Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory's rivals

• 01-03-2012 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

It would be reasonable to expect Rory to be to the forefront of the golfing world for the next 10-15 years minimum if he stays healthy, avoids Tiger style meltdowns etc, etc. Would be interested to know people's views on who his main rivals over that period are likely to be.

I know it's guess work, but do people think Tiger will charge back? Will Westwood/Phil have staying power? Kaymer, Donald etc etc?

Personally I think Kaymer is a serious golfer and should win multiple majors. Also love the grit that Keegan Bradley has. If I had to predict 2 then those boys would be the 2 (maybe Tiger too!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

It would be reasonable to expect Rory to be to the forefront of the golfing world for the next 10-15 years minimum if he stays healthy, avoids Tiger style meltdowns etc, etc. Would be interested to know people's views on who his main rivals over that period are likely to be.

I know it's guess work, but do people think Tiger will charge back? Will Westwood/Phil have staying power? Kaymer, Donald etc etc?

Personally I think Kaymer is a serious golfer and should win multiple majors. Also love the grit that Keegan Bradley has. If I had to predict 2 then those boys would be the 2 (maybe Tiger too!)

Tom Lewis

Then a Paradigm shift to the east - we have seen the start of the asian players coming through. Kim , Bae. There will be more and more on the way.

South Africa also has a production line at the moment , these are kids inspired by Goose and Els.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

That kid John Huh could be the real deal, 21 years old, got a place on tour through 3 stage of q school. Won last week in only his fifth start, one to watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

A big if but if Dustin Johnson can get over the line at a major in the next year or two he has plenty more in him. After the two meltdowns he had in previous majors from winning positions i don't know can he get his head right like Rory managed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

I know it's guess work, but do people think Tiger will charge back?

Well Rory himself already thinks tiger is past his best. It think it was in an interview on BBC Sport where he said that "we've seen the best of Tiger, but that doesn't mean he can't win Majors again"

...which is a fair summary of Tiger's ability imo. He doesn't need to be at his best to win

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭dnjoyce

Tom Lewis

Then a Paradigm shift to the east - we have seen the start of the asian players coming through. Kim , Bae. There will be more and more on the way.

South Africa also has a production line at the moment , these are kids inspired by Goose and Els.

Agree here. Only a matter of time I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

full_irish wrote: »
    Well Rory himself already thinks tiger is past his best. It think it was in an interview on BBC Sport where he said that "we've seen the best of Tiger, but that doesn't mean he can't win Majors again"

...which is a fair summary of Tiger's ability imo. He doesn't need to be at his best to win

Probably meant we've seen the end of his dominance.
    There was a time when a minimum of 2 of the 4 majors each year were Tigers to win. Not anymore. We're now at the stage where of 140 players in a field every week can win the tournament.

Woods was unique that way. Remember when Rory won the US Open and took a month off from competitive golf.

Tiger at the same stage of his career similarly destroyed the field at US Open, but then proceeded to destroy the field at the Open and added a PGA too for good measure....oh and the following years Masters too!

Will we ever see the likes of Woods' dominance again? I'm sure we will. Is Rory the man to take up the mantle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

dnjoyce wrote: »
    Agree here. Only a matter of time I'd say.

I was watching the women's golf on Sky for a while last week and it appears to be the case there as well,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It would be reasonable to expect Rory to be to the forefront of the golfing world for the next 10-15 years minimum if he stays healthy

Disagree, his putting is relatively poor and therefore he has tremendous reliance on the rest of his game. It would be very hard to sustain this pressure on the rest of his game for 10-15 years IMHO.

Who's to say player X may turn pro in the next few years and be the dominant player from years 5-15 from now.
    All you can really speculate on is the present up to around 3 years and if he can improve his putting then I can't see anyone taking him off number one in the world (even though he's not there yet!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Probably meant we've seen the end of his dominance.
    There was a time when a minimum of 2 of the 4 majors each year were Tigers to win. Not anymore. We're now at the stage where of 140 players in a field every week can win the tournament.

Woods was unique that way. Remember when Rory won the US Open and took a month off from competitive golf.

Tiger at the same stage of his career similarly destroyed the field at US Open, but then proceeded to destroy the field at the Open and added a PGA too for good measure....oh and the following years Masters too!

Will we ever see the likes of Woods' dominance again? I'm sure we will. Is Rory the man to take up the mantle?

I don't think we will ever see it again.

Way too much competition now.

That is the problem Tiger also faces now. The only man up to Tiger was Phil. Now there are 25 lads who can win any major.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

slave1 wrote: »
    Disagree, his putting is relatively poor and therefore he has tremendous reliance on the rest of his game. It would be very hard to sustain this pressure on the rest of his game for 10-15 years IMHO.

Who's to say player X may turn pro in the next few years and be the dominant player from years 5-15 from now.
    All you can really speculate on is the present up to around 3 years and if he can improve his putting then I can't see anyone taking him off number one in the world (even though he's not there yet!!)

There is absolutely nothing in Rory McIlroy's game that is "poor" - relatively or otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Manassero could be a big challenger to Rory, already a 2 time winner and still a teenager. Italy might well be a bigger force than it is in world golf in another 10 years time thanks to his efforts, and the Molinaris too of course.

From across the water, Rickie Fowler would be the one I'd pick. Jason Day too, exciting times for golf, lots of young talent mixing it with the experienced pros.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

From America there will be players like Bradley and possibly Fowler, then of course there is Jason Day from Australia and i reckon Kaymer and Manassero will be his biggest challengers closer to home.
    But if Rory is still up there in ten years time or so he will have to compete with at least 5 or so Korean born players. It's only a matter of time before they start to dominate the mens game as they do the ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Now there are 25 lads who can win any major.

Bit of a cliche really, if you think about it anyone in the field could win a major..!!

No point beating around the bush really, the question is who is likely to win a major.

On that count, again no point beating around the bush.

Rory McIlroy is by far the most likely as he has the best game currently, and is obviously the best golfer in the world.

As it stands there is no obvious choices as rivals, but there is a decent group of young players at the moment, but don't get too carried away they would all have to seriously come up a level to compete with McIlroy. Mcilroys game is pretty much flawless.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Redzah

k.p.h wrote: »
    Bit of a cliche really, if you think about it anyone in the field could win a major..!!

No point beating around the bush really, the question is who is likely to win a major.

On that count, again no point beating around the bush.

Rory McIlroy is by far the most likely as he has the best game currently, and is obviously the best golfer in the world.

As it stands there is no obvious choices as rivals, but there is a decent group of young players at the moment, but don't get too carried away they would all have to seriously come up a level to compete with McIlroy. Mcilroys game is pretty much flawless.

Still question marks over him mentally. Yes his ball striking is exceptional but he seems to get a bit tight under pressure and is suspect on the greens when under pressure. Great player but has a long long way to go to develop the mental strength of woods. If he does there's no stopping him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Nick Watney. Watch this space.

Advertisement