Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ethical quandry over reporting 3rd party offences caught on dash cams

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Jesus. wrote: »
    Oh catch on to yourself lad. This is not the Third Reich we're talking about :rolleyes:

There's a huge grey area in between "The Third Reich" and a "Mad Max" style chaotic society where everyone does what they want and nobody cares. The road is not just for angry single boy racers, there's plenty of people driving their families around.
    Its about busy bodies with no life getting their kicks out of running to the authorities on their fellow citizens over nonsense. .

Who are these busy bodies?
    Have you had any experience of them personally?

I've certainly had plenty of experience of bad/dangerous drivers.
    But I've never been reported for any bad driving myself.

Just a wild stab in the dark here, but do you drive a high powered car?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Does anyone else see the grey shakey ground we are on when normal citizens become officers of the state by sharing bad behaviour.
    No. Quite the opposite.
    By taking the time to report a crime you are actually helping.

Leave it then to the DPP to decide if what is on the film is evidence enough to prosecute.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Just a wild stab in the dark here, but do you drive a high powered car?

1.6 Laguna :eek:

I'm a light foot type anyway. MPG attainment is my game. I managed to eek out 42 mixed (real not dash) during the Summer and I'm getting 36 at the moment. I only do 60mph on the Motorway (faster if required) but I know where you're coming from to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I checked this out, in Germany you can have a dashcam, but the footage is completely useless as it cannot be admitted as evidence in court:
    http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/the-problem-with-dashcam-videos-in-germany-1623794616
    It's completely fcuked in the head stupid that you can have evidence and still end up guilty.
    Actually, for the same reason google streetview is illegal in Germany.
    The law should be "as long as you're outside the frontdoor, yo ass is on film, if you don't do anything dodgy, you have nothing to worry about"

Hmm prohibition of publicing dashcam recordings public (like on youtube) in Germany is understandable. (well at least I understand the grounds for it as it might infringe someone's privacy), but I completely can't understand the logic behind not allowing it as evidence in court. That's bit of a nonsense...

I read somewhere as well about Austria, that it's completely illegal to use or even have dashcam in the car (even in glovebox) but I'm not sure about validity of that info, as I couldn't really find trustworthy source as I don't speak German. If you see any info in relation to this, could you let us know :)

BTW - does that mean that if I publish some dashcam recording from Germany on youtube, I'm committing some kind of an offence?
    If so - what consequences could I suffer considering I don't live there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

CiniO wrote: »
    Hmm prohibition of publicing dashcam recordings public (like on youtube) in Germany is understandable.

I just checked, you can use Google streetview in Germany.
    I clicked on a random street in Munich and streetview is available.

So there's probably exceptions to the rule, or require you to pixelate faces and reg numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭The12thMan

did you just make the news?

Crazy overtake in Ireland' video goes viral

http://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/crazy-overtake-in-ireland-video-goes-viral-30925285.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

biko wrote: »
    No. Quite the opposite.
    By taking the time to report a crime you are actually helping.

Leave it then to the DPP to decide if what is on the film is evidence enough to prosecute.

Has there been confirmation relating to the potential data protection breaches and issues relating to dashcams?

don't use one myself and never had an issue on the receiving end. But there was an increasing trend of cyclists using helmetcams, and after seeing demafatory stuff on youtube from cyclists did a little brushing up.

Think you leave yourself open to defamation and data protection breaches using these if I'm honest. Has there been any comfirmation from the D>P commisioner on their use?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,417 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I just checked, you can use Google streetview in Germany.
    I clicked on a random street in Munich and streetview is available.
    It's only available in a limited number of large cities. Zoom out of Google Maps until the whole of Germany is visible and then drag the little Streetview man over the map .. you'll see just a few blue areas over Munich, Frankfurt, Berlin Stuttgart etc. The rest of the country is not covered. Even within the areas that are covered a lot of houses are blanked out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

TheDoc wrote: »
    Has there been confirmation relating to the potential data protection breaches and issues relating to dashcams?

don't use one myself and never had an issue on the receiving end. But there was an increasing trend of cyclists using helmetcams, and after seeing demafatory stuff on youtube from cyclists did a little brushing up.

Think you leave yourself open to defamation and data protection breaches using these if I'm honest. Has there been any comfirmation from the D>P commisioner on their use?

Hard to see how dashcam footage can be defamatory, it should be quite the opposite.
    Unless it maybe has been heavily edited to misrepresent what happened.
    My theory is, courts and insurance companies like to quickly and easily apportion blame and move on. Motorists that now start to whine and complain and dispute facts with their "facts" and "evidence" are messing up the system, causing delays and costing money. Simply ignore the fact that dashcmas exist and go back to the old system of randomly blaming on party, move on and nevermind the whingers.

I foresee one more side effect: imagine you scratch your ear and a cop "decides" you where on the phone and will do you for it. We can't very well have people making fools out of our wonderful and efficient law enforcement, so if a cop says you did X,Y and Z, you did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

The overtaking video was not as bad as I was expecting, stupid to do when you can see cars are coming the other way but I just thought it would be worse(spoiled by all those Russian videos).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭tu2j2

One can only guess what your idea of "driving dangerously" is.

I shudder to think

And here in lies the problem, I would say the vast majority of people thing that anything they wouldn't do is dangerous.

I don't want the cops rocking up at my door cause I overtook somebody on my bike and they think I'm and idiot because I'm traveling faster than them.

For the life of me I wouldn't have one, God forbid your incriminating yourself if you ever make a mistake when your driving. I think it's bad that people feel the need to have these things, the standard of driving in this country is not as bad as is made out, ya it's **** but so is everywhere else at the end of the day.

tu2j2 wrote: »
    And here in lies the problem, I would say the vast majority of people thing that anything they wouldn't do is dangerous.

I don't want the cops rocking up at my door cause I overtook somebody on my bike and they think I'm and idiot because I'm traveling faster than them.

For the life of me I wouldn't have one, God forbid your incriminating yourself if you ever make a mistake when your driving. I think it's bad that people feel the need to have these things, the standard of driving in this country is not as bad as is made out, ya it's **** but so is everywhere else at the end of the day.

Get a helmet cam! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 nick240v

sorry for thread resurrection, but I think I need to post a few more times before uploading a vid to the dash cam forum as I'm a new registered member

It's a clip of an absolute knob with a kid in the back undertaking on the hard shoulder on the N7

In Uk there are links to send footage too - I'm no grass but this guy needs to be off the road - haven't found a link yet to the guards where I can report via dash cam - anyone know?

Happened yesterday on N7 near Naas
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

@nick240v, Their Twitter account is fairly active. You can tweet a YouTube link to them. Alternatively, I'm fairly sure Traffic Corp have an email address. Of the two, I'd recommend the Twitter route. Without being funny, I'd actually say they review the stuff here or at the very least some active members would have a passing interest. They have picked up on some of the videos here before.

Post it up anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

Wasnt there a video put up on youtube at one stage a few years back by boyracers of them showing off, speeding , driving dangerously, hanging out of windows and the like,
    They were done for dangerous driving werent they? The guards got the numberplates off the video

cheers - I need 25 posts though first to enable a link it says

I will stick it in the dash cam section

21 posts to go

20 to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Hey. copy the link onto a reply and take out .com and http We can post it proper then.

thanks danny - sorted it now as above

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Can't be the reg in the description. The car comes back as a Nissan Qashqai which this is certainly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I would report any dangerous driving. Regarding speeding, if they are simply keeping up with traffic, I wouldn't. Parked on the kerb, loading bay, no parking ticket. Meh!

But I saw a young guy on a dirt bike today on a quiet side road. Tell me should I have reported him.

No vehicle registration.

Doing wheelies.

Aged about 15.

Wearing no helmet.

Between the school, terraced houses and apartments.

With a bunch of 10 year olds watching in awe.

While carying a 6-year old.

Wearing no helmet.

Sobanek wrote: »
    Can't be the reg in the description. The car comes back as a Nissan Qashqai which this is certainly not.

yup - apologies - I've changed the description - the 6 was an 8

I have an earlier clip where the plate is clearer than this footage

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I miss that thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Cheensbo wrote: »
    X2

Also,

Gotta disagree with posters who say that Irish driving is abysmal/terrible/3rd world standard etc..

We've some of the safest roads in the world, with exceptionally low road deaths given our dependence on road travel. I suspect most people who say this have never actually looked at/experienced driving in a country where driving actually IS terrible.

To be fair, I don't think a lot of road traffic accidents are reported or even recorded.

Many people choose to sort it out without insurance and the Gardai can't be arsed/aren't able to turn up.

To be fair, I don't think a lot of road traffic accidents are reported or even recorded.

Many people choose to sort it out without insurance and the Gardai can't be arsed/aren't able to turn up.

I always say we have the safest roads despite idiocy and inaction from the Gardai, RSA and government. They just throw out the odd statement, video, update of the law and a few speedchecks and checkpoints.
    We largely sort everything out ourselves. In a way its an astounding system.

If you report a driver and the Garda want to go after them, you may have to stand witness in court.

If you can spare the time off work for a trip to the garda station and half a day in court, as well as dealing with the stress of standing in a courtroom giving statements and maybe getting examined by the accused defence ,

then reporting stuff if the way forward.

Its would need to be a fairly dangerous bit of driving to warrant the hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

If you report a driver and the Garda want to go after them, you may have to stand witness in court.

If you can spare the time off work for a trip to the garda station and half a day in court, as well as dealing with the stress of standing in a courtroom giving statements and maybe getting examined by the accused defence ,

then reporting stuff if the way forward.

Its would need to be a fairly dangerous bit of driving to warrant the hassle

A lot of people who report dangerous driving or similar wonder why nothing is normally done about it. Unless the guards see it personally they have no evidence to take it to court.
    Most people wouldnt be willing to make a formal statement and be willing to go to court

9935452 wrote: »
    A lot of people who report dangerous driving or similar wonder why nothing is normally done about it. Unless the guards see it personally they have no evidence to take it to court.
    Most people wouldnt be willing to make a formal statement and be willing to go to court

The reason I know is because of a call I made to traffic watch. (recommended from here).
    A few weeks later I got a call back from a Garda in Rathcoole. I witnessed what seemed to be a drunk/high driver on the N7 driving without any consideration to any one.

Even with HD cam footage, I was told that pursuing a conviction would require a day in court and identification of the driver. The driver was known to the Garda for violent crimes.

I have been in court before as a witness to crimes in my community, since then I have been looking over my shoulder waiting for the scum bag to come back for revenge for his year in Mount Joy. Paranoid a little but I have a couple of babies in the house.

Unless you are 100% in your head that you want to go the whole 9 yards, I would forget it and just post it of Youtube for giggles ..

• Advertisement
Advertisement