Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New HTC Wildfire... Help!!!

• 08-10-2010 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭

I just got a new HTC Wildfire on the Meteor network.

I'm absolutely, utterly hopeless when it comes to technology and I'm probably the last person who should be allowed access to Android phones!:o

I'm just looking for some basic advice on how to put photos and songs (single files, not whole bloody playlists/galleries) onto the phone, get cheap internet on the phone (one that won't eat through my credit at a rate of knots), what apps to download, etc. etc. etc.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Pop it into the USB, select the option to copy files from the notification bar and its simple drag and drop then.

Your internet is charged at whatever rate your operater charges, no one can offer you cheaper internet, just use wifi whenever available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

draffodx wrote: »
    Pop it into the USB, select the option to copy files from the notification bar and its simple drag and drop then.

Again, as I've mentioned, I'm hopeless at technology...

I cannot find the option to copy files once I'm connected via USB. Only options I have are to copy whole albums/playlists onto the Android, which I do not want.

I cannot even find anything that would let me drag and drop files at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

DazMarz wrote: »
    Again, as I've mentioned, I'm hopeless at technology...

I cannot find the option to copy files once I'm connected via USB. Only options I have are to copy whole albums/playlists onto the Android, which I do not want.

I cannot even find anything that would let me drag and drop files at all...
    When you plug it into the computer, pull down the notification shade and you should have a disk drive option?

When you plug it into the computer, pull down the notification shade and you should have a disk drive option?

Think I have it now... Basically have it function as a drive, rather than as the phone?

Just finished updating most of it, and slowly getting used to Aps and all that kinda thing... I'm way too used to simple phones and stuff... Hope I learn how to use this Android quicker than I learned how to drive!!! haha.:o

Also, just noticed, that the battery does not seem to last very long on this Android... I don't go mad using loads of apps (and a friend of mine installed an ''App Killer'' so that they're not running in the background) and so on. I just make/receive calls and SMS. Yet the battery does not seem to last all that long. Is that normal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i have a wildfire. i have dimmed the screen . i would say i would be a medium usage and i get 2 days out of it.

Martron wrote: »
    i have a wildfire. i have dimmed the screen . i would say i would be a medium usage and i get 2 days out of it.

Dimmed the screen myself... Hopefully that'll help now. Battery seems to be lasting a bit longer now.

Any tips on just using the thing to it's full potential, tho??? Like what would be the best Apps to have and all???

Cheers!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

depends what you want.

i have k2 ( web text app )

gmail unread count

scan life ( barcode scanner)

traein ( train timetables)

so depend what you want to use it for i am sure there will be an app for it.

put the power control widget on the homescreen and gives you easy control of most the important phone funtions.

i have 3g watchdog too which monitors your 3g usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

If you're connecting to USB a lot, "Auto Mount" is essential, skips the notification pulldown bit.
    Or for transferring small files from your computer over Wifi without using USB at all, "Awesome Drop" is good for that.
    An Quick Settings is a small app that gives you a shortcut to most used system settings: brightness, volume, wifi, bluetooth mobile data gps etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 pokingiris

I all I got one of these free on meteor bill pay at the weekend, I am fairly techie but one thing is bothering me. I just had a 5230, which i loved and I am missing my 'show open items' menu or whatever, and also I can't seem to close out of the internet, as in there is no 'options - exit' and the back button just goes back through webpages,so I am just using the home icon to get out, but when I go back to browser it is where I left it, again that goes back to not knowing what is running in a list. maybe I am missing something very simple. Any help is appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

pokingiris wrote: »
    I all I got one of these free on meteor bill pay at the weekend, I am fairly techie but one thing is bothering me. I just had a 5230, which i loved and I am missing my 'show open items' menu or whatever, and also I can't seem to close out of the internet, as in there is no 'options - exit' and the back button just goes back through webpages,so I am just using the home icon to get out, but when I go back to browser it is where I left it, again that goes back to not knowing what is running in a list. maybe I am missing something very simple. Any help is appreciated.

Holding down the HOME key, will show you what's currently running at a basic level.
    And that's just the way the stock browser works. You can download other browsers which allow you to quit when exiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

I thought holding down the home key just showed you recently used apps...

To see running apps, go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications
    and look at the Running tab.

I don't worry about the apps that are "running" though as that just means they're still in memory for quick access, they're not actually using any resources. As soon as more memory is needed the least recently used app will be closed down and the memory freed up. Android handles this for you. There's actually no need for "app killers".

The thing that gets me is the running services, as these will usually periodically run (access the web etc) to update content for an app. I hate it when apps don't give an option to disable the service and allow you to manually refresh an app's contents when you want to. One example I've noticed is BBC News although I don't know what exactly the service does. These are what I feel deteriorates your battery life...

To manually stop services go to Settings -> Applications -> Running services

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭cardol

I have a Wildfire for about 3 weeks and love it!

However, can anyone tell me how to sync with the software on my phone? I have installed HTC Sync on my PC, and was told by the shop to use Gmail to sync my contacts. But it seems HTC Sync doesn't recognise Gmail and wants me to use MS Outlook/MS Outlook Express as my default email client, when I am syncing. But, when I change Gmail contact details, it shows up on my phone???
    Since I have now created a Gmail account, I don't really want to create an MS account too. But how do I import my Gmail contacts into MS Outlook? Or can I get HTC Sync to "see" Gmail? There's no opotion that I can see to export Gmail contacts as an CSV file.

Thanks
    Cardol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Btwndeyes

cardol wrote: »

However, can anyone tell me how to sync with the software on my phone? I have installed HTC Sync on my PC, and was told by the shop to use Gmail to sync my contacts. But it seems HTC Sync doesn't recognise Gmail and wants me to use MS Outlook/MS Outlook Express as my default email client, when I am syncing. But, when I change Gmail contact details, it shows up on my phone???
    Since I have now created a Gmail account, I don't really want to create an MS account too. But how do I import my Gmail contacts into MS Outlook? Or can I get HTC Sync to "see" Gmail? There's no opotion that I can see to export Gmail contacts as an CSV file.

Thanks
    Cardol
    If i remember correctly cant outlook express set up as a gmail account?
    Isn't it just a windows program for downloading mail from online mail services?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

cardol wrote: »

Thanks
    Cardol
    There's no need to sync your phone with your PC for contacts. If you already have a GMail account with all your contacts in it, and you use that GMail account to sign in to Android then they will sync automatically.

Go To: Setting -> Accounts and Sync
    and you can see all the accounts you have syncing with your phone, including your GMail account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭cardol

Tonight I'm not able to hear music on my Wildfire through my earplugs. I can hear music through the speakers, but when I plug in the earplugs - nothing!

The earplugs work on another device and I can hear ringtones on my phone through the earplugs. I downloaded another music player to see if it was a problem with the default HTC model, but the new player had the same problems.

Anyone have any similiar experiences?

Advertisement