Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

GS11 wrote: »
    But what shoes was he wearing?, thats the big question.

the red laces are gone!!

looking at his card here now:
    bogey, bogey, eagle, par, bogey, par, birdie, par, par - really all over the place unfortunately.

Hope he gets a few birdies and pars on the front 9 to make the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭murphdogg11

Just finished 2nd round on level par. Currently 1 shot outside the projected cut!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Looks like he finished level par for the tourney, a waiting game but by the looks of things scoring average is under par today so would expect a -1 cut!

One hole killed him again this week, triple yesterday on the 10th and bogey today...

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Deplasterer

Wind is to get up, level par is a shoe in.

Wind is to get up, level par is a shoe in.

Hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

I saw Padraig's last two holes. Wayne Riley said Par will definitely qualify and he will spend all day tomorrow dressed as Batman if it doesn't! So, interesting to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

Just goes to show how awful he's become, people clinging on to the hope he makes a cut in a pretty much non-event

• Registered Users Posts: 27,027 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

We are going to start to monitor this (and in fact all threads) closely for trolling from now on.
    Trolls will be infracted without warning, repeat offenders will be banned.
    Its fine to have a differing opinion on something, but continuously posting just to get a reaction from others will not be tolerated here.

Martin567 wrote: »
    I saw Padraig's last two holes. Wayne Riley said Par will definitely qualify and he will spend all day tomorrow dressed as Batman if it doesn't! So, interesting to see what happens.

Looks like the cut is going the other way at the moment tbh, he now sits T-76th....needs 10 people or more to drop shots....

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Very sad to see PH going out the back end of a tournament like this..... will continue to hope for him that he can rediscover his old self on the golf course.... maybe he needs a good break from it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

ssbob wrote: »
    Looks like the cut is going the other way at the moment tbh, he now sits T-76th....needs 10 people or more to drop shots....

It certainly does look like that. I'm not sure why Riley was so certain. Even at the time it looked 50:50. I wonder will he forget about his promise tomorrow!

Martin567 wrote: »
    It certainly does look like that. I'm not sure why Riley was so certain. Even at the time it looked 50:50. I wonder will he forget about his promise tomorrow!

he's not made it for sure now,
    is he playing next week ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

GS11 wrote: »
    But what shoes was he wearing?, thats the big question.

You could be on to something there. Didnt his form fade away when he ditched the wide soled HiTecs ?

he's not made it for sure now,
    is he playing next week ?

For two days apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,459 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Saw him play the last few holes today. His 1st put on the 18th green was for a birdie but he left it about 3 feet short and really struggled for par. He looked very nervous and lacking any sort of confidence at all.

The downwards slide looks as if it will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭JohnnyLocke

Just looking at Harringtons possible schedule for the rest of the year. It's not looking good I'm afraid. He's not playing this week. Then Alfred Dunhill. The Portugal masters sunday is one day before the ridiculous PGA grand slam event he comes to "defend his title". He's hardly gona play in Portugal then travel to Bermuda. Then it's an event in Perth which he's not down to play in.

The final series is next. First the BMW masters. He's currently way out of contention to reach the field in this. (Top 60 in golf ranking, 14 Asian tour players, 3 invites and 1 in order of race to Dubai. 78 players in total)

basically the Alfred Dunhill is his last chance and he probably needs a top 3.

a bad season could turn into a total disaster season by the looks of it.

then again he could win the pga grand slam, take home another 1million quid from that, do nothing for his overall ranking/race to Dubai/Ryder cup prospects etc. but keep the cash rolling in.

The Portugal masters sunday is one day before the ridiculous PGA grand slam event he comes to "defend his title".

"defend his "title" "
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭abff

The final series is next. First the BMW masters. He's currently way out of contention to reach the field in this. (Top 60 in golf ranking, 14 Asian tour players, 3 invites and 1 in order of race to Dubai. 78 players in total)

basically the Alfred Dunhill is his last chance and he probably needs a top 3

Yes and no. Even if he skips the Portuguese Masters, he still has a reasonable chance of playing in the BMW Masters. It's the leading 60 available players in the top 100 of the OWGR. Padraig is currently 94th and if he can get a reasonable result in the dunhill links, he may get in as I expect a lot of the top Americans won't bother entering.

Still not going to be a good season unless he pulls a rabbit out of a hat (so to speak).

abff wrote: »
    Yes and no. Even if he skips the Portuguese Masters, he still has a reasonable chance of playing in the BMW Masters. It's the leading 60 available players in the top 100 of the OWGR. Padraig is currently 94th and if he can get a reasonable result in the dunhill links, he may get in as I expect a lot of the top Americans won't bother entering.

Still not going to be a good season unless he pulls a rabbit out of a hat (so to speak).

Not a chance he's going to get in on world ranking standings.
    Only way he's going to get in is with an invite, which I don't know if they've given out already.

Not a chance he's going to get in on world ranking standings.
    Only way he's going to get in is with an invite, which I don't know if they've given out already.

I beg to differ. Last year there were only 38 of the top 100 in the OWGR rankings playing and none of them were from the US or Australia. So if there is a similar level of interest this year, Padraig should get in.

• Advertisement

I beg to differ. Last year there were only 38 of the top 100 in the OWGR rankings playing and none of them were from the US or Australia. So if there is a similar level of interest this year, Padraig should get in.

I'd be shocked if he got in, considering it's towards the end of October,
    and he'll be probably 110 - 125 in the world rankings by that stage.

I'd be shocked if he got in, considering it's towards the end of October,
    and he'll be probably 110 - 125 in the world rankings by that stage.

Again, I don't agree. In the first place, the cut off for determining eligibility based on the OWGR is 30 September. In the second place, while it's true that Padraig would fall further in the rankings if he keeps missing cuts, it's unlikely he would be as low as 110 - 125 by mid October even if he played every week and missed every cut.

In the third place, in looking at last year's field, it appears they kept going well beyond 100th in allocating places. Maybe they'll tighten up this year, but I think (can anyone clarify?) that only Europeantour members are eligibile, unless they get one of the sponsor's invitations.

it's unlikely he would be as low as 110 - 125 by mid October even if he played every week and missed every cut.

Why do you think that's unlikely ?

Why do you think that's unlikely ?

I've had a look at the rankings and I've calculated what his ranking would be if he played for the next four weeks and missed every cut. It would be just over 1.52 average points, which would place him in 109th based on this week's rankings.

Therefore, I guess you're almost correct if we assume he will play every week and miss every cut. But he won't be playing every week and he might even pick up some world ranking points in the dunhill links, much and all as this would disappoint some of the people on this thread.

I've had a look at the rankings and I've calculated what his ranking would be if he played for the next four weeks and missed every cut. It would be just over 1.52 average points, which would place him in 109th based on this week's rankings.

Therefore, I guess you're almost correct if we assume he will play every week and miss every cut. But he won't be playing very week and he might even pick up some world ranking points in the dunhill links, much and all as this would disappoint some of the people on this thread.

I wouldn't say it would disappoint anyone.

It doesn't just depend on him though, it depends on other players also.

It doesn't just depend on him though, it depends on other players also.

True. But there are too many variables, so the best guess would be to see where a particular average would place you on this week's rankings. For someone close to the top of the rankings, it's easier to predict what a good or bad week might do to their position.

Anyway, let's hope playing in the dunhill inspires him. He tends to do well in this type of event, so hopefully he'll have a good week.

It would also be nice to see him play in Portugal, notwithstanding the short gap between the Portuguese masters ending and the PGA Grand Slam starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Dero123

Just looking at Harringtons possible schedule for the rest of the year. It's not looking good I'm afraid. He's not playing this week. Then Alfred Dunhill. The Portugal masters sunday is one day before the ridiculous PGA grand slam event he comes to "defend his title". He's hardly gona play in Portugal then travel to Bermuda. Then it's an event in Perth which he's not down to play in.

basically the Alfred Dunhill is his last chance and he probably needs a top 3.

a bad season could turn into a total disaster season by the looks of it.

then again he could win the pga grand slam, take home another 1million quid from that, do nothing for his overall ranking/race to Dubai/Ryder cup prospects etc. but keep the cash rolling in.

I see he has not entered the Portugess Masters, putting all his eggs in one basket by trying to get the money he needs to qualify for the end of season events by getting a top 5 next week in St Andrews

Dero123 wrote: »
    I see he has not entered the Portugess Masters, putting all his eggs in one basket by trying to get the money he needs to qualify for the end of season events by getting a top 5 next week in St Andrews

I'm very disappointed to hear that. The opportunity of following Padraig around was one of the main reasons I arranged to fly to the Algarve that week.

Dero123 wrote: »

I still think he has a reasonable chance of qualifying for the BMW masters given that there will be a load of pull outs. Still a Top 10 in Dunhill would go a long way to helping him.

• Advertisement

ssbob wrote: »
    I still think he has a reasonable chance of qualifying for the BMW masters given that there will be a load of pull outs. Still a Top 10 in Dunhill would go a long way to helping him.

If last year is anything to go by, he is certain to qualify. Mind you, he played in a competing tournament in Singapore last year. Hopefully, his priorities will be different this year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement