of sleet at the moment :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Tindie wrote: »
    And end up with bit of sleet at the moment :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Cheer up! It seems to be falling everywhere else :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭vtec_vixen

:( No snow in waterford at the moment.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Video of ice falling from a 1600ft TV tower in Oklahoma

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭200motels

vtec_vixen wrote: »
    Tell me about it, we never get snow in the set up we have at the moment and next week we'll have the mild muck back, we need a easterly or a north easterly and at the moment we won't get any of those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

models can be deceptive
    Theres no darkman2 around so there must be no cold coming...but even if he was around,`hopecasting doesn't always work out.
    This was what was hopecasted last year at the end of december.
    There were no more easterly snows...because the high didn't behave....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69757431&postcount=74

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Simon Keeling of weatheronline.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Simon Keeling of weatheronline.co.uk

I don't know about you guys but to me it looked like snow for the whole country on Christmas day , Anyways I know it will change so I must stay updated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

snowed quite heavy here in dublin today this morning! it was -1 degrees and it stuck and we got about 1cm...but its all melted now:(

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

blackius wrote: »
    models can be deceptive
    Theres no darkman2 around so there must be no cold coming...but even if he was around,`hopecasting doesn't always work out.

I love Darkman2 threads!

However he is a notorious cold ramper so any of his threads on snow should have a major health warning attached ! :D

D

bb1234567 wrote: »
    snowed quite heavy here in dublin today this morning! it was -1 degrees and it stuck and we got about 1cm...but its all melted now:(

Help me out here but I am really struggling to reconcile the word "heavy" with "1cm". In essence, laughable! :D

D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

derekon wrote: »
    Help me out here but I am really struggling to reconcile the word "heavy" with "1cm". In essence, laughable! :D

D
    It can snow heavy with no accumlations (unfortunatley) depends on the conditions.

Pangea wrote: »
    It can snow heavy with no accumlations (unfortunatley) depends on the conditions.

Fair point Pangea! :D

D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

ye what pangea said and plus the snow didnt even last long either but it was still quite heavy for the short time it snowed.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    ye what pangea said and plus the snow didnt even last long either but it was still quite heavy for the short time it snowed.

Point taken! :)

D

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

Nostalgic here; Dublin Airport's Max temp from 20~25th of December last year; 0.8°C. Min temps of -12.2°C, -11.4°C, etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

-16.1c in Naas last Xmas morning.. Oh the memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

blackius wrote: »
    models can be deceptive

I think the problem there was the stratosphere had in fact begun to cool significantly that December after a major warming. Of course no one paid attention to this at the time because we were enjoying the epic snowfalls. If that was the case it may well explain why the high didn't move north westwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Vudgie

The warm up in Dublin was noticeable last night. It was definitely milder at 10 than it was at 7. Oh well January it is so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

vtec_vixen wrote: »

No fun in the vtec so. ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Mark 'I continue to hold on to the idea' Vogan no longer inspires me with confidence in terms of any upcoming cold spell... there seems to be a lot of reference to what he thought would happen, or what he had hoped to see, but unfortunately he is not seeing...

He is still confident for the New Year though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

These are just notes and observations at the moment. But if you notice the warmer seas around our coast at the moment, WHEN we get the "BEAST from the EAST" in January, expect to see Explosive Snow streamers coming in off the Irish sea, due to very cold air rushing accross very warm water....:eek:

winter1.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Mark 'I continue to hold on to the idea' Vogan no longer inspires me with confidence in terms of any upcoming cold spell... there seems to be a lot of reference to what he thought would happen, or what he had hoped to see, but unfortunately he is not seeing...

He is still confident for the New Year though!

I could not have put it better myself Scubadevils.

In fairness, I have found Mark Vogan to be pretty accurate up to NOW. However, his latest forecasts bring two words to mind - "grasping" and "straws".

His prediction a few weeks back that "he firmly believed that a large part of the UK would be under snow cover come Christmas Day" does not look like happening now.

You are right in what you are saying - there is a lot of talk about "continuing to hold onto the belief" and "purses of cold air" ............might now all be nothing but hot air if the AO and NAO do not start heading south.

Also, it would appear some of his avid viewers are now starting to question his forecasts - which does not appear to be going down well! :D

See attached link to one of his YouTube forecasts and the associated comments below the video........

D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS5-zqY-vvA&list=UU561yly22XzOylY8FaBwrTg&index=2&feature=plcp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If we get the "beast from the east", that southern high pressure might drop anchor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

I,m going with a strat warming in 10 to 14 days time ish. A MT winter forecast and Hope And Faith....:)

• Advertisement

With a milder regime about to kick in during next week and in the run up to Christmas Day 2011 along with the NAO and AO remaining positive, things do not look good at the moment for a potential Big Freeze.

With models forecasting no severe cold, the Atlantic currently raging and by the end of this month one third of the Irish winter would have passed, is it time to call it and say there will be no Big Freeze for winter 2011/2012 in Ireland?

Or is it just too early to say?

D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement