Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Slim PSP Downgrade

Options
  • 21-09-2007 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, i bought a PSP on a whim recently. It's one of those new fangled slim ones. Does anyone know of anyone who'll do a firmware downgrade for me? i ask cos i don't know anyone who has a psp! sad i know.... :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Sorted, i'm gonna buy another for the Girlfriend and do it with the pandora battery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Its not that simple you know!! First of all, make sure to buy her on old psp (not slim). Then you'll have to get custom firmware running on the old psp. Only then can you make a pandora battery for the slim.

Check out psp-hacks or maxconsole for info

Yeah i know, i'm getting a fat one (from a guy on adverts.ie) i've been doing some reading up on how to do it. Should be complicated fun :) thanks for the maxconsole link, will be handy!

Cool, no problem. Ask back here if you need any more help. I managed to do the job myself last week. Works like a charm!

Also, make sure to use the guide written by lounger over at maxconsole. Thats the best guide out there

Cool man, i just did the fat psp (2.0 to 1.5) gonna follow that guide now to do my slim. Cheers!

• Advertisement

Did it anyway, it would've probably helped if the instructions were in less of a gibberish format but i got there in the end! nice :)

Yeah, the english isnt great! Glad it worked out for you.
    You should also upgrade the slim to 3.71M33. Its a much easier process. You just need to download the 3.71 eboot, rename it to 371.pbp and put it with the files in the download. Then you just run from the game menu.
    The good thing about this one is that it allows developers to use the extra 32mb of ram in the slim! So, theoretically, new and improved emulation is possible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Emulation of what exactly. I know it will give moar options like running homebrew in the XMB (is this on 3.71 phat?) but if it could emulate the PS1 properly two years ago then it can theoretically emulate all underling consoles perfectly without the extra RAM. (N64 etc.)

Emulation of what exactly. I know it will give moar options like running homebrew in the XMB (is this on 3.71 phat?) but if it could emulate the PS1 properly two years ago then it can theoretically emulate all underling consoles perfectly without the extra RAM. (N64 etc.)

Homebrew is already running from the xmb on the slim. I'm talking about slim here not fat. 3.71 for fat is currently missing the 1.5 kernel subset. The extra ram will no doubt improve N64 emulation. Have a look at strmnnrmn's blogspot and you'll see how much of a battle he has had squeezing everything he can from 32mb of ram.
    Yeah, everything around the ps1 era is possible with 32mb if you are sony and are paying a team of 50 coders 50,000 a year!! For homebrew coders, any extra ram will make life much easier.

animaX wrote:
    You should also upgrade the slim to 3.71M33.

Is it worth it then? any other improvements/things i should know about?

• Advertisement

Is it worth it then? any other improvements/things i should know about?

Well, its really easy so there's no reason not to! It doesnt involve the whole pandora thing. Also, 3.71M33 allows developers to use the extra 32mb or ram on the slim (3.60M33 doesnt allow this).
    Just today there has been a new released of the capcom play system 2 emulator that uses the extra ram.

animaX wrote:
    Well, its really easy so there's no reason not to! It doesnt involve the whole pandora thing. Also, 3.71M33 allows developers to use the extra 32mb or ram on the slim (3.60M33 doesnt allow this).
    Just today there has been a new released of the capcom play system 2 emulator that uses the extra ram.

Right, i got 3.71, the instructions are weird yet again! - "Copy the UPDATE directory into /PSP/GAME/UPDATE and copy the EBOOT.PBP of the 3.71 Sony updater there but with name "371.PBP""

EH? i don't wanna bodge it up, could you clarify for me please? :)

Ok. Download the official 3.71 update (psp-hacks maybe). Extract it somewhere onto your computer. The file will be called eboot.pbp and its around 20mb. Rename it to 371.pbp

Now download the 3.71M33 update package (again, psp-hacks). Extract it to your computer. It will contain a folder called UPDATE. Inside there will be an eboot.pbp and a few prx files. Place the 371.pbp file into this UPDATE folder.

Then put the UPDATE folder into the GAME folder on the psp. Eject the psp, go to game menu and launch. Remember that this update will look exactly like an official update but it isnt!

Hope it works out for you!

animaX...got PSP slim?? I dont know fcuk all when it comes to teh slim.

Yeah man, got it on launch day! I had a psp fat, sold it a few months ago so that i could get the slim. Its pretty much the same as the fat in terms of homebrew exept for a tricky initial custom firmware installation (requires pandora).

You should check it out!

Nahh as soon as i found out you were going blind (no gui,when the 3.60 m33 first came out) while using pandora it kinda put me off. Is the screen much clearer with the slim? Heard it was like two times better.

I don't think there's any difference with the screen really... unless i'm missing something. It does have twice the ram though!

No, i havent noticed any difference with the screen. Its not as big a revamp as the DS lite was to the old DS.

Bah... someone told me it was much clearer than the phat.

Re: teh RAM thing and emulators.
    The next question now is whether Daedalus (if it did make it to the Slim) would take advantage of the Slim's additional 32MiB RAM. StrmnNrmn explains that it won't necessarily give faster emulation speeds, but it can benefit in two other areas: texture cache and ROM cache. The important thing though is:

So in summary, yes, I will support the PSP Slim and Lite at some point, but no, it's unlikely to offer much of an improvement over the PSP-1000s (other than being slimmer and lighter, obviously :)

Yeah, i must say i am disappointed with strmnNrmn's initial impression but maybe it will change when he actually gets a slim!!
    Thankfully, NJ's emulators have made better use of the ram. He has now released slim compatible versions of all his emu's (CPS1/2, Neo Geo, Neo Geo CD) which eliminate the need for cache files on the memstick (in most games). And i hope to god he attempts a CPS3 emulator!! Then the psp would be the best piece of hardware ever made!!

• Advertisement

That's upgraded to 3.71 now animaX, cheers for the help.

No problem mate. Try out the CPS2 emulator. Its amazing!

animaX wrote:
    Yeah, i must say i am disappointed with strmnNrmn's initial impression but maybe it will change when he actually gets a slim!!

I think if you could make the N64 emu on the slim from scratch it would be better. Glad to see some are taking advantage of the hardware. I wonder will games start to go slim compatible only like the analogue and dual shock farce on the PS1. Time will only tell.

I wonder will games start to go slim compatible only like the analogue and dual shock farce on the PS1. Time will only tell.

I hope not, I have a psp fat for my younger brother!

animaX wrote:
    No problem mate. Try out the CPS2 emulator. Its amazing!

I will surely, which one though? there seems to be a few!

Go to pspupdates and scroll down over on the right there are links to every emulator on the psp. Click on cps2 and go with the latest one.

Advertisement