Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

It's pretty scary how good a player Paul Casey has became over the past two weeks. He's now almost as good a golfer, as Joe Cole was a footballer after England's first game of the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

The rest of your post is excellent, but I don't agree with this part because

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/rydercup/7970989/Ryder-Cup-2010-Paul-Caseys-omission-proves-hard-to-justify-for-Colin-Montgomerie.html

Btw: The rest of that telegraph article is the biggest load of bitter crap i've seen on the matter.

Interesting find and not something I was aware of I must admit...maybe it was Jocelyn Monty was more interested in inviting though!

Again though, my view is that Harrington has proven himself under the most severe of Ryder Cup pressure and Casey hasn't yet had the chance (and won't for at least 2 more years). Whatever else it was that swayed Monty, whether it was a hunch, their success in the event together over the years, his status as a multiple major winner or whatever, Padraig deserved his pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭thelongfellow

ziggy wrote: »

No problem.

Casey points total for last 52 weeks................... 175.76

Harrington points total for last 52 weeks............. 189.52

This is the total points achieved per player in the last 52 weeks i.e these figures are NOT weighted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

European Ryder cup points list (both): http://www.europeantour.com/rydercup/points/index_RyderCupPoints.html

PH WR: http://www.owgr.com/players/bio.sps?ID=5716&name=Padraig&Rank=20&TotalPts=216.45093

PC WR: http://www.owgr.com/players/bio.sps?ID=7108&name=Paul&Rank=9&TotalPts=244.07067

The first shows that monty picked his top 3 not qualified from the world rankings list, which are point sover a 12 month period. Can't really argue with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

I was confident of the yanks winning before the picks happened,
    and now I'm even more confident....will putting on lashings for the yanks to win it again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭harpsman

Well if winning Majors doesn't indicate who the better golfer is surely world ranking points over the past 12 months will.... oh and Harrington has more of them than Casey. Unless you want to pick some arbitrary point in time and say Casey has more points....maybe in the past 3 months and 2 weeks or something like that.

READ THE POST
    Over and out

harpsman wrote: »
    READ THE POST
    Over and out

I read a few of them thanks. One minute your going to pick Casey, next minute you prefer Harrington. Got lost after that.

When your answering someone post with this

1)
    2)
    3)

lark it might help other boards member if you quote the original questions.

Well if winning Majors doesn't indicate who the better golfer is surely world ranking points over the past 12 months will.... oh and Harrington has more of them than Casey. Unless you want to pick some arbitrary point in time and say Casey has more points....maybe in the past 3 months and 2 weeks or something like that.

Or the face that Harrington has SUCH a wonderful Rydercup record compared to Casey :rolleyes:

Let's get real here

• Advertisement

Dr.Silly wrote: »
    Or the face that Harrington has SUCH a wonderful Rydercup record compared to Casey :rolleyes:

Let's get real here

So your taking the view that one event defines how good a golfer is? Really?

You made your points earlier on in this thread. You prefer Casey. You tried to use stats (money won since January? ha) to back this up and then a terrible article from sky.

You, sir, do not know what you are talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

You made your points earlier on in this thread. You prefer Casey. You tried to use stats (money won since January? ha) to back this up and then a terrible article from sky.

all this is irrelevant it was montys choice and he picked harrington,
    he knows both players personally and professionally so is in a much better place to judge.
    After the Ryder cup is the time to ask if it was the right choice or not.
    Again I point to Poulter in the last Ryder cup who finished top point scorer.
    its the reason captains have "picks"

A terrible article from sky, really ?!!

By the sounds of things I can certainly know more about this than you do.
    I wonder if Harrington wasn't Irish, would you have the same opinion, I seriously doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭Russman

A terrible article from sky, really ?!!

In fairness, it is an awful article.....

By the same token if Casey wasn't English then Sky wouldn't be bleating on about it either. As stated by lots of people there's f--k all between the two players in the stats over the last year, you could successfully argue for either. Captain made his choice and obviously had his reasons, simple as.

After the event we'll have a better idea if he's right or wrong - and even then we'll only be surmising as to how Casey may have gotten on had he played. What if PH wins all his matches and Europe still lose ? or vice versa ?

Padraig sure isn't a world beater these days right enough, but Casey isn't as good as some people are making out either. Its a bit like "the older I get, the better I was" !

Russman wrote: »
    In fairness, it is an awful article

ok,
    so let's pick no. 20 in the world (who can't make a cut and is in sh1te form, with an awful rydercup record) instead of no. 9 in the world (who's in good form, with a good ryder cup record)...
    yup...it makes perfect sense alright....

Oh how I can't wait to go on the Sunday

ok,
    so let's pick no. 20 in the world (who can't make a cut and is in sh1te form, with an awful rydercup record) instead of no. 9 in the world (who's in good form, with a good ryder cup record)...

Anyone in the top 50 or top 100 can beat anyone else on a given day, there's little or no difference between the top 50 players.

As I said previously, the nature of a captain's pick is that he's not constrained by a ranking or order of merit position.

I've no preference for either (I probably would have picked Sergio myself :D!), but in a tight singles match Harrington v Casey, I'd put my money on Harrington.

Anyone in the top 50 or top 100 can beat anyone else on a given day, there's little or no difference between the top 50 players.

honestly, this is just a terrible terrible statement

If thats your opinion then we'll have to agree to disagree I'm afraid.

How would anyone ever beat somebody ranked higher than them then ? Does the no.1 win every time he tees it up ? Does the top ranked player in a tournament field win every time ? How did YE Yang hold off Tiger down the stretch in the USPGA ? How did Philip Price beat Phil Mickelson in the Ryder Cup singles ?

Whatever about a difference between players ranked 50 or 60 places apart , really, there's no difference between players ranked 11 places apart.

If thats your opinion then we'll have to agree to disagree I'm afraid.

How would anyone ever beat somebody ranked higher than them then ? Does the no.1 win every time he tees it up ? Does the top ranked player in a tournament field win every time ? How did YE Yang hold off Tiger down the stretch in the USPGA ? How did Philip Price beat Phil Mickelson in the Ryder Cup singles ?

Whatever about a difference between players ranked 50 or 60 places apart , really, there's no difference between players ranked 11 places apart.

there's little or no difference between the top 50 players

this is what you said,
    You're right...of course players beat each other on a given day,
    but that statement is just so wrong ..

there is a huge difference between no. 1 or 2 in the world and no. 49 or 50 in the world....HUGE difference, and consistency is one of those top of the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

ok,

I think the form comparison has been dealt with in detail already. Just look at www.owgr.com and click on both Harrington & Casey to see there is little to choose form wise. Harrington has more points in the last 12 months and also has far more top 10s in the last 6 months. Casey also had a bad Ryder Cup in 2008, that's one out of three poor results compared with Harrington's two out of five.

Lee Westwood also had a bad Ryder Cup in 2008. Imagine if he has another poor one this year as he is carrying an injury. Just say in 2012 he has a bunch of top 10s but no wins and just misses out on qualifying automatically but then gets a captain's pick. Do you think Sky will be writing articles saying what a crazy decision it was? Because that is the position Harrington is in this year.

Since your last line makes it clear that you are hoping the Harrington pick doessn't work out, anything you have to say is pretty meaningless anyway.

• Advertisement

this is what you said,

there is a huge difference between no. 1 or 2 in the world and no. 49 or 50 in the world....HUGE difference, and consistency is one of those top of the list.

There certainly isn't a huge difference, not at that level. You only have to see the difference one big win can make to a players ranking. Any difference between 1 and 50 is more than compensated for the "on any given day" nature of a match, particularly over 18 holes.

Consistency over a season or extended period of time maybe, but that hardly comes into it in a Ryder Cup.

At the lower levels of course there's a difference.

Martin567 wrote: »
    Since your last line makes it clear that you are hoping the Harrington pick doessn't work out, anything you have to say is pretty meaningless anyway.

Watch out for the inevitable 'your blinded by patriotism' response!

I won't bother....
    such clueless people..

I look forward to the 3rd October.
    last post till then...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

I know but if someone makes it clear that he is hoping the Americans win and Harrington plays badly just so he can come on here and say "I told you so" afterwards, he is hardly the most objective, is he?

You'd really wonder what someone like that gets out of it.

Martin567 wrote: »
    I know but if someone makes it clear that he is hoping the Americans win and Harrington plays badly just so he can come on here and say "I told you so" afterwards, he is hardly the most objective, is he?

You'd really wonder what someone like that gets out of it.

I think objectivity is just one thing that the poster is lacking.

Should be a good cup though. There can really be no excuses from either side as they are both sending their strongest possible respective teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

this is what you said,

Who is the World No 1 again? Hardly a poster boy for consistency in the last couple of years...Think most of the European Team would fancy their chances on the Sunday against him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

I won't bother....
    such clueless people..

last post till then...

Great!!!!! Come on Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

ok,

And why's that? Going to cheer whoever is playing against Harrington :rolleyes:

At least you won't be posting again for nealy a month....Dr Silly indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

I won't bother....
    such clueless people..

last post till then...

ffs,and this coming from somebody who reckons there is a "huge difference between No 49 and No 50 in the world",do you know how the ranking points work?joke of a comment by you

• Advertisement

And yet another reason why Casey isn't on the team.

Talk about choking the win away...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement